2015 Running / Sub Meet-up?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: 2015 Running / Sub Meet-up?

Post by Metalfan » Apr Thu 25, 2013 10:11 am

Yea it sounds like a blast! I've never done a marathon (walking or running or dreaming) so it would be really cool to say I did something. And I know I won't have to twist the girlfriends arm to head to Disney. And its 20 months away so money shouldn't be a big issue to head down for a few days and have some fun!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Thu 25, 2013 10:21 am

Team Cool Rules! Team March Drools!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 25, 2013 10:46 am

cy1229 wrote:Team Cool Rules! Team March Drools!
:lol:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Thu 25, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm loving this idea!!!!
#TeamCool
We would be stopping for pics for sure!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Apr Thu 25, 2013 3:59 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:
NaCler wrote:They list a 16 minute mile pace so that people do not feel like they can just hang out for 3 hours since they signed up for the 5k. The Mickey Miles Podcast did a thing about the 5k and they said that they have never heard of anybody being swept off the course and have never even seen the "sweepers" on the course before. Plus, there are corrals that go off at different times, so as long as we are not in the last corral, we should have no problems at all. The last corral is for strollers.
I would say that if you see strollers beware, but I think they banished strollers. But that might just be this year because of Inaugural Dopey...?
Like NaCler said---dont worry about getting swept. He and I were in the last corral (except for strollers), we certainly didnt set the world on fire...we walked some and we still finished in plenty of time.
Plus...you will have plenty of friends out there to help with motivation and keep you moving and away from Norwegian Daisy. Isn't that right, NaCler? ;) :lol: :lol:
It may well change this year with the introduction of the Dopey. They are going to have to time the 5k for the runners that are competing in the whole challenge that may well be why there are no strollers this year.

We are in for 2015.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Fri 26, 2013 10:59 am

I know I have said it before...but almost anyone can run a Half Marathon...as long as their health isn't in jeopardy.

I was a runner growing up and once I hit the real world I got out of shape fast. I couldn't even run a mile. So I did something crazy and signed up for the WDW Half in 2008. I knew that I had to train for it so it wouldn't kill me...and I got a WDW vacation out of it. I lost a good bit of weight and got back in shape. I've run 4 Half Marathons since then...2 at WDW...1 in Nashville...and 1 in my hometown. It's something I never thought I would do...but I did it...thanks to WDW.

Now I just have to figure out how to train for and run a full marathon...

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Fri 26, 2013 12:29 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I know I have said it before...but almost anyone can run a Half Marathon...as long as their health isn't in jeopardy.

I was a runner growing up and once I hit the real world I got out of shape fast. I couldn't even run a mile. So I did something crazy and signed up for the WDW Half in 2008. I knew that I had to train for it so it wouldn't kill me...and I got a WDW vacation out of it. I lost a good bit of weight and got back in shape. I've run 4 Half Marathons since then...2 at WDW...1 in Nashville...and 1 in my hometown. It's something I never thought I would do...but I did it...thanks to WDW.

WWDRH can probably give you some pointers. :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Apr Fri 26, 2013 1:49 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I know I have said it before...but almost anyone can run a Half Marathon...as long as their health isn't in jeopardy.

I would say if you can do a half you can do a full. It does take training and a lot of will power. You will hit that point where you don't want to keep going, but just slow down, walk for a bit, and then tell yourself you can do it. A lot of it is mental. And it always helps to have friends to run with you :D
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Fri 26, 2013 2:05 pm

yeah...for me the hard part is the training required for running a Full

I am probably in good enough shape right now that I could be ready for a Half in 6-8 weeks. My problem is that my knees usually give out after around 10-11 miles...so running another 2-3 miles is doable with hurt knees. I can't imagine having to run another 15-16 miles after my knees go out...I would be miserable.

I'm hopeful that at some point I can train well enough to prevent said pain or at least delay it to mile 24 or so.

What people don't understand is that it is not the distance that is so difficult...it's the time. Running for 2-3 hours is not easy...same for 5-6 hours. But if I ever do get around to running a Full...it WILL be at WDW.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Fri 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Sitting here reading all this has made me so jealous of you guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I left school as the best runner and continued to run all my life at a reasonable standard 8-)
This all came to a shuddering halt a few years ago :( and after 3 knee operations in the last 4 years I am just starting to get back to doing something. It's hard, but I will do it.
However I think only a lottery win would allow me to be there in 2015 to join you :!:
For now I will just support you from afar and wish you all well.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Fri 26, 2013 6:48 pm

I am Sulley wrote:Sitting here reading all this has made me so jealous of you guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I left school as the best runner and continued to run all my life at a reasonable standard 8-)
This all came to a shuddering halt a few years ago :( and after 3 knee operations in the last 4 years I am just starting to get back to doing something. It's hard, but I will do it.
However I think only a lottery win would allow me to be there in 2015 to join you :!:
I was *just* about to say you should walk with Amy and me in the 5k... but that doesn't solve your lottery problem.

Big.
Fat.
Bummer.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 26, 2013 8:02 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:yeah...for me the hard part is the training required for running a Full

I am probably in good enough shape right now that I could be ready for a Half in 6-8 weeks. My problem is that my knees usually give out after around 10-11 miles...so running another 2-3 miles is doable with hurt knees. I can't imagine having to run another 15-16 miles after my knees go out...I would be miserable.

I'm hopeful that at some point I can train well enough to prevent said pain or at least delay it to mile 24 or so.

What people don't understand is that it is not the distance that is so difficult...it's the time. Running for 2-3 hours is not easy...same for 5-6 hours. But if I ever do get around to running a Full...it WILL be at WDW.
Just be careful so you don't end up doing any permanent damage to your knees. My brother that runs triathlons injured his Achilles really badly and hasn't been competitive for a few years now as he can only jog the running portion of races. He actually speed skates now which is a little easier on his joints I guess ~ unless he crashes :shock:
As for finding time, you could always put the baby into a jogging stroller and have some father-son bonding time :D

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Sat 27, 2013 2:53 pm

cy1229 wrote:
I am Sulley wrote:..............................
I was *just* about to say you should walk with Amy and me in the 5k... but that doesn't solve your lottery problem.

Big.
Fat.
Bummer.
I should have added that a certain Princessinwaiting would probably not talk to me if I went to WDW without her, as she won't graduate from college until summer 2015

Maybe she won't see this post!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Sat 27, 2013 3:08 pm

I am Sulley wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
I am Sulley wrote:..............................

Big.
Fat.
Bummer.
I should have added that a certain Princessinwaiting would probably not talk to me if I went to WDW without her, as she won't graduate from college until summer 2015

Maybe she won't see this post!
No holidays for young ladies in college? I'm guessing that is where the extra WDW trip funds are going at the moment ;)

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Sat 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Spot on Amy!
Dance College doesn't come cheap. Here's hoping she achieves her dream :)
Then we WILL all be over there!
:ccat: