WDW Trip Report: 1/4/15 - 1/10/15

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

WDW Trip Report: 1/4/15 - 1/10/15

Post by horizons1 » Jan Wed 07, 2015 7:06 pm

I am currently half way through a six-night stay at the Dolphin where my company is hosting its annual big employee meeting. Being a conference hotel, it is not uncommon to see people in business causal attire walking around the Swan and Dolphin. But it is strange being one of them!

My room is on the 17th floor overlooking the boat dock. The angle of the hotel allows me to see from Spaceship Earth at my extreme left all the way through and beyond the Earful Tower on the right. Here's a pic of the view tonight:

No, I haven't been able to do any parks during this trip. But I expected that and have had some fun in the resort just walking around and taking in life as a resident of Crescent Lake for a week. We went to Splitsville for a social event Monday night - fun but a bit extravagant just for bowling.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: WDW Trip Report: 1/4/15 - 1/10/15

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 07, 2015 8:06 pm

What a view! Too bad you can't sneak in a little time at the parks, but as you said, it is nice just being at the resort :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jan Sun 25, 2015 12:17 pm

So, this trip turned out to be an interesting one in that I didn't do much Disney. Still, it was really nice spending a week "living" in the Epcot resort area. I could watch the fireworks every night and took a lot of walks around Crescent Lake and up to the Studios entrance. Lots of boat rides too.

Our company's work event always culminates in a big offsite gala. Being on Disney property I fully expected the event to be some sort of private Illuminations viewing area and then EMH as Friday night they were open until 11. I guessed wrong.

Instead, they bussed us to a private party at Universal's Diagon Alley and NY Backlot areas. We had that section of the park to ourselves from 8-11, complete with food, drinks, several shows and three rides: Transformers, Mummy, and the new Escape From Gringotts.

First of all, if you've never been in a theme park when it is closed to the public it is AWESOME. I have been lucky enough to do it twice at USF as our gala was at Wizarding World at IOA a few years back. That was cool, but I have to say Diagon Alley is amazing. And I am not a Harry Potter fan. The level of themeing and detail that went into this area is stunning. Plus all the little nooks and crannies to explore - it's nuts.

As you can see in the pics, we had lots of food. Expecting it to be freezing cold, Universal was good enough to make sure there were lots of indoor areas, including the pizza restaurant. Turns out the night was mild and we didn't need it.

The Gringotts ride was ok. Better, IMHO, than the Harry Potter ride in the other park, but still too much dependency on large-format 3-D for my taste. The building that houses the queue is cool, complete with fire-breathing dragon on the roof and animatronic troll bankers in the lobby (or whatever they are.)

Transformers has in identical ride system to Spiderman. Aside from the decor and the movies it is virtually the same experience.

This all leads me to how refreshing Mummy felt as a ride experience. The conventional special effects, lighting, fog, and flame, felt old school and almost quaint. It was great. Still a fun ride. Plus, getting to ride as much as you want helps what is otherwise too short of a ride.

They had a few shows for us. Some singers in Diagon Alley, the Blues Bros. show, and walking Minion characters. In fact, there was Universal staff galore. Even though it was closed, they still had someone working the interactive Donkey animatronic that sits outside the exit to Shrek. Seemed like overkill as very few people wandered down this otherwise closed area. But the staff was great. Very friendly and lots of attention. Sure, it was a private party, but USF could've gone cheap. They didn't. We felt first class all the way up until our party ended at 11.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Wow ~ sounds like a fun evening. That would be fun to have part of a park all to your group. I wonder if our very own Ms. Swann was working on the Mummy that evening? I'm not a Harry Potter person either, but the pictures I have seen make it look like it would be worth going to see at least once to appreciate all the details.

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Wed 04, 2015 12:07 pm

What a great view you had!
horizons1 wrote:First of all, if you've never been in a theme park when it is closed to the public it is AWESOME.
I can imagine that it would be an amazing experience. The problem is figuring out how to get yourself invited to such an event or having enough money to host one yourself. ;) :lol:
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Feb Thu 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Totally agree w how refreshing the Mummy ride feels. They just throw you in the mix. Its great - I would say, its a hoot! It kind of reminds me of the Dinosaur ride a bit in that way.
I'm bored of shake you around while you watch a movie rides! No more please! Unless it is Soarin.