Trip Booked!!!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Trip Booked!!!

Post by Metalfan » Apr Thu 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Finally nailed down the dates and got the ok! Went ahead and booked a wonderful Disney week trip for my lovely girlfriend and I. We'll be at the All Star Sports resort from September 1st-September 8th! Also got 5 days of park hopper tickets. Now, some might be wondering why we only got 5 days of tickets and we're gonna be there longer. Well, knowing my girlfriend and how she is I know she'll want at least 1 day off. We have the chance to go to Universal for free so one day is for that. There's always the chance we'll add another day but I just think she'll want 2 days off where we can hotel hop and have relaxing days. Mini golf, bowling, etc. Now, all that's left is deciding what restaurants we want to eat at and finding ways to pass almost 5 months! I know when we arrive via Magical Express we'll be heading straight to Hollywood Studios because I feel it's the easiest park to do with about half a day. And if we miss anything we can always do it another day. Just pleased to get this finally nailed down and us being able to start looking at what else we want to do while we're there!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Trip Booked!!!

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Thu 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Congrats!!!

I would definitely spend a day resort hopping if you can. It's very easy to spend several hours at the Boardwalk and the resorts around there. You can eat your meals there and just enjoy strolling around. The only thing that would be hard is seeing Epcot but not going in. ;)

You could also do a Monorail hop going to each of the Monorail resorts for drinks/snacks and walking around. You could also do some shopping there too. DW and I found that by spending time at the nicer resorts we can get our "Deluxe fix" without paying the Deluxe prices. :) You could also head over to Wilderness Lodge and spend some time there. They have a balcony on the back side of the resort that looks out over the pool that is very private if you wanted to enjoy the view and relax.

The good thing about seeing all of the different resorts is that you get a chance to enjoy all of the different types of Disney transportation. All it costs you is your time...and if you have that to spare I would take advantage of it. Of course spending time at DTD is awesome and you have plenty of food and entertainment options. You can also rent the little 2-seat boats at several of the resorts. I have a friend who has done this before and had a blast.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Thu 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Yea I know she's excited about seeing all the different resorts! And we figured in our long trip we had time to take a couple days where we could just relax and do some other stuff. We figured in the 5 days we'll have no problem riding all the rides we want to ride and since we have park hoppers we can always hit a park to do a ride if we really want to. I know she'll want to go to AKL and watch the animals for a bit and I'll go show her everything I know about Disney. And we'll be able to spend time at DTD on the other day.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Congratulations on getting your trip set! You might even want to consider not using one of your park ticket days the first day. Depending on what time you arrive, you might want to do the resort hop or DTD wander so you can use the ticket for a full day of parks instead of a half day. We always try to travel really early so we get into the parks the first day because we are so excited to finally be there, but I'm wondering if it might be better to relax that first half day or so. Especially if you aren't going to have tickets for all of the days you will be there. Although with the park hopper you have the option of going to whatever park you want to start at, and hopping over to the park with EMH in the evening.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Fri 12, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks Amy!! Yea, that's something we'll consider. Our flight will land before 10 am in Orlando so we'll have almost a whole day. I just think it will be hard to get her to not go to a park since she really hasn't been to one since she was 6 and considering how excited she is.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Fri 12, 2013 10:30 am

Metalfan wrote:Thanks Amy!! Yea, that's something we'll consider. Our flight will land before 10 am in Orlando so we'll have almost a whole day. I just think it will be hard to get her to not go to a park since she really hasn't been to one since she was 6 and considering how excited she is.
That does give you most of a day. We usually get in around 11-ish, but by the time we ride the Magic Express, get to the hotel, straighten out any problems with the check-in :roll: and get to the room it is generally early to mid afternoon. We always head straight for the parks after that though because we are so excited! But we generally have length of stay tickets so we wouldn't gain anything by not going to the park that same day. It will be interesting to see what happens with you two :D

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Sat 13, 2013 11:09 am

Yea it does give us a lot of time! But of course I have no idea how long things are going to take to get us to the hotel. As in Magical Express and stuff. Check in has never been a problem for me so I'm hoping that it won't be this time. But we're going to see what we can do when we get there. It will be a fun trip no matter what and if we take that first day off, I think it'll be fine! We'll go bowling!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Apr Sun 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Awesome!!!

I would say I'd say hello when you come to MK, but I'll be in Paris that week. So enjoy yourselves!! :)

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Mon 15, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks Soarin!

And fun stuff happened over the weekend. My GF decided that she thinks it would be best for us to take the day we arrive and hit up DTD and do some other things and then relax and have a nice dinner. She wants her first Disney experience to be MK when it opens the next day. So it looks like the Monday will be our first park day!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Metalfan wrote:Thanks Soarin!

And fun stuff happened over the weekend. My GF decided that she thinks it would be best for us to take the day we arrive and hit up DTD and do some other things and then relax and have a nice dinner. She wants her first Disney experience to be MK when it opens the next day. So it looks like the Monday will be our first park day!
I guess it goes without saying that you will be there at the MK for rope drop right? Wouldn't that be awesome if you were selected as the family for the day?!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Mon 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Yea we'll be there for the rope drop and the opening. She wants to see the characters opening the park, etc. She's excited about it but we really are trying to plan out! We've always been easy going and while we may be excited we're smart about our planning of trips It would be AMAZING if we got picked!!!

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Apr Tue 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Mornings are the best. Good choice to wait for the full experience on the day after arrival.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Wed 17, 2013 11:34 am

Rope drop is such a sore subject for me.

I still have never full been to a rope drop and I was DETERMINED to make one during our last trip.
Our first attempt, I didn't realize that if the park has EMH, THAT is the time for the rope drop. Missed it completely.
The second time it took FOREVER for our bus to get to our hotel and bring us to the MK and literally as our bus is pulling
up to the MK bus stop, we see the train go by and all of the characters waving.
Broke. My. Heart.

But, our next trip I am NOT leaving Orlando until I see a rope drop! ha

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 17, 2013 11:49 am

MK definitely has the best Rope Drop in terms of show and excitement.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Wed 17, 2013 12:05 pm

I agree completely! It's just something that I want her to see too. I figured it would be tough to not go to a park but really, we're flying out so early that it gives us a whole day to wander around and do some easy things, have a nice dinner, and just get back to the room and relax and prepare for a long fun first day at the parks. It crossed my mind early on when we started thinking about this trip how we would do it and we feel that this is the best way! It should make that Monday really, really fun for both of us. And it opens up the week the way I want it to. Leaves us the last day of our trip to do some final shopping and stuff and one day in the middle of the week to hit Universal or take a day off.

And there's a small chance we'll be going back again either in October or November for a weekend!