Inaugural Dopey's Challenge 2014

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Inaugural Dopey's Challenge 2014

Post by cy1229 » Jun Tue 24, 2014 8:45 am

wewantsdaredhead wrote:
Guinness is actually a great beer for runners—high in carbs and low in alcohol.
This photo is BRILLIANT! Made my mouth water.

Backtracking just a bit...
Brown County State Park is BEAUTIFUL. It's the only place in Indiana that has hills (I'm so not joking) and it's mostly in the Hoosier National Forest, so it's also heavily forested. The camp sites are in the woods, and you can go horseback riding in the park. Sadly, there aren't any "natural" swimming holes, but there is a pool. McCormick's Creek has a waterfall and a creek (you could figure that out) and the camp sites are pretty, too... and it's also in the HNF so also very pretty. But BCSP is near the town of Nashville which has lots of artist's shops and great places to poke around and eat. Mostly eat.

I have no earthly idea when we'll visit the Mouse again. Meghan will be in her second year (of six!) of college this year, and when she graduates with her bachelor's Ellie will graduate from high school and we'll be starting that all over again. I predict being very cash poor for the next 10 years. :P I keep telling myself I'm investing in their future, and their ability to care for me when I'm senile and (more of) a major pain in the butt.

I'm with Amy, loving the idea of dedicating a mile to someone. I'm going to have to build upon that idea to get my own white hiney moving.

Love the photos of the Incredible Shrinking NaCler. Keep the stories coming! :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Tue 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Amy wrote:I did sort of wonder where the other brother was in all the race photos.
NaCler looks like the incredible shrinking man ~ good job buddy!
I like the idea of dedicating miles to people. That was very smart. I wonder if I could use the same sort of thing to motivate myself on a much smaller scale in my daily exercise?
Is that water picture in Port Orleans? It's really pretty :D
Sadly our next trip is not in the works at all. Too many house repairs to do here in the immediate future to be thinking of spending money elsewhere, much less somewhere fun like WDW...sigh. :(
Yeah that idea was great. It really helped us later on. I'm glad I was smart enough to marry the gal who thought of it. :lol:

Yes that is port orleans. That's a shot of the Sassagoula River after the 10k. It was still early with no boats running yet.

Bummer about the next WDW trip. I am so blessed that we seem to always have another trip on the horizon.

cy1229 wrote: This photo is BRILLIANT! Made my mouth water.

Backtracking just a bit...
Brown County State Park is BEAUTIFUL. It's the only place in Indiana that has hills (I'm so not joking) and it's mostly in the Hoosier National Forest, so it's also heavily forested. The camp sites are in the woods, and you can go horseback riding in the park. Sadly, there aren't any "natural" swimming holes, but there is a pool. McCormick's Creek has a waterfall and a creek (you could figure that out) and the camp sites are pretty, too... and it's also in the HNF so also very pretty. But BCSP is near the town of Nashville which has lots of artist's shops and great places to poke around and eat. Mostly eat.

I have no earthly idea when we'll visit the Mouse again. Meghan will be in her second year (of six!) of college this year, and when she graduates with her bachelor's Ellie will graduate from high school and we'll be starting that all over again. I predict being very cash poor for the next 10 years. :P I keep telling myself I'm investing in their future, and their ability to care for me when I'm senile and (more of) a major pain in the butt.

I'm with Amy, loving the idea of dedicating a mile to someone. I'm going to have to build upon that idea to get my own white hiney moving.

Love the photos of the Incredible Shrinking NaCler. Keep the stories coming! :)
Thanks for the tip on the park. We are always looking for a new place to go. I will seriously check it out. :)

I hope the mileage thing can inspire y'all to run or walk at the least. ;)
Bummer to you as well on the trip. I am so lucky my lovely wife has become a fan. She looks forward to it just like me.
Does your hubby love wdw like we do?

Thanks again for reading ladies. :)

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Wed 25, 2014 5:53 am

Saturday Jan 11th 2014—Round 3 of Dopey--and a Half with my Bro, NaCler!

Well yet again my (biological) Brother got us up at 2:45 or so, so the alarm never went off. We stumbled around in a haze and grabbed our bagels and Gu and water…
After talking with NaCler yesterday, we decided that we would do a Galloway walk-run for the half (his first). 2 minute run (jog) followed by a 1 minute walk. Again, this race wasn’t our focus—we (my wife and I) were going to conserve all resources for tomorrow’s grueling 26.2.

Day 3: Still smiling!

NaCler also told us that our very own RDeacon was going to run with us. (I won’t tell their story—either RDeacon or NaCler can tell that one.) Anyone that follows Mr Deacon on FB knows that he is pretty fast! Faster than us for sure, but for whatever reason, he said he was going to stick with us—the 4 amigos were going to conquer 13.1 together.
We started out with a bang! Fireworks and we’re off. The miles were clicking off----we entered the MK Parking lot and I took this one of us:

I am not going to post a lot of details about the half because I want NaCler to do it. It was his first half. I will tell you this—I am very very proud of him—he has come so far and he’s a running fool now, just like the rest of us. He did great and I know he will only get faster :)

We left him and rdeacon at mile 9 or so—we had our own battle to fight and he insisted he was ok and to go on without us. But I am sure he will tell you all about it. I am grateful that rdeacon stayed with him—I would have felt awful if he didn’t finish after we left him! I felt bad enough as it is…
But he finished and he got his medal. I posted this pic on here right after the race:

Some interesting tidbits:
Right after Mary dedicated Mile 11 to our soldiers, we came upon the Toy Story Army man yelling at people to “take that hill” and do some pushups, etc. It made Mary and me smile.
At one point Mary was ready to just run like crazy and I had to talk her out of it. I said, “Why? For what?” It was already a slow pace for us—it was just one part of the challenge and I didn’t want to burn myself out before Sunday’s main event. She acknowledged her insanity and stayed with me ;)
It was just a nice, easy race for us and our pace showed it. It was like winning a big game…that gets you into an even bigger game. You are happy, but you know that a bigger mountain lies just beyond it. It was a weird feeling.

In order to track all the Dopey’s, Disney gave us wristbands after each race. Here’s how that looked after the half. (Plus my magic band!):

After a shower (and a beer!), Mary and I went over to the MK to walk around a little and take in some sights. We rode on the WDRR (boy is it hard to get moving after sitting for 15 mins!) and I don’t recall we did anything else other than walk around and talk about our plan to attack Day 4 of Dopey’s Challenge.

So that night NaCler had scored a 6 person ADR at Ohana and talked us into it. It was early so we felt OK about it—plus it was all good protein to help us recover, right? The Deacons, NaCler and his Mom and Mary and me all sat down and broke bread together. It was great to meet the Deacons and NaCler’s mom. What great people. All because of this love we have for Disney and this crazy website…isn’t it cool??? There are pics on FB from this event--but I didn't take any.
There was no nervousness—no awkward pauses—it was just like old friends out for a casual meal. Plus it was our first visit to Ohana! We loved it and I know we will be back.
A nice (filling) early dinner and we headed to the room to relax and prep for tomorrow’s Dopey-ness.

I don’t know for sure, but I would be willing to bet I had a beer (or two) at the room and I was asleep by 8.

Next: The final day of this ridiculous running event!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 25, 2014 8:37 am

I saw all your fancy wristbands ~ so you had to keep adding one each day? Those would have driven me nuts :shock:
I don't think I remember the fact that RDeacon ran with y'all in the half ~ and I must have missed the photo on FB :( It really is fun to get together with people from the forum and it is just like sitting and talking with old friends :D
I sometimes have problems unfolding myself out of the car after one of my 1/2 hour commutes ~ I can only imagine what it is like after running all those miles and then sitting down for a bit!
Yay for finishing the first three races ~ on the edge of my seat to read about the big one!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Wed 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Does my hubby like Disney? Oh, H you have no idea... :) In a word, YES. Probably more than I do.

Loving the step-wise TR... I can't believe you've never been to 'Ohana! We love it!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Thu 26, 2014 6:29 am

The BIG Day! Sunday Jan 12th 2014 Day 4 of Dopey

Well, surprise, surprise! The alarm actually went off today…or should I say all THREE went off at once lol. I guess running and the lack of sleep finally caught up with us!

Check us out on Day 4-- :lol: A little different that Day 1 isn’t it?!
(Is it just me...or is that guy in the red checking out my behind?? ;) )

My brother went off to his corral and Mary and me went to ours way in the back ;) Our plan today was the same as yesterday—2:1 run/walk. Nice and easy. It was supposed to get hotter as the morning wore on….too hot. I was having flashbacks to last year’s hot race and I did not like it.

At 5:30 the first wave was released (the wheelchairs) and we didn’t even move for half an hour. At about 6:15 we finally had our moment. This was it—every weekend we sacrificed for the last 4 months and all the hundreds of miles we put in—it all came down to this one morning at WDW.

At the last minute we decided to jog the first mile to let the crowd thin out before we started the walk/run. The first 6 miles or so are the exact same as the half so it was like de ja vu for us. We felt great! So far there were no ill effects from the previous three days of running.

Mile 5 and 6 were (just by coincidence) dedicated to the two people that I “blame” for getting us hooked on running and WDW. Our nephew Codie, who passed away at age 12 from Leukemia—Mary ran her first half at WDW in 2007 for Team in Training in his honor. And my sister-in-law—she put us up at POR on that trip (she worked for TnT back then) and re-ignited my love of WDW. I even yelled to Mary—this is all their fault! ;)

Into the MK and then out—I swear it never gets old when you come around that corner and there’s the Castle. It’s a great sight. Plus there are people just lining Main St cheering you on!

At mile 8 you go into the WDW Speedway and make a lap around it. They have all these exotic and old cars. We stopped for a few pics—our sons are real car fanatics.

Mile 10---headed toward DAK and the sun starts to come up—still doing good but the heat was just going to get worse. Coming out of DAK I felt a little spacey and just then some young boy held up a bag of pretzels to me and I grabbed them and ate all of them. Wow they were better than a steak from Le Cellier! I felt like a million bucks.

Mile 14. Mile 15...

Mile 15 is out on Osceola Parkway and it’s a bad part of the race—it’s nothing but open highway (no shade) and a sea of racers as far as you can see. This is what broke me last year. I walked this whole mile last year—but not this year! We got to Mile 16 and my sis-in-law texted us our pace 13:37. For some reason Mary didn’t like that and said, “Come on we got to GO!” I said, “but we’re on a walk and it’s time to Gu!!! Where are you going???” She left me…

So I finished my Gu and my walk and started jogging again. Without Mary’s watch to beep at me, I had no idea when to start and stop the jogging… Since I was on a downhill I just jogged the whole thing—probably about 3 mins instead of 2. And there she was walking waiting on me…

I said what the heck are you doing? Are you crazy? Lol Who knows—she just had a moment there. But we were back on track. I told Mary to take her Gu and hush up ;) Something about mile 15-16 breaks you down I swear!

OK less than 10 to go—single digits, but still a long way…Just before 17 you enter WWoS complex and without a doubt this is the worst part of the race. It’s all sorts of turns and you run around soccer fields and baseballs diamonds and tennis courts and even a track at one point. Its only saving graces are that it’s shaded in parts and the Sponge. Ahh yes The Sponge...

Last year entering the complex, they have small plastic kiddie pools filled with water and long, thin sponges. They were heaven!!!! I kept mine until the end last year and re-wet it at every water stop. So Mary says—hey this is where the sponges are! And we came around and saw the kiddie pools and they were filled with….washcloths!????? What the? It was a real bummer. I said to the volunteer—hey these were sponges last year and his reply was: Well come back last year and get one. Wow!! Now that I look back I can imagine that he heard that complaint 5000 times before I got there and was sick of it.
So, I grabbed my washcloth and cooled off—I was glad to have it.

Mary breaking rules during the race. Silly Mary!

In and out of WWoS and back onto Osceola Parkway at about mile 20.5. As we made the left we saw the dreaded balloon ladies entering the WWoS. For those that don’t know, the balloon ladies are sort of like the Alamo---if you are behind them, you are in danger of getting swept. They are not official by any means, but they sort of set that 16min/mile pace so you know if they are coming up on you---you better get moving. People dread the sight of them but they are actually very nice ladies that run every WDW race. There were a few people behind them and Mary and I knew what that meant… :(

Then just up a little farther, there was the sweeper bus. Their race was over…

Mile 21 was upon us and I asked who it was dedicated to and Mary said “my Mom” and that was it for Mary—she was overcome with emotion. Between the poor folks getting swept and Mary’s Mom—it was enough. She (we) sucked it up just in time for the last hill of any sort (if you can call it a hill)---the onramp from Osceola to World Dr.
It’s a bear running up it, but you are rewarded with a nice, long downhill and into DHS. As you turn into DHS there is a character stop—this year it was Wreck It Ralph. We don’t stop for many characters, but Mary talked me into this one.

