Beach Club or AKL Lodge?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Beach Club or AKL Lodge?

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 25, 2013 11:14 am

As long as Epcot is still open you also have the option of using the monorails and walking to get to and from MK. Likewise, as buses sometimes are slow to arrive for AK from the hotels, you can make use of the bus to DHS and then walk/take the boat back to your hotel.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:As long as Epcot is still open you also have the option of using the monorails and walking to get to and from MK. Likewise, as buses sometimes are slow to arrive for AK from the hotels, you can make use of the bus to DHS and then walk/take the boat back to your hotel.
Walking to EPCOT and then monorail to MK is one of the worst ideas for getting to MK. It is about a 30 minute walk from the International gateway to the front of the park. Then you have to take 2 monorails to the park. In addition to that not everyone takes the park hopper option for their tickets.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 25, 2013 1:06 pm

How slow do you walk? I can cross the park in about 10 mins.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:How slow do you walk? I can cross the park in about 10 mins.
I was at YC and it is 5 minutes to the park and then a few minutes through the scanners and bag cheeks. 5 minutes through the UK and Canada. Then another 5-10 through future world to the gate. Okay maybe not 30 if you don't stop but definitely more than 10. Twenty minutes of walking that you don't need to do on top of all the other walking you do in te parks. To do it in 10 minutes you had to be jogging or power walking.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 25, 2013 3:04 pm

5 mins from the gate to future world and 5 mins from future world to the exit sure seems like 10 mins to me, like I said, cross the park in 10 mins using a normal walking pace. Now if you have slow people or children, it will take longer to do it. Coming back from MK, I can beat the bus back since it has to take a less direct route.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:5 mins from the gate to future world and 5 mins from future world to the exit sure seems like 10 mins to me, like I said, cross the park in 10 mins using a normal walking pace. Now if you have slow people or children, it will take longer to do it. Coming back from MK, I can beat the bus back since it has to take a less direct route.
Also you have to account that the monorail departs from EPCOT to TTC now every 10 minutes. We'll agree to a 15-20 minute walk followed by up to 10 minute wait for the monorail, monorail ride, transfer, and another monorail ride that usually results in holding due to traffic at the MK station. I'll just take the bus. Bus is about a 15 minute ride and at most you should wait 20 minutes for one.
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 25, 2013 4:53 pm

So basically, it is not the "worst idea" as previously stated since the worst case scenario still pans out, plus you also spend less time standing around waiting.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:So basically, it is not the "worst idea" as previously stated since the worst case scenario still pans out, plus you also spend less time standing around waiting.
For getting to MK from those resorts it is one of the worst ideas because it does take more time and will wear you out. It's almost like saying take the friendship to DHS and then hop te bus to TTC and then monorail to MK. The only thing that would accomplish is allowing you to ride every form of transportation.

Now lets resume our topic at hand.
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 25, 2013 9:35 pm

If you get worn out after 10 minutes of walking... you've got bigger problems than "which resort" and should probably see a doctor. :D

The poster did want a realistic weighing of the two resorts and one of the perks of the the Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk is their walking distance proximity to a park and it's larger capacity transit over the glorified public transit that is the WDW bus system.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If you get worn out after 10 minutes of walking... you've got bigger problems than "which resort" and should probably see a doctor. :D

The poster did want a realistic weighing of the two resorts and one of the perks of the the Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk is their walking distance proximity to a park and it's larger capacity transit over the glorified public transit that is the WDW bus system.
The OP is not looking for us to do a back and forth on how long it should take to walk and what speed someone should walk at. As for the doctor comment, when I graduate from med school in four years I'll be my own first patient.

Now if you want to go over it any further, we can address it through PMs or send me an email.
- Len90

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » May Sun 26, 2013 10:41 am

Now now boys this is getting out of hand and really only applies if you have a park hopper option.
Also it does not matter anymore as the original poster had decided on Animal Kingdom. It is buses or cars from there.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Sun 26, 2013 10:59 am

Agreed Sleepy. Between this thread and the one about Expedition Everest it seems like half the posts I read this morning were Wizz and Len debating a point back and forth!

That said, I do think I have a way we can agree on the real point they are both making: unless you are at a MK resort the bus is almost always faster but it is nice to have options like the Monorail, even if it is not a direct route. In that regard Y&BC guests have a leisurely route and an express route to the MK. AKL guests only have the bus option.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 28, 2013 9:59 am

I find it interesting that no one has discussed theming / interior decor of the two resorts as a factor. Am I the only one on these boards for whom the decor is part of the mood-setter? It's not like I will completely avoid a place because I don't like the calico fabrics, but on the other hand it does have a place in determining how relaxed or comfortable I feel. I've only seen Disney's photos of the interiors of YC and BC and must say I don't like them that much. But, if I was taking the girls on a trip, BC/YC would definitely be a strong contender because of the pool and in spite of the interior colors.

Just wonder if anyone else would factor that in.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » May Tue 28, 2013 2:32 pm

cy1229 wrote:I find it interesting that no one has discussed theming / interior decor of the two resorts as a factor. Am I the only one on these boards for whom the decor is part of the mood-setter? It's not like I will completely avoid a place because I don't like the calico fabrics, but on the other hand it does have a place in determining how relaxed or comfortable I feel. I've only seen Disney's photos of the interiors of YC and BC and must say I don't like them that much. But, if I was taking the girls on a trip, BC/YC would definitely be a strong contender because of the pool and in spite of the interior colors.

I'm with you there, and that's probably the biggest reason we went with the AKL; the theming is more immersive that BC. It's the same kind of thing with Wilderness Lodge, which is where we stayed last time. Being from the northeast, the Beach Club doesn't seem that exotic anyway. We'll save the awesome pool for the next trip.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Brian845 wrote:
cy1229 wrote:I find it interesting that no one has discussed theming / interior decor of the two resorts as a factor. Am I the only one on these boards for whom the decor is part of the mood-setter? It's not like I will completely avoid a place because I don't like the calico fabrics, but on the other hand it does have a place in determining how relaxed or comfortable I feel. I've only seen Disney's photos of the interiors of YC and BC and must say I don't like them that much. But, if I was taking the girls on a trip, BC/YC would definitely be a strong contender because of the pool and in spite of the interior colors.

I'm with you there, and that's probably the biggest reason we went with the AKL; the theming is more immersive that BC. It's the same kind of thing with Wilderness Lodge, which is where we stayed last time. Being from the northeast, the Beach Club doesn't seem that exotic anyway. We'll save the awesome pool for the next trip.
I am aware of the decor, but it wouldn't influence me too much. The All Star resorts are pretty garish in their decor, but we don't spend much time in the room anyhow, so it doesn't factor in too much. And the over the top, over-sized decorations on the grounds are lots of fun to take pictures of! :D
Much more important to me is how clean the room is ~ we had some concerns on the last few trips. The rooms didn't seem as clean or well maintained as we remembered them being in the past. I'm thinking that is because the All Star resorts are starting to show their age, but it also seems like mousekeeping was cutting some corners :(