I miss it here...

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

I miss it here...

Post by jlpeaches255 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 10:13 am

Good morning all. It has been years since I posted here and I sure do miss it! :mickey:
Life has taken crazy turns and I mostly live on Facebook now.
I have a Distrip scheduled for November that may be my most stressful and most fun of all time and I need some support to get through it!!!
I am now divorced and my ex wants to take the kids to Disney but my kids felt awful about seeing New Fantasyland without their Disney crazy Mama soooooo we are all going! (oh and my ex's girlfriend) :hatter_bounce: I will be in a different resort than my ex and we will split our time with the kids. I will get to have one day with just my son (12), and one day with just my daughter (9). I will get to be in Disney alone some days (which I have done before and I LOVE) And as long as I don't have to see my ex for anything other than kids swaps this may actually work. Final point: My health is declining from my Multiple Sclerosis and for the first time ever I may have to think about a wheelchair. :(
But still...feeling guardedly optimistic about this trip :)

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I miss it here...

Post by horizons1 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:16 am

Hope you have a great time and are healthy enough to have a magical trip. Welcome back to Subsonic.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:34 am

jlpeaches255 wrote:Good morning all. It has been years since I posted here and I sure do miss it! :mickey:
Life has taken crazy turns and I mostly live on Facebook now.
I have a Distrip scheduled for November that may be my most stressful and most fun of all time and I need some support to get through it!!!
I am now divorced and my ex wants to take the kids to Disney but my kids felt awful about seeing New Fantasyland without their Disney crazy Mama soooooo we are all going! (oh and my ex's girlfriend) :hatter_bounce: I will be in a different resort than my ex and we will split our time with the kids. I will get to have one day with just my son (12), and one day with just my daughter (9). I will get to be in Disney alone some days (which I have done before and I LOVE) And as long as I don't have to see my ex for anything other than kids swaps this may actually work. Final point: My health is declining from my Multiple Sclerosis and for the first time ever I may have to think about a wheelchair. :(
But still...feeling guardedly optimistic about this trip :)
We have missed you as well jlpeaches255! That sounds like an interesting trip to say the least. Glad you will be able to spend the time with your children. Don't worry if you have to utilize a wheelchair, it will make your trip much easier and enjoyable for you. For the most part WDW is very good about accommodations. My Mom has had to use an ECV the last two trips due to multiple medical conditions and it has made a world of difference in her energy levels. Before I would tell her I would meet her at an attraction at a certain time so she would be free to walk slowly and rest along the way. The last few times I have had to tell her to slow down because she was speeding along so fast :lol:
I echo horizons1 wishes for a magical trip!
(Are we friends on facebook? I am just under my regular name. Do send me a request if you would like to, I spend too much time on Facebook but love having Disney friends over there as well :mickey:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 8:51 pm

As difficult and awkward as it may be for you, that you and your ex are willing to cooperate on a Disney trip for your kids is FANTASTIC. They will always appreciate it.

Have you considered renting a ECV?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Aug Sun 04, 2013 10:02 am

Needing advice on choosing a dining plan. It looks as though I will be going with a All Star resort so quick service will be free....Kids are booked under my ex's reservation at the Caribbean, Full dining plan. Upgrading to full dining for myself seems like the obvious answer but doing a sit down meal each day (especially on my alone days) kind of annoys me. There are a couple of places I would love to go on the days I do have my kids. So I might consider upgrading to deluxe dining so that my options will be open? Any thoughts??? I will have my kids for 4 1/2 days of an 8 day trip.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Sun 04, 2013 10:13 am

Personally I wouldn't upgrade. Take whats free and pay the rest out of pockets. Do the math. Fi0gure out where you may eat, and see how much what items you may want. If its the convenience factor of not having to pay at the time of the meal, put money on Disney gift card the price of the dining plan. Use it for your meals, and you will most likely have some left over to buy a souvenir with!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Aug Sun 04, 2013 11:07 am

yodiwan1 wrote:Personally I wouldn't upgrade. Take whats free and pay the rest out of pockets. Do the math. Fi0gure out where you may eat, and see how much what items you may want. If its the convenience factor of not having to pay at the time of the meal, put money on Disney gift card the price of the dining plan. Use it for your meals, and you will most likely have some left over to buy a souvenir with!

I like this idea!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 04, 2013 11:15 am

I agree with yodiwan1, I would take the free dining and pay for the other meals. The kids might be not all that thrilled about sitting and eating a sit down meal all the time either. I don't know if they allow you to use a table service credit for a quick service meal or not, but that might be something to look into. The kids can eat with you and y'all can be on your way back to attractions and shows faster!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Sun 04, 2013 3:45 pm

I must have missed this topic when I was doing my catch up here on Sub! Welcome back jlpeaches! I was absent for a long time too, glad you're back as well! My thoughts and prayers are with you, hugs and pixie dust! We have a family member with MS, I know it can be difficult. I think it's wonderful that you're going to Disney and will be able to spend time with your kids!

I agree with what the others have posted. We don't normally do the dining plan so I don't have much experience but I would think it would be more cost effective to take the free dining and just pay out of pocket for the rest. Do you have a Disney Visa? DH and I usually will cash out our Disney dollars and use that for food money. Of course it doesn't cover all food expenses, but it helps. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Another thing to check into is whether a Tables in Wonderland card would be worthwhile. I'm guessing probably not since you would only be using it for a few days, but it doesn't cost anything to look at whether it might save you a bit!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Sun 04, 2013 5:26 pm

I think Tables in Wonderland is only for AP holders?!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 04, 2013 5:58 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I think Tables in Wonderland is only for AP holders?!
Oh. Whoops. Looked it up and yes, it is only for Florida Residents, Disney Vacation Club Members and Annual/Seasonal Passholders...not sure where jlpeaches255 lives...

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Sun 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:I think Tables in Wonderland is only for AP holders?!
Oh. Whoops. Looked it up and yes, it is only for Florida Residents, Disney Vacation Club Members and Annual/Seasonal Passholders...not sure where jlpeaches255 lives...
No worry! We had wanted to get the Tables in Wonderland for Dec but we don't have our AP's anymore, boo! Bdude and I were saying you'd think they would still offer that, possibly make it a bit more expensive for non AP holders, DVC and Fl residents?! Ah well.

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Aug Sun 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Another question, since my kids will be on a different plan than I am, do you think they will give me a hard time "paying" with two different room keys? My son's suggestion was to type out our situation, sign it, have it witnessed, notarized and laminated so our waitstaff can read it while we look over the menus. (My son cracks me up btw)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 05, 2013 6:39 am

jlpeaches255 wrote:Another question, since my kids will be on a different plan than I am, do you think they will give me a hard time "paying" with two different room keys? My son's suggestion was to type out our situation, sign it, have it witnessed, notarized and laminated so our waitstaff can read it while we look over the menus. (My son cracks me up btw)
That is actually a good question. You might want to call WDW and speak with someone in guest relations and see what they suggest. It probably isn't a horrible idea to do what your son suggested, although the notarization might be a bit overkill ;) I wouldn't think it should be a problem as the cards will have different reservation numbers on them so they can see it is a different package.