My USA-Trip someday in 2017 or 2018

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: My USA-Trip someday in 2017 or 2018

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 03, 2016 1:48 pm

I have some thoughts about how many days you "need" at DLR to make it a good visit. In July 2015 Hubby and I had five days - and it was almost too many days. Yes, we got to take the parks at a leisurely pace and enjoy what we wanted, and yes, we felt like it was ok to go back to our hotel in the afternoons to relax, then return in the evening. We avoided the worst of the crowds that way. But for the money spent, it was one day too many. Four days is the max I would think anyone would NEED. Three is just fine.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Epcotmaniac wrote:
Amy wrote:That's a great idea Lars! I wonder if you might want to open it up a bit sooner though so you have some idea of how much money you have in it? Although if you are just using it for extras, like souvenirs or treats when you are in the US, then it wouldn't matter as much.
Didn't you turn 19 once already? ;)
I might will open it the night before the flight so I don't have the chance to waste the money. I know myself. :D
And I want to be surprised how much is in it.

I will also give a friend some math lessons. I don't want to get paid for that directly because I can't charge friends for something like that. I will ask her to put some money in that box for what the lessons were worth for her.

Sorry, my english is not so good. I don't understand your last sentence. Did you call me old? :cry:
Ah, so lack of self control ~ good idea not opening the box early then. And hopefully your friend will pay you fairly for your math tutoring skills.
Definitely not old, just a bit older than 19 :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 03, 2016 2:28 pm

cy1229 wrote:I have some thoughts about how many days you "need" at DLR to make it a good visit. In July 2015 Hubby and I had five days - and it was almost too many days. Yes, we got to take the parks at a leisurely pace and enjoy what we wanted, and yes, we felt like it was ok to go back to our hotel in the afternoons to relax, then return in the evening. We avoided the worst of the crowds that way. But for the money spent, it was one day too many. Four days is the max I would think anyone would NEED. Three is just fine.
Having just returned from a trip with only a 2 day hopper pass, I would recommend at least three days. Four days would give you time to experience attractions you really enjoy more than once, or you want to hit the pool in the afternoon, and certainly if the parks are busy you might want that extra day. If you are going during a slower time of year, three would probably be fine.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 03, 2016 3:02 pm

It heavily depends on when you are going and if there are any things on your skip list. If it isn't summer (June to early Sept) then 2 days usually is enough. If there are rides you have zero interest in (such as ones that are the same in other parks, shows, rides for little kids, rides that you would have to skip for medical) then it makes 2 even more comfortable. If you are planning around seeing the nightly shows, you will also need to double check your timing as Disney has pushed some things into seasonal status.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It heavily depends on when you are going and if there are any things on your skip list. If it isn't summer (June to early Sept) then 2 days usually is enough. If there are rides you have zero interest in (such as ones that are the same in other parks, shows, rides for little kids, rides that you would have to skip for medical) then it makes 2 even more comfortable. If you are planning around seeing the nightly shows, you will also need to double check your timing as Disney has pushed some things into seasonal status.
Good point about the nighttime shows. We would have missed the fireworks this time around if I hadn't looked at the schedule more closely!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 03, 2016 11:57 pm

In your case, I don't think you would have had much warning, the changes to nightly performances (other than Fantasmic being down due to there being no river) were somewhat sudden along with the announcement that Paint the Night was going on hiatus. I think they may had even said it after you booked, but you were in the safe zone for Halloween stuff being up so it wasn't a total gamble.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Tue 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:In your case, I don't think you would have had much warning, the changes to nightly performances (other than Fantasmic being down due to there being no river) were somewhat sudden along with the announcement that Paint the Night was going on hiatus. I think they may had even said it after you booked, but you were in the safe zone for Halloween stuff being up so it wasn't a total gamble.
Any idea why they so abruptly discontinued Paint the Night? I'm not a parade person and I LOVED it. Thus, I can't imagine that it's because of a lack of interest. I did notice, in just my limited viewing, that the reliability of the floats' effects was not the greatest. One day Mack wasn't working, and the first time we saw the parade, the Frozen float was missing. So, I'm wondering if the ultra-snazzy effects were not always working right, and they pulled it to work on that.

Do you have more inside scoop?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Tue 04, 2016 8:58 pm

I do not have a scoop on that.

From what the rumors say, they need to ship the parade somewhere else (possibly Paris or WDW). It wasn't lack of interest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up at WDW while we get MSEP. The goal of the MSEP stuff is that they are going to drive nostalgia during off season (getting non-APs to sign up with the return on the SoCal pass) to generate rev in the parks. I suspect it may fall flat since there is now a full generation that did not see the original parade and it seriously is weak compared to Paint the Night (not even counting all the "Who is that?" franchises).

Either that or Owl City is being a dick about contracts.

One thing that is holding true, while profitable years do not raise all ships, when they have costly years it will impact other parks. Between opening Shanghai and the unexpected shortfall for WDW (Supposedly Rivers of Light will actually open this month), they had to leverage the other parks any way they could.