Trip to WDW in July... but no parks

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Trip to WDW in July... but no parks

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Sat 15, 2013 9:11 am

We are going to WDW in July, and not going to any of the parks... can you believe it?

Well I thought some of you might find this interesting. We are Florida residents in Miami, and we have the Disney Seasonal Annual Pass. It's quite reasonable $300 for the year. However, the kicker is that it's not good for 10 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas and a week or so at Easter.

We plan trips around this, we usually go in April, May, and the first possible weekend in August (the 15th this year), again in October (after hurricane season, and beginning of December. So that being said, I have planned a trip in July. (?) :shock: We are going to have a Non-Parks weekend. We are staying in Downtown Disney (no need to stay at a Disney Resort, not going to the parks), and I made dinner ADR's at Chef Mickey's and Ohana. And breakfast ADR's at Boma and the Kona cafe. Here is my schedule:

Drive up from Miami Friday mid morning, check into hotel then drive to Wilderness Lodge.
Have an adult beverage out by the pool bar and relax.
Take the boat from Wilderness Lodge to Contemporary for dinner at Chef Mickey's
Go to the Top bar to watch the fireworks at MK

Saturday breakfast at Boma in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Relax look around.
Go to the outlets, shopping at the Disney outlet for sure!
Go to EPCOT and take the Monorail to the Polynesian Resort, and dinner at Ohana!
Monorail back to our car at EPCOT later!

Sunday check out of our room in Downtown Disney.
Drive to Poly for breakfast at the Kona Cafe, can you say Tonga Toast?
Then go to Fantasia Mini Golf, we love doing this!
Stop into Downtown Disney afternoon for some last minute shopping...
Then drive home to Miami by dinner!

I think this sounds like a lot of fun! We go to WDW a lot but miss the extra stuff because we are always at the parks. So I thought if I promise not to be whiney and fussy :shock: we can pop up to the world and not go to any parks! In reality, I suppose we could pay the difference and go to the parks, the upgrade would be around $160 per person I think. But then If I were to do that, I would talk myself out of It and say there is only a month to go for our tickets to be good again.

So, what do you think? Am I crazy, or do you like the idea? 8-) I am excited!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Re: Trip to WDW in July... but no parks

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 10:41 am

I really like your plans. I have never really had time to check out many of Disney's resorts since I am busy in the parks. I have always wanted to just check out the resorts and take it easy.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 15, 2013 12:49 pm

It would kill me to be that close to the parks and not be able to go in. But I don't get to go nearly as often as you do either. Since you go to the parks with some regularity, this trip sounds pretty nice. I think you will have fun ~ and be more relaxed when you come home than having zipped around for three days!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 10:50 pm

That actually sounds like a nice idea. Given how you can always go to the parks during the non peak times, it probably will be nice to just take in some of the resorts and appreciate some of the more under appreciated aspects of the property.

Just out of curiosity, when in July will this be.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sun 16, 2013 12:21 am

They actually promoted vacations like that a few years ago, if you want to do the spa weekend/lay around the pool, go out to dinner, etc. it is not a bad option.

Do they offer discounted tickets for blackout days? At DLR they used to be very cheap but now they are $84 (still cheaper than a single park ticket).

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Sun 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I got tired just reading it! have fun!! always wanted to do something like that!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Mon 17, 2013 9:32 am

We are for real doing this... I'm really excited! Sometimes the most fun can be had in other places, not just in one of the parks! Other things I have thought of doing is boating, or golfing. We do get a lot of discounts for being Florida resident annual passholders, so I suppose anything goes!

Any ideas of things to do that I haven't thought of? Or possibly any suggestions of places to see the MK fireworks for the best location or fun? I'm open to anything!

Stay tuned......... 8-)
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jun Mon 17, 2013 11:16 am

Water park? My girls and I had a BLAST at Typhoon Lagoon in 2008. Sometimes, after all the cost of a "regular" Disney vacation it's hard to justify the additional $50 each expense of going to a water park; however, this might be the perfect time to go.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Mon 17, 2013 12:12 pm

exploring Fort Wilderness is something I have always wanted to do. With the hay rides, petting zoo and stables, there seems to be a lot you can do! Also have you ever taken the DVC tour? We do it every now and then. Id you do it they sometimes give you giftcards just for doing it. You always get some free snacks, ice cream, and a pic at the end!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Mon 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Great idea! Typhoon is a great one and the Fort Wilderness touring and DVC idea is cool too, thanks!

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jul Fri 05, 2013 7:58 am

Driving up to the World today! Yay! :goofy_bounce:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 05, 2013 9:07 am

cousininmiami wrote:Driving up to the World today! Yay! :goofy_bounce:
Enjoy your no-parks trip! You'll have to let us know what you think of it ~ I can't imagine being there and not going to the parks, but what you have planned sounds pretty neat :D
Safe travels!

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jul Sat 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello from WDW! So our "no parks weekend" has been wonderful and amazing! We have had the best time so far! Just got back to the hotel after dinner this evening at Ohana, ending with the most amazing fireworks from the Poly beach! Two lounge chairs + beautiful night sky + 4th of July Fireworks spectacular over the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake = an unforgettable evening! I will download a bunch of pictures in a couple days, seriously we have not missed the parks one time! Nighty night from WDW...
:mickey: :mickey:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 07, 2013 9:45 am

cousininmiami wrote:Hello from WDW! So our "no parks weekend" has been wonderful and amazing! We have had the best time so far! Just got back to the hotel after dinner this evening at Ohana, ending with the most amazing fireworks from the Poly beach! Two lounge chairs + beautiful night sky + 4th of July Fireworks spectacular over the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake = an unforgettable evening! I will download a bunch of pictures in a couple days, seriously we have not missed the parks one time! Nighty night from WDW...
:mickey: :mickey:
Glad you are enjoying yourselves ~ I didn't even think about the fact that you are there over the 4th of July holiday. Maybe playing around outside of the parks was your best idea after all. Plus you got to see the holiday fireworks! Enjoy the rest of your stay :D

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jul Tue 09, 2013 1:31 pm

We had a GREAT time and would definitely do this again! For many years we have purchased the Florida Resident "Seasonal" Annual passes, they are much cheaper and who wants to go during the busiest times anyway? But I have always been let's just say, whiney :shock: during the 10 weeks of no Disney in the summer. So henceforth... the no parks weekend trip! I can now report, it was a success and not one time did we miss going to the parks!

Got to Downtown Disney to check into Buena Vista Palace around 4pm Friday... great room, view was all of Disney! We could see the tall landmarks from all 4 parks and a bunch of resorts, really cool!

First stop... shopping at Downtown Disney. Fun, fun, and more fun!

Then off for dinner at Chef Mickeys. Ok... how to have the most fun.... park at the Polynesian and take the Monorail all around until we got to the Contemporary! Dinner was awesome as usual... then back on the Monorail and change at the TTC for a little run through EPCOT! Neat-o!!! OK, now I was really happy!!! :D

Back to our room just in time to see Illuminations at 9pm from our balcony and the 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular at 10pm. This was really cool, after the fireworks the room was 2 feet away.... hummmmm this is very convenient!

Ok so Friday was really awesome... now it's Saturday. This time we went to the outlets. Well, really just to go to the Disney outlet. Bought a bunch of stuff :-) Yay! Then drove to the Animal Kingdom Lodge to walk around take some pics, see some animals at Kidani Village and just relax!

Now for the really real fun...... Saturday night Dinner at Ohana! This is always by far our favorite restaurant. Delicious food, and great atmosphere!
Ohana Bread Pudding anyone???

Then off for another Monorail ride after dinner and back to the Poly Beach for some more relaxation and to get ready for the Fireworks! We found two lounge chairs and made ourselves comfy on the Poly Beach, got a glass of wine and relaxed. First came the Electrical Water Parade... very cool nice view! Then at 10pm was the 4th of July Fireworks show,,, holy toledo is all I can say, it was unbelievable! I don't think I will ever want to sit on the hot pavement with 100,000 of my closest friends in MK ever again, this has ruined me! Music piped in, great view, comfortable seat... wow!

Sunday morning we went to Winter/Summerland for some Mini Golf after checking out! We have never been to this one before, always had gone to Fantasia Gardens... but this was really nice! All Christmas-y in July, fun!

Then on last stop at Downtown Disney for lunch at Earl of Sandwich, and some last minute candy at the Goofy Candy Co. for the family back home! On the road back to Miami by 5pm. I am a happy Disney girl, got my Disney fix and didn't spend a fortune doing it! Trip = Success!