How Do You Manage Your Vacation Budget?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

How Do You Manage Your Vacation Budget?

Post by horizons1 » Jun Wed 25, 2014 4:43 pm

There are lots of ways people save for their big Disney trip. Some set a tight, fixed budget and give themselves a daily allowance. Others have a general target and try to keep things in check. Still others throw caution to the wind and don't worry about what they're spending until they get home and see the credit card bill.

I'm probably in the second camp. I am super-thrifty in advance, finding the best possible deal on hotel, air, car, etc. I don't always pick the cheapest things though, preferring comfort over price in my choice of resorts, flights, etc. Once the vacation is underway, I watch out for "big rocks" that might blow a hole in my budget but otherwise don't stress out about the daily spend too much.

How about you?!
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: How Do You Manage Your Vacation Budget?

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 25, 2014 6:01 pm

This is a good question! We really look for the deals and savings on rooms and airfare before we go. I don't have a set spending limit when in the parks, but I do keep food and drink spending down which isn't hard because Figment and I generally share a quick service meal and have plenty to eat. And we both are happy drinking water which is free. I do tend to spend a bit on souvenirs, but I am fairly picky and don't get a lot of the cheap, plastic things that scream Disney. I generally go with the idea of finding a new pair of earrings or a ring, a new CD or book, and a t-shirt. World of Disney generally sucks me in though and I do often spend more than I was thinking I would. Candy for presents for those back home is always on the list ~ everyone seems to like that best :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jun Thu 26, 2014 12:28 pm

The bbq ribs/chicken platter at Cosmic Ray's is a great quick serve meal for sharing.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 26, 2014 2:07 pm

horizons1 wrote:The bbq ribs/chicken platter at Cosmic Ray's is a great quick serve meal for sharing.
Oh my goodness yes! We got that once and it was huge!! And yummy :D

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Sat 28, 2014 4:03 pm

We skimp and save all we can for a year setting aside a special account for (Disney Vacation only. Keeps hands off) :twisted: My wife and I also give each other Disney gift cards for all Birthdays, Holidays, Anni, Fathers and Mothers day. That gives us out spending money while at Disney. And we also have a Disney Visa card which we now have $400.00 attached to. :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jun Sun 29, 2014 12:40 pm

The gift card idea is great - I like the idea of locking in money you can only spend on vacation.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Sun 29, 2014 9:52 pm

horizons1 wrote:The gift card idea is great - I like the idea of locking in money you can only spend on vacation.

Like a Christmas Club account?

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Jul Tue 01, 2014 2:57 pm

horizons1 wrote: I'm probably in the second camp. I am super-thrifty in advance, finding the best possible deal on hotel, air, car, etc. I don't always pick the cheapest things though, preferring comfort over price in my choice of resorts, flights, etc. Once the vacation is underway, I watch out for "big rocks" that might blow a hole in my budget but otherwise don't stress out about the daily spend too much.

How about you?!
I tend to spend less than most people. I plan pretty far in advance, use time share and airline points to reduce costs and pre-pay for as much as possible so I don't get a HUGE credit card bill at once. I typically only buy 1 souvenir (a scarf/shawl from the Yak & Yeti shop). Granted that may change on my next trip since it will be my first with my kid(s) who will no doubt want everything they see.

But I do create a budget and stick to it.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 01, 2014 4:46 pm

JenMuse wrote:
horizons1 wrote: I'm probably in the second camp. I am super-thrifty in advance, finding the best possible deal on hotel, air, car, etc. I don't always pick the cheapest things though, preferring comfort over price in my choice of resorts, flights, etc. Once the vacation is underway, I watch out for "big rocks" that might blow a hole in my budget but otherwise don't stress out about the daily spend too much.

How about you?!
I tend to spend less than most people. I plan pretty far in advance, use time share and airline points to reduce costs and pre-pay for as much as possible so I don't get a HUGE credit card bill at once. I typically only buy 1 souvenir (a scarf/shawl from the Yak & Yeti shop). Granted that may change on my next trip since it will be my first with my kid(s) who will no doubt want everything they see.

But I do create a budget and stick to it.
I've read on forums and other places that parents can save a lot of money by purchasing little Disney items, t-shirts, little toys, etc. (you can find them at practically any store now) and taking them with you. I'm sure you will want to get some actual souvenirs from WDW as well, but that could help stretch the souvenir budget for the little ones :mickey:

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Jul Tue 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Amy wrote:I've read on forums and other places that parents can save a lot of money by purchasing little Disney items, t-shirts, little toys, etc. (you can find them at practically any store now) and taking them with you. I'm sure you will want to get some actual souvenirs from WDW as well, but that could help stretch the souvenir budget for the little ones :mickey:
Oh yes, very much plan on doing this. When I went to DL with my best friends and their kids, we did this. I bought some Disney coloring books at target, stuffed them into my bag and then got a cast member to give me a DL bag so I could present them to the kids. Way cheaper at Target than DL.

When we were little, we were only allowed to buy 1 souvenir every trip and it was only purchased on the last day so we could take our time making up our minds and surveying every shop. Was a very good (but hard) lesson in impulse control and long term thinking for a 5 year old.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs