Christmas Celebration to Remember 2013

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Christmas Celebration to Remember 2013

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Sat 21, 2013 6:15 pm

So begins my trip report! As many of you know, this trip was all about my mom. She is winning her fight against cancer and this was her Christmas wish, to see Disney at Christmas with her family. Disney is a place my parents have been taking me since I was 3, and is where my mom has only happy memories! There are no worries in Disney, just happy!!!

Dec. 2-10th
Day 1:We left out of Midway, the security lines were insane, we ended up back outside where the line started! We didn't realize leaving the Mon. after Turkey Day, we'd still catch that traffic, duh! Once past security the wait at our gate went quickly. We always fly Southwest, outbound flight happened to be run by Air Tran. The plane seats were absolutely awful and Bdude swears the Wright Brothers flew our plane! :lol: Upon arrival at the Orlando airport we made a sprint for the ME! This was the first time we got to try out our new MB's! No line and we got right on the bus, we were off to a Magical start! We were disappointed with the new video they play on the bus. I know the old one was getting tired, but we rather liked it. No biggie! We pulled up to the Boardwalk and when we stepped off the ME it just seemed surreal! The warmth felt so good and the smells were lovely, greenery! We were greeted by a CM and taken up to the Innkeeper's Club. This is where things really got surreal! We were being checked in at the desk in the lounge since the other CM was busy at the door. Bdude and I took the liberty of checking the fam in, we let my mom take a comfortable seat and get some snacks. She was being an absolute trooper, the mornings and travel are really hard on her. While checking in there seemd to be some confusion...the CM told us we still owed on our stay, which was not the case, we had paid our balance in full upon the due date back in Oct. He was showing we owed a combined balance of $18,680! I almost fell off my chair! :shock: He had to make a call...after what seemed like an eternity, he hung up and apologized for the confusion, he said there was in fact no balance on our account and we would be staying in the Sonora Suite! I said "excuse me"?! He said, we had been upgraded to the Vice Presidential Suite, I hope you don't mind we combined your reservations! We kept quiet and decided to surprise my mom who had heard none of the converstaion! Meanwhile, Bdude and I were wanting to do cartwheels down the hallway! We headed to our suite and my mom was asking questions like "where are the rooms, are you guys next to us, what were the room numbers"? We arrived at our suite:
My mom was speechless for over an hour and upon first entering she was so confused, she thought we were in another lobby! :lol:
The Sonora Suite blew us away! This is way beyond our budget! When I made our reservations, Disney asked if we were celebrating anything, I told them my mom was winning her fight with cancer, the CM said God Bless her and she would pass the word to sprinkle some "Pixie Dust" they weren't kidding this time! Everyone throughout the parks was so kind too, CM's and people in general. She wore her "I'm Celebrating" button and I wrote on it "Winning my Fight". It just made her feel good and renewed her spirits.
Here are some views from our balcony:
The Sonora Suite spans 5 rooms, it's a 2 bedroom suite (1 room is like a standard room, the other is a master suite with an incredible bathroom) complete with an entry way with columns, powder room, kitchenette area and even a doorbell! We were pumped to also find we had our own Christmas tree! The views were spectacular, especially at night! Every morning we were shocked it was all still there, it was really hard to believe! We always book standard rooms, Disney went above and beyond, and it was much appreciated!
After some of the shock wore off, we had to regroup and decide what we were going to do! We went with our original plan, DHS and Osborne Lights!!!
We loved using our MB's! My mom would have trouble now and again scanning her finger due to her Scleroderma, but otherwise, we loved them, no issues! No more digging for your room key! We decided to grab a bite at Pizza Planet (this has become part of our first day tradition). There was no wait for Muppets 3D and this is one of my mom's favs! Then we decided to wait for the lights to turn on! This never gets old! I truly hope Disney does not get rid of these, so amazing! After spending a good amount of time dancing around with the lights, we strolled down Sunset Blvd. my ToT awaited me! Only a 10 min. wait, Bdude and I could not resist! After that, we headed back to the Boardwalk. My mom's most favorite thing is to see what desserts are offered in the lounge each evening! We've nicknamed her the "Dessert Bandit". We had planned to watch Illuminations from the lounge balcony! My parent's have never seen the "Let there be peace on Earth" Christmas finale. They were stunned, loved it! Long day, time to turn in but so good to be home for the holidays! :D

Day 2: When we woke up...the suite was still there! :wink: What a glorious day, the clouds were so beauitful! The entire trip the weather cooperated with us, the entire country was in a freeze but FL! Talk about some strong Pixie Dust! :lol: God smiled on us, for sure! We started our morning by bringing our breakfast from the lounge to our suite, why not, the table could seat 12! The suite was beautiful we wanted to enjoy it as much as possible! We loved having our morning coffee on the balcony!
Bdude: contemplating how to conquer the parks this day!
I liked this shot of the seagull:
Mine? Mine? Mine?
Say what?

