Finally booked the flights. 2/23/14 - 3/09/14 in Orlando

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Finally booked the flights. 2/23/14 - 3/09/14 in Orlando

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 23, 2013 8:51 pm

cy1229 wrote:The Hilton right across from DTD might be a good option as it's walking distance to DTD. Then again, you'd have to take a shuttle to a hotel, and then to a park. There are a few "partner" hotels that offer shuttle service that are also within a decent walking distance. I agree with Amy, you might be sacrificing things you don't want to sacrifice to save a few dollars a night. Check to see if there are any % discounts when you're going. If you eat counter-service meals most of your trip you can probably make staying on property match the amount you'd spend staying off-site, and you'd have that much more going for you, including DME. If you stay off-site, how will you get to your hotel? Taxi?
Good point about the Magic Express. That saves a bunch of money right there!

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Oct Sun 27, 2013 9:28 am

I would pay for an Off-Site hotel about 550-600 €, for any All Star REsort 1120 € and for the Pop 1230 €. Is there a big difference between All Star and Pop or are the rooms the same?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 27, 2013 9:36 am

Not sure about the difference in All Stars and Pop, but I looked up the taxi fare from the airport to the Magic Kingdom ~ it looks like it would run about 94 € for you round trip, not including any sort of tip. That is still a pretty big price difference between staying off site and on site. If you can manage, I would think you will be happier on property though. Have you checked with your travel agent to see if they can get you any better rates?

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Sun 27, 2013 11:05 am

I stayed at All-Star Movies in 2001 and Pop Century in 2008, and the buildings, rooms, and layout were pretty much the same. The door is on a 45-degree angle into the room, and the beds are right inside that door, with a small table and 2 chairs plus a dresser or bureau that holds the television. The bathrooms are in the "back" of the room, with the sink separate from the toilet and shower. Neither ASM nor PC had doors or curtains separating the vanity area from the rest of the room, but I see in photos of Caribbean Beach and other moderate resorts that they do. Hubby, who worked security at WDW for a year, said that the buildings of the moderate resorts and the value resorts are essentially the same, but the details and theming of the moderate resorts are more elaborate. He also said that the moderate resorts are quieter and have far fewer security issues than the value resorts. When we stayed at PC in 2008 I did think it was pretty noisy until wee hours of the morning, with people running on the walkway from the elevator to their rooms and not being particular quiet as they passed by.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Sun 27, 2013 1:58 pm

The big positive aspect of POP is that they will always have a Disney Bus that only goes to that hotel. With the All Star hotels during off-peak seasons, the three resorts share one bus.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:The big positive aspect of POP is that they will always have a Disney Bus that only goes to that hotel. With the All Star hotels during off-peak seasons, the three resorts share one bus.
We very rarely have to share a bus when we are at the All Stars. I know they do share, but more often than not, they have their own bus...especially when the parks are closing and there are a lot of people waiting to return to their hotel.

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Nov Sat 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Ok, I will book my hotel next month and depending on the offers I will choose an All-Star Resort or an Off-Site hotel.

I have another question concerning the Lynx bus system. If I buy a Fixed Route 7-Day Standard Pass, is that valid for unlimited rides on each line during that seven days or is it just valid for one line? I am a little bit confused because of "Fixed Route".

Is it a papercard with a magnetic stripe and I have to scan it when entering the bus?

http://www.golynx.com/fares-passes/wher ... asses.stml

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 03, 2013 9:07 pm

I did some searching around and can't give you a definite answer, but it looks like the standard 7 day pass is not unlimited because there is an unlimited day pass as well. If you would need to use atrasnfer you would have to remember to ask the driver for a transfer pass as that would not cost extra as long as you used it within a 90 minute time frame. The pass does look like it is a type of card that you would swipe when you enter the bus. Hopefully someone that has a Lynx bus system in their area can help you out for sure!

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Nov Mon 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I read about the Day pass and it was also unclear to me.

I asked them on Facebook and here is their answer:
Hi Lars, we apologize for the confusion. Fixed route means, our buses are on a fixed schedule and do not vary from day to day. Also, our routes are called "Links". A 7-day fixed route pass allows you unlimited rides for 7 days on any fixed routes. Other services that are not covered under this pass are the XPress 200 and ACCESS LYNX. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you for considering LYNX.
So I think I can use any bus within those 7 days.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Mon 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Epcotmaniac wrote:I read about the Day pass and it was also unclear to me.

Hi Lars, we apologize for the confusion. Fixed route means, our buses are on a fixed schedule and do not vary from day to day. Also, our routes are called "Links". A 7-day fixed route pass allows you unlimited rides for 7 days on any fixed routes. Other services that are not covered under this pass are the XPress 200 and ACCESS LYNX. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you for considering LYNX.
Yep, that's what it looks like to me, too.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Nov Mon 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:The big positive aspect of POP is that they will always have a Disney Bus that only goes to that hotel. With the All Star hotels during off-peak seasons, the three resorts share one bus.

That is true....and All Star Movies is always last to get picked up and last to get off....usualy standing room only. :x :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Mon 04, 2013 9:47 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Epcotmaniac wrote:I read about the Day pass and it was also unclear to me.

Yep, that's what it looks like to me, too.
Glad you were able to get in touch with them to clarify. Their website isn't very helpful. Sounds like that is a good deal!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Sat 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Amy is 100% in still going to Fantasmic alone. I actually ended up seeing Fantasmic in DLR alone as it was on our last night and mom and brother wanted to get some sleep. I struck up a conversation with the people around me and it really passed the time well. I have seen Illuminations alone as well and you end up talking with the people around you.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Nov Sat 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Doesn't matter if you are alone or not. Disney is Disney... I would have no problem seeing Fantasmic by myself. :D :goofy:

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Nov Tue 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Goofyfan wrote:

That is true....and All Star Movies is always last to get picked up and last to get off....usualy standing room only. :x :goofy:
Do you remember where they pick up the people first? Music or Sports?

Good news: I was promoted at work yesterday. Beginning next month I can work more hours a week with a higher hourly wage. So I will definitely stay at a Disney resort. I might stay at the Pop. Its only 100 € more for two weeks than All-Stars Music or Sports. Amazingly All-Stars Movie is the most expensive one and would cost 300€ more than the other All-Stars resorts.