Quick question

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

MarcV
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Quick question

Post by MarcV » Mar Tue 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Planning a trip in October and might want to stay in OKW. We have 7 people and figured it would be the easiest points wise. Any thoughts on the resort...recommendations?

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Quick question

Post by Alacrity » Mar Tue 04, 2014 3:24 pm

OKW is one of our favorite resorts (my wife and I) and we've probably stayed there more than any other resort. It doesn't hurt that it is my wife's home resort! I've also stayed a couple times at OKW with a group of friends. Resort wise, it's fairly quiet and has nice pools and good food (Olivia's). It is far enough away from the parks that you'll want a car or use the Disney buses. We've usually used the buses and they do a good job but you need to plan on 30 minutes to an hour to get anywhere unless you get very lucky. It does tend to be lower in point costs compared to the other DVC resorts for the most part. With 7 folks you may be able to get by with a 2 bedroom unit (sleeps 8 or 9 according to the DVC point chart). The 3 bedroom Grand Villa sleeps up to 12 and this is what I have used twice before with a group. In October you'll be looking at the "Choice" season, a week in a 2BR is 217 points. A 3BR villa will run 349.

If the location of OKW doesn't bother you, next door is Saratoga Springs. You might take a look at the Treehouse Villas there. They sleep 9 and run 295 points for a week in October. They are also pretty unique!

I'd be happy to answer questions that you might have.

Recommendations? I recommend the Key Lime Tart and Crab Cakes at Olivia's!

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Mar Tue 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Oh, another recommendation, book as soon as you can, especially if you are looking at a Grand Villa. A member with a home resort of OKW can book at 11 months out. Non-home resort is at 7 months out. October is not a peak time but it's not the slowest either. It may be more difficult to book, a villa especially, as you get past the 7 month window.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Mar Tue 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Markv: post pictures if you decide to stay there. We have never stayed there and it would be awesome to see some vacations photos. :) :goofy:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Tue 04, 2014 5:34 pm

October is F&W and MNSSHP. It books quick.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MarcV

Post by MarcV » Mar Wed 05, 2014 10:40 am

Booking tomorrow. Will let you all know how it turns out

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Mar Wed 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:October is F&W and MNSSHP. It books quick.

Forgot about F&W going on at that time! The weekends at Epcot will be especially busy.

MarcV

Post by MarcV » Mar Thu 06, 2014 11:37 am

So I booked and got a 2 Bedroom at Wilderness Lodge. I have never had much luck getting a villa here (home resorts are Saratoga and the Treehouses there) and jumped on it. I have always loved walking through that resort and am psyched to stay there. Will stay at OKW eventually but figured might as well jump on this opportunity.

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Mar Thu 06, 2014 11:58 am

MarcV wrote:So I booked and got a 2 Bedroom at Wilderness Lodge. I have never had much luck getting a villa here (home resorts are Saratoga and the Treehouses there) and jumped on it. I have always loved walking through that resort and am psyched to stay there. Will stay at OKW eventually but figured might as well jump on this opportunity.
Kewel! Another of I and my wifes favorites. Probably pretty lucky to score there too! I would have jumped on it!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Nice! I hope you will take some photos to share with us ~ I've never been there either

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Mar Mon 10, 2014 8:06 pm

I just stayed in a 2 bedroom at OKW and it was amazing. fantastic parking right outside your door. Easy to navigate and no problems for the buses the few times I used them. Felt more like a nice apartment than a resort.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"