Just inside of DHS you get candy! It’s a nice treat after 22 miles. Last year I got two Hershey minis, but this year we got gummi treats. I grabbed a few bags—they might come in handy around mile 25!

DHS is always a good part of the course. There are TONS of people there cheering you on and you are in a WDW park and…you are so close to the end! As you exit, you leave all those people behind and make the long lonely trek down along the waterway between Epcot and DHS. Spectators are scarce until you get to the Yacht and Beach Club.
Mile 24.

Up onto the boardwalk… It was right around here that we looked at our time and Mary declared that we might still run this in under 6 hrs. I tried to do the math in my head, but that’s hard to do after 24.5 miles! Eventually, I agreed and said—no more walk stops—let’s finish this out!

So off we went. Mary grabbed a pretzel from a spectator at mile 25—she needed salt. We were so close!!

At the bridge to France, we saw a woman who we trained with back home---she didn’t look good, but she was moving along. We encouraged her and kept moving. After the hill by America—we kicked it into high gear. I told Mary to let it all out—don’t save it for tomorrow—there was no tomorrow! It had to be our fastest mile of the race—man, we were rolling. We were passing people like crazy.

Down past SSE—hang a right to the choir. Yes they have a full on choir singing at mile 26—it’s very inspirational.
Mile 26. Point 2 to go!

Once we cleared Epcot, I started to look for NaCler. There he was, cheering us on!! We kept moving—we were still hustling to beat 6 hrs. And there it was—the finish line…
What a sight! I high fived Goofy at the end and Mary stopped her watch: 5:57:41. We did it! Mary CRUSHED her prior time by more than a half hour. Plus we felt great!!! Lots of training and the run-walk paid off.

At the end you get three medals: The Dopey, The Goofy and the one for the Full. It’s a lot of weight but nobody complained. I think I may have even cracked a little tear there (or was it sweat) it was very emotional.

Me and my bling:

Glad to be done!!!!!

We met up with NaCler and my brother’s family. It was time to rest…and drink beer!!! :)

And there it was…a year in the making. Months and months of training and lost weekends. 48.6 miles was in the books.

Not to sound like a broken record but: Never again!

I will post the rest of trip soon enough, but this is the end of the running portion. We stayed one more night at POR (alone!) and then moved into my brother’s time share at Bonnet Creek.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 26, 2014 7:10 am

Very cool ~ and what an accomplishment too! That is so funny that Mary just decided to take off like that ~ silly Mary :lol: Was the pretzel she grabbed from a spectator being offered? :shock:
The sponges probably were an extra expense they could do away with. The washcloths are probably older ones from the hotel that they don't care about if they don't get them back.
The amazing thing to me is, you both looked better and better as the race went on. Running seems to agree with y'all ;)
Looking forward to the next installment!!

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jul Mon 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Amy wrote:Very cool ~ and what an accomplishment too! That is so funny that Mary just decided to take off like that ~ silly Mary :lol: Was the pretzel she grabbed from a spectator being offered? :shock:
LOL--yes. The woman that gave it to her had an entire box of them. She had a plastic glove on and was just holding them up.
Amy wrote:The sponges probably were an extra expense they could do away with. The washcloths are probably older ones from the hotel that they don't care about if they don't get them back.
The amazing thing to me is, you both looked better and better as the race went on. Running seems to agree with y'all ;)
Looking forward to the next installment!!
I will take the compliment even though I disagree with you ;)
I can say this---we trained hard...so it wasnt a surprise that Mary did so well.

Thats a good point about the washcloths---never thought about it like that---and now that I look back I was glad to have it and it worked fine. I guess I was just surprised at the change.

Just about to post the rest of the trip in one massive post. :D

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Aug Sat 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Just found and read WWDRH's Dopey report. Awesome! NOBODY writes a run Disney trip report like WWDRH. Keep running because we are just about 5 months away from doing it again.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Mon 04, 2014 9:58 am

cccmouse wrote:Just found and read WWDRH's Dopey report. Awesome! NOBODY writes a run Disney trip report like WWDRH. Keep running because we are just about 5 months away from doing it again.

Thanks man--I apprecate that :)
I was wondering if you had gotten around to reading mine yet.

5 months!!! :shock: Ugh---is it that soon!!! :D