2015 Running / Sub Meet-up?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: 2015 Running / Sub Meet-up?

Post by GeoffS » Apr Mon 29, 2013 9:37 pm

For anyone either not currently a runner, or someone who just does 5K as a walker, Jeff Galloway has an AWESOME run/walk program designed to get anyone into marathon shape. I ran a ton of marathons back in the day, and my wife wanted to join for a race despite never doing anything athletic before. She followed the beginner program, and 6 months later completed her first marathon. Even with a shuffle/walk method, most everyone can make the cutoff time for most organized marathons. Can't recommend the program enough. Free online.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Tue 30, 2013 11:47 am

Amy wrote:
Metalfan wrote:So far not a good start! I'm guessing eating 3 burgers from Sonic wasn't the best way to start this get in shape thing.
:lol: You have to put fuel in the tank don't you?! ;)
I'm a big guy!! If my gf and I are looking at 8 pm and not eating dinner yet, I have to think of what fills me up lol. I'm trying. I don't know how to diet. Never did.

On the plus side, I did walk 3 miles today in a tidy 49 minutes and wasn't completely dead. So in reality only need to cut a few minutes off that to come under Disney's 16 minute thing. That's my good thing. Even with my being big (and yea I'm not HUGE) I've always been able to do things. Running not so much anymore, but I can walk a pretty good amount and not have it do much bad to me. I really wish I could somehow come up with the Marathon thing only because I think it would be awesome to go through the parks and stuff. My grandfather was a marathon runner for like 20 years and I'd love for him to be able to look down and give me a thumbs up for completing on somehow! But I tend to know my limits and that's just beyond anything right now.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 30, 2013 1:19 pm

GeoffS wrote:For anyone either not currently a runner, or someone who just does 5K as a walker, Jeff Galloway has an AWESOME run/walk program designed to get anyone into marathon shape. I ran a ton of marathons back in the day, and my wife wanted to join for a race despite never doing anything athletic before. She followed the beginner program, and 6 months later completed her first marathon. Even with a shuffle/walk method, most everyone can make the cutoff time for most organized marathons. Can't recommend the program enough. Free online.
That seems pretty impressive to go from not having done much to running a marathon in 6 months ~ good for her!
Metalfan wrote:
Amy wrote:
Metalfan wrote:So far not a good start! I'm guessing eating 3 burgers from Sonic wasn't the best way to start this get in shape thing.
:lol: You have to put fuel in the tank don't you?! ;)
I'm a big guy!! If my gf and I are looking at 8 pm and not eating dinner yet, I have to think of what fills me up lol. I'm trying. I don't know how to diet. Never did.

On the plus side, I did walk 3 miles today in a tidy 49 minutes and wasn't completely dead. So in reality only need to cut a few minutes off that to come under Disney's 16 minute thing. That's my good thing. Even with my being big (and yea I'm not HUGE) I've always been able to do things. Running not so much anymore, but I can walk a pretty good amount and not have it do much bad to me. I really wish I could somehow come up with the Marathon thing only because I think it would be awesome to go through the parks and stuff. My grandfather was a marathon runner for like 20 years and I'd love for him to be able to look down and give me a thumbs up for completing on somehow! But I tend to know my limits and that's just beyond anything right now.
Just don't over do it. You don't want to injure yourself and not be able to even walk! Good job on walking the 3 miles today :D I hope to have a little calmer schedule by next week and can start walking with some regularity!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Tue 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Well that's me! I don't overdo things. I know I'll be able to do the 5k easily. I'd like to do the 10k somehow and really if I can't run the 10k I might try and work myself up to walk the half marathon. A couple years ago I was in LA and walked from my hotel on Hollywood Blvd over to places like the Whiskey. And I don't know if anyone has been there and knows how far it is but it was a lot of walking and took me awhile. Outside of some terrible blisters from wearing brand new shoes I didn't struggle. Got to the Whiskey and talked to the girls from the band Kitty and hadn't even broken a sweat and then walked back to my hotel. Had to be 10 miles combined if not more both ways. Stopped and got some In and Out too lol I always tend to know my limits and stuff. I know who I am. I'm never going to be a runner or be in that shape. That's not me and has never been me. I've always been a bigger guy. Not that it's terrible. I'd love to get in better shape. But as we've seen in other situations being a bigger guy doesn't mean that you can't accomplish things like it. And really I think walking/running around WDW will actually keep me in a good mental state where I'm not sitting back getting bored. I do a lot better if I have a goal and/or people walking with me that I can talk to.

