Mindflipper's Trip from August 23, 2013

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Mindflipper's Trip from August 23, 2013

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 07, 2013 3:06 pm

mindflipper wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:Sorry you experienced technical difficulties!
There's more to technical difficulties with the MagicBands. After doing the online check-in, and then doing it all over again upon arrival, it still didn't work. I tried to purchase something at the Fantasia gift shop on the Concourse and the MagicBand still didn't work. The gift shop cashier recommended I go back down to reception and have them re-do all over again and then come back up to complete the purchase. Really? "Yeh.....no" was my response. Just pulled out the wallet and paid it that way. So good luck to those of you who wish to link up your MagicBand for making purchases. Hoepfully, because of complaints from those in the test phase, maybe they will find and fix the bugs. Maybe. :twisted: :lol: :wink:
I wonder how many people would have done just as she suggested, going down to try to get the MagicBand straightened out to make the purchase?! Smart thinking mindflipper :D

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Probably a decent number went back down to reception to straighten it out if they wanted to use the linked card functionality, but not necessarily for that transaction. It probably has the same issue every other high volume service has when it is just starting the roll out, they can prepare for the volume but they still overtax the system and various features do not work. At least the core admission/room key works.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Sep Sat 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Give it time. Disney will get the bugs out. :shock: :goofy:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Probably a decent number went back down to reception to straighten it out if they wanted to use the linked card functionality, but not necessarily for that transaction. It probably has the same issue every other high volume service has when it is just starting the roll out, they can prepare for the volume but they still overtax the system and various features do not work. At least the core admission/room key works.
I had no problem with it for room access. I didn't get to use the MagicBand for park admission. For some reason, when MK does early admission, they use turnstyles that had not been updated for MagicBands, so you had to use the card for admission. I will presume they will change that in the future. I had no problems at attractions using it for fastpass+ access.
Goofyfan wrote:Give it time. Disney will get the bugs out. :shock: :goofy:
They need to - and quickly. I did not find the terminals in the park that easy to use if you wish to change fastpass times. Even the attendant had problems with it. Aside from response time being slow, the software is VERY limited in what it will do at this point. You can't "swap" attractions around. It appears you have to drop and then re-add. Much more time consuming. It just worked out better to use the card to get a regular fastpass instead.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Wed 11, 2013 3:05 pm

How was the cell service or did you go wifi since it is a data heavy app?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Behind the Scenes Steam Train Tour

Post by mindflipper » Sep Sat 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Finally, the latest installment of my trip report. I was going to do it last weekend, but Subsonic was down.

Friday August 23, 2013

we get up early - 6 AM - to get dressed, packed, eat breakfast, check-out and check lugagge with the bell service. This was a one day trip, and the day at the park begins before the park even opens - at 7:15 AM. Unfortunately, that means we can't take a monorail from the Contemporary to the MK. Yep, had to hoof it.

So we walked...wait! SQUIRREL!

Had to do that. I know MmeLeota will appreciate that. But we were surprised to see how many wild rabbits were running around the place:

We arrived at the outside of the train station area and the whole area was vacant. We arrived early for the BTS Steam Train Tour. Our tour guide arrived on time to take us in:

And so did the train that will take us on the tour, the Roy Disney:

It was cool to see Main Stret totally devoid of life but I was stopped from taking a photo. Why? There was a pick-up truck on the street and security guidelines don't allow it to be photographed with an anachronistic vehile present. No joke. The train took the loop to the Fantasyland Station, once there, the switch was thrown, and we slowly reversed off the the park loop back into the "roundhouse" facility. They call it a roundhouse, but in reality, it's not. More like a depot. But it also stores the monorails when not in use:

And the building in the background of this picture is the machine shop were many ride components and AA are assembled for the parks:

But we're here for the trains. The Roy Disney went back on its way and left us with the other two, the Walt Disney and Roger Broggie:

The Walt Disney is used only for the morning opening show and then returns back to the "roundhouse". Here's the where one of the trains would be stored in the "roundhouse":

That opening in the ground is "the pit". When a train is parked there, the locomotive is over the pit which allows the mechanics to work on the underneath of the locomotive. But our tour was with the Roger Broggie:

Tim was a good tour guide and imparted some interesting bits of information:

* These are not standard size locomotives and passenger cars. These are a narrow guage (means the rails are closer) than the normal guage.
The reason behind using this size is because of Main Street itself. With diminishing scale of the buildings, a full size train would be out of scale.

* The train (locomotive and passenger cars) have a combined weight of 85 tons.

