Sigh, sometimes life is more important!!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Sigh, sometimes life is more important!!

Post by Metalfan » Sep Sat 07, 2013 12:04 am

Should have been getting back from my trip to Disney with my gf for her first real trip but we've had to postpone it twice!! Now, until April. She just started a new job and just can't take time off!!! So we figured a week in April. How do others get by when you get excited about a trip and have it moved?

I wanted her to get a new job so I'm thrilled she got it and is happy. But it's hard to ask for a week off a little over a month after you've been at the job ya know? Her job has a weird thing about PTO (Paid Time Off) that she has to use that for Holidays. So, in reality it's gonna be something where we needed to look for a time where there was a gap to gain time off and no Holidays. She was broken hearted but we needed to look at the bright side and know this was best for us and our future but most of all for her.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Sigh, sometimes life is more important!!

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Sat 07, 2013 9:45 am

Hang in there Metalfan, that is a total bummer! I usually start planning for the next trip, that got me through the last time bdude and I thought we were going to be able to sneak on a trip, then coudln't do it and had to cancel, it killed me to cancel! I wanted to cry, the CM probably thought there was something wrong with me, :lol:

Congrats to your girlfriend on the new job! In the past, if when DH and I were going to start a new job, we would tell them prior to starting we already had a vaca planned, tickets bought, etc.. they usually will be decent and honor that (again, usually). I used to work for a hospital, so I understand how PTO works and bosses being strange about how you label your days off. I truly hope an April trip works out for you too! All the best!!!

For now...just listen to Sub and envision your future trip! And of course your Sub family is here for support! :wink:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Gosh Metalfan, that is too bad. I agree with b-babe, I think you can generally mention ahead of starting a job that you have something that can't be moved, but it might be better not to rock the boat. That is great that she has a new job, hopefully she will be doing something she enjoys! I haven't had to deal with vacation days or PTO for a long time...and before that I was pretty lucky at the fire department as we were allowed trade time between crews as long as both shifts agreed with the switch. People almost always said yes because they wanted to be able to trade themselves if they needed to.
We have been very fortunate and never had to cancel any planned trips. Maybe you could start looking for those dates that fit into your girlfriend's new work schedule and look for good deals at WDW during those times :mickey:

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Sep Sun 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Aww thanks BB and Amy! Yea I've never seen a job do that!! And really she had some other things she had to take some early days off so we decided to move it to December but then she learned about her time off so we had to push it back. We'll just enjoy Sub as always and keep planning!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Sun 08, 2013 4:49 pm

DH was able to do it with his current job, but I'm sure not every job would allow it?! Pick a fav song here on Sub and go your happy place!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sun 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Is it one of those situations where everyone is taking a vacation week between Christmas and new year? Some older companies do that, but you usually still have the option to come in if you either do not want to use your days or if you were going to be short and would be unpaid. Granted, you also would have a very dull time at the office. If it is only a day or two they would be short, it might be in your best interest to see if that could work and then you wouldn't need to rebook.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Is it one of those situations where everyone is taking a vacation week between Christmas and new year? Some older companies do that, but you usually still have the option to come in if you either do not want to use your days or if you were going to be short and would be unpaid. Granted, you also would have a very dull time at the office. If it is only a day or two they would be short, it might be in your best interest to see if that could work and then you wouldn't need to rebook.
I loved working between Christmas and New Years when I worked in an office. It was a skeleton staff, completely casual and very easy to get things done as no one was bothering you every 5 seconds with something else!
Hope it all works out without a problem. Maybe you will find the new time works better all around, or you can fit in a new festival or show because you had to change your dates.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sun 08, 2013 9:09 pm

I still wish my place would adopt the policy of the place my friend works, you don't have to take holiday days on the actual holiday and can transfer the hours. Work from home for most of Thanksgiving day and black Friday and then you get an extra couple of days if you want to make something a 4 day weekend.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 09, 2013 8:00 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I still wish my place would adopt the policy of the place my friend works, you don't have to take holiday days on the actual holiday and can transfer the hours. Work from home for most of Thanksgiving day and black Friday and then you get an extra couple of days if you want to make something a 4 day weekend.
That sounds like an awesome policy! Do they work for a smaller or larger company?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Mon 09, 2013 2:51 pm

They are an indie studio, right now they are working with 2K games. I think they are a team of like 70 people. I want that policy here and other companies. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 10, 2013 11:29 am

Wizzard419 wrote:They are an indie studio, right now they are working with 2K games. I think they are a team of like 70 people. I want that policy here and other companies. :D
It would be nice, but then you might have to give up your work lunches at DL though...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Nah, as long as you are above the drones you are able to do that stuff.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Thu 12, 2013 9:08 am

The bright side is that you're going to postpone your trip rather than cancel it outright. It only softens the blow, though, doesn't it?

My hubby started a new job about 6 weeks before we had a Disney trip scheduled. He just told the guy in the interview, right up front, that he had this trip planned, reserved, paid for, everything. It was a week off work without pay, but he still got it off without a problem. The key is to communicate as early as possible.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016