Lost in the Wilderness

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Lost in the Wilderness

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 21, 2013 8:12 am

I think I would skip a morning run in favor of a nice breakfast too ;) Although I bet you wouldn't skip it now!
The RnR attraction photo is the best! Nice payback for the coffee pic :lol: It actually looks like the younger of H's boys isn't a big fan of RnR either. You're right, the moments waiting for the launch are pretty extreme, and to have it hold for that long. As I remember the limo sort of rumbles while it waits and there are those low bass notes to really get you going :shock:
Everyone looks much happier on ToT ~ don't you hate it when everyone else coordinates their outfit and doesn't bother to call you to say "hey, we're wearing our Mike shirts today!" :lol:
We enjoy the Great Movie ride too, but to me it is worse than Ellen's Energy Adventure...at least at EEA, the AAs don't look quite so creepy.
More?! Yay! I'm enjoying the tag-team trip post ~ anyone want to head to DL in a month so we can do the same thing?! ;)

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Thu 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Ok so since my Brother has abandoned this TR for unknown reasons, I am going to post my conclusion so people dont start calling me "Amy." Sorry, Amy ;)

Monday Sept 2nd, 2013
We had no set plans with the NaClers that day but after talking with them, I thought we might encounter them at some point. Probably at Epcot because it seems we always end up there.
We slept in a little bit (9am) because “someone” kept me up past my bedtime, so we had a nice breakfast at the camper of bacon, egg and cheese bagels (my specialty!) My son wanted to go to DTD for something—he really had a hankering to buy something, but I cannot remember what. So, we decided to go to Epcot for Soarin and beer :) and then head to DTD. Dinner at the camper and then MGM, err DHS for EMH until Midnight (yeah right!) I really wanted the crew to experience ToT at night. So many people recommended it to me last time that I made sure we did that.
We packed a lunch and headed to Epcot. I texted NaCler but they had changed plans and skipped the ADR at Nine Dragons in favor of an Earl’s sandwich. (Yum!) See how that is? We are so in sync that we mixed up our plans and still ended up at the same place! But…We didn’t see them…they hit the road early.
We went to The Land for Soarin` and walked on—the line wasn’t that bad yet. And then we sat in the QS area and ate our lunch that we had packed. It was delicious and cheap! 4 PB&Js, some pretzels and pringles. We brought water bottles in and refilled them. My wife said that people were probably wondering what the heck we were doing. Lol

After that we decided a beer was in order so we headed into WS and got one in Norway. We hit Mexico and chased Donald all over the country on the Rio del…errr whatever they call it now. Oh I forgot, we did a quick stop at China so Son #1 could see what was on the QS menu—he was hankering for some Chinese food…And then we packed it in and headed out.
For some reason my wife was trying to convince me to take the bus to POR and then boat down to DTD, but I decided against it because of the threat of rain. We went back to FW, got our truck and drove over. I am glad we did because it fell a FLOOD when we got to the parking lot at DTD. We ran from the truck to the back of WoD where the restrooms are and waited (along with half of FL) in that little area for the rain to lighten just a little.
Eventually it did so we walked around DTD. I always like visiting DTD and I can’t quite say why. I think maybe because it used to be a staple for us when just me and my Boys would go on trips (before I brainwashed my wife that one Christmas Trip). We would always hit DTD the first day. It was my way of getting an extra Disney Day, but without buying another park ticket day.
We went into Ghiradelli’s for a free chocolate square and my wife bought a coffee. We bought our neighbors a huge bag of the chocolate squares for watching our dogs while we go away.

We walked around some more and then decided it was pool time. It was HOT! That rain did nothing but make it balmy—it didn’t cool down at all. On the way back to FW we decreed that we were not taking the bus to a bus system anymore! We were driving to the parks-It was so much easier.
The pool was a good half a mile away, but you can’t drive there—there are no parking spots. You can bike, walk or take the internal bus. We decided to walk and on the way my lovely wife got a great idea: She hitchhiked. Because FW is so HUGE, everyone (except us) rents golf carts to get around. Why didn’t we rent one you ask? Well, it all comes down to money. Those carts are $63 a DAY to rent—that’s not a typo--$63 a DAY. Well, I can tell you that when I only paid $65 a night for the entire campsite...there was no way I am spending that on a golf cart. It’s just crazy! But you know why they charge that much? Yup--Because they can. They were everywhere.
So back to our trek to the pool…we walked onto the main road and if anyone drove by with a golf cart and it had empty spaces, my wife stuck out her thumb and yelled, “Ride to the pool? Ride to the pool??” I was so embarrassed, but you know what? She only had to do it twice—some nice young man gave us a lift. He complained about the price of the carts but said they were worth every penny. Not to me!!
OK, so we get to the pool and HOLY (COW) is it crowded! I never saw anything like it. It was 5 rows deep on the concrete and we had to sit about 15 ft away on the grass. The line for the slide was wrapped around one whole time. Wow! But I tell you what—it felt great. It was so hot and humid that the pool was a welcome relief crowded or not. It was quite a contrast to the other day when there was no one there.
We went back and lounged at the camper and some of us (me) took a nap. I woke up and everyone was outside—they left me in the A/C with Stacy blaring from the TV. Ahhhh I slept like a baby—the hum of that A/C and Stacy was like taking NyQuil. I was out cold.
I made a nice dinner at the camper and we saddled up to hit MGM. We drove over (Ahhhh so nice) and you’ll never guess what happened? Yes, they pestered me to go on RnR! THANKS, NACLER! Now that they think it’s all fun to get Dad sick on RnR, I am OK to go on it every time. Ugh. So, I prayed for it to breakdown again, but no luck. I think it’s my wife’s favorite ride in all of WDW so I would feel awful to make her ride it alone (or just with the boys).
A few minutes later and with some smelling salts I eventually came to ;) J/K—but I do hate that ride…
Oh yeah I forgot—we grabbed FP for ToT before RnR, so we had some time to kill. We looked in some shops and meandered over to ST. Several Rebel Spies later our FP was ready. Oh a quick note—while we were there MuppetVision was closed so that’s why there is no mention of it. I was really craving a beer at the Tune In Lounge, but somehow they got me by there without one—I think I was still hazy from RnR…??? :)
Anyway, here are a few shots of the lobby—they whole place looks so different at night, and the view from the top is incredible.

The next day was EMH morning for Epcot so we were going to make it an early night. We got back and I could not believe how empty the place was!!!! It was Labor Day and most people go back to school or work the next day so everyone left. We got to the site and into bed when the Water Pageant started up—lol If you’ve ever seen it, you know how loud it is, plus we were so close to the water. My sons (who have never seen it) were saying, “What the HECK is that!?” I tried explaining it to them, but with no luck. I told them we would go see it the next night. It was indeed quite loud—it felt like we were right at the water with it.
Another great day!
Tomorrow: EMH Epcot then Epcot followed by more Epcot!! Oh and Illuminations. ;)

Tuesday Sept 3rd, 2013
EMH at 8 today, so we were up and eating breakfast in our now secluded campground. I’m not kidding--we had NO ONE in our entire loop (Loop 200). On this “budget trip” breakfasts consisted of bagels, cold cereal, pop-tarts or eggs (if Dad was feeling up to it ;) ). We packed a lunch and headed to our favorite park.
Test Track was first up. We rode this on the “regular” queue. Sometimes my boys want to go all in one car, so we indulge them. I posed for the ride photo on the premises that I was staying hydrated ;) :

The rest of the family went to Mars while I waited in the mission control area on the way out. This is another one that I can’t stand. Well, to be honest I have never done the intense side—just the thought of it gets me dizzy!
I think we criss-crossed over for Soarin` FP and went on Living with the Land. I really enjoy that attraction—it’s very relaxing. (And not in an Ellen kind of way.)
Then we went and crushed Club Cool—man I don’t know how they don’t throw my kids out of there. Lol--it cracks me up. We were hungry about now and we ate in that breezeway just outside the back entrance of Club Cool (to the right). It was nice and cool and shaded and we sat right there on the carpet and ate our picnic lunch.
It was close to 11 (but not quite) so we went back as far as they will let you go into WS (almost where France ends) and eagerly awaited the WS rope drop so my son could get a picture with a princess—he didn’t care who. It turns out that Belle waits right there on the other side of the rope so we stopped for her.
A strange thing happened: ‘Commando Mom’ was yelling at Dad because he let several people in front of him. They were relegated to third in line at Belle. Oh the horror! “THIRD, Jerry…THIRD.” She repeated a few times. I honestly don’t know how he didn’t just drop his backpack and say, “See ya.” He had the look of a broken man.
My son (who is totally into heavy metal and plays a mean guitar) asked Belle to “shoot the horns” if you know what that means. She laughed and said, “Well I cannot do that young Prince, but I can’t stop you from doing it.” At least he didn’t ask her to ‘shoot the finger’ a la his fiasco at Space Mountain. Here is a shot of them:

Let’s see, I think at this point we got a fish and chips in England---ahh yes we did. OK so we ate in the park—sue us…lol we split the dish. As I sat there with my beer and fish enjoying a nice view of the lagoon, NaCler texted me: Didn’t get to have a beer at Epcot this trip—have one for me! I immediately sent this one back and titled it “done and done”:

We did some shopping and eventually rode the death-defying Norway ride. (I’m odd like that huh? They make something terrifying and I hate it—they make something tame and I mock it---oh well…it’s just how I am huh?)
Today was the only day we planned on eating in the parks. I had made an ADR for my bride and me at the Hacienda del San Angel. So we milled around checking things out until it was time for that. Oh I know what we did-we went and saw the British Revolution!! (We might have had a beer here also :) )

The ADR was just for Mary and me—no boys...so we sent them off to do whatever while we ate. It was an early dinner and it was empty. We enjoyed the rose-infused margarita that they won’t make for you at La Cava---(we’ve tried). It was nice to take a load off and relax with just my wife.
It was time to head to the camper and relax before our final night’s Illuminations. We set our clocks to be back in time for the last showing of the British Revolution—we enjoy those guys and my son always talks to them about guitars and stuff.
On the way out we rode SSE.

What a great way to relax back to camp :) We got back and did a load of laundry and when we were coming back with the clean laundry—we saw two girls looking at the ground and here come an armadillo! He was just walking across the road—it was a crazy sight!
If everything went right, we were going to catch Illuminations, then head out so we could watch the water pageant. It was going to be close! But since we drove over I thought we could make it no problem.
We stopped for a beer in Canada and Off Kilter was playing—they are decent but they are not as good as British Revolution (IMHO) and then went to watch those very chaps. We setup shop in Canada atop the steps for Illuminations—and just like that another WDW trip had concluded.

The view from Canada:

EXCEPT…for the Water Pageant! Mary and I have seen it but the boys never have. We grabbed some snacks and a few beers and walked to the beach—we were very close to it. And just then here it came—in all its glory. I tried my best to snap a pic of it—but I am no good at taking pics of things in the night. Camera settings or some darn thing.

My older son declined the invite, but Son #2 got a kick out of ---he just shook his head and laughed when I told him, “You can never say that you haven’t seen the Water Pageant.” Lol The bugs ate us up! We sat on the beach chairs with about 20 people.
...And then we headed back to pack to go home. We made it home safely. The end. Oh I just dread ending TRs as much as I hate the real trips ending.
Tidbits and notes:
The NaClers are awesome.
FW was really cool, but I doubt we will come back.
My truck uses a LOT of gas towing a camper to FL. I can’t imagine if I had a bigger, heavier camper—yikes!
I think we found a new home to watch Illuminations: The top of the steps in Canada. Two times we had the place to ourselves and the view is good.
I am glad my boys came and that they understand what a budget is. They are really good like that. We have been saving and saving and saving for the Wine and Dine trip. They will have some fun on that one when we hand them some spending cash. :)
I can’t wait to go back….Next up—POR in November. Another half marathon at WDW!

Special thanks again go out to the NaClers who made this trip even better than I deserve…lol

Some random shots that didn’t fit into my TR properly (i.e. I have no idea when they fit in…lol):

A familiar shot, eh?

She would kill me for this one (Shhhhhhhhhhh)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Awww, your trip report is so nice I almost forgive you for being mean to me...almost ;)
Love all the pictures. Love that you managed to stick to eating food that you brought from home in order to stick to your budget too! I know you have to do that sometimes, but it would be hard when you are at WDW to do it I would think. $63 a day for a cart?! That's crazy!! Your wife was so smart to think of hitching ~ staying on budget and saving some shoe leather! :lol:
The photo of son #1 with Belle is so cute :D
Glad to know there are more TR to come from you H ~ you always make them lots of fun...and I will work on the rest of my CA TR this weekend...really I will! I don't want people calling others "Amy" to become a thing :shock: ;) :lol:

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Fri 24, 2014 7:15 am

Amy wrote:Awww, your trip report is so nice I almost forgive you for being mean to me...almost ;)
Love all the pictures. Love that you managed to stick to eating food that you brought from home in order to stick to your budget too! I know you have to do that sometimes, but it would be hard when you are at WDW to do it I would think. $63 a day for a cart?! That's crazy!! Your wife was so smart to think of hitching ~ staying on budget and saving some shoe leather! :lol:
The photo of son #1 with Belle is so cute :D
Glad to know there are more TR to come from you H ~ you always make them lots of fun...and I will work on the rest of my CA TR this weekend...really I will! I don't want people calling others "Amy" to become a thing :shock: ;) :lol:
HAHAHA! Its certainly not my intent to start calling people an "Amy" lol but hey it could happen :lol: :lol:

Yes it was a great trip and we did great to stay on budget--and save it for the next trip (which was Wine and Dine Half--that I already did the TR for---lol confused yet?).
Thanks for reading Amy...as always :)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 8:33 am

This TR makes me want to get an RV EVEN MORE. When I was a kid we went camping every summer. Dad would load up the station wagon, he and mom would invert the row boat and put it on top of the station wagon, we all would load up our little travel trailer (I'm not kidding. I think it was like 16 ft., maybe 14 ft.) and away we would go for a week or two.

The problem is that hubby has a 4-banger with a manual transmission and I have a 6-cylinder automatic with dual overhead cam (I don't know what that means. I know how cars work but I don't know what advantage DOHC is) so it can only tow something really small. I think we might rent a friend's pop-up camper this summer to see how that works, and then maybe get a small SUV to replace my car (well, when mine passes on to Meghan).

Long story short (man I seem to be long-winded today) is that I've always wondered how a "budget" trip to WDW with a camper would be. I'm pretty sure we could be disciplined enough to stick to our meal plans the way you did. We typically eat breakfast in our hotel room when away from home, or stay at a hotel that includes breakfast. I like seeing how someone else made it "work" for those of us for whom a WDW trip is usually out of reach financially. Thanks, WWDRH!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Fri 24, 2014 9:39 am

cy1229 wrote:This TR makes me want to get an RV EVEN MORE. When I was a kid we went camping every summer. Dad would load up the station wagon, he and mom would invert the row boat and put it on top of the station wagon, we all would load up our little travel trailer (I'm not kidding. I think it was like 16 ft., maybe 14 ft.) and away we would go for a week or two.

The problem is that hubby has a 4-banger with a manual transmission and I have a 6-cylinder automatic with dual overhead cam (I don't know what that means. I know how cars work but I don't know what advantage DOHC is) so it can only tow something really small. I think we might rent a friend's pop-up camper this summer to see how that works, and then maybe get a small SUV to replace my car (well, when mine passes on to Meghan).

Long story short (man I seem to be long-winded today) is that I've always wondered how a "budget" trip to WDW with a camper would be. I'm pretty sure we could be disciplined enough to stick to our meal plans the way you did. We typically eat breakfast in our hotel room when away from home, or stay at a hotel that includes breakfast. I like seeing how someone else made it "work" for those of us for whom a WDW trip is usually out of reach financially. Thanks, WWDRH!
Your Dad sounds like us until we bought this new one. We used to tow our pop-up to the lake with the canoe inverted on top of the camper. :)
you should do it Cy--try out that popup.
The bad part: you will get hooked like we did!
The good part---almost anything can tow a pop-up. So if you can live with one of those...you will be set with just a small SUV.

I should have kept track of our expenses to see just how "cheap" we made it. Honestly I think the worst part was the gas! That camper of our is like a sail--lol Lots of drag.
Thanks for reading Cy!!!! :)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jan Fri 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Awesome TR!!!! Love the pics! Your fam. looks like such a good time!!! :D Reminds me, I need to finish the final day of our trip....*sniff*

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 24, 2014 9:31 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:...I should have kept track of our expenses to see just how "cheap" we made it. Honestly I think the worst part was the gas! That camper of our is like a sail--lol Lots of drag.
Thanks for reading Cy!!!! :)
Hmmm, we should make a bet on what you spent more on...gas for the vehicle or gas (aka beer) for the occupants ;)
I really do think you can save a lot of money camping and also taking your own food though. The campsite sounds like a very reasonable price, and the food is what is so darned expensive in the parks!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Thu 15, 2014 10:29 pm

I recently listened to the latest WDWRadio podcast and it was all about how wonderful the Ft Wilderness Campground is. It made me think of this awesome trip as it was my first experience at this resort. The hosts talked about all of the great memories that they had created at the resort and that they were among the best memories they ever had at WDW. It really brought back the memories and I realized that I had not finished our TR. I can't let that happen!

SO, last time we talked we had left MGM Studios and H's family behind. We went back to the WL and decided to have a light lunch as we knew we would be eating later that day. So, we grabbed something quick (flat bread pizza and fries) and took them back to the room with us. It wasn't a fancy lunch, but I remember thinking about how relaxing and peaceful it was eating in our room. Remember, we have 3 kids, so this isn't a common occurrence. We then decided to hit the pool and the hot tub. Bad idea as it was really crowded. I guess people figured out the secret of how to tour WDW during the hot months, i.e. park in the morning, pool and relaxing mid-day and returning to a park at night.

We weren't really impressed with the pool as it is actually pretty small compared to the size of the resort. But, it served it's purpose and killed some time. We went back and got ready to head to Ft Wilderness.

Like I said earlier, I had never been to Ft W. In fact, it's embarrassing to admit since I am such a Disney nerd now, but until a few years ago, I actually thought Ft W and Wilderness Lodge were the same place. I just thought some people called it Ft Wilderness and some called it Wilderness Lodge. I had NO CLUE that they were two separate entities. I know the difference now.

We took the boat over to Ft W as we did not leave enough time to wander the jogging path between the two resorts. It was really cool seeing the remnants of the old water park. Cool but sad. There was also a tree in the water that had a bunch of sneakers hanging from it. I know I have a pic somewhere, but it's been too long and I can't find it.

We docked and then met Mrs. H who was going to take us to their campsite. The first thing we walked by was a horse-drawn carriage. We noticed plenty of trees, tents and campers and knew that this place was not your ordinary resort.

We arrived at H's camper and he gave us the tour. I really like campers and would love to own one as I think our family would have a great time in one. I was really impressed at the setup and how comfortable everything looked. We got setup with beers and chairs and sat around and talked while H cooked. I couldn't believe that we were having steak and baked potatoes as that is difficult enough to prepare in a fully equipped kitchen.

Everything was great, the food, the company, the weather. H's boys even stayed and talked to us. They weren't typical teenage boys that run off and don't want to be a part of what their parents are doing. It truly did feel like a family reunion.

There was a storm brewing so there was a strong breeze and it was overcast and cool. It really was perfect. If H would have said let's stay here, relax and talk instead of going to the MK, I would have been perfectly fine with that. But we knew the rain was coming and we had to get back to MK before it did.

ALMOST... like H said, it rained halfway from the Contemporary and really started pouring near the front gate.

H covered the rest of the night, but here are some quick notes:

- That fru-fru coffee was really for H, I was just holding for him when he snapped the pic
- Who am I kidding? Frappaccino's are awesome. And you know where they are even MORE awesome??? In the MK
- I probably have never laughed so hard in my life as I did when I saw that Space Mountain pic of H's son. The double salute was one thing, but the look on his face was priceless
- Watching the 4 adults pile into that teacup was rather funny as well
- That was probably the longest I had ever waited for Pirates and we vowed that FP+ was the devil and that we would never wait longer than 5 minutes again
- We realized we were all getting older as none of us stayed anywhere close to 3am that night

We parted ways at the boats and hoped that we would see each other the next day at EPCOT. It didn't happen, but I have the feeling that we will have plenty more opportunities in WDW and who knows... maybe other places as well.

Sorry it has taken this long. But, it is always sad to end a TR.

Until next time awesome Disney Nerds...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 16, 2014 6:51 am

I had to go back and scroll through the photos ~ it has been a while since this TR was started hasn't it....not that I'm complaining or pointing fingers ~ no sirree, not me!
Sounds like a fabulous time and I'm a bit envious that you were able to hang out and have fun with H and his family. I will make it to another meet and greet so I can meet them in person!
I'll have to admit, camping never was part of our family activities beyond the requisite trips with the Boy and Girl Scouts. I've camped some with friends, but I have to say, I prefer a bed and a shower in a hotel room. Nothing can beat the taste of a campfire breakfast though ~ yum!
You've inspired me to get crack'a'lacin' on some more of my TR...hopefully I can find time between work and babysitting this weekend to do just that! :D

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » May Sat 24, 2014 9:34 am

Love the Sam Adams on the Pic Nic table.......Good choice!!!!!! :wink: :goofy:

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Mon 16, 2014 9:03 am

I have been so crazy busy at work that I haven't been on here in months...
So, I sign on to see....My Brother has finally finished this TR!!!

What a great trip--Thanks NaCler for meeting up with us at the camper---what a great time.
I went back and re-read this entire thing for the memories :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 16, 2014 12:42 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:I have been so crazy busy at work that I haven't been on here in months...

What a great trip--Thanks NaCler for meeting up with us at the camper---what a great time.
And soon there will be a whole 'nother epic adventure to read about! How is the marathon training coming? :D

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Wed 18, 2014 8:27 am

Amy wrote:
wewantsdaredhead wrote:I have been so crazy busy at work that I haven't been on here in months...

And soon there will be a whole 'nother epic adventure to read about! How is the marathon training coming? :D
It's coming along nicely here in NC. 9 miles is our highest so far. We are on a cut-back week where we do less for recovery. This weekend is my son's graduation party so it might be tough to run. But we will get a few miles in. We'll be ready...NaCler: How about you?

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jun Wed 18, 2014 9:30 pm

I've been very limited due to a recurring hip flexor that makes it difficult to even walk on some days. I'm only at 3 miles but I'll be ready. It's DL, so I'll be ready.