GOING NEXT MONTH! OCT 22-27!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

GOING NEXT MONTH! OCT 22-27!

Post by Metalfan » Sep Mon 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Its been sooo long since I've been here (sorry!!!) but life's been busy. Moving, starting a new job, etc.

Well my girlfriend and I will be going to the most magical place on earth next month. It will be her first trip to Disney since she was about 6. So it's been awhile. We picked up Seasonal Passes since the times we'd go aren't blocked out and we'll be at All Star Sports. Looks like we'll be doing MK on the 23, Universal (friend works there so he got us some free tickets) on the 24th, Epcot on the 25th, Hollywood Studios on the 26th and AK on the 27th in the morning before we have to get back to the hotel for the bus. So thrilled to get back! There's been trips planned that had to be cancelled all because of moving and other things. But finally we have the time to go so we're doing it! :donald: :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GOING NEXT MONTH! OCT 22-27!

Post by horizons1 » Sep Mon 29, 2014 3:51 pm

That's great Metalfan. Hope you both have a fun trip and take lots of pics to share with us!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Great news Metalfan! Sounds like a very full and fun trip ~ free tickets to Universal sound nice as well :D I'd love to check out the new Harry Potter rides, but I'm not in any way a fan so I won't be spending the money for a ticket there anytime soon.

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » Oct Wed 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Congrats! We will be there starting the 25th, going to Universal as well!

Mdme Leota
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Mdme Leota » Oct Tue 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Hope you have a wonderful trip! Can't wait for my kids to be old enough to head to Universal.

bigkidz895
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by bigkidz895 » Oct Mon 13, 2014 8:36 am

Hope you have an awesome trip!! Looking forward to a trip report when you get back!!

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » Oct Tue 14, 2014 8:20 pm

One more week...! Are you ready?

We just got a BOG FP for our final day there...that was a nice surprise!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Oct Mon 20, 2014 7:54 am

2 DAYS!!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 20, 2014 11:09 am

Metalfan wrote:2 DAYS!!
:D Just a little excited?

I WOULD BE! :)

Have a great trip!

P.S. Please take lots of photos, and let us know how things go.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Oct Tue 28, 2014 7:43 am

Well, we got home last night from a wonderful trip and I'll write up more later. I will however say, there were not a ton of pics taken and we actually ended up only doing magic kingdom and universal (I was sick for the first couple days and wasn't going anywhere....blah)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 28, 2014 8:00 am

Metalfan wrote:Well, we got home last night from a wonderful trip and I'll write up more later. I will however say, there were not a ton of pics taken and we actually ended up only doing magic kingdom and universal (I was sick for the first couple days and wasn't going anywhere....blah)
Bummer ~ sorry to hear you were sick :( Glad you were able to enjoy a little bit of your trip though. Looking forward to hearing more.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Oct Tue 28, 2014 8:20 am

Ok so this won't be a hugely long report because honestly, a few days were wiped out because I was sick and we wanted to relax some too.

Ok so a few years ago you all may have remembered me posting how my GF and I went to Orlando for Spring Training, stayed at Disney but never went to a park. That was fun. Well since then we had been trying to plan a trip to Disney for her first trip since she was a little kid. Snow days, work, etc all made us cancel our trips. Well this past week we were able to finally take our trip down there. We were scheduled to fly from TN to FL on Wednesday night. We had made plans and had everything packed and tickets bought. Wednesday comes and while I'm trying to make sure we have everything since I was meeting my GF at the airport after she got off work, I start feeling like trash. Sometimes I get little colds that last a day. I figured this was it. I call the cab and head to the airport. I'm sweating, throwing up, etc. Something was really wrong. To make a long story short, I was sick and stressed and flying to Disney. So after all that we land in Orlando and I was not feeling good but I was fighting it. We get on the Magical Express bus and it was far less than Magical. Plain white bus that wasn't that comfortable and no video playing. Then we get to the All Star Sports hotel and I come to find out I left my debit card in the cab. So that was interesting. Thankfully I had some family who could help us out so the trip was ok.

Thursday we had planned on going to the Magic Kingdom but with me feeling like garbage we ended up sleeping until around noon and then decided to go to Downtown Disney. Try and have some fun but not completely kill me. Went to Earl of Sandwich and just had a nice time. Went back to the hotel and got some more rest.

Friday comes and I'm feeling a bit better and we head to Universal (best friend works there and got us free tickets). My GF loves Universal so all was good. She was happy, I was happy, the world seemed happy. We went on Transformers, Mummy, Spiderman and some others. She went on Hulk because I didn't want to test myself. Outside of the $80+ in cab fares it was a very nice day!

Saturday was planned to be Magic Kingdom day again. Well, unfortunately due to me being stupid (remember the debit card from earlier?) and other things it was not a good day. Not sure what else to say about that lol. Ended up going to Wolfgang Pucks for dinner so that seemed to cure all ills.

Sunday was the day, everything started working out and we woke up a bit later than I had hoped but nothing was going to stop me from finally taking her to MK. We got to the park around 10 am and proceeded to ride everything we could ride until the park closed at 7. The look on her face was worth everything that had gone on during the trip and just made it all seem right. She was like a 6 year old asking questions, running around and wanting to go on everything. Obviously going on all the rides was impossible but we were able to do all the "staples". We set up our fast passes for Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain and Pirates. So we ended up doing Buzz, Stitch, Monsters Inc, Space Mountain, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, Philharmagic, Big Thunder Mountain and then Space Mountain again to end the day. Truly a great day after everything that had happened and a wonderful way to end the trip.

Monday we went to the Polynesian to get Dole Whips and have lunch and then we headed back to the hotel to get on the Magical Express bus to the airport. This one actually had a video so that was nice.

The trip had ups and downs and I take a lot of the blame for it. This is the first time I've ever had to actually plan a Disney vacation (when you live in Orlando the planning is....drive down the highway and if you forget anything go home and get it). But this was my first time ever having to plan flights, etc and I struggled with it. Not everything went perfect but realistically it ended up being a nice trip overall. We had 1 "bad" day and 4 really nice days. I think that's good lol. Of course, when I don't get something right the first time I want to try it again. So I was pushing to go back in December but I think she wants to wait until after Christmas and stuff so I think we're gonna look into mid-end of January for our next trip. This time we'll go with travelers checks, cash or we'll do something so I can avoid the mistake I made this time lol.I figure if I can get planning this week it'll make it easier to upgrade a bit and go with a moderate or something this time.

So that's my boring report lol. I'm not good at trip reports. Maybe next time I'll update a thread live. Didn't bring the computer this time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 28, 2014 8:46 am

Well, your day at the MK sounded like a very fun full day! Bummer about the debit card. Did you ever get it back?
Over $80 to get to Universal and back? Yikes! That sounds like a lot. Not all that surprising though since I had a $20 cab fee from the All Stars to the Contemporary when I went on the Steam Train tour ~ and that was just on property.
Sounds like you did pretty good for your first time planning a trip. It is stressful getting airline tickets, and everything all planned out just right. I wonder why they didn't have a normal Magical Express bus though :?

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Oct Tue 28, 2014 9:06 am

Amy, no I never got it back. Cancelled it that night because the cab driver was off for the night and didn't want to wait.

When we left to go to Universal we hit bad traffic and when we came back we hit bad traffic lol Bad planning on that. But it was HHN day so park closed early.

It was a learning experience for sure. This time I'll be much better prepared to plan everything.

For getting into Orlando at 11 pm you'd think they could have a nice bus available! But who knows.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Tue 28, 2014 10:32 am

Well you can ignore my "no teasers" remark in the other thread. :lol:

BIG FAT BUMMER!!! Sorry you got sick. That really, really stinks. I remember I had the plague (bronchitis, sinusitis, and a lot of other itises) about 2 weeks before we went to WDW in Jan 2010. Daughter #2 came down with it, and then 2 days before we left daughter #1 got sick, and she was on antibiotics for half our trip. At least the meds kicked in pretty quickly for her and she didn't miss much time on our trip. The whole trip wasn't a waste but it definitely was scaled back.

My suggestion for you for your next trip is to get a pre-paid American Express card. Throw your trip cash on it (it's also a good way to save before you go, by transferring money to it) and then you can either leave your debit card home or just not fuss with it while you're cabbing it or whatever. If it's lost they'll get you a new one. The only catch is it takes a full 5 business days for money that you transfer to it from your bank account to show up and be available on your Amex prepaid card. I used one of these for work expenses for awhile until I qualified for a new credit card and it worked quite well.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016