"Four free nights at a Monorail Resort? Yes, please!" TR

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

"Four free nights at a Monorail Resort? Yes, please!" TR

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Tue 04, 2013 9:32 am

I am diligently working on my TR from my sort of unexpected, work trip to WDW. I have it all written and if photobucket would actually cooperate for a few minutes I can knock this out.
Soon enough!
:)

wewantsdaredhead

Re: "Four free nights at a Monorail Resort? Yes, please!" TR

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Tue 04, 2013 12:31 pm

I know not everyone reads these and even fewer read all the details but they just check out the pics. I mostly do them as a way for me to re-live the trip :) and also a way to remember details down the road. The fact that a few of you actually read it and ask questions is just icing on the cake! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
So…
This trip came about relatively quickly…In February when I was at a work meeting in Vegas it was announced that one of our vendors was taking us to WDW in May. At that point I wasn’t even sure if I would be allowed to go or where it was. Details trickled in—it was going to be held at the Grand Floridian! And spouses were invited!!!! I still didn’t know if I was going, but I was hopeful.
The last day for registration was upon us and my boss called me and my counterpart into his office. He wanted us to split the week up—for political reasons, he couldn’t have all three of us out of the office for the whole week. (The trip was arrive late Monday and leave anytime Friday, essentially killing that whole week.) So, he asked that we kick it around and talk and decide who would go which half of the week…
We got back to our offices and we both agreed that instead of this split week nonsense, one of us should go the whole week. Well, it’s no secret that I am a WDW Freak here at work (I am the one they come see for the ominous question: We are thinking about going to WDW and they told us to see you—what do I do? What???? What a question, right?) but the trip also involved lots of free golf at nice places in the Orlando area and my counterpart is a HUGE golf person. He loves it and he’s good at it. So…what to do, what to do.
He said that his wife could not get off of work and he would rather not spend a week at WDW with the boss-man anyway—I should go. I made him promise that there would be no hard feelings and after I got the ‘warm and fuzzies’ from him---I called my wife. “Honey, we are going to WDW!!!!” (again :) )
OK, so it’s never as easy as it sounds, right? So here were the wrinkles: My wife and I were already scheduled off that Monday because we were going to run the Pittsburgh half marathon the prior Sunday. Hmmmmm. We were driving up with one of my sons, and then driving back on Monday. I didn’t want to drive after the race and we didn’t want to drive all day Monday then get on a plane that night---it was too much. So we hatched a plan: We drove up like normal, they dropped me off at the Pittsburgh airport on Monday after the race—then they drove home and my wife flew down on Tuesday AM.
So what did that do for me? Well, after checking flights, I realized I could be landing at around 9:15 with a non-stop out of the Burgh. The reception dinner wasn’t until 6 that night. Yes I had a free day at WDW all to myself—no kids no wife no nothing except me and whatever I wanted to see. :) Yayyyyy!
The other wrinkle was that my boss said he wouldn’t pay for my wife’s airfare, only mine—no problem. It was about $250—so the way I see it, $250 for a 4 night stay at the GF was well worth it, right? More on that later ;)
Our most gracious hosts sent out an email that explained the daily activities options. Tuesday and Wednesday we had meetings until noon and then we could choose from a variety of activities. Golf, fishing, park hopping, etc. Of course, we chose the park every day :) Thursday was a free day—all day.
So we were all booked---just the tedious waiting game was all that remained between us and our first (and probably only) monorail WDW hotel stay. I tried to keep my eye on the 13.1 miles I had to run the day before, but I will be honest, it was hard. I kept trying to plan aspects of the week, while still running for training.
Finally the day came—we ran the race with no problems—we had a great, great time up in Pittsburgh.

We are from Pittsburgh, so we got to see old friends and some family. It was nice and I am glad we did it. My wife dropped me off at Pittsburgh International at 5:30 with a 7:00am departure and she headed for her 7 hour drive home with my son. (I certainly got the better end of this deal, didn’t I?)
I tracked them the whole way on “Find my iPhone” and they were making good time. We took off a little late and landed about 5 mins late. No problems there---nice easy flight. I got to the DME and the CM asked me, “Where is your wife?” Huh? “Ahh she’s coming tomorrow, is that a problem?” I know I entered the dates correctly because we were essentially flying on two different itineraries. “No, it’s OK, I just see in here that she was scheduled with you.” Hmmmmm this concerned me, but I was too excited to be back (after 4 months) to let it bother me. My wife was a big girl and she could handle getting her way to WDW the next day.
I arrived at GF (last stop of three—figures) and as I exited the bus a swarm of CMs with iPad type devices were waiting for us. One of them came up to me and said, “Welcome, Henry.” It caught me off guard and I said, “Ahh yeah?” How did she know it was me? Lucky guess? Regardless, she took me to the front desk where I was checked in promptly and efficiently by Pennie. It was about 10:30 at this point and I was very surprised when she told me my room was ready.
I strolled through the impressive lobby and then out onto the grounds. I sent a few pics to my wife to show her what she was in for. They were still making great time. I dumped my laptop bag, did a quick scan of the room and hit the road for DHS! We had a great view of… the laundry bins.
They stored the linen bins just to the left of that last shot…
After consulting with my bro (and good friend) NaCler, about some suggestions for this free day, I agreed with him that I should split time between DHS and Epcot. He also suggested MK since it was so close (one stop away!!!) but I promised my wife that we would go see the new Fantasyland together for the first time.
I arrived at DHS a little after 11 and I was hungry! I had nothing except an Egg McMuffin at 6am. So I decided to hit Star Tours and then eat at the Backlot Express, mainly because I hadn’t done that in so long. Somehow we have a family tradition of eating at the ABC Commissary (of all the things, huh?) so I tried to zig instead of zag on this free day :)
Well, that didn’t work out…Backlot Express doesn’t open until 11:30, so ABC it was..lol. I am a notoriously fast eater, so I scarfed down a burger and fries and, yes, a beer and got back into the park. Part of my plan was to do ToT at night based on info from my consigliere, so I avoided that side of the park for now. I walked through the Streets of America looking in all the windows and took a few pics. I had no schedule and no true “Must-do’s.” The only thing I had on the agenda was to be back for a Reception Dinner at 6 at the GF Marina. I was having a blast doing nothing really.
Know where this one is?

An aside on the ABC Commissary: We just love this place for some reason. If you go between 11 and 11:45 the place is all yours! No wait for food and always plenty of spaces to sit. It’s nice and cool in there and the bathrooms are always clean and empty. Just my $0.02 :)
I went ‘into the movies’ at TGMR, then I just milled around a little, looked in a few shops and then I heard something…yes, it was Epcot calling my name, so I hopped on the water taxi/shuttle.
I walked into the International Gateway around 1pm and I grabbed a beer in England. I walked in the shops there and decided to head to the front of the park. But then something amazing caught my ear…
The Flower and Garden festival was going on and I am no Flower and Garden type person, but I admire the topiaries and the extra food stands that they have out, a la Food and Wine Festival. So, while walking towards the bridge between WS and FW, I heard someone say, “Oh that’s where you can get Dole Whip with rum in it.” Rrrrrrrrrr. Dead stop, excuse me?? I looked at the menu board they have out in front of it and sure enough there it was: Dole Whip with spiced rum. Wow! Legal RSDW??? Yes, please:

After I had that beauty in hand, I sat by the fountain and just people-watched. It was heaven. I texted back and forth with NaCler a little bit, and then I went on SSE, but not before a quick visit to Club Cool to aggravate my son ;) he loves that place. A few Beverlys in my belly to help the digestion process and I was ready for the rest of my day.
Captain EO was also on the docket. I had a screaming kid incident in CE. He kept yelling, “Be nice!” He was obviously scared out of his mind, but Dad just kept on telling him to hush. I wanted to turn around and see how old this kid was, but it wasn’t for me to judge. It was a little aggravating, but all kids scream at some point…besides I was too worried about the drama unfolding in the Cosmos on the big screen.
I had promised Amy that I would have “beer for her” so what better place than Germany!? So I marched back there and did my duty for Amy. I didn’t even really want a beer at that point ---hahahah… you didn’t actually believe that did you? :)

I went and watched Reflections of China and then I decided to head back take a quick nap, shower and get ready for the dinner. I knew the dinner would be just heavy appetizers and drinks, so my plan was to have a few cold ones, shake some hands and then run to the room, change and head back to Epcot. On the way out I noticed that Soarin` FPs were for 6:45 and 7:45...I knew I could get back there by 7:45 with my flawless plan working like a well-oiled machine. So I grabbed a FP and then hopped on the monorail.
They were setting up the reception dinner tables already and guess what? It was RIGHT in from of my room. No kidding, I could have practically sat on my patio (I had a ground floor room) and been a part of the party. OK so this wasn’t going to be easy. I had only one choice—I was going to have to hit the parks in my business casual attire. I decided to sneak out when I had a chance and vanish into the background. Well, it wasn’t as easy as I had liked.
A view from the Marina where we had dinner:

I got there right at 6 (so I could leave quicker) but you know how it is…6 means 6:15 to everyone else and by the time my host got there it was almost 6:30. Ugh! They were messing up my plan! I kept looking at my phone---I was going to miss my FP if I left much later.
I didn’t leave until about 7:40 :( I missed my FP window. But anyway, it was good to catch up with some of the other people I deal with on the phone, but don’t get to see ever.
I got off the monorail and decided to set up shop somewhere with a beer for Illuminations. I took the long way around WS starting at Mexico. I saw on the agenda that we were going to be watching Illuminations with the group from a private viewing area in France, with a dessert bar, so my goal was to be over there when the show started. I looked in the shops for souvenirs for my sons—mainly in Germany and Italy based on some ideas they gave me.
One of the many, many topiaries:

It was about 8:50 so I fueled up with one last cold one and headed to the bridge between France and England. I saw where the private area was going to be, plus I could bee-line it to DHS via the IG once Illuminations was over. Which is exactly what I did.
I walked over to DHS at a brisk pace and I was there in no time. I decided to ride ST one more time and then head to ToT. While on ST, I got seated at the end of the row right next to some young girl, maybe 10-11 years old? And she looked at me and smiled, so for fun I asked her, “Is this scary?” and she immediately assured me that it was not very scary at all, “it just moves a lot.” She was cute as a button. Her mom, on the other side of her, asked what I had said and when she explained it, her brother said, “but it IS scary!” So jokingly, I cut my eyes at her and pretended scared and said, “So is it scary or not?!” She reassured me that it wasn’t and that her brother likes to mess with people. It was pretty funny. After it was over, I told her she was right, it wasn’t scary and she gave me a big smile. It made me miss my boys—they love ST, both new and old versions.
Off to ToT…10 min wait and I was on. NaCler was right—it’s worth doing this at night. If you never have—put it on your list. :) I enjoyed the ambiance of DHS at night and then called my wife. They were home safely and she was in bed exhausted, but ready to come see me (yeah right—she was excited about the GF :) )

After one last cold beer at the Tune In Lounge, I headed back to GF. (Third stop of three…again)
I was out cold in no time—it was a long but satisfying day. It’s nice when you get to go so often that you don’t feel pressured to do everything and see everything and you can slow down and smell the roses (from the Flower and Garden show, of course ;) ). I am very lucky that I have a great wife that allows me to come back again and again.
Next post: My wife arrives! Meetings until Noon, then Epcot with the group.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 04, 2013 7:20 pm

That is great that your co-worker agreed you should be the one to go! I would have fought you for it ;)

Good plan on flying out from Pittsburgh ~ you have a pretty nice wife to do that for you...although she was getting a pretty good deal as well to get to stay at the fancy, schmancy Grand Floridian! That is pretty neat that they knew who you were when you arrived. I wonder if all the guests are treated to that same consideration, or if it was special because you were part of a group? I do believe there is more to come on the story of Mrs. H not being on the same Magical Express as you though...

We ate at the ABC Commissary a long time ago, before they changed menus. Now we can't really eat there because F1gment is allergic to seafood and there isn't anything I would eat there either except for maybe the kids chicken nuggets meal...and there are better choices elsewhere for us in DHS ~ Backlot Express being one of them, and Fairfax Faire the other ~ they have some delicious BBQ sandwiches there! I had to laugh when you mentioned that you did have a beer with lunch ~ I had already added that to your tray in my mind :lol:

I do not know where you took that picture with the directory...I will be curious to hear where it was.

Mmmm, thanks for having my beer in Germany. It looks like it was delicious! Glad to see you found the RSDW and enjoyed it.

You didn't mention if you had anything from the dessert bar in your Illuminations gathering. I'm curious what was included and whether it was any good.

Bet you made that little girl's trip just a bit more fun siding with her over her brother on how scary Star Tours was ;)

I've been on ToT in the evening and it really is fun. Everything is so much more magical when it is lit up at night :D

Looking forward to what happens on the next day!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jun Tue 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Very nice WWDRH! I've been wondering when we would hear about this trip, you know how Amy gets antsy. ;) (Love ya sis!)

It's really cool to see the details of this trip unfold as I think I was almost as excited about this trip as you were.

I love your first day as it's really close to the way I would have done it. But like Amy, I'm also interested in what you thought about the Illuminations party.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Wed 05, 2013 7:00 am

Amy wrote: That is great that your co-worker agreed you should be the one to go! I would have fought you for it ;)
I would let you win, Amy. You don’t get to go near as much as you deserve!
Amy wrote: I do not know where you took that picture with the directory...I will be curious to hear where it was.
It was in the Streets of America in the “Chicago” area. I walked in and around all the facades and looked in the windows. People probably thought I was nuts as I stood in front of the Drug Store for 15 mins looking at the entire display. :)
Amy wrote: Mmmm, thanks for having my beer in Germany. It looks like it was delicious! Glad to see you found the RSDW and enjoyed it.
No problem---its one of the tasks I can handle with ease!! ;) I look forward to the day we all have one together.
Amy wrote: You didn't mention if you had anything from the dessert bar in your Illuminations gathering. I'm curious what was included and whether it was any good.
OK so apparently my writing skills need to be improved. Sorry about that---the party was actually the next day. I went over there to Scout out what I was getting into. More on the actual party in my next post—sorry for the confusion!
Amy wrote: Bet you made that little girl's trip just a bit more fun siding with her over her brother on how scary Star Tours was ;)
I hope so. That was my goal. She made my night with that big smile of hers.

NaCler: Stay tuned Bro—more to come!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 05, 2013 7:29 am

NaCler wrote:Very nice WWDRH! I've been wondering when we would hear about this trip, you know how Amy gets antsy. ;) (Love ya sis!)....
Oh har de har har :roll:
;) :lol:
and yes, I am aware I haven't finished my report. I thought about that the other day...didn't do anything about it mind you, but I thought about it!
wewantsdaredhead wrote:
Amy wrote: That is great that your co-worker agreed you should be the one to go! I would have fought you for it ;)
I would let you win, Amy. You don’t get to go near as much as you deserve!
Amy wrote: Mmmm, thanks for having my beer in Germany. It looks like it was delicious! Glad to see you found the RSDW and enjoyed it.
No problem---its one of the tasks I can handle with ease!! ;) I look forward to the day we all have one together.....
Awww, thanks! Me too :D Maybe I can talk my employer into taking a work trip...it's good to be the boss ;) although funding is the main concern when self-employed :(
Ahhh, dessert party to follow in a future trip report section ~ gotcha! Hooray! :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Wed 05, 2013 9:09 am

WWDRH this trip looks truly magical. I could handle morning meetings for some afternoon magic! I travel for work quite a bit, to some really interesting places, but there is never any time for relaxing. In this I am friendly-jealous of you. :)

I thought for sure you had heard us all ranting and raving about the rum-spiked Dole Whips at F&G this year. Pretty sure that thread is still soggy with drool. Was it really good? I hope they sold a lot of them so they'll consider having it be a permanent part of the park somewhere. Nom nommy!

I think we all can have that beer together in Germany when we all go to WDW for the marathon weekend and finish the 5k together! Well, we won't finish together because Amy and I decidedly don't run, but you guys can finish your run and then wait for us to finish. :D Hubby says he's going to run both the 5k and the 10k. THAT will earn a beer or two for sure!

I've never set foot in the GF. It always seems stuffy and pretentious to me. Was it?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Wed 05, 2013 11:16 am

I am really enjoying your trip report (and pictures too)! As i have never stayed at the GF, it's always fun to hear about that! Can't wait for the next installment of "As the (Disney)world turns"!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 05, 2013 12:40 pm

cy1229 wrote:WWDRH this trip looks truly magical. I could handle morning meetings for some afternoon magic! I travel for work quite a bit, to some really interesting places, but there is never any time for relaxing. In this I am friendly-jealous of you. :)

I thought for sure you had heard us all ranting and raving about the rum-spiked Dole Whips at F&G this year. Pretty sure that thread is still soggy with drool. Was it really good? I hope they sold a lot of them so they'll consider having it be a permanent part of the park somewhere. Nom nommy!

I think we all can have that beer together in Germany when we all go to WDW for the marathon weekend and finish the 5k together! Well, we won't finish together because Amy and I decidedly don't run, but you guys can finish your run and then wait for us to finish. :D Hubby says he's going to run both the 5k and the 10k. THAT will earn a beer or two for sure!

I've never set foot in the GF. It always seems stuffy and pretentious to me. Was it?
Is your husband a runner cy1229? He could go ahead and sign up for the half if he's going to do both of those and get a fancier medal!
Yup, we can even taste test a few beers at Germany ~ you know, to make sure they aren't spoiled, or too warm, or something like that ;)
cousininmiami wrote:I am really enjoying your trip report (and pictures too)! As i have never stayed at the GF, it's always fun to hear about that! Can't wait for the next installment of "As the (Disney)world turns"!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Wed 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Very cool. I personally have never really just taken a day to sit back and enjoy the parks with few attractions. It seems like I am always running around trying to see it all at once. As for a trip to GF only costing $250... that I am extremely jealous about. I'd even be happy with a room overlooking the laundry baskets.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jun Thu 06, 2013 11:53 am

Nothing beats a free work trip to WDW, except for the work part. I had a conference at the Yacht Club a few years ago and the daytime was torture being that close to the fun. At night, however, I ditched the colleagues and played. Great TR.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Thu 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Cy: It really wasn't stuffy at all. I dont get it--I think we looked and our room, at that time of year, was around $550 a night. Yikes! For that $ I would WANT stuffy and pretentious, but it was neither. When you have a half a day to kill (arrival or departure days work best IMHO) go to the GF and wander around the lobby and all the shops on the 2nd floor (its like a mall!) and then the grounds. Its very nice and peaceful.
I must have missed that part about the RSDW at F&W---good thing I am going to F&W this year--i can get some more! ...legally of course ;)
I look forward to those beers with all of you. Yes, you hubby will earn several. And since I am doing Dopey this year--I will earn a few myself. I cant wait!

Cousin: I would have it up sooner if I could ever get photobucket to cooperate---but soon, I promise.

Len: I hate we couldn't meet--one of these days it will happen I am sure!

horizons: Plenty more--stay tuned!

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Thu 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Love the photo's :D :goofy:

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Thu 06, 2013 6:14 pm

great report so far! I hope oen day I can take a few day solo trip! I know this isn't a complete solo trip, but even a day would be awesome!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Thu 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Tuesday May 7, 2013
My boss was due to arrive today (he couldn’t come earlier because of some work obligations boo-hoo huh? ;) ) and after some quick conversations, we realized that he, his wife and my wife were all on the same flight. My boss said he was going to rent a car and that he would be glad to bring my wife over to the GF. Sweet—that would probably save her about an hour! They were due to land around 11am, so I told her that I would just meet her over at Epcot.
The flowers were so awesome:
Well, she texted me right before taking off that they weren’t renting a car, they were doing DME..?? He is always mixed up like that. Not only that, but they didn’t do the luggage thingy—they had to go grab their luggage, so she high-tailed it over and got right on the bus (with no problems thankfully). If you have ever used DME, you know how it is, sometimes you sit there awhile, and as they were sitting there my boss arrived luggage in hand. My wife just smiled knowing that her luggage would be waiting for her at the GF.
I struggled through four hours of meetings (ha!) and then changed and headed to Epcot via monorail. We texted back and forth as she waited to get over to GF. Then they announced that the bus was going to Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary and then GF (in that order) so my wife being the savvy WDW person that I have made her, decided to get off at the first hotel with a monorail instead of waiting until the end of the ride to GF. Remember in my last post about how they knew who I was when I got off the bus? Well, when she got off at the Contemporary, they said, “You must be Sally?” uh, no. “Oh sorry, Jane?” Ha! So they must just take lucky guesses based on gender and people in your party, I guess. She explained her situation and they told her 4th floor! She was off!
I took this on my way over:
I was somewhere in WS when she texted me that she was on the 2nd monorail (the one from TTC to Epcot) so I moseyed up front to meet her. I exited the park, but not the bag check area and waited for her and generally just did some people-watching.
She took this on her way to meet me—can you see me? I was down there waiting on her, but I was just outside of this pic… We did see each other and waved—it was pretty cool.
She was there shortly and we hugged and she declared: I am hungry and ready for a beer! (You see why we are such a great couple?)
We marched to Germany, but 1st a quick stop at Club Cool to annoy our kids yet again (he-he).
Full of Mezzo-Mix, we headed to get a beer and a brat. Extra kraut for Amy:
My wife was looking at her FB and saw that a woman she went to High School with (and hasn’t seen since about 10th grade) posted a picture from Epcot that said, “Enjoying time with Mom at WDW.” Or something to that effect. She looked at me and said, “You won’t believe this…” She put on the picture that we were in Epcot also and gave her friend her cell # and said to text her. Well about 20 mins go by, we had just finished our beer and brat when her friend finally saw the message—they were in “America”!
We headed that way and they came to us and much screaming commenced :) More Disney magic!!! They caught up for about 30 mins and took a few pics. It was the craziest thing!
Then we saw this Guy and it reminded us what we are going to be doing in January…I hate that guy lol
We had to be back to the room to shower and change to catch a bus (back to Epcot) by 6:30. It was about 3:30 now so we went into Mexico for a margarita. I opted not for a JM like normal, but went with the San Angel and my wife had the Pineapple margarita. I’m telling you, I don’t think they make a bad one in there—man, are they ever good.
We decided to go to England and see what we could get into over there. We were low on alcohol at this point and it was getting HOT, so we went into the Rose and Crown pub for a cold one. A bartender named Carl served us and boy was he ever awesome. I had a nice cold Boddington’s and he showed us bar tricks and told jokes and showed us pictures of when he started at Epcot 26 years ago! He did admit that there was a time that he left for a spell, but came right back and has been working there continuously for 12 years now. It was great and I recommend it to anyone. Look for Carl.
Some of the topiaries in England:
It was getting close to our dinner appointment and it was around here that my wife all of a sudden hurt her foot. She said it felt like a tendon or something and it was giving her lots of discomfort. Now just a reminder that we had run 13.1 miles only two days prior, so I hope that it was just residual effects and not anything serious. She wanted to go back and relax for a bit before we had to leave. I was unsure if she was going to be able to make it.
We showered and changed and she hoped that wearing heels that evening would help because of where the pain was. It did…whew! (Even later in the week when she wore anything flat it still caused her pain, but it lessened as the week went on.)
The plan for dinner was: To bus us over to The Living Seas for dinner in a private area, and then they were going to march us to our private viewing area for Illuminations. It was pretty cool to see all the backstage areas—I never get to see those areas—I am too cheap to pay for a tour :)
The back of The American Adventure:
I was so excited that I even took a picture of the private back-area bathroom that we got to use. LOL
Can you believe that seafood wasn’t even on the menu? How weird is that? I guess it’s just a cool place to have dinner—we were right next to the aquarium:
Finally about 8:15 they marched us with one of those light saber things all the way back and around into WS and to France…and past France, and…what the…? I thought we were supposed to be in France? Nope they had changed it to Italy at the last minute and didn’t update us. I sure am glad I didn’t decide to sneak out of dinner and wander around the WS!
Regardless of where we were, the view was awesome and the beer and wine and dessert buffet was awesome and I think they may have spoiled Illuminations for me!!
The view from our private area:
They had this HUGE spread of desserts. Tiny eclairs and cannoli and all sorts of stuff! I had about five eclairs—they were so tiny. Dinner was meh, but this was awesome!
I was hoping that after it was over we didn’t have to walk all the way back to The Living Seas. Nope—they moved the bus to behind AA. It was so nice—no crowds, but we weren’t allowed to take our drinks on the bus. Lots of people had to chug them. Not me, though ;)
We got back to the room and went to bed! Another long day, but it was a great one. I am so lucky that I got to go on this trip.
A shot of Illuminations with Wishes in the background. I thought that was cool…
Tomorrow: Another arduous half day of meetings and MK in the afternoon.

***I am at wits end with photobucket. I any of these are too large, please let me know and I will delete them. It's making me nuts!