We started our day off with DHS! This was the most rides on a trip we got on TSM due to the new FP system! The entire family loves this ride! We had time prior to our FP's so we went to Art of Animation, my dad loves to do drawings! We had a bit of a wait so we go our picture with Sorcerer Mickey!
After our drawings (Buzz Lightyear) we decided it was time for a Mickey ice cream bar break! Bdude and I had FP's for RnR (my parents pass on this one). We met up afterward and browsed some of the shops. Then it was time for TSM! Bdude had the high score, as usual. :roll:
We watched some of the street performers then headed back to the BW. We grabbed a light snack on the BW and sat by the water, the ducks were very entertaining! We had a short break and had to pack our stuff up for DIVE QUEST! My dad claimed this to be his favorite "ride" and wished there was a FP for this (I am in total agreement)! :lol: We saw some familiar faces with the Dive Quest team and they remembered us as well! We love the behind the scenes tour, we always learn something new. This was my 10th dive in the tank! I suggested a multi dive card, they thought it was funny! :D We had a relatively small group, 10 divers. My mom stayed behind to rest and we would meet up with her post dive. The DQ team was kind enough to find me a child's size 14 long suit instead of the 2 ml shorty they supply. I get so cold and the dive becomes no fun when you're shivering! Tank is way to cold for a shorty, in my opinion! Dive was awesome, as always! It's sooo much fun to entertain the little kids and people in the Coral Reef, then I can turn around and be inches away from sand tiger sharks! They also go some new occupants! I truly wish they would make this experience longer, 40 mins. seems like 4! After the dive, my mom met us by the WS tree! We went to Sunshine Seasons for a bite. Then we had planned to transfer via Monorail to the TTC and walk over to the Poly for DOLE WHIPS, water pageant and fireworks on the beach! We were very disappointed to see that the construction has started for the DVC villas on the water. It is ruining the feel for me. It obstructs views on the beach as well, and they have alot of the walking path blocked off, no more sunset point either. Not so Magical! I have no issues with DVC at the Poly, but they are ruining the feel and this is an original resort, some things are better left alone. (O.k. I am done complaining) However, the Dole Whips were fantastic and it was a gorgeous night to be at the Polynesian with my family! We got to see Christmas Wishes which are stunning from the beach at the Poly! No good fireworks shots on this night. Boo! I should've taken my other lens. One of the water pageant and the Poly tree:
We were walking around the Great Ceremonial house after the fireworks and we saw Ashley Judd! I noticed the fresh lei she was wearing and Bdude noticed who she was! She had 3 CM's with her! Later, we found out from the Innkeeper's Club CM's that she was supposed to stay at the BW since she was narrating for the Candlelight Processional, but changed over to the Poly at the last minute. We cabbed it back to the BW, we were all tired and not in the mood for the bus! Cab was much easier on my mom. When we got back we sat out on our balcony for a spell, the night was so calm, the water was like glass! So beautiful! We enjoyed desserts the "Bandit" had comedeered the night before! :wink:
Good Night World!

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Christmas Celebration to Remember 2013

Post by Boilerdude » Dec Sat 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Awesome start, can't wait for the rest :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Sat 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Chime in anytime my love!!! :-D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Sat 21, 2013 8:42 pm

I can relate to the suite upgrade. Back in 2001, when we were at the Bellagio in LV, we had some many problems with the rooms they assigned us from not being able to get into the room as the door lock couldn't be opened (not even with the security master-key) and the plumbing didn't work in the other. To make up for all the problems trying to find us rooms that worked, they combined our rooms into a single suite overlooking the large pool area that has the water fountains. It was a beautiful suite and we loved it. I am glad you too had the luck with getting a "sweet suite" upgrade.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Sat 21, 2013 9:22 pm

I have the time this evening and a nice glass of vino, so I will continue with days 3 & 4!

