Yodiwan1's first family trip 2014!!!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Yodiwan1's first family trip 2014!!!

Post by yodiwan1 » May Wed 29, 2013 11:06 am

So no matter what, my DW and I are taking are little princess to wdw for the first time for at least 4 days in February 2014. We were just told by my in laws that they may want to come too! Which would be amazing! I am a WDW pro, but have never had to plan a trip with children. She will be 16 months when we go. If my in laws and sister-on-law comes we are looking for a 2 bedroom villa. Has anyone here used one before? Recommendations?? If we go just us, then we are looking for something maybe close to MK, but those may be out of our budget. Recommendations for a hotel good for infants/toddlers?
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Yodiwan1's first family trip 2014!!!

Post by cy1229 » May Wed 29, 2013 11:14 am

I have NO experience taking anyone younger than 3 to WDW so I'll let others advise you there. Ellie was 3 when we went, and potty-trained, so the worst we had to deal with was renting a double stroller (Meghan was 7).

With regard to the condos, they're GREAT. I suggest Saratoga or OKW. BLT is a GREAT GREAT GREAT location but the 2-BR condos, while they say they sleep 9 people, are quite cramped. The master bedroom has a king bed. The second bedroom has two queens. The living room has a wider-than-twin-but-not-quite-full-sized sleeper chair and a full-sized sleeper sofa that, when opened, prohibits moving around the living room at all. The banquette area seats 5 comfortably, 6 crampedly. NO IDEA where 3 other people would sit.

I haven't personally stayed at OKW but for space and quietness it looks most appealing to me. Especially if you're coming back in the afternoon for naptime.

We had a grand villa at Saratoga in 2010. HUGE. I cannot begin to describe all the space we had. There were 10 of us staying, and we had MORE than enough space. Granted, it's 3 BR, but we had 3 families. Anyway, I imagine the 2 BR villas are similarly large. The major drawback was the remote location and lack of true Disney theming at this resort. It was nice enough, just not ultra-DISNEY. We were there in January, so it was super-quiet.

BIGYowski knows all about renting DVC points, which is what I would suggest.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Wed 29, 2013 11:39 am

First of all ~ congratulations on having a return trip in the works! I don't have any rooming advice other than to agree with cy1229 about possibly renting DVC points. It sounds like you can get a bigger room for a cheaper price which will be nice if you travel with your in-laws.
Definitely take lots of photos ;) and remember there are the baby care centers where you can change diapers or rest and relax for a bit if necessary without having to travel back to your hotel room.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » May Wed 29, 2013 12:29 pm

well we re only 5-6 adults depending on if my sister in law comes, so BLT actually would work. I read a lot of bad reviews though about the CM there and the upkeep. As far as the price. One of my old high school friends I found out works at the yachtsman steakhouse. She got us a great deal on the room I am staying in Sept, so she is going to see what she can do in Feb. If she cant do anything, then maybe we will rent, but its a slow time anyhow. can't wait!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Wed 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Awesome awesome awesome!

I am hoping a trip like this can happen for my family next year as well...but it will all depend on the in-laws and some other family members.

I would suggest going with OKW if I were you...and getting a 2BR Villa. The reason is that those are the largest in terms of square footage and the location of the resort is close to Epcot, DHS, and DTD. I would probably go for the "lock-off" 2BR...as it is a 1BR + Studio with a door connecting the two. That way your in-laws could have their own space...and you/DW/baby could have your space...and you'd all have access to the full kitchen and living room. Also...the studio portion would have a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker...so your in-laws would have that available just for them as well if they wanted.

You may want to check now to see what is available in terms of renting...as OKW owners can book stays in February 2014 now. You never know...you may be able to get a good rate of $10-$11 per point this far out. If your CM friend can beat that price...then I'd go that route. I have stayed in BLT...and while it is amazing in terms of location to MK...it's not all that great for any of the other parks or DTD. Sure you have the Monorail...but to get to Epcot you'd have to walk to the Contemporary...board the Monorail...get off at the TTC...boar the Epcot Monorail...then arrive at Epcot. It may actually be faster catching a bus from OKW or SSR that goes straight to Epcot. I would say that if your DD was going to be 3-4 years old then being within walking distance to MK would outweigh anything else...but at 16 months it won't be a factor. I'd go with the bigger rooms at OKW...which I believe were renovated a few years ago to have hardwoods.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » May Wed 29, 2013 2:34 pm

I guess I should also mention that I plan on driving to all the parks, and one of the main reasons why BLT..or by that point maybe even the villas at the Grand FLoridian..is because of naps. I figured between the monorail being connected to two parks, that would eb the easiest to get back to for naps.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Wed 29, 2013 5:40 pm

yeah...it was amazing being able to walk from MK back to my room at BLT

the only thing I could compare it to was how easy it is to get to TTC from the Poly

I guess it's probably like staying at YC and BC and walking to Epcot

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Wed 29, 2013 8:47 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:I guess I should also mention that I plan on driving to all the parks, and one of the main reasons why BLT..or by that point maybe even the villas at the Grand FLoridian..is because of naps. I figured between the monorail being connected to two parks, that would eb the easiest to get back to for naps.
BLT would definitely be a major plus for naptime. However, I think it's at least 25% more points to stay at BLT and it's probably at least 1/3 smaller than other condos. By the time you're at WDW and she's 16 mos old, you might be able to get away with folding the stroller down and having her pass out for awhile.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Thu 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Tomorrow is the day we figure out if we stay on grounds or not! Fingers crossed. Have a 2:30 conference call to check out prices!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 06, 2013 8:18 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:Tomorrow is the day we figure out if we stay on grounds or not! Fingers crossed. Have a 2:30 conference call to check out prices!
Good luck ~ hopefully you can find a good deal that works for everyone! Did you get a pin for free dining?

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Fri 07, 2013 3:05 pm

No Free Dining, I don't think you can use a pin code anyhow with cast member discounts. Turns put CM discounts aren't out yet, so we did not make the reservations yet. It looks like we may be at AKL though, it was actually cheaper for a non Savannah view than a standard view at port Orleans for two rooms!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 07, 2013 7:37 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:No Free Dining, I don't think you can use a pin code anyhow with cast member discounts. Turns put CM discounts aren't out yet, so we did not make the reservations yet. It looks like we may be at AKL though, it was actually cheaper for a non Savannah view than a standard view at port Orleans for two rooms!
I bet Marissa would love seeing the animals outside the hotel room!

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Sun 09, 2013 1:56 pm

in a turn of events, my mother in law has come to a decision! Old Key West two bedroom villa!!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 09, 2013 3:12 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:in a turn of events, my mother in law has come to a decision! Old Key West two bedroom villa!!!!
My goodness ~ you guys have considered almost all the accommodations now haven't you? :lol: That is great that you know where you are staying, now you can get down to dining ressies and other plans :D

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Sun 09, 2013 4:27 pm

well we cant make reservations yet. need to be 6 months out. lol
plus I want to also wait and see what the magic hours will be so I can plan which days in each parks. not getting hoppers. and honestly, no idea how our daughter's habits will be at that time, big difference between a 7 month old and 14 month old! lol