Polynesian Construction

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Zillerzap
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Polynesian Construction

Post by Zillerzap » Nov Wed 12, 2014 11:10 am

I just got back from 6 nights of food and wine fun at the Polynesian. I have stayed here several times and was aware of the construction when I booked and was prepared for some inconveniences. This trip was a combination of the good, the bad, and the ugly. First the good: The Polynesian did a good job of hiding all the construction that was going on with walled off pathways. It didn’t take away much of the effect the resort has, especially since all the construction is located in one half of the resort. The half where the buildings are open it still felt like the Polynesian I have been accustomed to. The bad: Since half the resort is closed due to this construction, they have half the staff and I’m not sure they kept the best half. Housekeeping was definitely a disappointment and maintenance never showed up to fix the door to our building that would lock everyone out after 11pm. No Magic bands were working to open the doors. By nights 3 & 4 guests were using everything from rocks to tables and chairs to keep the doors open for other guests. The Ugly: Since the half of the resort under construction, the walkway to the ticket and transportation center they have created takes you so far out of the way it is probably easier to walk straight to EPCOT than it was to walk to the TTC. The path was at least 3 to 4 times as long. Since the only buildings that are open are the farthest away from the TTC the walk seems even longer. No busses go from the Poly to the TTC or EPCOT until after the monorail is shut down. I love the Poly and it has always been my resort of choice, but after this experience I would definitely not choose it until the construction is over. I may give them one last chance to fix their other internal issues after the construction; otherwise I’ll go back to the Boardwalk.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Polynesian Construction

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Gosh, the door thing sounds like it could be a safety issue with it being propped open. And I wonder why they wouldn't think to add some buses to make up for the inconvenience the much longer walk??
What did you think of the Food & Wine festival? Did you try any of the food offerings or special classes?

Zillerzap

Post by Zillerzap » Nov Wed 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Amy wrote:Gosh, the door thing sounds like it could be a safety issue with it being propped open. And I wonder why they wouldn't think to add some buses to make up for the inconvenience the much longer walk??
What did you think of the Food & Wine festival? Did you try any of the food offerings or special classes?
Two words: Belgium Waffles :D

I have done the food and wine the last 3 years on race weekend and I think this year was the best. The weather was fantastic (except for rain during the race and after party), the added food kiosks were very good, and I thought the lines were long at times but not crazy, and on some days they were very short. I was really impressed by the addition of many craft beer selections at the different kiosks and thought this was an excellent addition to the festival.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Jan Thu 08, 2015 9:48 am

That is such a bummer!!! I have never stayed at the Poly, but with the new huts over the water, I am very enticed! Although i'm sure those will be the hot ticket to get and will be impossible to book for the next 10 years. Are those specifically DVC rooms??

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Jan Thu 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Belle1082 wrote:That is such a bummer!!! I have never stayed at the Poly, but with the new huts over the water, I am very enticed! Although i'm sure those will be the hot ticket to get and will be impossible to book for the next 10 years. Are those specifically DVC rooms??
Went over and checked them out while we were down for marathon weekend. According to an employee at the WL, they will be made available first to DVC members and then to the general public at a rate of $2,100.00 to $2,700.00 per night. I think I'll pass.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 22, 2015 6:42 pm

cccmouse wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:That is such a bummer!!! I have never stayed at the Poly, but with the new huts over the water, I am very enticed! Although i'm sure those will be the hot ticket to get and will be impossible to book for the next 10 years. Are those specifically DVC rooms??
Went over and checked them out while we were down for marathon weekend. According to an employee at the WL, they will be made available first to DVC members and then to the general public at a rate of $2,100.00 to $2,700.00 per night. I think I'll pass.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HOLY HEART ATTACK!!!!!

That's ridiculous. How much is a night in a suite in New York City? How much is a night in a suite in Paris? How much is it to rent a 2-bedroom bungalow in Fiji?

That's insane. Zomg that's just insane.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Wow ~ I wonder if that is just the rack rate though. No one ever pays that rate do they?

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jan Sat 24, 2015 9:13 pm

That stinks. I remember seeing that the lot between Poly and the TTC is now used for construction vehicles but that is crazy that they didn't create an easy way to walk.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Feb Sun 01, 2015 7:49 pm

Ventured over to the Poly this past week during my stay at Saratoga. I'll just say this. Good things are happening. VERY good things. The water feature in the GCH lobby is gone and has been replaced with a much smaller "tropical rock formation" to apparently help with traffic flow which makes sense to me. Rumors abound that they will be placing a 15-foot tall tiki statue (i believe it's the Polynesian village logo character) in the center of said formation. There are also several more tiki in the works for the lobby by some well known tiki artists. If any of this has been brought up earlier, I apologize. But I will also note that Pineapple lenai just outside the lobby is fantastic and their dole whips are killer! phew. Ok. I guess it's time to write my trip report now. haha!
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 01, 2015 8:18 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Ventured over to the Poly this past week during my stay at Saratoga. I'll just say this. Good things are happening. VERY good things. The water feature in the GCH lobby is gone and has been replaced with a much smaller "tropical rock formation" to apparently help with traffic flow which makes sense to me. Rumors abound that they will be placing a 15-foot tall tiki statue (i believe it's the Polynesian village logo character) in the center of said formation. There are also several more tiki in the works for the lobby by some well known tiki artists. If any of this has been brought up earlier, I apologize. But I will also note that Pineapple lenai just outside the lobby is fantastic and their dole whips are killer! phew. Ok. I guess it's time to write my trip report now. haha!
I think you might be the first person I've heard that thinks the lobby is better now without the waterfall. I understand most people are more nostalgic for the loss than anything. The addition of the tikis sound cool.

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Feb Sun 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Amy wrote:
TikiTikiRoom wrote:Ventured over to the Poly this past week during my stay at Saratoga. I'll just say this. Good things are happening. VERY good things. The water feature in the GCH lobby is gone and has been replaced with a much smaller "tropical rock formation" to apparently help with traffic flow which makes sense to me. Rumors abound that they will be placing a 15-foot tall tiki statue (i believe it's the Polynesian village logo character) in the center of said formation. There are also several more tiki in the works for the lobby by some well known tiki artists. If any of this has been brought up earlier, I apologize. But I will also note that Pineapple lenai just outside the lobby is fantastic and their dole whips are killer! phew. Ok. I guess it's time to write my trip report now. haha!
I think you might be the first person I've heard that thinks the lobby is better now without the waterfall. I understand most people are more nostalgic for the loss than anything. The addition of the tikis sound cool.
Apologies for the late reply. Getting reacquainted with reality is a harsh mistress. Anyways, though I did enjoy the fountain, the lobby was becoming dated. Granted this is obviously my own opinion and to each their own but it was definitely time for a change, what with the new Art of Animation resort and newer AK lodge and others coming to light. You also have to imagine how difficult that water was to maintain in an indoor environment, creating humidity and bacteria if not maintained properly. The addition of the tikis, and the gorgeous bungalows and OF COURSE Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in the lobby will more than definitely bandage the wound that is the lack of the original Poly fountain.

EDIT: I'm sure they're also re-imagining the lobby to combat the incoming onslaught of new DVC members to the Poly
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion