World of Color Dining Packages?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

ghost hostess
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

World of Color Dining Packages?

Post by ghost hostess » Feb Mon 10, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm planning a trip to disneyland with my best friend for march 1 and we're trying to decide on which World of Color dining package would be the best. So far we're trying to decide between Ariel's Grotto and Carthay Circle. Neither of us has been to Disneyland before so we have no experience with either. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on which has a better experience?

Thank you all :ccat:
Victoria

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: World of Color Dining Packages?

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Not having tried either, the grotto will have more children present since it is character branded.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Tue 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Not having tried either, the grotto will have more children present since it is character branded.

agreed! :D :goofy:

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » Feb Wed 12, 2014 10:12 pm

I was there in October, and had the Carthay Circle package.

Food was very good, and the seating was great! I am in a hurry now, but can provide a few bits of advice later.

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » Feb Thu 13, 2014 12:48 am

My gut would say do a Carthay Circle Lunch. Same price as an Ariel's Grotto dinner, and the food reviews are generally better.

World of Color is fantastic! You will love it. I consider it AT LEAST as good as any of the night time shows at WDW.

This thread on the Dis Boards is quite extensive, including a very helpful picture of the viewing area.

A few other points if you get a dining package:
  • Since you will be standing around for about an hour, get a beer as you head towards the queue!
  • Get to the queue area at least an hour ahead of time. Sometimes the waitstaff will say "15 min" but don't believe them.
  • Getting to the queue area A LOT earlier than an hour is almost not worth it. They don't actually queue you up. They just say - "stand somewhere over there and we will let people in an hour ahead of time." Very frustrating, because you get a lot of people hovering in the walkway, and being there early doesn't necessarily guarantee you the front of the line. If you try to line up too early, they send you away because it is actually in a walkway. (you line up near the entrance to the Mermaid ride, #6/7 on the map at the link above). Eventually tho, enough people are hanging around that despite their efforts, a line starts to form. Get in that line - it forms at #6/7 and heads to the right (as you face the show).
  • They let you in about an hour ahead of time. They try to make you stay in the dining area, but if you want to go somewhere else once you get in, just tell the CM "I would like to go to that section" and they will let you. There's no need to run or even hurry. In the dining area, there is a lot of room and the rails don't fill in all the way for awhile.
  • Simple rule: Get a spot along a railing. That way no one will be in front of you. Up at the water is nice, but you might get misty or even wet. Closer to the center is better (although to the right of center is better than to the left of center).

Does this sound complicated or stressful? Don't worry. You don't need to be the first person in line to get a great view. Not even the first 20 or 30 or 40. Just get there between 75-90 min before the show, find a spot on the rail. Completely worth it.

Again, these tips are for Dining Packages. If you get a regular fast pass, the situation is a little different.

ghost hostess

Post by ghost hostess » Feb Sun 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank you all so much!! This was incredibly helpful!!! :) I'm so excited for our trip

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Sun 16, 2014 5:41 pm

If you don't mind the prospect of getting wet though, the very front rail is an awesome spot! It all depends on the wind during the show as to how wet anyone will get.
However, since I am not familiar with the dining area...I suppose there is a decent view from there as well. Another thing I like to do is at the end of the show (during the exit music), we love to go right up to the front rail and get some fantastic pictures of the smaller fountains that are running during that part.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 16, 2014 6:36 pm

The Dining area is the "green section" if I recall, it's in the very center, under the trellis stuff.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Sun 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The Dining area is the "green section" if I recall, it's in the very center, under the trellis stuff.
Ah, ok. Wasn't that originally part of the "Yellow" section?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 16, 2014 7:47 pm

I think so, the green section was added later and has moved a bit. At one point the picnic lunch also allowed admission to it.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Sun 16, 2014 7:58 pm

I remember the picnic meals...we never tried them though. I didn't realize they added a "color" to the dining section.