Day 3: Got up early with my dad and Bdude to run. I have been having hamstring issues but hoped the "Magic" of Disney would take that away. No such luck :( . Ran a slow 3 1/2 not only was it hot/humid but my hamstring was very cranky! I still love to run at Disney! We went down the path to DHS, around the big Christmas tree, back and around the BW twice! I paid for this run later, but it was worth it! :wink:
Trimming our tree post run:
After our breakfast and coffee on the balcony we showered and headed to Epcot! We intended to spend the entire day here and end with Illuminations at our favorite spot to watch, Germany. I love the feeling of entering Epcot via the International Gateway and hearing the Christmas loop playing!
I absolutely love these trees they have up during Christmas:
Our first stop in WS was Canda, my dad's favorite pavilion! I think he favors it b/c we have family that lives there and he's such a hockey buff! He always has to sing as we walk through "Oh Canada!"
We watched the movie with Martin Short and walked around a bit. This picture we take on most every trip:
Bdude loves this little cottage:
We started walking towards Innoventions West, we were going to take advantage of our Disney Visa Meet and Greet. It was Minnie and Pluto, a combo we have seen many times but it was still fun! The characters were really cute and interacted with us! On our walk over, we stopped to "smell the roses"! I took this shot, I like macro:
We had FP for Soarin:
After Soarin we had to hurry to our ADR's at Via Napoli. Bdude and my dad literally ran ahead and I stayed with my mom. There was a long line but we still made our ADR's (thanks to the guys) and it was delicious!
We walked through the shops in Italy and could not pass up those yummy chocolates they sell!
ImageAfter Went back for a siesta! Bdude and I headed back to Epcot around 6:00 and would meet up with my parents prior to Illuminations! We picked up our pictures from the Meet and Greet and went on SSE since there was no wait! Bdude then patiently followed me around while I took a few (sarcasm) pictures of SSE! :lol:
We decided to check out Club Cool and the new flavors! I think they are all rather tasty! There are some of the old flavors I miss but I have to say the pineapple is my new favorite. And of course Beverly is still there! :x We noticed there was no wait for the Character Spot, so we went through there. I was a little disappointed to see that now it is only Mickey, Minnie and Goofy. I remember the old Character Spot having more! But, fun, nonetheless! It was time to head to Germany! We got the spot we wanted and waited for my parents. My mom and I split a caramel apple from Germany when they arrived (I highly recommend it). Illuminations was fantastic and the finale is impressive! My parents were crazy about it! My dad is a fireworks nut, he was thrilled!
We strolled back after Illuminations. I enjoyed a glass of wine on our balcony in good company!
Took this shot on our way back:

Day 4: After breakfast Bdude and I were ready before my parents so we started off for MK! I choke up every time we enter MK for the first visit of each trip! This time was no different!
We were going to ride Pirates but we didn't have enough time before our FP time for Dumbo and my parents were almost arriving anyway. The park was a bit more crowded than we expected! So, I took the opportunity to take pictures along the way!
Excuse me sir, are those guns registered? :lol:
We made our way over to Fantasyland, my mom was really excited about riding Dumbo, something she hasn't done since I was 3! With everything we've been through this past year, especially her, it was a special moment, something I will cherish in my heart forever:
The thing I love most about Disney, everyone is allowed to be a kid again! I have to share this...I sent a text picture to a close family friend of my dad on Dumbo, this family friend is NOT a Disney person, has NEVER been to Disney! Their reply was "your dad looks like he's 3". I said "EXACTLY!" Some people don't get it, and you know what...it's their loss!
Back to happy TR...after Dumbo we went to the Big Top and got pictures with the Great Goofini and Donaldo! My dad has always been a huge Donald fan! Donaldo was interacting with my dad b/c he had his Donald shirt on, it was cute!
After the Big Top, you know what time it was?????????? Oh yea! DOLE WHIP!!! I broke out into dance although there was no footage taken on this trip, I am sad to report.
My favorite flower, the Bird of Paradise!
We had FP for Buzz, so we made our way to Tomorrowland!
I believe Bdude was the high score again, sheesh! :P We headed down Main St. and had to make a stop in the new Starbucks!!! We got frapaccinos with some special artwork, this made our day! The CM stayed in character when we asked "who the artist was?" She smiled, shrugged and said "I don't know?!"
We are Starbuck's fans and happy to see they finally have some decent coffee in the parks! We like to bring our own coffee and brew it in the room, special part of our vaca.
We happily made our way down Main St. and took the Monorail over to the Poly! We rode the Sea Raycer which I am sad to report they have slowed them down! It took alot of convincing to get my mom to ride with me, on our mother/daugther trip back in 2010 I talked her into it and we zipped around, she remembered holding on for dear life! Now we were all just putt putting around, BOO!!!! It's like we were constantly in the "No Wake" speed. Still fun but I would not bother to rent them again. We walked to the GF after the Sea Raycers, I really needed to get over to Basin, I love their soap and wanted a bath ball so I could take advantage of the awesome Jacuzzi tub in the master suite!
Bdude and I stopped by the wedding pavilion and said "I do" again! :D We fell in love in Disney and honeymooned at the Poly! Special moment!
After successfully finding what I needed at Basin, we stopped to look at the GF tree! Then cabbed it back to the BW, my mom was getting really hungry and we all had forgotten to grab an energy bar for her. We dined at Big River Grill. We sat outside since the weather was absolutely heavenly!
Bdude and I made a quick pit stop back at the room and we headed back out to DHS! We wanted to see Osborne Lights again and planned to meet up with my parent's for Illuminations in Epcot since DHS closed at 8:00. We managed to ride ToT twice!
We got our spot in Germany again and this time we all shared some caramel corn! MMMMMM! A perfect end to a perfect day!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sat 21, 2013 11:51 pm

