Our Magic Bands have arrived!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Our Magic Bands have arrived!

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Mon 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Welcome back Belle! I hope you had a great trip! :D I'm glad to hear that the MB's worked well for you. We recently got ours in the mail and we're looking forward to using them on our upcoming trip!!! I wonder if there is a way to load my Disney rewards on there from my Disney Visa?! I'm assuming not, but that would be super cool! One less thing to carry with me!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Tue 12, 2013 10:21 am

Right now DW and I have everything except for park passes. I am wondering if we need to go ahead and buy these so we can link them to our MyDisney profiles in order to get our Magic Bands. We are renting DVC...so that is why we don't have tickets yet. I know I want us to have enough time to get FP+ stuff setup as I am pretty sure I've read that legacy FP will be going away in January...and our trip is for mid January.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 12, 2013 2:21 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Right now DW and I have everything except for park passes. I am wondering if we need to go ahead and buy these so we can link them to our MyDisney profiles in order to get our Magic Bands. We are renting DVC...so that is why we don't have tickets yet. I know I want us to have enough time to get FP+ stuff setup as I am pretty sure I've read that legacy FP will be going away in January...and our trip is for mid January.
I wonder if it would be a good idea to call Kidani Village or guest relations at the parks and ask someone about the tickets?

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Tue 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:Right now DW and I have everything except for park passes. I am wondering if we need to go ahead and buy these so we can link them to our MyDisney profiles in order to get our Magic Bands. We are renting DVC...so that is why we don't have tickets yet. I know I want us to have enough time to get FP+ stuff setup as I am pretty sure I've read that legacy FP will be going away in January...and our trip is for mid January.
I wonder if it would be a good idea to call Kidani Village or guest relations at the parks and ask someone about the tickets?
Yeah I was planning on doing that if I couldn't figure it out any other way. My main thing is having enough time to get FP+ setup for attractions and times that we prefer.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 12, 2013 3:32 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
Amy wrote:
Yeah I was planning on doing that if I couldn't figure it out any other way. My main thing is having enough time to get FP+ setup for attractions and times that we prefer.
Probably better to check sooner rather than later then. You aren't that far out from your trip!

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Nov Wed 13, 2013 9:50 am

boilerbabe wrote:Welcome back Belle! I hope you had a great trip! :D I'm glad to hear that the MB's worked well for you. We recently got ours in the mail and we're looking forward to using them on our upcoming trip!!! I wonder if there is a way to load my Disney rewards on there from my Disney Visa?! I'm assuming not, but that would be super cool! One less thing to carry with me!
Thanks!!! Yes - I am a big fan of the MB so far. :-) We connected our Disney Visa to our MB's, but I'm not sure about the rewards. Definitely a great way to not have to carry so much stuff with you. We kept saying how nice it would be to have some sort of a time piece on the MB because we are always looking to it like a watch and keeping an eye out for the time for your fast passes, dining reservations, etc --- and while we were there we heard something about them coming out with MB's with clocks in them! That would make so much sense! :-)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Wed 13, 2013 10:16 am

Belle1082 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:Welcome back Belle! I hope you had a great trip! :D I'm glad to hear that the MB's worked well for you. We recently got ours in the mail and we're looking forward to using them on our upcoming trip!!! I wonder if there is a way to load my Disney rewards on there from my Disney Visa?! I'm assuming not, but that would be super cool! One less thing to carry with me!
Thanks!!! Yes - I am a big fan of the MB so far. :-) We connected our Disney Visa to our MB's, but I'm not sure about the rewards. Definitely a great way to not have to carry so much stuff with you. We kept saying how nice it would be to have some sort of a time piece on the MB because we are always looking to it like a watch and keeping an eye out for the time for your fast passes, dining reservations, etc --- and while we were there we heard something about them coming out with MB's with clocks in them! That would make so much sense! :-)
I wonder if there's a way to clip a watch charm or pendant onto it?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Nov Wed 13, 2013 11:16 am

I'm sure they are going to make it happen like that. it would just make so much sense! I saw all of the accessories that they have already come up with to 'dress up' the magic bands and i'm sure they are going to make a killing with that stuff!
I actually preferred mine just green. :-)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Belle1082 wrote:
I would think your Disney Visa rewards would work just the same as if you used a credit card. Not sure you could transfer the rewards onto the band to use them though...
I bet the clock add-on will be a bit on the pricey side if they do one. I wonder how many people would opt for that feature?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Wed 13, 2013 2:21 pm

I could see where they might come out with a watch version of the MB's, that would make alot of sense!!! :D I'm going to find out for the heck of it if I can attach my Visa rewards to my MB!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Wed 13, 2013 2:47 pm

About 10 years ago, probably, but considering they want you to use a smart phone with it (and the simple proliferation of phones to begin with), you already have a timepiece on your person in addition to the clocks that are above all FP (unless they removed them at WDW) entrances.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Nov Wed 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:About 10 years ago, probably, but considering they want you to use a smart phone with it (and the simple proliferation of phones to begin with), you already have a timepiece on your person in addition to the clocks that are above all FP (unless they removed them at WDW) entrances.
Honestly though, it would be really helpful. Most people have their phones near by, but when you just need to check the time, it being on the MB would be helpful. And when we were there we did hear something about watch/time pieces with magic bands, so I'm sure Disney is all over that already. It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to just look at your phone but for whatever reason is just made sense when we were there.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Wed 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Belle1082 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:About 10 years ago, probably, but considering they want you to use a smart phone with it (and the simple proliferation of phones to begin with), you already have a timepiece on your person in addition to the clocks that are above all FP (unless they removed them at WDW) entrances.
Honestly though, it would be really helpful. Most people have their phones near by, but when you just need to check the time, it being on the MB would be helpful. And when we were there we did hear something about watch/time pieces with magic bands, so I'm sure Disney is all over that already. It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to just look at your phone but for whatever reason is just made sense when we were there.
my phone is like a piece of bathroom tile (not kidding... about 3" x 5") and doesn't fit in my pocket. So, if I want to look at it for the time, I have to drag it out of my purse, which isn't always convenient. Unfortunately for me, my wrist does not permit me to wear any watch of any type - gold, leather, plastic, doesn't matter - so I have to look at my phone or ask someone else the time. Since most people aren't like me, though, and most people have smart phones that are also about the same size as a piece of bathroom tile, having a wrist watch is hyperconvenient. Just makes sense to have a MB / wrist watch for only, say, $15 more? :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Nov Wed 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Maybe you should get a pocket watch:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Wed 13, 2013 9:05 pm

cy1229 wrote: my phone is like a piece of bathroom tile (not kidding... about 3" x 5") and doesn't fit in my pocket. So, if I want to look at it for the time, I have to drag it out of my purse, which isn't always convenient. Unfortunately for me, my wrist does not permit me to wear any watch of any type - gold, leather, plastic, doesn't matter - so I have to look at my phone or ask someone else the time. Since most people aren't like me, though, and most people have smart phones that are also about the same size as a piece of bathroom tile, having a wrist watch is hyperconvenient. Just makes sense to have a MB / wrist watch for only, say, $15 more? :)
I can think of a few reasons why they wouldn't do it, one being that it would theoretically detract from the app use and Daily Active Users (DAUs) which are benchmarks for performance. The other is that if it were just a watch and didn't provide any signal as to a FP being ready to use, then what would be the point, and if it were signaling your pass is ready to use then why would you need the timepiece?