Got back about a week ago from Disney!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Got back about a week ago from Disney!

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Metalfan wrote:I actually came up with a question that maybe someone here can help with. The dining plans. My girlfriend and I are completely different eaters (I love food, she loves a little bit of food) and those plans confuse me. Funny enough I have a degree in journalism and had to take many English classes, etc yet reading has never been my big thing. I don't enjoy books. Is there anywhere that explains it easily or anyone have any idea someone to call that can explain exactly what they do and where you can use it, etc?
Here is a link to WDW's page of participating restaurants. It breaks it down by park and what type of food, snack, quick service, table service.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-dining-pl ... urants.htm

And here is a link that explains the plan itself...this one gives some examples of purchases and how the dining plan stacks up money-wise.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-dining-plan.htm

We have had the quick service plan twice now. Both times it was included for free as part of our package. It isn't as confusing as it seems. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. The receipts list exactly how many dining credits and snack credits remain for your trip so you don't have to keep a tally in your head.

All that being said, if your girlfriend is not a big eater, you might be better off just paying for your food as you go. My Mom and I easily split almost every meal from the quick service restaurants because they give you so much food! The one benefit we noticed last time we went is they would allow substitutions if you were on the meal plan, but not if you were paying out of pocket. Not sure why the difference, and I would think it would be the other way around actually, but that is what we found. I am a person that will weigh whether or not I will enjoy something that costs $2 more than something else, and my Mom worries about the cost of everything, so it gave us a little more freedom to order what we wanted instead of worrying about the price. And Mom enjoyed not having to have money with her, as you just use your room key card.

If you do end up with the dining plan, it is a good idea to ask a cast member if you want clarification on anything. We didn't find out until the last few days of our second trip that we could choose ice cream for a dessert with our quick service meal. We found out when I mentioned to the cashier that my Mom really would have liked a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar for dessert but we were afraid it would melt before she finished eating. They told us that they would mark our receipt and we could come back after we had finished our meal to get the dessert. (I have since noticed this fact mentioned on a few of the other Disney forums.)

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Metalfan » Apr Wed 10, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks Amy!! Yea that's the big thing is deciding if it's worth it for our trip. I need to sit down and figure it out with her.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Wed 10, 2013 10:40 am

The dining plan isn't difficult to use once you understand how it works. Disney has a dining guide that lists all the participating restaurants and whether they're table service or counter service. A couple of important things:

1. Table Service restaurants are nice, need reservations (unless you want to eat at a completely weird time, like 4:00 pm for dinner), and do not include the tip for service on the dining plan. Tips can add up pretty quickly at 20 to 25% each meal.

2. Counter Service restaurants are quick and less expensive, but you eat from paper/plastic dishes and have to do all of the elbowing / jostling for position with your food to get condiments, napkins, a place to sit, etc. I know if you need help carrying your food that someone will help, but since these restaurants are less expensive they tend to be really busy and noisy.

3. Snack credits are great, but not all they're cracked up to be. As Amy has said, the portions are quite generous, so unless you're looking to gain 10 lbs. each on your vacation (not unheard of) you won't be finishing all of your meal, let alone be hungry for a snack in the afternoon or evening. It's nice to try those "small bites" of great treats (DOLE WHIP!!!! :D ) on a snack credit, but if you're eating normal meals at normal hours, you probably won't be hungry for a snack.

In 2008 I took my daughters, then ages 13 and 9, to WDW and we got the deluxe dining plan. It seemed to be the most sensible thing to do at the time, seeing as Ellie was on a child's plan. She and I would consult over the adult menu, then we would share her entree (she got SO SICK of mac 'n cheese, chicken nuggets, etc.) and my food. Because this plan includes two snacks per day, we had a LOT of snack credits at the end of the week, and loaded up on Mickey krispie treats, cookies, anything we could take with us for our couple of days on the beach. I probably wouldn't go that route again.

If'n I was you's guys, I would choose 3 or 4 places you REALLY want to eat dinner, make ADR's, and then if you don't get the dining plan, cancel all but the places you know for certain you want to eat at. Just make sure you cancel before 24 hours ahead so you don't get dinged $20.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Wed 10, 2013 10:46 am

See this is the thing that I've never had to do before. Never in my life have I had to seriously plan a trip to Disney. When i was a kid the family did the planning and there wasn't anything like this. I lived for 7 years 15 minutes from Disney so it wasn't a situation where I had to plan. Now, I'm living states away for the first time and this is a whole new undertaking. I'm not stressed about anything but I'm finally learning about things like Magical Express, Dining Plans, etc. It's fun but a bit confusing at times. I don't know what we'll do food wise or know if it's worth it for us. I mean for lunch sometimes she's good getting fries. And I know we'll be going to counter service restaurants and we'll want to go to at least a couple table service. I've been to Disney well over 500 times in my life and this is the first time I've ever actually spent a ton of time working on it. I'm trying to figure out if based on the price per day if I think we'll spend that much. I know Earl of Sandwich will be lunch or dinner at least 3-4 times.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Wed 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Metalfan wrote:See this is the thing that I've never had to do before. Never in my life have I had to seriously plan a trip to Disney. When i was a kid the family did the planning and there wasn't anything like this. I lived for 7 years 15 minutes from Disney so it wasn't a situation where I had to plan. Now, I'm living states away for the first time and this is a whole new undertaking. I'm not stressed about anything but I'm finally learning about things like Magical Express, Dining Plans, etc. It's fun but a bit confusing at times. I don't know what we'll do food wise or know if it's worth it for us. I mean for lunch sometimes she's good getting fries. And I know we'll be going to counter service restaurants and we'll want to go to at least a couple table service. I've been to Disney well over 500 times in my life and this is the first time I've ever actually spent a ton of time working on it. I'm trying to figure out if based on the price per day if I think we'll spend that much. I know Earl of Sandwich will be lunch or dinner at least 3-4 times.
I haven't really read through any other posts, but in my opinion, unless the dining plan is free - it isn't really worth it.
You get a ton of food and end up eating more than you want to or wasting the food because it is there. I figure, if you eat when you want to eat and eat the amount you want to eat, you will be satisfied. Yes, you don't know exactly what you will be eating or where or when, but at least you feel like you have more control over that without worrying about 'getting your money's worth'. but that is just my opinion. I am sure plenty of people love it b/c it is one less thing to think about. I totally get it! I would feel the same way. But at the same time, unless it is free, I am not sure it is totally worth it. Whatever you do though, i'm sure you guys will make it work and it will be wonderful!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Wed 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Yea I guess if it's free I'd be stupid to pass on it right? Is that something they offer at certain times of the year or what? And they are basically giving you free food with your ticket purchase?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Belle1082 wrote:
Metalfan wrote:See this is the thing that I've never had to do before. Never in my life have I had to seriously plan a trip to Disney. When i was a kid the family did the planning and there wasn't anything like this. I lived for 7 years 15 minutes from Disney so it wasn't a situation where I had to plan. Now, I'm living states away for the first time and this is a whole new undertaking. I'm not stressed about anything but I'm finally learning about things like Magical Express, Dining Plans, etc. It's fun but a bit confusing at times. I don't know what we'll do food wise or know if it's worth it for us. I mean for lunch sometimes she's good getting fries. And I know we'll be going to counter service restaurants and we'll want to go to at least a couple table service. I've been to Disney well over 500 times in my life and this is the first time I've ever actually spent a ton of time working on it. I'm trying to figure out if based on the price per day if I think we'll spend that much. I know Earl of Sandwich will be lunch or dinner at least 3-4 times.
I haven't really read through any other posts, but in my opinion, unless the dining plan is free - it isn't really worth it.
You get a ton of food and end up eating more than you want to or wasting the food because it is there. I figure, if you eat when you want to eat and eat the amount you want to eat, you will be satisfied. Yes, you don't know exactly what you will be eating or where or when, but at least you feel like you have more control over that without worrying about 'getting your money's worth'. but that is just my opinion. I am sure plenty of people love it b/c it is one less thing to think about. I totally get it! I would feel the same way. But at the same time, unless it is free, I am not sure it is totally worth it. Whatever you do though, i'm sure you guys will make it work and it will be wonderful!
This sounds reasonable and I have to agree, if the dining plan is free ~ good deal, if it isn't, probably not the best choice unless you are both big eaters. The way you are going Metalfan, I think you are better off making a few ADRs for the restaurants you know you want to eat at, and paying as you go. Unfortunately you can't have one person on the dining plan, and the other not on the dining plan, which sounds like the only way you would get your money's worth for you and your girlfriend.
Metalfan wrote:Yea I guess if it's free I'd be stupid to pass on it right? Is that something they offer at certain times of the year or what? And they are basically giving you free food with your ticket purchase?
Definitely only offered a few times a year. And if you are getting the dining plan free, you are probably paying pretty close to the normal rate on the hotel room instead. If you can get a 30% off offer on rooms, that might be a better choice. If the free dining is offered, it is just included with your package price. You have the option of selecting a more expensive plan by paying an upcharge. For example, if you stay at a Value resort, you get the quick service dining plan as part of your package, but you can upgrade to a table service dining package by paying more.
Last edited by Amy on Apr Wed 10, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Wed 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Ok makes sense! I honestly can say I don't know what we'll do. I think we need to figure it out sooner than later but it's still a tough decision. We're really going to have to think on it. But we're gonna book our trip for sure in the next 2 weeks.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Apr Wed 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Metalfan wrote:Ok makes sense! I honestly can say I don't know what we'll do. I think we need to figure it out sooner than later but it's still a tough decision. We're really going to have to think on it. But we're gonna book our trip for sure in the next 2 weeks.
Maybe you should let Matt help you with this one:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8709
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 10, 2013 2:04 pm

As has been said here earlier...the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) is only remotely worth it if you get it for free. Unless you order the most expensive things at the most expensive places (without eating at signature restaurants) you cannot get your money's worth. DW and I had the DDP for free on our honeymoon and if we could do it again we would take the room discount. Remember that you can pay for your food via your room key (or bracelet if they have that up and running) even if you don't have the DDP. You just charge it to your room and pay with a credit card or use cash to buy Disney gift cards to pay the room charges. I think you can do that...perhaps Soarin' can verify.

If the DDP does anything...and I say this with all seriousness...it forces you to eat. We must eat to survive...and Disney offers some fantastic food options...but the DDP exists primarily to make you spend your money on Disney property for every bite of food and ounce of drink you consume. Not saying that is good or bad...just remember that it is there for Disney to make more money...not to make your dining experience better.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Wed 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Yea I think after looking at everything and knowing where we're likely going to eat I couldn't come up with it being worth it for us. We just wont eat as much as it'll cost!