Trip Booked!!!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: Trip Booked!!!

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Wed 17, 2013 12:10 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:MK definitely has the best Rope Drop in terms of show and excitement.
I can only imagine...just seeing the characters all on the train waving....someday....lol

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Metalfan » Apr Tue 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Debating places to eat! It's been tough because every time I pick something I see something else. We haven't discussed a ton of sit down restaurant places as of yet. We're really only gonna do Epcot and maybe Hollywood Studios for sit down dinners when we're in parks. Anyone have any recommendations on their favorite places to eat? Especially at Animal Kingdom (not that there is much there anyway).

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Apr Tue 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Metalfan wrote:I agree completely! It's just something that I want her to see too. I figured it would be tough to not go to a park but really, we're flying out so early that it gives us a whole day to wander around and do some easy things, have a nice dinner, and just get back to the room and relax and prepare for a long fun first day at the parks. It crossed my mind early on when we started thinking about this trip how we would do it and we feel that this is the best way! It should make that Monday really, really fun for both of us. And it opens up the week the way I want it to. Leaves us the last day of our trip to do some final shopping and stuff and one day in the middle of the week to hit Universal or take a day off.

And there's a small chance we'll be going back again either in October or November for a weekend!
What is this "Universal" you speak of? ;)
That sounds like a nice plan Metalfan! I like how you are almost adding a day to your vacation :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Metalfan wrote:Debating places to eat! It's been tough because every time I pick something I see something else. We haven't discussed a ton of sit down restaurant places as of yet. We're really only gonna do Epcot and maybe Hollywood Studios for sit down dinners when we're in parks. Anyone have any recommendations on their favorite places to eat? Especially at Animal Kingdom (not that there is much there anyway).
We enjoy Via Napoli in EPCOT. We split the "individual" sized pizza between the two of us. That way we have plenty of room for the Zeppole di Ricotta - Ricotta cheese fritters for dessert ~ sheer heaven on a plate with chocolate sauce and real whipped cream!
We have also tried their Arancini - fried risotto balls filled with mozzarella and meat ragu. Mom liked them, I didn't care for them. She had an apple dessert the first time we went as she didn't like the sound of the Zeppoli. I tried her apple dessert and wasn't impressed, she tried my Zeppoli and proceeded to eat half of them. Now we just order those ;) :lol: I just checked the menu and noticed the apple dessert isn't on it currently anyhow.
Between our various food allergies, me being a picky eater, and the desire to keep our costs down, we haven't expanded our horizons much beyond that. Plus we would rather grab a quick bite and get back to the action!

As for quick service, we have tried the Tangierine Cafe in Morocco and that was pretty tasty, although a little out of our palate comfort zone. Our favorite quick service in the Animal Kingdom is the Flame Tree BBQ :D

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Tue 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Second on Flame Tree BBQ! Very good, and I really enjoy eating on the patio behind the restaurant, down next to the water.

Our favorite in EPCOT is Tepan Edo. We had a good meal at Chefs de France in 2010 but didn't go back in 2012. I ate at Coral Reef with my girls in 2008, had a reasonably good meal (some parts great, some parts not-so-great) but haven't been back. I haven't been there, but I have heard that Flying Fish at Boardwalk is really good, so you might think about just popping over there for dinner. I think it's on the expensive side, but could be well worth it. Others will have to chime in on that one.

In DHS, we really liked Mama Melrose. Had one of our best meals. Hubby's chicken parmesan wasn't as much of an entree as he would have liked, but I had too much to eat so he helped me by taking the rest of it off my hands. :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Tue 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks Amy and Cy!!! For me Epcot is the biggest challenge because there's so much good food. Flame Tree seems to be a large favorite for AK and it's a place I enjoy too. Epcot it's a battle between the Italy, Mexico, and German pavilions I think. But I still need to think. Could always take her to le Cellier but a good steak you can get anywhere. So it's just gonna take more looking and then it'll be a feel situation. DHS I was thinking of giving her an experience and taking her to 50's or even Sci Fi. Mama Melrose is a good option too. Magic Kingdom is gonna be something simple likely. I know it's not fancy but I always have to stop at Cosmic Rays. Might take her to some place around the lake for dinner that night. I just don't know. It's such a tough decision.

We're probably going to do mostly quick service outside of dinners because that's us. That's how we operate lol. And as I've said she's a small eater so it works better. Gives us a chance to relax a bit but doesn't take a huge chunk out of our day or pockets! We're 2 young people wanting to run around and enjoy everything. Plus with it being her first trip as an adult it's gonna be hard to pull her away from rides and stuff.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 24, 2013 10:08 am

Via Napoli is a place DW and I will eat at every single trip until they get rid of it. They have the best pizza we have ever had...and we have had some darn good pizzas. (Chicago does not have pizza...they have pie)

The Zeppole di Ricotta is unbelievable and a must as well.

If I were you...I would try to eat at places that have things you really can't get anywhere else back at home. We have no truly authentic Italian pizza places where we are...thus why we eat a Via Napoli. We also always eat at San Angel Inn...since it is more authentic Mexican rather than American-Mexican...but we have a place similar here in town...so we may skip that next time. A Pretzel and beer in Germany is a must...as well as Fish & Chips and a Harp from UK. DW and I have not eaten at Restaurant Marrakesh, but may give it a try on our next trip.

At DHS...the experience at 50's Prime Time Cafe is great and something she will remember forever. I hear the burgers are amazing at Sci Fi though...so if that sounds good you may want to try that. I've had ADRs twice at Mama Melrose but have yet to actually eat there.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Wed 24, 2013 10:44 am

Yea that's one of the biggest things I'm trying to get her to want to do is get stuff that we can't get here. I mean, we have some pizza places that are good but to get a really nice italian dinner we have to drive about a hour. I can eat basically anything so it's really up to her when it comes down to it. It's just a tough decision. And yea I'm trying to decide if I want her to get the experience of 50s or the food at sci fi. I prefer the food at sci fi.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Apr Wed 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I was very impressed with Brown Derby when we were there in January, That or O'Hana had to be my favorite meals of the trip by far. Prior to going I had always wanted to eat at the Coral Reef in Epcot, but for the most part was underwhelmed with that. Everyone here had said so many great things about O'hana and Brown Derby that we gave them a shot and WOW. Totally worth it. If you happen to be going to DHS on a night when they're doing Fantasmic, I would go for the Dinner Package. I thought it was a good plan, even though we did it with a lunch reservation. We just noshed the rest of the day as we were pretty full from the multi course meal at Brown Derby.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.