My First WDW Trip Report-Feb 2014

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: My First WDW Trip Report-Feb 2014

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 23, 2014 9:46 pm

I am really enjoying your trip report ~ you have some fantastic photos! I have to agree the fake Bird of Paradise flowers don't compare to the real ones, but they are a pretty close facsimile :D
I have a photo of the outside of the Haunted Mansion that I took many trips ago and have always admired the design of the mansion. I wouldn't mind having a house that looked like that on the outside! Guess I will have to content myself with the cobwebs we have that match the inside instead :lol:
I've never heard of the projection show not working on the castle :shock: That is too bad you missed seeing the whole show. Glad you were able to see the fireworks. Nice photos of that! :D

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Wed 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Hehe, yeah I have some cobwebs/dust bunnies that could fit into the mansion as well :)
It was too bad about the projection show and we didn't get back there to see it again. I decided on a second view of Illuminations instead.
Working on Day 4 now.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Feb Wed 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Really enjoying your TR! You made me drool on my keyboard with that picture of the Dole Whip! Welcome to the club!!!! :D Dole Whips make me break out in dance!!! :mrgreen:

Love your photos, especially the fireworks shots!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Wed 26, 2014 9:46 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:Hehe, yeah I have some cobwebs/dust bunnies that could fit into the mansion as well :)
It was too bad about the projection show and we didn't get back there to see it again. I decided on a second view of Illuminations instead.
Working on Day 4 now.
I think I might be one of the few people that would ditch Illuminations to watch the fireworks at the MK instead ~ I like Illuminations well enough, but prefer the other night time entertainment ~ MSEP, Fantasmic and Fireworks over Illuminations

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Thu 27, 2014 6:17 pm

I debated going to the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom then trying to make it to Epcot for Illuminations one night. However, I decided I'd rather have some more time at Epcot before the show. Instead of taking the early-ish night we had after DHS, I'd thought of walking over to EPCOT to see Illuminations earlier in the week which could have freed up another evening for MK, but that didn't happen either :) Maybe it's the richness of the wordless music I like about Illuminations, not that the others aren't rich, it's just different. Oh and on cool nights there's nothing like the radiant heat from the inferno barge :)

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Fri 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Great shots and loved the report. Photo's came out nice and crisp. :D :goofy:

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Feb Fri 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks for all the complements on my photos! I'm surprised myself with how well some of them turned out.

And now without further ado...

Day 4:

The weather today started cloudy, but at least it was still warm. It was also the day for EPCOT, what has probably become my favourite park, although I really enjoyed the Magic Kingdom this trip as well. We got there about 30 minutes before opening time thanks to a bus waiting for us as Pop Century! It happens so rarely to walk out and have the bus right there that it was a big deal :)

Approaching the geodesic sphere I noticed an odd colouring on the top. It looked really dirty, almost burned. It was cloudy but it wasn't just a shadow from the clouds. I don't know what it was, but maybe a good rain will clean it up a bit. It's slightly visible at the very top of this picture, but looked worse in person.

Our first stop was Test Track since we didn't have fastpasses for it. I like the new queue, although with the short wait time I didn't take the time to check things out in detail. The design your own car aspect was pretty cool too and I liked that it gets loaded with you into the ride vehicle. I went for max power and said screw efficiency :) This was the result

The opening descent is a bit boring now that there are no blocks to test suspension, and I didn't really understand what used to be the antilock brake test until it was over and then I noticed the rain indicating that it was suppose to be testing for handling in bad weather. My car was coming in last in everything, but I was hopeful for the power test. We raced around the building getting to 64.9 mph then, as we reentered the building, passed the screen that used to give the thermal image. It was blank! The power test results weren't shown. So I don't know how my car fared against it's actual key design parameter. :(

We crossed from the technical to the environmental side of the park and towards The Land. We had fastpasses for Soarin' but the standby line said it was only 20 minutes, so we got in line with the intent of riding twice. Well the 20 mins was a bit of an understatement. It took about 40 and I had to change the times on our fastpasses to the next hour. Perhaps there's no good reason for it, but I really like Soarin'. I like the airfoils and lights of the queue, the simple idea behind the ride engineering, the subtle nuances of the flight motion, the variation in scenes, the smells, who can forget the smells (I don't remember smelling the pine to the same extent before, and the orange was great as always), and I LOVE the music! Goldsmith outdid himself, even if a few of the bars sound borrowed from the Deep Space 9 theme :)

I tried the touring plans website for this trip and spent many pre trip hours reordering things to fit it all in. Unfortunately the delay right off the bat at Soarin' put us behind. But it didn't seem to work out too badly overall. We moved onto The Seas and took the trip with Nemo. There's a few things that always amaze me about the slickness of Disney's ability to move people (aside from the inevitable, dump you into a gift shop), and here it was the process for loading a wheelchair onto the ride car. They slowed down the moving belt, popped open the special car and pulled out the centre section. A ramp unfolded onto the belt, and the wheelchair was expertly backed aboard. The interior of the section that pulled out then swivelled so the person was facing forward and the whole section slide back in line with the regular seat for the guest accompanying the young man. So smooth! It manually locked into place so no worries about anything coming loose and the whole process was done without anything actually stopping. I was impressed.

We had fastpasses for Turtle Talk with Crush but the time wasn't right, and I sort of wanted to save them in case we wanted to switch them out for something else later. The standby line was about 20 mins so we did that (this time it actually meant the 20 mins). I'd never been to see Crush before and took some pictures of the sharks in the preshow area human holding tank.

The show itself was cute. I liked how the kids were all told to sit on the green something (sea weed maybe? I can't recall) but not on the orange coral (which was an orange line around the area). I'm guessing this might be used as a known point if any image capture and processing is done to allow Crush to "see" them. The premise of us being studied by Crush was fun too.

We walked onto Spaceship Earth, the best way to ride! It's another of my all time favourites, from the entrance mural (which is suppose to have a hidden Mickey I can never find...hints anyone?) to the planetarium peak. Now if only the Jeremy Irons narration returned. I think I may have experienced the Cronkite version but was too young to remember it. Although I'll admit that I didn't know about the Phoenician contribution to the alphabet before Judi Dench, but I'll always remember that "all roads led to Rome". This is one of the few pictures I was able to capture inside. I really wanted one of the Earth but it always came out fuzzy, so the philosopher will have to do.

We were still sort of following the plan, so went back to The Land for Living with the Land and lunch. This little guy was a cute reminder of home.

I totally want this tree! I'm a huge peanut butter fan! If I was in elementary school these days I don't know how I'd survive without being able to take peanut butter sandwiches.

And a not so hidden Mickey :)

Before heading to World Showcase, we stopped for a visit with Figment at Journey into Imagination. We also checked out Captain EO. I hadn't set foot in that theatre since I was freaked out by the "mice" running by my feet in Honey I Shrunk the Audience years ago. Knowing that EO was from an earlier time I was fairly confident nothing like that would be involved. The part I enjoyed most was the preshow that showed some behind the scenes footage of how the movie was made. The actual show itself was just too weird for me. A ragtag crew of species end up on this planet with a Borg queen like ruler where after being sentenced to death they break into song that changes everything? Really? This was popular? Maybe it was an 80's thing and something Michael Jackson fans liked but I didn't get it.

From there things got better, O Canada! My home and native land...:)

This made me giggle. One tree in the middle of a lovely garden that remembers the real season and is leafless.

I never noticed the fence before, so cute!

Alas, it seems they don't have BeaverTails.

We walked past the UK. The entertainment group wasn't playing the day we were there, which was unfortunate. I've browsed though the shops before, so other than enjoying a quick stroll by the gardens we didn't stay long.

For the first time, I didn't just take a look at France from a distance. I wanted to see the movie and explore a bit. The young, good looking Frenchman who was introducing the movie taught the guests some French. He started with "Bonjour" and "baguette", words that people had heard before. The general blank stares and "what?" looks he got after he quickly said "joyeaux anniversaire" were pretty funny and he had to go back over it slowly. He also prefaced that the movie was pretty old and not exactly indicative of current French life. We was right, it was dated, but that doesn't take away from the lovely scenes and great music by Ravel, Saint-Saens, and Debussy. This is a window they have in the lobby waiting area. I don't remember where it's from unfortunately.

I didn't end up exploring France, because we were aiming to hear Voices of Liberty. They have such a beautiful sound. We got there in time for the last song :( The American Adventure is well done, and as usual, there's always something new to notice at Disney. I didn't know/remember that Alexander Graham Bell is in it! During the montage of famous American's I was thinking that a few might not make the cut if it was redone today, ie: Lance Armstrong.

It was dinner time, and this is one meal that I'd been planning since before we left. My tastes have expanded the last few years thanks to the Egyptian owner of the company I work for. He's been kind enough to treat us on occasion to some middle eastern cuisine. So when I was pouring over all things Disney in planning this trip and found the Tangierine Cafe, with a veggie platter that had items I now recognized, that was the one place I wanted to eat. We'd also never explored Morocco before, so another first. I even caught it at the magic hour for light.

I was so excited (ok, and hungry too), that I never took a picture of my delicious meal. :( It was a lot of food and I shared it around, even though it's not exactly my parents tastes. The couscous salad was especially tasty.

Afterwards we walked around the market place area. It really expands back there with rooms that were pretty empty and held impressive mosaics.

Had Aladdin and Jasmine been there I would have gotten my picture with a Prince by marriage, but maybe it was their dinner hour too.

We found the trains in Germany, although they were hard to see in the dark. But we also found the Werther's Bakery. They were giving out caramel corn samples, yum, and we watched as a baker expertly dipped strawberries in chocolate and drizzled caramel over them.

Next door in China we watched the acrobats. That was a first too, although not the one I was really planning on. I haven't seen the movie in China either and we'd just missed the show. We weren't planning on staying around for another 20 mins, but then the acrobats arrived. Alas, all pictures of the amazing feats of strength, balance and flexibility were horribly fuzzy. After the acrobats we decided to move on instead of checking to see if there was another movie showing.

Ah, Norway, the reason I went to see Frozen the weekend before I left :) We rode Maelstrom with no wait, after squeezing past the mass of people in the courtyard. It was prime dinner time so the Princess character dining was in full swing and the line to meet Elsa and Anna was huge! I peeked in a window, but that was it. I did go inside the Stave Church for the first time. I was expecting it to be a lot larger. But it was blissfully quiet and deserted after the crowds from outside, and I liked the rustic wood smell. The exhibits about Norway as they applied to Frozen were good too.

Trading the cold for the warm, we headed to Mexico, where we walked right onto the Gran Fiesta Tour (I think that's the name now, although it doesn't have the same romance that El Rio del Tiempo evoked). Even with Donald I still like the journey, the opening float past the restaurant and the finale with the fireworks bursting in fiberoptic glory are my favourite parts.

We staked out a spot at the railing for Illuminations on the Future World side of the lake. Maybe not a first, but I don't remember the last time we watched from that side. I took a quick trip to Club Cool for some Brazilian Kuat! (my favourite of the choices) and captured Spaceship Earth in its evening light attire.

Back by the lake I played with some camera settings, trying to get a decent picture of the buildings across the lake. It didn't work very well, but the preshow music to Illuminations made up for it. Love that flute battle!

We ended up with a really nice view of the fireworks,

and the floating Earth, which had me pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure where it went around the islands.

I like this one for its scope with the American pavilion lit up, the lasers visible in the smoke, and the size of the fading fireworks.

One final image as I conclude Day 4. The pictures I took after the globe opened didn't turn out very well, but this one with the smoke and the bright spots looks exactly like a nebula in outer space (ignore the flame and the buildings in the background :) ).

I love planetariums and space stuff, but this picture of the Eagle Nebula is sooo over used. Yes, it's pretty, but there must be so many more out there surely they could switch it up a bit. Anyhow, no stars are being born in the EPCOT fireworks, but it reminded me of stellar nurseries none the less.

One more day to come.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Fri 28, 2014 10:11 pm

All Roads led to Rome is one of my favorite and often quoted EPCOT saying! I say it myself when we travel through that scene now ;) That is a great photo inside Spaceship Earth!!
Your photo from France looks like the Notre Dame Catherdral rose window :D lovely!
We tried the Tangerine Cafe on one of our recent trips too :D Figment and I enjoyed different parts of the platter that we shared so it was perfect ~ she actually enjoyed the meal much more than she thought she would. It was a super generous portion for the price too! I love wandering around the Moroccan pavilion at night ~ it is so beautiful and generally empty.
I'm so surprised that the wait for the Maelstrom has been so low since the Frozen meet and greet has started. I would think the attraction would be busier with more people in the vicinity!
Another fantastic day of your trip report ~ I'm so glad you decided to do one :D
More??

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Mar Sat 01, 2014 8:57 am

Loved the little sandman. The fireworks at Illuminations came out quite nice. :D :goofy:

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Sat 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Amy wrote:All Roads led to Rome is one of my favorite and often quoted EPCOT saying! I say it myself when we travel through that scene now ;)
Me too! while thinking of that white horse and chariot leaving one way but ending up at that same cross roads again every single time :)
Also I think of how paper was used so the pharaohs could make decrees without leaving their palaces, what's with this new bit about taxes? ;)
Amy wrote: Your photo from France looks like the Notre Dame Catherdral rose window :D lovely!
Yep I do believe that was it.
Amy wrote: I'm so surprised that the wait for the Maelstrom has been so low since the Frozen meet and greet has started. I would think the attraction would be busier with more people in the vicinity!
I would have thought so too, but maybe it was a time thing. We were there in the later evening. Maybe it's busier earlier in the day.
Amy wrote: Another fantastic day of your trip report ~ I'm so glad you decided to do one :D
Me too, I'm really enjoying re-living my vacation and sharing it :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 01, 2014 4:55 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:
Amy wrote:I'm so surprised that the wait for the Maelstrom has been so low since the Frozen meet and greet has started. I would think the attraction would be busier with more people in the vicinity!
I would have thought so too, but maybe it was a time thing. We were there in the later evening. Maybe it's busier earlier in the day.
I asked yodiwan1 the same thing about the wait for Maelstrom when they were there ~ I want to say it was later morning or mid afternoon ~ and he said it wasn't busy then either

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Mar Sun 02, 2014 9:08 am

I also loved the Idea of your countdown callender. We purchased a Mickey and Minnie Victorian count down callender on our last visit. Thought about stealing your idea and bringing it into work....But I think my co-workers would never let me live it down. They already laugh at me for listening to Subsonic at work. They just don't get the Disney magic :D :D . I would bring the callender in if we all had our own work stations instead of sharing. But thats OK. :lol: :lol: :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 02, 2014 9:11 am

Goofyfan wrote:I also loved the Idea of your countdown callender. We purchased a Mickey and Minnie Victorian count down callender on our last visit. Thought about stealing your idea and bringing it into work....But I think my co-workers would never let me live it down. They already laugh at me for listening to Subsonic at work. They just don't get the Disney magic :D :D . I would bring the callender in if we all had our own work stations instead of sharing. But thats OK. :lol: :lol: :goofy:
You should take it in anyway ~ maybe you can bring some of them around to the Disney-way of thinking ;) :lol:

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Sun 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Amy wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:I also loved the Idea of your countdown callender. We purchased a Mickey and Minnie Victorian count down callender on our last visit. Thought about stealing your idea and bringing it into work....But I think my co-workers would never let me live it down. They already laugh at me for listening to Subsonic at work. They just don't get the Disney magic :D :D . I would bring the callender in if we all had our own work stations instead of sharing. But thats OK. :lol: :lol: :goofy:
You should take it in anyway ~ maybe you can bring some of them around to the Disney-way of thinking ;) :lol:
I think I got away with the countdown because it wasn't Disney specific. A few days before I was leaving my boss asked where I was going. When I said I was spending 5 days at Disney he gave me this incredulous look accompanied by a skeptical "5 days?" We chatted briefly about it, he said he'd been with his children (I think the youngest is at least a teenager) a few years ago and liked Space Mountain but they didn't like Test Track or a few other things. I had to try hard not to let my jaw drop :) Clearly not Disney people.

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Sun 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Day 5:

Well today the weather changed. It was overcast and cool (down to 16C after mid to high 20's) with some rain thrown in as well. We headed back to EPCOT to finish what we hadn't seen yesterday and I took a nice monorail picture as we were waiting to enter.

We rode Soarin' twice first thing and I surreptitiously took a few pictures. This was the best one. Lake Tahoe, perhaps?

After another tour on Spaceship Earth we headed to the Universe of Energy. We ended up in the last of the vehicles when they split to go through the dinosaur segment which worked out well because we were the last to enter the second theatre. I recall being in the first vehicle and having the radio calls get awfully tiring while waiting for the cars to reassemble themselves.

Mom and I rode Test Track again via the singles line. I was surprised they still let you select a vehicle to test. The customization aspects are limited (you can't apply a fancy paint job which is unfortunate) but it still lets you be part of the testing process and get ranked during the ride. I was less single minded in my design choices and this time my car did much better in the testing processes. I also stuck my hand up into the smoke stream that appeared in the mirror giving the aerodynamic assessment. Even though I don't think there was any smoke going over our actual car, the smoke seen in the mirror broke when I disrupted the stream with my hand. So cool!

Heading back around the lake we stopped at Norway where I wanted to try the School Bread. It was really good!

I also took some pictures of the trains in Germany in day light. It's a pretty display, although I was expecting the trains to have more than one car.

What a change in the sky from earlier days of the week.

The purpose for going back to the lake was to hear a full set from Voices of Liberty. I could listen to them for hours. This time we got there a few minutes before they entered so I looked at some of the art. This is my favourite.

As an added bonus, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Chip and Dale were greeting people beside the American Pavilion, with little to no lines, so I shared a few hugs :)

I'd scheduled fastpasses for the afternoon in the Magic Kingdom, so we took the monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Centre and then the ferry. We wandered through some of the shops on Main St. (Wayne wasn't at The Chapeau), but I do love looking at the goodies in the Confectionary. I believe these are your favourites Amy?

And another castle picture, this time from the other side :)

Our first fastpass was for Under the Sea with the Little Mermaid. Look, it's the backside of more water :lol: .

One of the best audio animatronics segments is Kiss the Girl, in my opinion, or maybe I just like the song :)

We had our next fastpasses for Enchanted Tales with Belle. A good use for the FP as the standby line every time I'd checked was at least 40 minutes. I like Maurice's cottage and took this picture thinking, oh that's a nice mirror, maybe it'll be used for something, since it had a rather prominent place in the workshop.

I was expecting maybe an image to appear and was looking at some of the other props when all of a sudden the mirror turned into a pathway! I wish I could have seen it again, because it totally left me asking "how did they do that?"

Eventually we got into the library to meet Belle, who was wonderful with the children. Unfortunately, the only picture I got of her is really washed out :( The chandelier was similar in style to those in the ballroom of the Be Our Guest restaurant.

It was dinner time, so rather than stick around to use the final fastpass we had, which was still an hour away with no earlier times available, we took the bus back to Pop Century for pizza. I noticed a hidden Mickey on the ceiling of the food court.

While we were eating the clock struck (metaphorically speaking) 6pm, and the cast members started the hustle! It's the same every day and the schedule said that at 8am was the twist, but we were never in the main hall to see it.

After dinner Dad and I went back to EPCOT to see Illuminations. I took a 6th, and sadly final, flight on Soarin' then we found a similar spot by the lake as the previous night. This evening we were wearing jackets, and the inferno barge heat was very welcome :)

That brings me to the of the Disney days, but we didn't leave the world just yet, so there will be another half day, if you care to stick around :).