Inaugural Dopey's Challenge 2014

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Inaugural Dopey's Challenge 2014

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Mon 16, 2014 9:15 am

I have been away from here for far too long! I miss it and all of you...
Anyway, work is concluding on my TR for when my wife and I ran the Dopey Challenge in January...

Stay tuned!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Inaugural Dopey's Challenge 2014

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 16, 2014 12:43 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:I have been away from here for far too long! I miss it and all of you...
Anyway, work is concluding on my TR for when my wife and I ran the Dopey Challenge in January...

Stay tuned!!!
Yay! You're alive!! :lol:
Looking forward to your TR...hmmmm, that reminds me that I need to do something...

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Tue 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Still breathing. :lol: :goofy:

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Sat 21, 2014 10:32 am

Well as with all of my TRs, I like to start when the seed was planted and for this trip, it was wayyyy back an entire year before we ever left home to run Dopey’s Challenge.
Cast your mind back… It’s a cold winter day in January of 2013. My wife and I had just finished running the hardest race I had ever imagined possible: The 20th anniversary WDW Marathon (presented by Cigna). I swore (on more than one occasion) that that was the only time I would ever run 26.2 miles again—no more no how no WAY. I was a one and done. Been there, done that, got the tattoo… :)
And then…then they got me. They came out with Dopey’s Challenge: A 5k, 10k, half and full on four consecutive days. Insanity, right? Right! I told my brother that his first full marathon should be part of Dopey—he laughed. They all laughed. Shoot, even I laughed! …until April.
My wife, my brother and his wife talked about, “Why not?” Then we all said it was crazy. Then we talked ourselves into it. I announced: I’m out! They could do what they wanted, but I was just going to run the half with my brother, NaCler. Everyone agreed—no way, let’s pass.
But it’s the inaugural race!!! C’mon everybody! Nope—this dude was out.
Then sometime in April I told my lovely wife, “Hey if you are going to do this—I need to sign you up the day it opens it WILL sell out.” So around Noon (right in the middle of a meeting at work) I signed us BOTH up for it. Why you ask? I don’t know… Mary said, “Let’s just do it—we’ll figure out the details later.” Maybe it was my wife’s beautiful blue eyes winking at me; maybe it was another trip to the World; maybe it was all the taunting from my Brother (my biological brother ;) ) Who knows…
All I can tell you is that I spent $1,000 with two mouse clicks for some ridiculous race that I swore I would never do ever again. My Brother signed up for it also, but not his wife. She decided to pass and take care of the kids (oh yeah—someone had to stay with them :) ).
The race eventually sold out in about a week. The 10K (also an inaugural race) sold out really quickly as well. My other brother, NaCler, signed up for the 10K and the Half.
You all know me, the eternal planner…I started with the plans right away. The three of us decided to stay at POR from Weds through Monday and then we would all move to my brother’s time share and stay until Friday. Like all of my trips, things changed and dates were added and subtracted, but that was the plan from the get-go.
We trained and we trained and we trained. We trained so long that when our training started it was about 102 in the shade and the last long run it was 35! The real challenge in our minds was running a full marathon…the day after running a half! We knew we could do 26.2 alone, we had done it the year before…but throw in those other races and lots of doubt starts creeping in. The main plan was to do several back to back long runs. On Saturday we would do 5 and on Sunday do 10, etc. The longest training we did was 12 and 20. 22 was the plan, but it just didn’t happen.
But you know what? We trained so hard for this, when we ran 20 that day, the 12 the day before really weren’t a factor. I guess that’s a good thing—either that or we are crazy! :)
And so begins the long wait… Training passed the time as well as the trip to WDW for Wine and Dine, but all the time I spent scouring the web for Dopey info---you wouldn’t believe it if I told you.
Anyway…our final plans were as follows:
Arrive Tuesday the 7th in the evening (we were flying on Southwest) and stay at POR with my Brother in a Royal Room. Wednesday was the Expo and packet pickup. Thursday-Sunday-RUN, RUN, RUN!! Kick my brother out on Sunday so we have one night alone. Check out and transfer to Bonnet Creek on Monday. Mary’s brother was set to arrive Monday and stay with us until we left on Thursday. So for those keeping score---on Monday through Thursday, we were going to fill up that timeshare! 9 of us in a two bedroom room.
Here is the “Royal Room.” We really dug the fireworks in the headboard---the kids hit the button about 1000 times.
I apolgize if any of these are sideways---picture site is giving me fits. What else is new... :roll:

This was going to be the longest trip ever to WDW for us, as well as the most I would ever run over 4 days (or ever will!).
OK so let’s get running everyone! :)
Tuesday Jan 7th 2014
There were bad storms all over the country on that Tuesday and while we weren’t affected, we were worried about all the cancelled flights and how it would trickle down to us. Well, it set us back a few hours, but we got there eventually.
Here we are nervous and excited:
A quick DME trip and we were at POR in no time. It was just enough time to have a beer and relax before bed. The only problem was that since we got in so late, our luggage could come anytime up until midnight—yikes. It’s well documented that anything past 9 and you risk losing me to sleep. :)
Sure enough we fell asleep about 10:30 and I woke up to Mary kicking me to answer the door. Luckily I had set out a proper tip because in that haze who knows if I would remember to tip or how much! Back to bed—we had to get up and go to the expo…Hopefully avoiding the mess that was the Wine and Dine expo, when we waited forever for everything.
Wednesday Jan 8th 2014
We slept in just a little because we had nowhere to go until 10. The busses didn’t start running to the expo until 9 according to the info we were given. We got restless and decided to hit the store and see what we could buy when a bus rolled up at 8:45 or so. We hopped on and away we went! It was about 9:30 before we go there and walked to the expo proper—well guess what? It was already rolling and no one was in there—gotta love Disney! We got in and got out in no time. We bought a few Dopey-related items, but nothing crazy. Since my brother wasn’t coming in until that afternoon, we agreed to get his bibs and shirts. So we left there with 18 shirts plus 6 bibs and assorted other swag. (The shirts we got were one each for the four races, plus a Dopey and a Goofy one.)
Here is the Dopey one:
We got out of there so quick that my sis-in-law texted us while we were on the bus headed back to get something for her—too late!!!
We dumped our stuff at the room and headed off to Epcot! We crushed some Club Cool—we like the new flavors! We miss the mezzo-mix, but these replacements are OK. The pineapple one is my favorite (except Beverly of course ;) )
It was empty!
We wandered around a little bit—we watched Captain EO, rode Test Track and then headed into WS. We got back to America and there was a random assortment of characters just standing on the walkway—it was awesome and there was no one around. I had a picture made with several of them. Mainly the Peter Pan characters because my nephews like them so much.
Here we split a brat and a beer (ok so maybe we didn’t split a beer…) Extra Kraut for Amy!
After awhile we boarded a bus for POR to meet with my brother. We really took it easy these first few days—we didn’t want to walk too much before all the races. The 5k was tomorrow.
Our palace for the week:
We hunkered down in the room and I think we were in bed by 8. We had to get up at 3am all days except for the 5k—I think we slept in until 3:30 that day. Trust me; the four early days in a row were part of the challenge!
Thursday Jan 9th 2014 Day 1 of the Inaugural Dopey Challenge!
3:30 comes early no matter where you are…
The 5K wasn’t anything to be afraid of—if you train properly 5K should be a 2-3 times a week run for any long distance training. But still getting up at 3:30 and going through the motions is enough to wear you out. We finished it and I think we were back at the room by 8!
Day 1: Easy Peasy:
We had fun during the 5K:
Mary trying to get a funnel cake during the race—silly Mary!
Me trying to get into Club Cool---:( not open at 7am.
The plan today was to meet up with NaCler and then Mary and I had ADRs at Mama Melrose for an early dinner. Honestly, I have no recollection as to how it all went down (what order) but at some point NaCler came by and brought us a case of water and a case of beer. Wasn’t that nice of him? I won’t tell his tale—he can in his TR (hint, hint) but I was glad to see him and we had a beer together before he left to go back and hang out with his Mom.
She hates when I take pics of her at restaurants. Shhhhh
Mary and I went to MGM in the rain—it was a light mist mostly but it got stronger at certain times. We rode Star Tours a few times (one of our favorites) and then we checked into Mama Melrose’s for late lunch. We really like MM---for one it’s always available—if you look at your schedule and say “uh oh I never booked a meal for this day” you can almost always get an ADR there. Also the food is good and the atmosphere is quaint. The only drawback is that the service always seems to be slow. This trip was no exception… We split a “flatbread” (pizza) and the seafood pasta. We enjoyed each other’s company and made our way out of the park. Another early morning.
We had a couple beers and hit the sack. Oh one item of note: We had a fridge! You probably heard about all the fridge problems they were having, as did we, so we packed a few soft side coolers just in case. Well we used them anyway and made several (many!) trips to the ice machine for ice cold beer. :)

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jun Sat 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Awesome start to your report bro. I remember how shocked I was when you texted me about signing up for the Dopey. Especially when I saw the price. I thought I was crazy when I signed up for the 10k and Half! I love the pics, especially the one in front of Club Cool where it looks like you are sporting a kilt!

I would love to do a trip report but I don't know if I have many pics... Hmmm... Let me check.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 22, 2014 7:28 am

Yay ~ the start of a new TR by my favorite brothers!
I knew races can be pricey, but that would give me pause. Not only do you have to shell the race money out, you have to do airfare, hotel, park tickets, plus you are giving up a good portion of your trip to running. Something my ironman triathlon loving brother could wrap his head around though I suppose :lol:
I was doing good keeping track of the beer count until NaCler showed up with the case :roll: lost track there...glad you would be well hydrated for the next few days though, I was worried ;) Thanks for the extra sauerkraut ~ I think I might be starting to like it! Um-hm, definitely yummy, so yummy I don't think I ever want anymore! :lol:
Love the character and race photos. I'd be behind Mary hoping for one of those funnel cakes! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had to look twice to see if you were wearing a fancy running kilt while you were standing outside Club Cool ;)
More?
This reminds me that I am supposed to be doing something...whatever could it be??

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Mon 23, 2014 10:22 am

NaCler wrote:Awesome start to your report bro. I remember how shocked I was when you texted me about signing up for the Dopey. Especially when I saw the price. I thought I was crazy when I signed up for the 10k and Half! I love the pics, especially the one in front of Club Cool where it looks like you are sporting a kilt!

I would love to do a trip report but I don't know if I have many pics... Hmmm... Let me check.
I have a few pics of you if you dont... ;)

Yes that was my throw away shirt. I didn't want to pack 4 throwaway outfits (in case it was cold) so I decided I could re-use the one from the 5K---I just carried it for a little bit, but then wrapped it around my waist. I almost labeled that picture: No it's not a skirt. :lol:
Amy wrote:Yay ~ the start of a new TR by my favorite brothers!
I knew races can be pricey, but that would give me pause. Not only do you have to shell the race money out, you have to do airfare, hotel, park tickets, plus you are giving up a good portion of your trip to running. Something my ironman triathlon loving brother could wrap his head around though I suppose :lol:
I was doing good keeping track of the beer count until NaCler showed up with the case :roll: lost track there...glad you would be well hydrated for the next few days though, I was worried ;) Thanks for the extra sauerkraut ~ I think I might be starting to like it! Um-hm, definitely yummy, so yummy I don't think I ever want anymore! :lol:
Love the character and race photos. I'd be behind Mary hoping for one of those funnel cakes! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that had to look twice to see if you were wearing a fancy running kilt while you were standing outside Club Cool ;)
More?
This reminds me that I am supposed to be doing something...whatever could it be??
I think we have all given up on you Amy--lol. We'll see it when we see it.
And if you keep talking about all the costs like that--I may never sign up for a race! :)
Its like my beers at the Flying Saucer--I dont want to know how much I have spent at that place!!!!

We really had fun on the 5K and 10K with my brother (from another Mother).
Next installement coming soon...Just sorting through the pics.
I think i will combine the 10K and the Half into one post...maybe...

Thanks for reading, Sis and Bro!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 23, 2014 1:52 pm

No, no, no, no combining ~ make each one their own and just fill in with more pictures! :D
Last I heard, they were thinking of renaming that Flying Saucer in your honor ;) :lol:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Mon 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Amy wrote:No, no, no, no combining ~ make each one their own and just fill in with more pictures! :D
Last I heard, they were thinking of renaming that Flying Saucer in your honor ;) :lol:
Yes. The Flying Henry has a nice ring to it. :lol:

Nice trip report. WWDRH. I'm with Amy about the cost. Dude. :)

Hoping we all can meet sometime soon. Y'all fancy a trip to Indy? :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 23, 2014 6:48 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:No, no, no, no combining ~ make each one their own and just fill in with more pictures! :D

They do have a camper, and I'm pretty sure there are some nice parks in Indiana!
Hey, I've got it!! We can leave a little trail of beer bottles (icy cold of course) between here and NC! That should get him here ;) :lol:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Mon 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:

They do have a camper, and I'm pretty sure there are some nice parks in Indiana!
Hey, I've got it!! We can leave a little trail of beer bottles (icy cold of course) between here and NC! That should get him here ;) :lol:
Brown County State Park!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Brown County State Park? That's only 3-1/2 hours or so from us ~ that would be doable :D

(sung to the tune of Do You Want to Build a Snowman)
Knock * knock * knock knock * knock * knock
Do you wanna be a pirate? And take over H's thread?
He left us all unattended, I'm not all that sure that, He thought that throughhhhhh....
This used to only be, About their trip, And now it's about the beeeeer.
Oh wait,
It's still about the trip, if beer is mentioned, and how we'd like them to come up heeeeeere
Do you wanna be a pirate? It doesn't have to be a rum-filled pirate....
Ok bye...
Last edited by Amy on Jun Mon 23, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Mon 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Amy wrote:That's only 3-1/2 hours or so from us ~ that would be doable :D
(sung to the tune of Do You Want to Build a Snowman)
Knock * knock * knock * knock * knock * knock
Do you wanna be a pirate? And take over H's thread?
He left us all unattended, I'm not all that sure that, He thought that throughhhhhh....
This used to only be, About their trip, And now it's about the beeeeer.
Oh wait,
It's still about the trip, if beer is mentioned, and how we'd like them to come up heeeeeere
Do you wanna be a pirate? It doesn't have to be a rum-filled pirate....
Ok bye...
Hello? What's all this about beer now? A nice long trail of beer? Niiiiiice.
:)
Y'all are crazy. :lol:
cy1229 wrote:

I think it's inevitable that we meet somehow someway. :)
And yes we love camping. Any inkling on your next trip to the World?

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Mon 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Friday Jan 10th 2014 Day 2 of Dopey---10K with both my brothers :)

The alarm never went off this morning. And it really wasn’t a bad thing—my brother couldn’t sleep and got up at about 2:45 and was milling around the room. Needless to say, we were early to the race.

NaCler met up with us and we took some pictures and tried to kill some time and cover up that nervous energy. The first part of the 10K course was pretty boring—out of Epcot and through some service roads—nothing to see and not really “Disney-ish” so the plan was to jog as far as we could and then take a walk break—ideally we would get to a character stop or something to make it exciting. We almost made it that far.
Day 2:

Look who we found!
Oh one thing about these races---my wife decided to dedicate each mile to someone. We solicited miles from co-workers and friends and FB land. We had people dedicate miles to lost loved ones, loved ones that were fighting for their lives, friends that inspired them, etc, even dogs! Funniest thing—someone asked my wife what it cost to dedicate a mile??? She had to explain that when you are running long distances it helped to have someone in mind—it’s almost like you don’t want to let them down and also it helps pass the time when you talk about that person. Who are they and why is this mile for them. It was a great idea and I am glad Mary did it. She made up laminated cards with the person’s name and who asked for the mile.

NaCler dedicated a mile to his Dad who lost his battle to cancer a couple of years ago. Well, that mile came up when we were headed back to Epcot. It was very inspirational and just typing about it brings back the strong feelings of when I would yell out---“OK Babe, who is this mile for?” And we would talk about that person. I really believe it helped us get through some parts of the full…more on that later.

Anyway we talked with NaCler about his Dad for a little bit and next thing you know we were in the WS!
The 10K was the “funnest” of all the races. It was great to run with my brother again and with all the other racing we were doing that weekend, we just took it easy and stopped for some characters and just pictures in general. I can also tell you—it was HUMID!!! Thankfully it wasn’t that hot, (plus it was really early) or else we would have died.

NaCler goofing off during the race----probably looking for Norwegian Daisy ;)

Bling!

If you are wondering why I never mention my biological brother in any of the racing, it’s because he is crazy fast. We never saw him once until it was over. He was in a different corral so he would say, “OK I’ll see y`all at the end.” And we would…
After the 10K we hit the pool and relaxed around the resort a little.

I love this place:

We didn’t want to do any more walking than we had to. The two hardest races were coming up. We eventually decided to go to DTD and get some fish and chips---I don’t know why but Mary was really craving fish and chips. Of course I had to carb load :)

Guinness is actually a great beer for runners—high in carbs and low in alcohol.

My nephews arrived and we clowned around with them and then it was night-night for us.

Next up---the Half with an unexpected runner!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 23, 2014 9:02 pm

I did sort of wonder where the other brother was in all the race photos.
NaCler looks like the incredible shrinking man ~ good job buddy!
I like the idea of dedicating miles to people. That was very smart. I wonder if I could use the same sort of thing to motivate myself on a much smaller scale in my daily exercise?
Is that water picture in Port Orleans? It's really pretty :D
Sadly our next trip is not in the works at all. Too many house repairs to do here in the immediate future to be thinking of spending money elsewhere, much less somewhere fun like WDW...sigh. :(