Also I had a question for anyone who has done it. They say they don't want you to wear headphones. I work better for long distances that way. Are the announcements that important?

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Apr Tue 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Metalfan wrote: Also I had a question for anyone who has done it. They say they don't want you to wear headphones. I work better for long distances that way. Are the announcements that important?
IMHO...No, not on the 5K.
Even on the half and full, as long as you dont blast it out, you will still be able to hear the announcements.
BUT...I will say this: The thing that you cannot hear are the other runners saying, "On your left..on your right" etc.. It drives me crazy when someone with headphones doesnt hear me say 'on your left' and they jump in front of me.
Again, for the 5K---dont sweat it. Obviously the 10K is new, so we dont know how 'relaxed' it is.

I say, if it works for you--do it! :)

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Tue 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Ah ok! I didn't know what kind of announcements they would make and yea not smashing into people would be nice lol. I could always do 1 in and 1 out. Thanks for the info!!

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » May Wed 01, 2013 6:50 am

Metalfan wrote:Ah ok! I didn't know what kind of announcements they would make and yea not smashing into people would be nice lol. I could always do 1 in and 1 out. Thanks for the info!!
One in and one out works perfect.
The announcements are things like "Course narrows ahead" or "Whatch out for speedbumps" (when you go through the MK parking lot entrance.

I am glad to know that you are going to give this a shot! We are going to have a super fun 5K!!!!

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » May Wed 01, 2013 9:55 am

Metalfan wrote:Also I had a question for anyone who has done it. They say they don't want you to wear headphones. I work better for long distances that way. Are the announcements that important?
I used to only run with headphones. About a year ago I was running with a friend of mine who swore by not using any music. I tried it and I have to say I feel like I am more in tune with how I run. My breathing seems better, my stride and pace seems to be more consistent. I very rarely use it now, and never on race day. There's usually so much going on race days that I don't feel the need at all. I like being able to hear the people cheering and the music playing. It also makes it easier to strike up conversation with your fellow runners. :D
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Thu 02, 2013 9:06 pm

GeoffS wrote:For anyone either not currently a runner, or someone who just does 5K as a walker, Jeff Galloway has an AWESOME run/walk program designed to get anyone into marathon shape. I ran a ton of marathons back in the day, and my wife wanted to join for a race despite never doing anything athletic before. She followed the beginner program, and 6 months later completed her first marathon. Even with a shuffle/walk method, most everyone can make the cutoff time for most organized marathons. Can't recommend the program enough. Free online.
Is it called PaceFinder?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » May Sun 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Sorry, I guess I should have posted a link, right? Here ya go:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html
Different programs for different distances, and explains the technique.

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » May Sat 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Aw boo, I'd love to have a Sub meet up but my goal for 2015 is to go there by September since that's about the only time I'd have free from school.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » May Sun 12, 2013 9:56 pm

It's ok MsSwann, if my plans work out in 2015, we will have a meet up in August for the DL Half Marathon as well!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 13, 2013 8:13 am

NaCler wrote:It's ok MsSwann, if my plans work out in 2015, we will have a meet up in August for the DL Half Marathon as well!
Ugh, running in Florida in August?! Yikes!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Mon 13, 2013 8:32 am

Amy wrote:
NaCler wrote:It's ok MsSwann, if my plans work out in 2015, we will have a meet up in August for the DL Half Marathon as well!
Yeah.

No.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 13, 2013 9:03 am

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Yeah.

No.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: