December 2014

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

snomasnayr
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

December 2014

Post by snomasnayr » Sep Sat 27, 2014 11:11 am

My family and I were planning on going to Disney World in December, but the earliest we could go is probably the 15th. We went in December 2007 but we got there on the 3rd and stayed 10 days. The crowds weren't bad in 2007 when we went but I was wondering if any of you had an idea about what the crowds would be like if we got there on the 15th and stayed about a week. I imagine it gets more crowded the closer it is to Christmas, but would it not be worth going if we end up doing more waiting than riding because of the crowds? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: December 2014

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 27, 2014 2:19 pm

It was definitely busier when we went closer to Christmas, but it seems busier all year long now with the various events and groups that visit. I think you would enjoy it as long as you know you might have some additional wait times. Plus you will be able to see the Osborne Lights! I was hoping to get there this year as I'm worried with all the changes at DHS they might get rid of the Osborne Lights but it just isn't going to happen this year :(

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Alacrity » Sep Mon 29, 2014 8:35 am

You might just hit a "calm before the storm". At least as calm as it gets these days. It kinda depends on when folks Christmas breaks start. I don't know the dates off hand but that is when things will get busy. I think the parks will start to get crazy busy Christmas week (say, around the 19th) and be impossible to move in by Christmas through New Years week. For sure make your ADRs and Fastpasses as soon as you can get and tix for the Christmas party and other extras as they come available.

Even if the parks are busy the resorts offer up some nice decorations and goings on. You can always take a break and take a tour of the resorts. Gingerbread at the Grand Flo is tasty and the Contemporary has Christmas goodies too!

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Oct Wed 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Amy wrote:It was definitely busier when we went closer to Christmas, but it seems busier all year long now with the various events and groups that visit. I think you would enjoy it as long as you know you might have some additional wait times. Plus you will be able to see the Osborne Lights! I was hoping to get there this year as I'm worried with all the changes at DHS they might get rid of the Osborne Lights but it just isn't going to happen this year :(
I was scared for a second. I misread and thought you said the Osborne lights weren't going to be there this year. We got to see them in '07 and they were really cool. I loved how the lights were synced up with the music.

Thanks for the help.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 01, 2014 7:56 pm

snomasnayr wrote:
Amy wrote:It was definitely busier when we went closer to Christmas, but it seems busier all year long now with the various events and groups that visit. I think you would enjoy it as long as you know you might have some additional wait times. Plus you will be able to see the Osborne Lights! I was hoping to get there this year as I'm worried with all the changes at DHS they might get rid of the Osborne Lights but it just isn't going to happen this year :(
I was scared for a second. I misread and thought you said the Osborne lights weren't going to be there this year. We got to see them in '07 and they were really cool. I loved how the lights were synced up with the music.

Thanks for the help.
There were some rumors that they weren't going to be there this year, but they are definitely there! They are one of the highlights of our trips :D Glad you will be able to see them again!

snomasnayr

Post by snomasnayr » Oct Wed 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Alacrity wrote:You might just hit a "calm before the storm". At least as calm as it gets these days. It kinda depends on when folks Christmas breaks start. I don't know the dates off hand but that is when things will get busy. I think the parks will start to get crazy busy Christmas week (say, around the 19th) and be impossible to move in by Christmas through New Years week. For sure make your ADRs and Fastpasses as soon as you can get and tix for the Christmas party and other extras as they come available.

Even if the parks are busy the resorts offer up some nice decorations and goings on. You can always take a break and take a tour of the resorts. Gingerbread at the Grand Flo is tasty and the Contemporary has Christmas goodies too!
If we do go I hope it is a "calm." I was supposed to get off of my co-op work on the 19th but my supervisor said I could get off earlier if I wanted. The finals at my brother's college could end as late as the 14th of December, so I thought we could leave on the 15th and get a couple of good days in before the Christmas rush.

Why can't people stay at home for Christmas?! It make planning a whole lot easier. ;)