Lost in the Wilderness

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Lost in the Wilderness

Post by NaCler » Sep Fri 27, 2013 10:31 pm

I think a new thread is needed for our tale... *a old song now plays in my head* "Come gather around you Fraggles now and hear the tale I tell..." Anyone remember that one? Anyway...

Herein will lie the laughter and the tears (caused by the laughter) as remembered by two brothers continuing their adventures in Disney World.

I'll start first and let WWDRH finish it up since it was mainly his trip that I crashed. 8-)

To be completed this weekend. (Don't worry, it won't take as long as the Mine Train installation in New Fantasyland)

cy1229

Re: Lost in the Wilderness

Post by cy1229 » Sep Sat 28, 2013 5:13 pm

NaCler wrote:I think a new thread is needed for our tale... *a old song now plays in my head* "Come gather around you Fraggles now and hear the tale I tell..." Anyone remember that one? Anyway...

Herein will lie the laughter and the tears (caused by the laughter) as remembered by two brothers continuing their adventures in Disney World.

I'll start first and let WWDRH finish it up since it was mainly his trip that I crashed. 8-)

To be completed this weekend. (Don't worry, it won't take as long as the Mine Train installation in New Fantasyland)
Will it take as long as Amy's trip report has taken? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 28, 2013 6:58 pm

cy1229 wrote:
NaCler wrote:I think a new thread is needed for our tale... *a old song now plays in my head* "Come gather around you Fraggles now and hear the tale I tell..." Anyone remember that one? Anyway...

Will it take as long as Amy's trip report has taken? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: Hey!! :evil: I sorta deserve that :oops:

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Oct Mon 07, 2013 7:34 am

This tale started long ago when NaCler and I were separated at birth. Lol OK…OK so that’s a fabrication, but the more we hang out, the more we realize how similar our tastes are. This was never more evident than on this trip. I hope you enjoy reading along as my family and Mr. and Mrs. NaCler explore uncharted areas of WDW.

This trip really started about 4 years ago… My wife had been wanting a new (bigger) camper, so in order to convince me, she said that one of our first trips would be to WDW. What?! (Does she know how to work me or what…?) So of course, I bit. We did some research and got the biggest camper that my little V-6 Dakota would tow. After a few trips we realized that the little truck just wasn’t meant to tow that camper very far, so the WDW camping trip was nixed. :(

After a few years we decided that enough was enough and we upgraded to a new (to us) truck that was capable of towing our camper anywhere anytime. After a successful shakedown trip (or two) the WDW was back on!!
My wife decreed that it would be Labor Day weekend plus a day or two afterwards. The kids missed two days of school—we were OK with that. The plan was to leave Friday after school and drive to Jacksonville FL, then Saturday AM drive to Ft Wilderness and hopefully setup camp. We decided to stay until Weds. driving home all in one day.

Those of you that are keen-eyed will notice that our stopping point is the home town of our very own NaCler. This was not by chance ;) Shortly after booking this trip, I let NaCler know the details and he said he would see if maybe he could come down for a day or longer, but no promises. At the very least we said that we would meet at our stopping point on Friday night for a beer (or two)—it was only 20 mins from his work (Geesh, is that the quickest I have ever mentioned beer in a TR?)

So we had our plan…now the hardest part of a trip to the World: The waiting. Somewhere in here NaCler texted me that they were going to be able to come down for a weekend trip—no kids, just him and the Mrs. This was good news!!! I think the plan was to stay at Pop Century.
NaCler: Feel free to correct me if I am off base on any of this. Embellish at will ;)

Then one day out of the blue, I received another text that the NaCler’s were thinking about staying at the Wilderness Lodge—Wow! Somehow he tried to blame me for breaking the bank on a luxury vacation (we need to be closer to you or some lame excuse ;) ) but I didn’t care…I was glad they got to enjoy that place—it’s pretty sweet isn’t it?

He sent me this and decreed that he had chosen wisely:

So our plans were set. For those keeping score:
WWDRH and crew: Arrive at FW Saturday AM. Depart Weds AM.
NaCler and wife: Arrive Sat afternoon. Dinner at Ohana Sat. Then dinner with all of us on Sunday at our Camper. Depart Monday sometime.
OK so let’s get started!

We (NaCler and I) decided that since we were going to hang out all day Sunday, we would skip the Friday beer meetup.
We had an uneventful drive down—the new truck hauls the camper effortlessly! You go through some gas (in fact I was convinced I was going to run out at one point—whew that was scary…) but you don’t even know it’s behind you. We arrived in Jacksonville around 7 and we hadn’t eaten, so we were ready. My wife wanted to go to the Krystal burger that was right there, but when we walked in, the line was crazy and some guy was yelling at the employees about not getting his food. So we turned around and left. McDs it was.

The hotel was dead—I was worried about where to park the camper, but I had no problems. We got in so early that my wife was questioning why we just didn’t drive all the way through. But I think this layover was a product of the cancelled meetup with NaCler and I was glad for the break anyway. She was just antsy to get to the World. :) Plus I think that originally we were going to have to leave later so we didn’t think we would be in until 10.

Saturday August 31st, 2013

We awoke early, hit the showers and the (free) breakfast buffet and we were rolling by 7:30 or so. We decided that we would stop at the grocery store before we got to FW so that once we were setup, we really wouldn’t have to leave.
A quick note about this trip: we decided this would be a “budget trip.” No meals in the park (except one with my wife on the last night). All meals would be at the camper. This actually works out for our style anyway. We go at rope drop through lunch or so (avoid heat and crowds) then we go back in the evening for as late as we desire. We gave the kids some cash and said that’s all you are getting—you can eat at the camper with us or use that money, but when it runs out—you are on your own. They understand that and it worked well. Anyway, back to the TR.

After navigating a tight Publix parking lot and $100 in groceries later, we pulled out onto Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway ready for the final leg of our journey. At 11am we at the entrance to FW—what a sight!
The CM said that our site was not ready and they would text us when it was. Hmmmm. So we pulled in to the (already full) overflow parking:
Our plan was to setup camp and then head over to Epcot to pick up our APs!! (Yes, we are now annual passholders—this is out of control ;) (Just Mary and I—not the boys.)) But with this wrinkle we dropped back and punted. I told Mary that as soon as we got to Epcot they will text us, so let’s try and trick them. We unloaded the bikes and took a spin around FW. We had only been here once to eat at Trails End and never saw the campground at all, so this was nice. The place is huge! Two nice big pools and two stores where you can by supplies and some food to cook (like spaghetti and bread and eggs). Like all of WDW it was clean and safe.

Still no text, so we went to Plan C—we decided to bike to the back to the boat launch and go to the MK to get our APs. We got to the back and guess what…like a dummy I forgot the papers for the passes. I left it in the blue folder (more on that later…) So, we had to bike all the way back to the front (like I said the place is huge!!) And guess what? They texted us—the site was ready. LOL So we loaded the bikes up and went to the site—all the sites here are level with a concrete pad for your camper. They have a picnic table and a charcoal grill on a sandy pad. Very nice spots---the nicest I have ever seen.

Site:

Once we were all setup it was time to head to Epcot. Why Epcot? Well, so we could have a celebratory beer after getting our APs. :) One complaint we have with staying at FW is the ‘bus to a bus’ system. The place is so big that it has its own internal bus system. You really can’t go anywhere except from the front to the back and to the pools on this internal bus system. So basically you take a bus to the front so you can wait for a bus to your park (or destination). So we walked to bus stop and waited for about 10 mins, then got to the other bus stop and don’t you know it, we saw every park except Epcot TWICE before one finally came. Now on Day 1 you chalk that up to, “oh well who cares I’m on vacation.” But after three days of it, it gets old.

Finally we were off to our favorite park. Now this is where it gets tricky… Part of the deal with the APs was that we were going to upgrade three day hoppers that we had purchased for our marathon trip in November to these APs. If you recall I was lucky enough to stay at the GF on the company dime a few months back…well when I was there I asked two different CMs about this. I was worried because I bought them from WDW Sports at a discounted rate that this might be trouble. They said it was no problem but I would only get the discounted rate—of course. Then just to be sure I called in early August and spoke with a CM at WDW Sports that got “Ticketing” on the line. Everything was OK. So why am I even talking about this? Because when I got to Epcot and walked up to the ticket booth, the CM said, “Oh we can’t do that.” I almost lost it. But I remained calm and I will admit that for about 2 seconds I raised my voice and said, “Now I have been told BY TWO PEOPLE that you CAN.” I didn’t yell or anything, but she knew I was hot. She pointed at a man in a white button up shirt and said “That’s the Guy we need.” OK, fine.

I explained the deal to him and he said, “Sure we can do that.” :) It took some clicking and back and forth but after about 20 mins we had everything square. He even went above and beyond and move the expiration date on the hoppers for my son’s back a week. (Those discounted sports ones are only valid during certain periods around the races.) Yet again Disney does everything possible to make it right. And my anxiety about exchanging those tickets was legit. For some reason, I was just sure that I was going to have a problem.
But it’s all good—we are now officially AP people.

So we journeyed into Epcot to meet our boys. I guess I forgot to tell you about them. They decided to come this time---Son #1 hadn’t been in a few years—he was “disneyed out” as he put it. They were both dreading the drive, but they were fine. When we got to FW, they hopped on a bus and went to MK to do what? Yup ride the Indy Speedway. I hate that stupid thing, but they love it. You’d think that now that he drives a real car, this would be “kid stuff” but no. They rode Space Mountain a few times and then came over to meet us.
It took all of a few hours to break our “no eating in the park” mantra for this trip. We were so hungry from setting up camp and the ticket fiasco that we headed to Germany and had a brat and a beer. We split the brat (but not the beer). We met up with the boys at Club Cool—they love that place.

We jumped over to Test Track. Son #1 has been dying to ride this—it used to be his favorite and he has not seen the re-do. He liked it (more than me—I think its meh…) and we hung out in the showroom part for a while—Mary has been trying to talk me into buying a new Sonic for some reason.

After checking the FP time for Soarin` we decided that we could get one of those, hit Imagination and Captain EO before backtracking to Soarin`. So that’s what we did. The kids wanted no part of EO, so we told them to go do whatever, but they wouldn’t and they sat through it with us. Then Mary said, “I don’t think I have ever been on Imagination” (or whatever they are calling it these days) so I chuckled and said, “OK let’s do it.” Needless to say it was a walk on.

My camera is not good at taking pictures of Figment:

When we got off she announced, “Well there’s 10 mins I’ll never get back.” Hahahah. We went to Canada for a beer and then headed back for our FP and made a break for the exit. It was at this point that I decreed that it was HOT!!! I didn’t bring enough clothes—I was going to get them all sweaty.

So we went back and hit the pool…it was around this time that NaCler texted me that he had arrived. It had been lightning so the pool was empty (because it just re-opened) and it was nice and refreshing. The worst part was getting there—it was far! Have I mentioned how big this place is? We swam, ate and then got ready for illuminations. It was going to be an early night—tomorrow we were running in the morning (with NaCler hopefully) and then all day at the parks and dinner with Mr and Mrs NaCler.

Here we are standing around for Illuminations:

Sunday Sept 1st 2013

Mary and I are on this running plan for Dopey and we had to run 3 miles on Sunday. So we invited NaCler to come out, but after an exhaustive list of excuses ;) he backed out on the running. (But it’s all good because he is really doing great since he started his training proper.) I heard there was a path between the FW and the WL, but I didn’t know exactly where it was. So…we just started running. Nope it’s not by the lake…lol Nope it’s not here that’s River Country! You should see the GPS map of that run. Its like a ball of string. Finally we saw a woman in running clothes headed away from us, so we followed her and when we caught her she said that we were (finally) on the right track. We ran to WL and back—nice easy run. On the way back we saw a deer just standing on the jogging path. It looked at us and then just walked into the woods towards the cabins. It was one of those moments. We just smiled and started back up again.

We showered and headed to the bus stop where we waited for about 20 mins for a bus (to take us to the other bus) but the good news was that when we got there a bus was waiting to take us to our final destination: DHS!

The NaClers and us decided to go there first. We were a little late and NaCler being the pal that he is, went on RnR while we weren’t there so that I didn’t have to ride it with him. I hate that ride and I don’t want to go on it, but somehow he uses his Jedi mind trick and tag teams with my wife and gets me on that monstrosity. But being my bud, he was looking to help me out, but my wife was having none of it. I tried all the usual tricks: Hey the wait is too long (there was no line) Hey it’s broke down (it wasn’t) etc…

He sent me proof that it was still running while he was on it:

Next thing I know I am strapped into that limo holding on for dear life. If you been on that contraption, you may remember that you go around that corner and you stop and then you back up just slightly…I guess that’s to load you into the ‘launch of death’ position. Then you hear Steven Tyler countdown and blast you into the darkness. Well they backed us up, but then….nothing. I always tell myself on there, just breathe Henry, just breathe. So there I am huffing and puffing and no ride. NaCler yells out: Henry I think you got your wish! Its BROKE!!! I deeply exhaled and awaited evacuation from the ride. Nope…a CM walked by and said—“you’ll know when it’s about to start back when the sign changes.” Ugh! I thought my prayers had been answered. Everyone was laughing at me. It was funny.

Eventually, WHOOSH we were off and somehow I survived. I just close my eyes and wait for it to stop. NaCler’s wife just shook her head at me and wondered why I hate it so much—lol. The picture of us was a howl---I look like I am puckering up for a kiss, but that’s my breathing method.

I needed a break after that so we decided to cross the park and go on Star Tours. Son #1 had never been on the new version. We rode that at least once (maybe twice?) before heading back to ToT. I know that’s criss-crossing the park but I just can’t do ToT and RnR back to back.

As usual, ToT was awesome…Someone yelled at that point when it’s really quiet and it scared the heck out of my son. Hahah!

Here we are in the ToT queue:

I think after that we went ‘into the movies’ at which point my son made a funny about the CMs that ride with you and narrate…and the belly laughs commenced! I think NaCler said something like, “Welcome to 1989” in reference to this attraction that needs a little update. We both agree on that.

Right around here, we (my crew) decided to head back for lunch and to prep for the dinner that evening. We were hosting the NaCler’s at our camper for a nice dinner of steak, potatoes, pasta and steamed mixed veggies. Of course no dinner of mine would be complete without a nice cold beer. (or two) It was a great time and one of my favorite memories of WDW trips. I’m telling you, the NaCler’s are great, genuine folks and I am glad our paths crossed. I recommend that if you ever have a chance to hang out with them, you do it.

I think we told them to come over at 5:30. We would eat, hang out and then go to MK—they were having EMH until 3am! Everyone picked on me because I always go to bed so early and there was no way I could stay up until then…lol (yeah they were right).

Honestly, I don’t recall what we did after we got back to the campground so I am guessing I watched some Stacy (Yes! We got her on the cable they provide—nice!) and just relaxed for a while. I really wanted to prepare a good dinner for our friends…I would hate it if they came all the way over and I had something they didn’t care for. I even checked to make sure they had no allergies to be concerned about :)

I was busy preparing the meal when NaCler texted me that he was just about to make port (on the ferry between FW and WL, so my wife rode the bike over and met them. We had a couple beers and a GREAT time. The food was decent for cooking in a camper ;) but the company was excellent.

NaCler was taking a pic of the horse and buggy in FW and look who photobombed :)

The whole crowd at the camper:

Some highlights: “Someone” spilled a beer all over the place :) NaCler and I were talking about the next day and he mentioned that they were thinking about Epcot and he made ADRs (at China I believe) when my wife said, “Wait what is going on? What is that you said?” And NaCler’s wife said, “Oh they are talking that Disney language.” Or something like that hahahah We were speaking a foreign language to them. I didn’t care… I was glad that the wives got along so we could all hang out. (Even if they make me go on RnR.)

After the meal we decided we were ready for MK but rain was threatening. We could hear thunder in the area. I predicted that we would only get just a skirt of it...hopefully enough to scare everyone out of the parks.

When we got to the pier, the express ferry was closed due to lightning and I forget why, but we jumped on the express to the Contemporary and decided we would walk to the MK from there. Something about the line on the other ferry. NaCler: what exactly was the deal there?
Anyway…we disembarked at the Contempo just in time for some rain. It was light and no problem…until we got around the vicinity of the monorail when it just let loose. It was so bad that we walked under the monorail track just for a little break. The wives ran ahead trying to dodge the bulk of it with little success.

We finally met back up with them in the tunnel under the railroad…no one had left the park. They were all gathered under cover waiting it out, after all the park was open until 3 am! So we decided to hit the new Starbucks and warm up. Mrs NaCler and I reveled in the irony that we both hated getting wet on rides (Splash and Kidani come to mind) yet we were both soaked! He is one I snapped of NaCler—real manly with his fru-fru coffee with whipped cream isn’t he? ;)

I think we shuffled over to Tomorrowland at this point and got a FP for Space Mountain. While we waited for that we went on the Speedway which had just opened from the rain (kill me!) and Buzz. Oh yeah and of course the WEDway. One thing about NaCler and me is that we always call rides by their “old name.” It’s almost comical how we are in sync like that.

Out FP was ripe so we moseyed over there. This is when the unthinkable happened… We all know how they take your picture at the end of the hyper tunnel so we usually pose in some goofy fashion. Well, NaCler, his wife and mine were in the same car so they decided to do the “sleeping” pose. My boys and I didn’t agree on a pose and I decided to pretend I was texting. Son #2 didn’t do anything and Son #1, well…he decided to give the camera the finger. Yes, you read that right.
Of course none of us knew that until we got off the ride and looked at the pictures. We had a good laugh at the other car because all three were doing the same thing…and then we saw my son. Ugh…man did we laugh at that. More belly laughs. I guess the ‘censor’ was gone home for the day. NaCler got a pic of it which I will not post here for posterity. I asked him to refrain from repeating that act on the green screen up-ramp. He obliged me.

After that we hit the tea cups. Well by ‘we’ I mean them. I passed and NaCler being the pal that he is, hung out with me and 4 adults piled into one teacup---lol Yeah here’s how that looks:

Somewhere in here NaCler and I were waking side by side and our wives were doing the same about 20 feet behind us when I said, “It really helps that our wives get along.” He agreed and said that he had asked Mrs. NaCler if she felt like he was “dumping her off” and she said no way. The wives really got along. In fact my wife said the same thing and I think they even became FB friends before we left WDW :)

Let’s see, I think next we went into new Fantasyland to go ‘under the sea’ with Ariel. My sons had never seen this and while they said it was corny, I enjoy it. After that I believe we declared it was time for Splash, but the wait was like 50 mins or something so we opted for the Haunted Mansion when the unthinkable happened…
Everything was fine in the queue and the stretching room (except that NaCler was the only one to wander into the cemetery) but once that door opened we begin that crush into single file when the ride stopped. We waited about 30secs and it started back and then stopped again. This time it did not start so easily…and then the smell hit us. Someone has thrown up IN THE QUEUE! It was a pretty big pile that you had to walk AROUND to get to the moving walkway. It smelled awful and there was nowhere to go. I was the first one just before the walkway and the CM told me what had happened. She reported that some young boy vomited in the queue and continued on to the ride where the CM said, “Are you sure you want to go on?” and the parents insisted, “Oh yeah he’s fine now.” Guess what? He wasn’t and a doombuggy captured what was left in his belly. She laughed about it and SEVERAL people walked in the pile while we were waiting…all you could do was laugh.

We successfully made it through the HM (with no one throwing up) and I think we made it over to PotC. NaCler had been texting back and forth with our very own rdeacon—he was posting on FB that he was in the park. Well, we tried a few times to meetup, but with no success. We were off by only a little bit at a few points.
We complained about the fastpass+ messing up the queues while we staggered into our boat. After that we agreed that a Dole Whip was in order!
Mmmmmmmmmm

I don’t recall doing anything after that except wishing we weren’t so tired. We made our way up front and parted ways with the NaClers hoping to see them tomorrow, but we had no hard plans. Their ferry came right away but ours took forever and I think NaCler texted me the next morning and we were still waiting to get off the boat. ;)
What a great day with great people.

NaCler: Your turn!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 07, 2013 9:56 am

Aww, sounds like a great first couple of days. I've not had the pleasure of hanging our with Mrs. NaCler yet, but I bet she is every bit as wonderful as NaCler himself. And I'm really looking forward to the day when I can meet y'all!
As for the spilled beer ~ the horror!! ~ it looks to me like the only beer is sitting at the photographers spot at the table....hmmmmm..... ;)
Oh, I can only imagine how horrible the HM situation was :( glad the CM was able to joke about it though!
Congrats on the APs!!
Your boys have gotten a lot bigger since their last appearance in a trip report ~ they grow so fast don't they?!
More?! :D

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Mon 07, 2013 12:36 pm

BRAVO!!!! :D It sounds like you really had a wonderful time! I'm so happy for you all.

Bdude and I enjoyed the meetup we were able to make in 2010, I think it's neat when you cross people's paths and you hit it off!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 07, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't know WWDRH, I would have been gagging and nearly joining in the activities of the child who left the puke pile rather than laughing. EEW! :shock: Your trip sounds lovely.

When I was a kid, we had a SMALL (I'm not kidding. 16 feet? 14 feet? TINY) travel trailer that my dad pulled with a 1975 station wagon (when the engine blew in 1978, he had a pickup truck engine put into it, 400 cubic inches of power and gas hogginess!). So many awesome memories in that thing. I wish that I could have had one while the girls were growing up. I still want to have an RV of some sort so we can do all the great traveling I like "on a budget." We have tents and things but I've come to the point in my life when sleeping on the ground just doesn't yank my chain like it used to. We're hanging onto the camping equipment because the girls still like to camp. Taking an RV to WDW would be exactly my kind of thing to do. Great plan to eat most meals in the trailer. Must be nice that you can just drive down for a long camping weekend. And now that you have AP's that's much more do-able!

Waiting impatiently for NaCler's input. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Tue 08, 2013 2:22 pm

This is a great TR!

DW and I went to WL to walk around and check it out on our last trip and I fell in love with it. I wish we had a money tree growing in the back yard so we could get APs and stay at all of the different resorts. I have a good friend who went to Fort Wilderness every year growing up in his family's camper. He loved it and it was their way to get to WDW on a budget each year. If DW and I can get down there for another extended trip, we will have to find some time to mosey on over to Fort Wilderness to check out the camp grounds.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Tue 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Awesome job WWDRH. I'm sorry to keep everyone waiting but with the loss of my phone (RIP) it's been a little harder to come up with the pictures from this trip as they were all on my phone. I'm working on it and I think I may have most of them. Coming soon... The rebuttal... Haha...

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Wed 09, 2013 7:36 am

ooooh I can't wait! Sorry for the loss of your phone NaCler :(

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Oct Wed 09, 2013 9:08 am

Amy wrote:Aww, sounds like a great first couple of days. I've not had the pleasure of hanging our with Mrs. NaCler yet, but I bet she is every bit as wonderful as NaCler himself. And I'm really looking forward to the day when I can meet y'all!
Totally agree--can you imagine the bunch of us wandering around the World? Some day!!!
Amy wrote:As for the spilled beer ~ the horror!! ~ it looks to me like the only beer is sitting at the photographers spot at the table....hmmmmm..... ;)
Thats because "other people" had spilled theirs. ;)
Amy wrote:Oh, I can only imagine how horrible the HM situation was :( glad the CM was able to joke about it though!
Congrats on the APs!!
Your boys have gotten a lot bigger since their last appearance in a trip report ~ they grow so fast don't they?!
More?! :D
Its crazy!! I am so glad they came. They are also coming for Wine and Dine. We bought them the after party pass so they can party (so to speak) with us until 4am!

boilerbabe wrote:BRAVO!!!! :D It sounds like you really had a wonderful time! I'm so happy for you all.

Bdude and I enjoyed the meetup we were able to make in 2010, I think it's neat when you cross people's paths and you hit it off!
Its been great hanging with them--I wish we lived closer...but then again the distance prevents any regular mischief! ;)

cy1229 wrote:I don't know WWDRH, I would have been gagging and nearly joining in the activities of the child who left the puke pile rather than laughing. EEW! :shock: Your trip sounds lovely.

When I was a kid, we had a SMALL (I'm not kidding. 16 feet? 14 feet? TINY) travel trailer that my dad pulled with a 1975 station wagon (when the engine blew in 1978, he had a pickup truck engine put into it, 400 cubic inches of power and gas hogginess!). So many awesome memories in that thing. I wish that I could have had one while the girls were growing up. I still want to have an RV of some sort so we can do all the great traveling I like "on a budget." We have tents and things but I've come to the point in my life when sleeping on the ground just doesn't yank my chain like it used to. We're hanging onto the camping equipment because the girls still like to camp. Taking an RV to WDW would be exactly my kind of thing to do. Great plan to eat most meals in the trailer. Must be nice that you can just drive down for a long camping weekend. And now that you have AP's that's much more do-able!

Waiting impatiently for NaCler's input. :D
Thanks Cy! I secretly hope that the kids take memories from this trip like you did and I did when I was younger. Every trip doesnt have to be the GF---sometimes its OK to go "on the cheap." ...and they understand that.
As far as the protein spill---puke never bothered me---but it was pretty still in there and the smell was everywhere! I am glad the poor CM was OK with it--I know other people would get queasy with it. Keep reading---theres plenty more fun in store! :)
theBIGyowski wrote:This is a great TR!

DW and I went to WL to walk around and check it out on our last trip and I fell in love with it. I wish we had a money tree growing in the back yard so we could get APs and stay at all of the different resorts. I have a good friend who went to Fort Wilderness every year growing up in his family's camper. He loved it and it was their way to get to WDW on a budget each year. If DW and I can get down there for another extended trip, we will have to find some time to mosey on over to Fort Wilderness to check out the camp grounds.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!
You should! Make sure you get into where the campers are and see how everything is setup. It really is a nice place--just HUGE!!! I can't believe it took this long for us to get there.

Thanks for reading everyone--no pressure NaCler---you''re up Bud.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Sat 19, 2013 8:31 pm

First, I would like to thank all of you for reading about our adventures. Trust me, we had such a great time, we will definitely be doing it again any chance we get.

Now, this was WWDRH’s trip before I butted in and invited myself, right H? I received a text from H about a trip he was planning on taking during Labor Day weekend with the family and his camper. He was looking for a good spot to camp somewhere near Jacksonville. Well, of course this sparked my interest as I was going to see my brother again. I recommended a camping spot about 10 minutes from my house and talks just went on from there.

I was able to get friends of ours to watch my kids so that we could go away for the weekend. We booked one of our favorite cheap resorts, Pop Century, but the closer we got to the date the more I considered upgrading hotels. I mean, H’s family was staying at Ft Wilderness, wouldn’t it be awesome if we could stay at the Wilderness Lodge? Well, it just so happened that there was a 30% discount on Deluxe hotels, so we did it. There was a little more to it, as I had planned on going running with them and there was a great path between the two places (as H has already pointed out), but more on that later.

I have never stayed at the Wilderness Lodge before, so I took a few pics:
Reminded me of The Shining
The wall in the shower
Our view from the balcony (those are the WL Villas)

Our plan was to check in and chill at the hotel in the pool and spa before our dinner at Ohana at 8p. Then enjoy a wonderful meal and catch Wishes on the Poly beach at 9p. Everything went according to plan. Except we had the slowest service we have ever had at Ohana. It took us an hour and forty-five minutes to eat dinner. But, even that worked out because Wishes wasn’t until 10p (I don’t know what I was thinking!). We had a romantic boat ride over to the MK during the Water Pageant and a short trip back to the WL. Upgrading had already paid off.

Next chapter… I’m reunited with my brother and we take over their vacation. It will be soon, I promise.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 20, 2013 7:37 am

The wilderness lodge looks like it is huge! I'm sure we saw that as part of our tour one time, but I don't remember it being that big :shock:
Love all the little extra details they throw in ~ like the tiles in the shower :D
The hallway does look like the shining!! :lol:
Looking forward to more...and the reason you did not run with H...ahem...

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Sun 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Impatiently waiting.... :lol:

It really does look like the Shining! We stopped there many moons ago to check it out, I remember thinking it was a beautiful resort, but reminds me too much of home! (Not that we live in a log cabin, but the woods etc....)

Looking forward to hearing your details NaCler!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Sun 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Day 2 - Ok, the plan was to get up early and run over to Ft Wilderness and meet up with H and his lovely wife on the trail. I really did want to run but I had not been training and knew I couldn’t go very far. Plus, my wife wasn’t going to join in, so it would mean waking up early and sneaking out on the lightest sleeper ever. Once I had stuffed myself silly at Ohana, I knew I was down for the count and that running was not an option. The one good thing from this was that I felt so bad about not running, it sparked my training when I got back home and I have not looked back since.

Since H was the good one and kept to the plan of running, they were running a little behind on our plan to meet at rope drop at MGM ( :D ). I figured since he was not a fan of RnR, I would go ahead and ride it with my wife, then volunteer to sit out with him while his family enjoyed it. But, it didn’t quite work out like that. His family is very persuasive and we all got the chance to ride it together. We got all strapped in and in the ready position for launch. Then waited and waited. The whole time I was laughing at H. The anticipation of the launch is the worst part and it honestly lasted a good 3-5 minutes. The on ride photo is so awesome, I have to share it (sorry H, this is for the fru-fru coffee pic!):

After RnR we decided not to do ToT right away, so we went over to Star Tours, which was walk on. Then I believe we headed back over to ToT. Poor H got stuck on the back row with us and I guess we didn’t get the memo about the Mike W shirt. (Sorry for the blurry photo)

We then went on the Great Movie Ride and agreed that while the ride is a classic, it REALLY needs updating or at least a less cheesy script. I wish they would treat it like the Jungle Cruise and change up the dialog a little. It’s sad that we can basically quote the entire ride. After the little trip through the movies, H’s boys wanted to do Star Tours again and since my wife got a little queasy the first time, we figured we would part ways for now. It was getting hot and a trip to the pool and a possible nap sounded pretty nice. The plan was to meet at the camper in Ft Wilderness later in the day for some drinks and some good food.

To be continued… 8-)