So many great pictures b-babe! That is so wonderful your family was upgraded at the hotel. What an opportunity for your Mom to be pampered ~ I love that she is a dessert bandito ;)
Great photo of you and your Mom in Dumbo. Figment and I both love that attraction as well :D And that is such a sweet photo of you and b-dude at the wedding pavilion!
Sounds like you packed a lot into those first few days! Looking forward to seeing some more great photos and hearing more about the remaining part of your trip.
Glad you had nice weather too!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Sun 22, 2013 12:25 am

Hey, B-babe, I don't think you need any advice about cameras and photography from Len90 - your photos are great! You could give Len90 a run for his money in photo-taking department!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Sun 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Amy: Thank you! :D I should be able to get more of my TR up today. I know things are going to be hectic during the week with Christmas! I'm looking forward to hearing about yours and F1gments's trip as well!

Mindflipper: I am flattered you think my picture skills are on the same level of Len90's! :oops: However, I still have much to learn! Len was kind enough to help me out right before we left...I had sent him a few shots I had taken here at home at an arboritum, he noticed I had a spot showing up on my pictures! :shock: He told me what tool I needed to get to try and remove it and he walked me through the process! Then he had me take a picture and ran it through Photoshop to check! Sure enough, that pesky spot is gone!!! I am highly impress by Len's knowledge of everything camera and so kind of him to take the time to help me out! I still have to play around alot with my settings. But, I thank you, and I was happy with my results! :D We'll see what Len himself has to say about my pictures! 8-)

Stay tuned for more...

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Mon 23, 2013 12:03 am

Day 5: We always started our mornings with breakfast/coffee in our suite! It was one of our most favorite memories of this trip! It was so incredible every morning to throw aside the curtains and see this:

This day was very warm but there was lovely cloud cover making it absolutely Disney perfect! We started with DHS! We LOVE the walk over to this park and my first vision after passing under the bridge is...
We had FP's for TSM so we headed there first, after stopping for a photo opp:
I have not seen them doing the photo frame before, I thought it was fun! After TSM Bdude and I had FP's for ToT, but first we introduced my parents to Frozen Cokes at DHS! Of course they have had Frozen Cokes before, never in Disney though and everything tastes better in Disney! :wink: It was a yummy treat for a warm day.
After we rode ToT:
It was time to draw again at Animation Courtyard. If my dad could have a perfect day, he said he would ride TSM, draw then dive! LOL. We have never drawn Mickey! This was the first time we had the teacher take votes! We were outvoted by 3 to draw the Mouse. The majority voted to draw "Olaf" from Frozen. I have not seen Frozen yet and had no interest in drawing this character, I like to draw characters I am familiar with. Bdude pointed out to me that the pictures hanging on the walls showed how to draw others, so I did my own potrait of my favorite Mouse! :D
We wandered over to "One Mans' Dream". My parents had never seen the movie at the end and they really loved it! My mom thinks everyone should have to view it prior to entering Disney World! She said perhaps more people would appreciate what Disney is about! I couldn't agree more! :wink: Afterwards, we walked to the BC and got a table at Beaches and Cream! It was a good lunch and we got some ice cream to go! While we were there, 3 parties ordered the Kitchen Sink!!! I have only seen pictures of it, but we got to see one in person this time! WOW!
Back to our suite for a break then it was time for round 2 of Dive Quest! My dad's favorite "ride"! My mom was feeling good this evening and wanted to join us. The Dive Quest team went above and beyond in being kind to my mom! They allowed her back stage with us and the Greeter, Jenna, even went to get my mom after we were done diving so she could join us for viewing of the video taken during our dive! Their kindness meant so much to us! This round of diving had an ever smaller group, 6! The smaller the better! :D The dive was awesome, my dad was particularly entertaining to a group of special needs kids, it was so cool. There was a couple that got engaged at the Coral Reef, Bdude and I toasted with them, she was showing us her ring! :D We got to see my mom and she was in our video then we hovered around the sharks for a good amount of time! I was able to get a 3 ml long suit again, which made the dive much more enjoyable for me! I swear these dives get shorter every time! My mom, who has a hard time with her hands, managed to take these pictures of us...
Scuba Dad:
ScubaBbabe:
ScubaDude:
After the dive, Jenne presented my mom with a certificate, for winning her fight so far, it was really touching!
After DQ, we wanted to grab a quick bite in Mexico. We were disappointed with the quick service here, it used to be really good. Either we just got an off night or this has gone down hill. My mom had had enough, so her and my dad headed back to BW and Bdude and I had planned to stay for EMH. We went into the Mexico pavilion, watched the glass maker in Arrabas for a bit, rode 3 Caballeros (had the entire boat to ourselves) then got a spot for Illuminations! It was then I realized I left my MB in the backpack my dad took with him. So much for EMH! I would need my MB to get on any of the rides. :( It was o.k. we headed back to the BW and the "Dessert Bandit" had struck and brought us yummy treats! Another wonderful day in the World!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Mon 23, 2013 12:12 am

Ugh! That photo of the kitchen sink is making my stomach turn! How can anyone eat that?!?

Having said that, did you guys eventually try it?....

I love B&C as well. I don't think there's a trip to WDW I haven't made a visit for a meal. While waiting for a table on one trip I spotted and met Len and his family coming back from the pools.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Mon 23, 2013 6:56 am

Awww, what a great day! Glad your Mom was feeling up to seeing you guys do your beloved DQ ~ she did an awesome job with the photos! I really like how b-dude is waving like an excited kid in his photo :D
I'm with mindflipper, that sundae doesn't look appetizing at all :shock: Amazing in size perhaps, but not tasty :(
Wow, you are crankin' out your TR...glad I didn't make any bets on who would finish first ;) :lol:
How warm was it while you were there? I remember seeing on the weather map while we were in California the whole US was below normal temperatures and colored in blue while the lone holdout was Florida all lit up in hot red and orange and in the 80's!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Dec Mon 23, 2013 9:29 am

Amy wrote: I really like how b-dude is waving like an excited kid in his photo :D
I'm with mindflipper, that sundae doesn't look appetizing at all :shock: Amazing in size perhaps, but not tasty :(
I thought B-dude was waving that way to signal he was freaking out and wanted out of the tank. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I looked at that picture again and the Kitchen Sink still is any more appetizing than yesterday. :shock: :? But B&C does make killer milkshakes. :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Mon 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Mindflipper: I have to agree, the Kitchen Sink does not appeal to us, I was just excited to see one! :lol: No, we did not try one, none of us wanted to get sick, we just stuck to regular ice cream! I agree B&C does make awesome milkshakes! That is so cool you saw Len and fam on one of your trips! :D And Bdude was not freaking out, he was excited and waving! :lol: I've learned to hold still and not exhale when someone is taking your picture underwater.

Amy: The entire time we were in Disney temps would top out between 84-88 during the day with it being in the upper 60's at night! We could not believe our good fortune! And you were right, Bdude was very excited! :lol: It made me happy to see him enjoying himself diving!

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Dec Mon 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Awesome, awesome report! Really love the pictures. Everything that I have read so far sounds like a wonderful trip. May God continue to bless your mom with healing and strength.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Mon 23, 2013 6:39 pm

cccmouse wrote:Awesome, awesome report! Really love the pictures. Everything that I have read so far sounds like a wonderful trip. May God continue to bless your mom with healing and strength.
Thank you so much, that is so kind and much appreciated!!! :D