DLP Trip Report April 16, 2013

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

DLP Trip Report April 16, 2013

Post by horizons1 » Apr Sat 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Through a random set of circumstances I found myself with back-to-back work trips to Europe. As I reported last month (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8691) I was able to visit DLP during that earlier trip through France. This time, I planned a trip back to Paris with my wife after we wrapped up a tradeshow in Geneva. So, my wife being a Disney fan too, we added DLP to the end of our itinerary.

We only spent one day, a Tuesday, in the parks, but spent that night in the Santa Fe and caught the TGV to the airport the next morning. This allowed us to have a full day in the parks.

On the ticket front, DLP has extended their 20th anniversary 1-day, 2-park ticket through September. This allowed us to park hop for about $75 USD.

We took the RER A out from Paris around 9am on Tuesday morning, arriving at the Marne-La-Vallee station a little before 10. We walked out of the station and grabbed the shuttle bus to Hotel Santa Fe. I was worried that our room would not be ready which would've caused us to have to store our bags and interrupt our day to go back and check in, but luckily a room was available. Note, we did have to ask though, as the cast member wasn't going to give us one on her own.

Our room had a Cars theme. Not sure if they all do, as the original motif was just southwestern. Here are some pics. I suspect the decor and furnishings are the same or similar to the Animation Resort in Florida.

The room was exactly the same size and layout as the Cheyenne. One strange thing, though, was that the door was misaligned with the strike plate, making it impossible to lock from the inside. We ended up having to barricade ourselves inside with luggage when we went to bed.

After dumping our stuff in the room we headed over to the Studios. The only goals I had there were to ride Crush's Coaster and possibly get in a ride on their version of Rock N Roller Coaster. We went to the latter first and were amazed, despite being almost noon, that the wait was about 5 mins. Look at the empty queue! This was all PACKED last month.

Obviously, we picked a good time to go, as a Tuesday in mid-April, so far from Easter, left the parks not deserted but not crowded either. Still, there was over an hour wait for Crush so we decided to come back later in the day. On the way out, we stopped off for a quick bite to eat before the lunch rush. A decent American-style burger and tasty fries awaited me.

I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of crowds over at Disneyland too.

We came in and decided to take the train. I am not sure if it is the French or what, but they had the dumbest process for loading the trains. Everyone had to queue up and board through a single gate at the front or back of the train and then they slotted people into each car like we were boarding a roller coaster.

We only took the train as far as Frontierland, but I was surprised to go through the Grand Canyon diorama just like at DL in California. I didn't know they had this, but it fit in well on this side of the park.

First stop, BTMRR. It was closed for mechanical issues but came up when we were walking away so we ran back and got in line. Here's a tip: The queue splits into a left/right configuration and everyone automatically went to one side (like always). They went on the right and we walked past them on the left and almost up to the entrance, easily saving 5-10 minute wait. Also, even if the lines are equal, take the one on the left because the right side merges with FastPass.

Note in this shot how empty the "left" side of the queue is! Suckers!

Molly Brown, one of their two river boats, was next. It's nice, although a bit smaller than what I am used to. The ride narration was a mix of French and English. All the stuff to look at (aside from BTMRR) are on the right side, which is different from the American parks where you get to go back and forth to see all the animatronics along the shoreline.

We then headed over to Phantom Manor. What a great ride.

We headed over to Discoveryland, walking through the Plaza to see the Castle and the Dragon.

Their Space Mountain is not great. The shoulder restraints are pretty abusive on your head. We were going to skip it, but with a 5 minute wait, who could say "no"? Well, we should have. It beat us up as expected. Still, FIVE MINUTES in the middle of the day!!!

Here are a couple shots of the inside of Videopolis. It's so darn big!

Next, a delightful stroll through Fantasyland

And a short ride on their Storybook and a RIDICULOUSLY LONG wait for Casey Jr. One train running, the wait was insane and not worth it.

5 minute wait for Storybook

More on our afternoon and evening to come...
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: DLP Trip Report April 16, 2013

Post by Amy » Apr Sat 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Wow ~ I can't believe the difference in crowd levels between your two trips. That is great that it was a bit slower so your wife and you could enjoy your day together.
I'm loving all the photos ~ thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to more :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Apr Sat 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Amy, your wish is granted! Here are the rest.

Continuing our story...

After Fantasyland, we rode Pirates. That ride is outstanding! No Johnny Depp, and the theming is fantastic. So much detail, I had to go back later and ride it again just to take it all in.

We explored the caves and Swiss Family Treehouse.

Funny half-trashcan in the Treehouse:

We had received a coupon with lunch to come back mid-day (between 3-6pm) for a free soft drink or coffee at select restaurants. Similar gimmick to what they do in the States, but at $6 bucks for a Coke it is totally worth taking advantage of. So we grabbed a beverage at Casey's Corner on Main Street before heading back to the Studios to ride Crush.

I just cannot emphasize enough how uncrowded it was!

Crush had a decent 40 minute wait. The queue began around the shelter on the side of the studio building housing the attraction. They had part of the inside queue closed off, so it wasn't bad. Inside, it was REALLY HOT though so they must not've had the A/C on.

Crush was delightful as last reported on my other trip. We liked it so much we rode it again. The Studios were about to close anyway (getting close to 7pm) so we waited about 20min for a second ride. Way better than the 90+ minute wait I had in March. What a difference Spring Break makes.

Now, as sun began setting (it stays bright late in Paris), I grabbed some random shots as we re-rode our favorites including Phantom Manor, BTMRR and Pirates.

My sad attempts to grab a shot of the Blue Lagoon restaurant inside Pirates:

Colonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost (I just like this building!)

Back through the caves and Adventureland

And a nice farewell shot of the castle before their Disney Dreams closing spectacular

I have to say, I was not expecting how amazing the Disney Dreams show is. Think of the best fireworks show you've seen at a Disney park and add in the best of Fantasmic. It is exceptional. Not wanting to get caught in the closing crowds, we watched it from way back in Town Square and had no problem seeing everything. Of course, being uncrowded, there was good spacing between people at that end.

The show has the mist screens in front of the castle, making viewing from any angle or from a neighboring land an inferior experience. The video projection onto the castle facade was so clever, I cannot tell you everything (and wouldn't want to spoil it, plus you can probably find it on YouTube.) But I will say, they did a great job using the shape of the castle for some neat tricks, like turning the turrets into giant sky rockets that "shot" up into the air and exploded as real fireworks. Neat! It was a very satisfying show and a great end to a fun day.

I thought on the walk back to the Santa Fe I would grab a few better night resort shots than I took with my phone last time.

Newport Bay Club

The river running between Santa Fe and Cheyenne

The Cheyenne

One of the new six story buildings of the Santa Fe. They must be doing well!

Well, that's it, except to say that the next morning we grabbed breakfast and took the crazy-short 9-minute TGV train ride to CDG airport. If you took the RER A to the RER B going through Paris, the same trip would take about 90 minutes. Wow.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sat 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Nice! I like that they included a free drink as part of your lunch. They didn't do that when I was there :( Thanks for sharing your second trip to DLP :D
Next stop, youtube to watch Disney Dreams!
(I really do have things to do today, but the computer seems to be winning) :lol:

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Metalfan » Apr Sun 21, 2013 11:05 am

Wow awesome pictures!!! Looks like a great place! Might be something I look at saving towards for 2 years from now. That is, of course, if I'm not planning a wedding by then.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Apr Sun 21, 2013 11:30 am

amy, I watched the one on YouTube from dlrpmagicvideo and was surprised to see the guests wearing Mickey ears that lit up in sync with the show. I didn't see anyone with those where we stood. Cool though. Also, not a lot of pyrotechnics relative to the length of the show but they make them all work.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 21, 2013 3:51 pm

horizons1 wrote:amy, I watched the one on YouTube from dlrpmagicvideo and was surprised to see the guests wearing Mickey ears that lit up in sync with the show. I didn't see anyone with those where we stood. Cool though. Also, not a lot of pyrotechnics relative to the length of the show but they make them all work.
I'm watching that one now ~ I looked up Wishes by mistake ~ still a pretty show, but I didn't see anyone with ears in that one. I wonder if the Dreams video was a special night because so many people had the light up ears? They really do add a cool touch. I love what they can do with lasers and projections too ~ and of course I love the music! It all really adds up to a magical show :mickey:
I think I might have to spring for a pair of those ears when we go to DCA this winter :goofy_bounce:

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » Apr Mon 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Wonderful pictures of a beautiful park. It sounds as though you also enjoy my two favorites, Phantom Manor and Pirates. You're right, both require multiple ride throughs to catch all the details. Wish I was there right now!
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Apr Tue 23, 2013 3:14 am

horizons1 wrote:One of the new six story buildings of the Santa Fe. They must be doing well!
They're not actually new, they've been there since 1992 :)

They're currently doing some fairly large refurbishments at the hotels, though. Nice to see they've actually added some theming to the Santa Fe. It used to be just all plain brown buildings, and fairly boring rooms.

Have they still got the huge Cars scene on the "movie screen" at the front, or have they brought Clint Eastwood back?
Amy wrote:
horizons1 wrote:amy, I watched the one on YouTube from dlrpmagicvideo and was surprised to see the guests wearing Mickey ears that lit up in sync with the show. I didn't see anyone with those where we stood. Cool though. Also, not a lot of pyrotechnics relative to the length of the show but they make them all work.
I'm watching that one now ~ I looked up Wishes by mistake ~ still a pretty show, but I didn't see anyone with ears in that one. I wonder if the Dreams video was a special night because so many people had the light up ears? They really do add a cool touch. I love what they can do with lasers and projections too ~ and of course I love the music! It all really adds up to a magical show :mickey:
I think I might have to spring for a pair of those ears when we go to DCA this winter :goofy_bounce:
It was the press event for the extended 20th anniversary*, so they were all given the ears. They're not selling them to the public until the summer.

Disneyland Paris posted their own video of the show too, with multiple angles, etc.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLplrEry5q0

* Even though the park is now 21, there's still 20 stuff all over the place. Marketing. :roll:
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Apr Sat 27, 2013 11:19 am

Well that explains it. Thanks ACP.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Mon 06, 2013 12:13 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is how cool it is being able to explore Adventure Isle at night. Since there are bridges and no rafts, there is no need to close down the "island" at night so you get to explore all the caves in the dark. If you've ever wondered what being on Tom Sawyer Island is like at night, this is the closest thing to it!

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » May Fri 10, 2013 3:38 pm

horizons1 wrote:One thing I forgot to mention is how cool it is being able to explore Adventure Isle at night. Since there are bridges and no rafts, there is no need to close down the "island" at night so you get to explore all the caves in the dark. If you've ever wondered what being on Tom Sawyer Island is like at night, this is the closest thing to it!
I've gotta get myself over to France...your trip pics are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs