DLR vs. WDW - Major differences and similarities

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

DLR vs. WDW - Major differences and similarities

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 13, 2015 2:41 pm

I think it's really, for real, going to happen this time! And I'm VERY EXCITED! Hubby and I are going to spend 4 days / 3 nights in Anaheim so we can take a trip to Disneyland together, just before I'm away from home for two weeks in July with work training (getting trained, and doing the training).

I'm prepared for decent-sized crowds, as the dates that we're considering are rated 6-8 by Touringplans.com. It's the weekend before the 60th (July 8-11) so I'm anticipating that some of the things will be implemented for the 60th but not everything, and that crowds won't be as obnoxious as the weekend after, which was our originally considered date.

Staying off-site at a Hyatt property, either the Hyatt Regency Orange County, or the Hyatt Place near the Convention Center. The Regency has a shuttle to take people back and forth, but the Hyatt Place includes breakfast. I have points that cover either property so it's just a matter of shuttle vs. breakfast cost. Or which is available. :)

What I need to know from you is, what are the major differences and similarities? It sounds to me that people who frequent DLR are much more spontaneous and much less planned in their vacationing than people who frequent WDW. Agreed? I've also heard Fantasmic is better at DLR. (It kind of would have to be, don't you think?)

Anything else? I think we'll get 3-day park-hoppers.

Yay for us! Thanks for your help...
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: DLR vs. WDW - Major differences and similarities

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Looking at the map it looks like the Regency is just a little over a mile from DL, while the Hyatt Place is a little over 2 miles. It would be a better deal if the offers of free shuttle/breakfast were the other way around. Either way, if you look at the sheer difference in size between WDW and DL, either trek is doable and not adding a lot to the mileage you would have been walking at WDW. Although that is another matter entirely after you have been wandering around the DL resort all day. Don't forget about parking fees if you end up with a car :shock:
I know they've recently started the reserved viewing for Fantasmic at DL. You might want to check into those packages to be ensured you get a good spot. I like both the WDW and DL shows for their own special merits, but the use of the real Steamboat in DL definitely gives it that added little bit extra!
You should really be able to see everything at least once in a three day park hopper, especially since they should be having longer hours when you go. You might check around on pricing ~ I had a bit of sticker shock when we arrived at the parks and I was deciding on the amount of days and hoppers vs. non-hoppers. I think it ended up being too close to $1000 for the three of us to have park hoppers and a one day ticket for my brother that just joined us for the day to have lunch at Club 33. Me and my big mouth offering to pay for the tickets :shock: but I wouldn't trade the time we were all able to spend together that day :D
The chance to see even some of the 60th stuff should be pretty cool :goofy_bounce:
Biggest thing I always tell people that go to DL after having gone to WDW many times is you will be so pleasantly surprised by how much easier it is to get around DL ~ smaller parks by far, even though DCA is pretty big once you are in it, it is nowhere near as much walking as any of the WDW parks.
FP and single rider lines for the win ~ especially FP for Radiator Springs Racers. We also lucked out with much shorter lines for that attraction late at night, right before World of Color was set to begin.
OH, one more thing I'm thinking of right off hand, it is hot there, but no humidity so it isn't as oppressive as Florida. I would move to Southern California in a heartbeat to be closer to DL for the better weather if it wasn't so darned expensive to live out there. Not that Florida is much better, but it seems more doable to me...plus WDW is so much bigger.
I'm so excited y'all are finally getting to go!!

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jan Wed 14, 2015 9:08 am

Hey you'll be there for my birthday! Celebrate for me! Hahaha
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Sat 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Size is clearly the biggest difference, obviously. I think a three day hopper is more than enough to do everything at DL. It is really awesome that you can go from Small World to Cars Land with a slow 10 minute walk. DL seems to have more Character/CM interactions with guests and more live music. There are much better Restuarant choices at the MK in DL. Plus they have Mr Toad.

All that said, I still prefer WDW to the original. But it was really cool seeing a different "version" of the Disney I am used to.