Anyone use Magical Express?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Anyone use Magical Express?

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Metalfan wrote:Amy, yea I'm going to talk to him and see what he'll be doing that day. See if he can take the day off or pick us up before he leaves for work and just drive us up there. Worst case if we need to just take a cab back it's only half the price! Or we could do the fun thing and hop on a hotel shuttle and shuttle to a hotel closer to Disney and then cab from there! I know it's wrong, but you gotta do what you gotta do! ...
Sounds like a good plan. I wonder if they make you show any sort of ID for the hotel shuttles? Probably not as so many people would be going back and forth. Since you lived in the area you would know if you were getting yourself closer to Disney so the taxi would be cheaper. With my luck, I would end up further away :shock: :lol:

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Metalfan » Mar Tue 26, 2013 9:35 am

Amy wrote:
Metalfan wrote:Amy, yea I'm going to talk to him and see what he'll be doing that day. See if he can take the day off or pick us up before he leaves for work and just drive us up there. Worst case if we need to just take a cab back it's only half the price! Or we could do the fun thing and hop on a hotel shuttle and shuttle to a hotel closer to Disney and then cab from there! I know it's wrong, but you gotta do what you gotta do! ...
Sounds like a good plan. I wonder if they make you show any sort of ID for the hotel shuttles? Probably not as so many people would be going back and forth. Since you lived in the area you would know if you were getting yourself closer to Disney so the taxi would be cheaper. With my luck, I would end up further away :shock: :lol:
When I lived there I stayed at a lot of local hotel for business reasons and never once had my id checked. We likely won't do that but it just was something I tossed out there lol. The whole Universal thing isn't a big part of the trip really. It's just free tickets and the chance to go to another park.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Metalfan wrote:
Amy wrote:
When I lived there I stayed at a lot of local hotel for business reasons and never once had my id checked. We likely won't do that but it just was something I tossed out there lol. The whole Universal thing isn't a big part of the trip really. It's just free tickets and the chance to go to another park.
I would probably go to Universal if I had free tickets. I would love to ride ET again! And I wouldn't mind checking out the Harry Potter ride although I don't really know the books or movies.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Amy wrote:I would probably go to Universal if I had free tickets. I would love to ride ET again! And I wouldn't mind checking out the Harry Potter ride although I don't really know the books or movies.
:shock: You work with kids all day long, how could you not know the Potter?! :shock: Some rainy, foggy, disgusting day when you don't have anything to do, or don't feel like doing anything, or are feeling sick, you need to watch the movies. If you don't have them, ask any of your students,I'm willing to bet they all have all of the movies. :) You will enjoy the imagination and details put into the storyline. Then, if you love them like my girls do, go read the books. I haven't read the books yet, but I do so very enjoy the movies.

My understanding was that WHP was a separate ticket purchase from UO. And a pretty expensive one at that. My girls want to go (of course) but I'm not convinced. Maybe next time we're in Orlando, hubby and I can take a day to reeellaaaaax by the pool and let the girls to go WHP by themselves. Then again, hubby will probably want to go. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 26, 2013 1:05 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:I would probably go to Universal if I had free tickets. I would love to ride ET again! And I wouldn't mind checking out the Harry Potter ride although I don't really know the books or movies.
:shock: You work with kids all day long, how could you not know the Potter?! :shock: Some rainy, foggy, disgusting day when you don't have anything to do, or don't feel like doing anything, or are feeling sick, you need to watch the movies. If you don't have them, ask any of your students,I'm willing to bet they all have all of the movies. :) You will enjoy the imagination and details put into the storyline. Then, if you love them like my girls do, go read the books. I haven't read the books yet, but I do so very enjoy the movies.

My understanding was that WHP was a separate ticket purchase from UO. And a pretty expensive one at that. My girls want to go (of course) but I'm not convinced. Maybe next time we're in Orlando, hubby and I can take a day to reeellaaaaax by the pool and let the girls to go WHP by themselves. Then again, hubby will probably want to go. :)
Oh, I know what they are...I'm just not all that interested in them. I saw part of the first movie but it just didn't capture my attention. Maybe some day I will take the time to read one of the books...or watch one of the movies...maybe. My eldest niece devoured the books when they came out, and several of my students adore them as well. I just like Disney better ;)
I didn't know you had to pay extra for HP world :? The only thing I really want to do is ride the Harry Potter ride, and that is mostly because of the Kuka arm technology they used for the ride. I'm interested in seeing how they put it together. I'm pretty happy riding the Sum of All Thrills in Innoventions though ~ same technology, better surroundings :mickey:

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Tue 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Harry Potter World is part of Islands of Adventure. It's not separate. You buy the ticket and it's there. Not sure how much about this has come out but they are expanding it to the Universal Park and will connect the 2 parks with the Hogwarts train.

Since one of my best friends works at Universal he gets comp tickets and since they are opening a transformers ride he wants us to come check it out when we are down there. Now, it's just getting to the park that is the biggest thing. But like I said, there are options.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Metalfan wrote:Harry Potter World is part of Islands of Adventure. It's not separate. You buy the ticket and it's there. Not sure how much about this has come out but they are expanding it to the Universal Park and will connect the 2 parks with the Hogwarts train.

Since one of my best friends works at Universal he gets comp tickets and since they are opening a transformers ride he wants us to come check it out when we are down there. Now, it's just getting to the park that is the biggest thing. But like I said, there are options.
You could always take skateboards and hitch a ride ala Marty McFly! :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Wed 27, 2013 8:49 am

I'm all about the Magical Express! Not only is it convenient and REALLY helpful when you have young children (you don't have to worry about car seats, etc) - it makes you feel like the second you get off of the plane - you are in the magic of disney! Unless you come at a crazy busy time - it is like 30 minutes max to wait for a bus...at least that is what we have experienced.
I do know that you are able to get rental cars from some hotels in the DTD area. Of course - to do all of that takes time out of your vacation, which is something I hate to do. I would pay the extra for the cab or whatever in order to save my time to be 'on vacation'.
As far as the luggage thing goes - we usually plan on bringing with us whatever we need for that day on the plane. That way we aren't waiting around for our luggage to show up and our room to be ready. Just makes things easier and makes it easier to hop on the bus to a park right when you get to your hotel!
I think it is all about what your priorities are and your limitations. Bottom line for me though is DME is so worth it and takes so much time and effort and planning stress out of the mix. Plus - you can't beat watching the Welcome video and knowing that your Disney vacation is ahead of you! Just watch out for that pesky video on the way home....nothing more depressing.......lol

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Wed 27, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks Belle1082! I love hearing what other people think about it! It makes me more excited to use it! Yea I don't think the luggage thing is too important. If we don't have our luggage by the time we get back from the park I'd be shocked! I'm interested in the video!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 27, 2013 2:28 pm

FWIW...we rented our car at The Dolphin...using Alamo I believe. It was easy to walk there from Epcot...pick it up...do what we wanted...and then dropped it off the next day and walked back over to Epcot for a day in the parks.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Thu 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Metalfan wrote:Thanks Belle1082! I love hearing what other people think about it! It makes me more excited to use it! Yea I don't think the luggage thing is too important. If we don't have our luggage by the time we get back from the park I'd be shocked! I'm interested in the video!
It is such a lifesaver to not have those things to worry about. Makes your vacation that much more worry-free! And the video is great! It gets you excited about all the things you will see and do during your vacation! Although I do have to say that last time I went, we rode in a Mears bus and they never turned the video on! I just about had a heart-attack because that is one of the things that makes me feel like i'm REALLY there and they totally skipped it! If I would have known, I would have requested it at the beginning but I didn't know so I was super disappointed. So make sure they play it for you! lol

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Thu 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Yea I always like seeing things I've never seen and I'd be upset and will mention it if it doesn't start! I want to see it! And yea this is one of the things that I wanted to do, just be able to relax! And I don't want to really leave the property which is why I don't want a car.