* The train does NOT run on coal, but #2 low phosphorous oil (diesel).

* The locomotive has NO brakes. The brakes are on the passenger cars. However, the passenger cars have no power source for the brakes.
The locomotive has the power source for the brakes. So, for the brakes to work, the train (locomotive and passenger cars) are needed to be together.
Standard size locomotives (not these narrow guage) normally would have brakes on the locomotives.

* The trains were not built for WDW. They purchased from the Yucatan Railroad in Mexico and transported from the Mexico border to Florida.

* When the trains return at night and the fire for the boiler is turned off, the locomotive do not fully cool down. It actually takes 48+ hours
for a locomotive to fully cool down.

We even got to see the controls inside the cab of the locomotive:

Interesting bits:

* the "Johnson Bar" is like a gear shift in car, and it has three settings: forward, neutral and reverse.

* the water guage and the pressure guage for the boiler.

* the throttle.

* the speedometer. The train is limited to running to around 10 mph in the park (about 5 mph when reversing). It exceeds the set upper limit,
an alarm will go off and the engineer will get in trouble for exceeding the speed limit.

* The engineers are unable to sit facing foward. There's not the room. One leg is forward, while the other is at 90 degrees.

Well, it's time to return back to theMK. Time to light the boiler:

Next we would board the passenger car, followed by the pressure cap-off before we rode the Roger Broggie back to the park. Back at the park, where after a brief break, we continued the tour in the train station where Tim the Tour Guide explained all things concerning the trains, including who Roger Broggie was, the Carrolwood railroad at Walt's home, the Ft. Wilderness railway train, and the purchase deal with Yucatan Railroad. Even the fact of who's listed as the head of MK railroad:

Next time: the rest of the day in the park...
Last edited by mindflipper on Sep Mon 23, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Sat 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:How was the cell service or did you go wifi since it is a data heavy app?
I don't have a smartphone. I'm rockin' it old style with my mobile. Having been in the parks with the Mousekecouple and Len90, the one thing I have realized is that cell service for AT&T iphones can really suck in the parks. Not just the phone service, but the internet as well. So my guess would be good luck using that app in the parks.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Nice summary of the Steam Train Tour mindflipper. I don't think I remember nearly all those facts from my tour! It really was neat to see the inside of the locomotive :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Sun 22, 2013 12:04 am

Amy wrote:Nice summary of the Steam Train Tour mindflipper. I don't think I remember nearly all those facts from my tour! It really was neat to see the inside of the locomotive :D
You didn't get to go up in the cab when you did the tour?

BTW you were the one who gave me the idea.

This trip was a father-son trip. My dad is a big steam train enthusiast, and the BTS Steam Train Tour was his birthday gift.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 22, 2013 8:33 am

mindflipper wrote:
Amy wrote:Nice summary of the Steam Train Tour mindflipper. I don't think I remember nearly all those facts from my tour! It really was neat to see the inside of the locomotive :D
You didn't get to go up in the cab when you did the tour?

BTW you were the one who gave me the idea.

This trip was a father-son trip. My dad is a big steam train enthusiast, and the BTS Steam Train Tour was his birthday gift.
We did go into the cab on the tour, I was just remarking that it was neat to have been able to do that. Guess I should have started a new line ;) I thought it was pretty neat how they started the boiler with the little ball of flame too!
That is a very nice birthday present for your Dad mindflipper :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sun 22, 2013 11:00 am

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:How was the cell service or did you go wifi since it is a data heavy app?
I don't have a smartphone. I'm rockin' it old style with my mobile. Having been in the parks with the Mousekecouple and Len90, the one thing I have realized is that cell service for AT&T iphones can really suck in the parks. Not just the phone service, but the internet as well. So my guess would be good luck using that app in the parks.
As part of the deal of being "The official wireless provider" for the parks, they have been installing more equipment inside since they are going to need it to handle the users. I would imagine also more wifi since not ever person using it has a domestic plan.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Sun 22, 2013 11:51 am

I love it mindflipper! How do you remember all of this interesting tidbits!!! :D Loved the pictuers too, I want more!!!!!

Boilerdude
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Boilerdude » Sep Mon 23, 2013 8:25 am

I love the pics and the bits of information. And you do not need a ball of fire to start these Boilers :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 23, 2013 8:33 am

Boilerdude wrote:I love the pics and the bits of information. And you do not need a ball of fire to start these Boilers :lol:
Maybe just a nip of rum ;)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 23, 2013 10:54 am

I just noticed this morning that some of the photobucket links got screwed up somehow in my original posting. It's fixed now.