Got back about a week ago from Disney!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Got back about a week ago from Disney!

Post by Metalfan » Mar Mon 18, 2013 1:05 pm

So, took my lovely girlfriend on a trip to Disney for the first time. Well, she had been there when she was a little kid but this was the first time for her to see some stuff. We're big baseball fans so the main focus of our trip was to see spring training games down there but we snuck in a little Disney in the process.

We really were not planning on spending much time in the room with the moving around to baseball stadiums so I put us at the All Star Sports resort. Yea, not the most romantic but in reality it worked out great (except for the screaming cheerleaders towards the end). She really, really loved it. I was worried that she wouldn't be a huge fan but the resort did us really well. We ended up with a first floor room in building 6 which was basically right in front of the main hall. We didn't do any parks this trip only because when we originally planned the trip the day we had free we decided would be much better as a DTD and just relaxing day. She loved walking around and seeing everything and it just got her more excited about something I don't think she was hugely pumped for in the first place. I think since she's been so used to going to Universal when she went to Orlando before that Disney was a bit of an afterthought. Basically we took 2 days where we just relaxed and went to DTD and I took her hotel hopping because it's one of my favorite things to do. I lived in Orlando for 8 years and just would love to take a Saturday and drive down to Disney and take the bus around the property so I wanted to share that with her.

Ultimately it just turned out to be the perfect trip and we're already planning a Disney only trip in September so that she can get the full feeling. She's really, really excited for that!

Also, Splitsville might be one of the best additions to Disney in quite awhile. I thought it was very reasonably priced and it's just fun.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Got back about a week ago from Disney!

Post by cy1229 » Mar Mon 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Metalfan wrote:So, took my lovely girlfriend on a trip to Disney for the first time. Well, she had been there when she was a little kid but this was the first time for her to see some stuff. We're big baseball fans so the main focus of our trip was to see spring training games down there but we snuck in a little Disney in the process.

We really were not planning on spending much time in the room with the moving around to baseball stadiums so I put us at the All Star Sports resort. Yea, not the most romantic but in reality it worked out great (except for the screaming cheerleaders towards the end). She really, really loved it. I was worried that she wouldn't be a huge fan but the resort did us really well. We ended up with a first floor room in building 6 which was basically right in front of the main hall. We didn't do any parks this trip only because when we originally planned the trip the day we had free we decided would be much better as a DTD and just relaxing day. She loved walking around and seeing everything and it just got her more excited about something I don't think she was hugely pumped for in the first place. I think since she's been so used to going to Universal when she went to Orlando before that Disney was a bit of an afterthought. Basically we took 2 days where we just relaxed and went to DTD and I took her hotel hopping because it's one of my favorite things to do. I lived in Orlando for 8 years and just would love to take a Saturday and drive down to Disney and take the bus around the property so I wanted to share that with her.

Ultimately it just turned out to be the perfect trip and we're already planning a Disney only trip in September so that she can get the full feeling. She's really, really excited for that!

Also, Splitsville might be one of the best additions to Disney in quite awhile. I thought it was very reasonably priced and it's just fun.
It's always really nice when you get to spend time relaxing, doing something you love, and you get to bring the one you love into the interest you love. I've enjoyed showing my husband many of the things I love to do, and it just strengthens the relationship (except camping where there are spiders. We won't be doing that again. ever.).
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 18, 2013 8:59 pm

That's neat that you were able to spend some time at Disney and figure out that your girlfriend would be excited for a trip back! I can't imagine staying on Disney property and not going to the parks at all though :(
I do hope to take a resort hopping tour someday...but only when I live close enough that I won't feel cheated if I don't go to the parks.
cy1229 wrote: ...I've enjoyed showing my husband many of the things I love to do, and it just strengthens the relationship (except camping where there are spiders. We won't be doing that again. ever.).
Image Image
Heehee! :lol:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 18, 2013 9:48 pm

GOOD LORD, Amy, that photo!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I agree on Splitsville. Even though we haven't gone yet, for the price CMs get, it's definitely worth it. Even regular guests get a decent deal on it.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 7:45 am

Oh my, Amy... I can guarantee it would be optional if hubby encountered that critter. I think I would politely try to brush it off... TP is not optional for me.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 19, 2013 7:47 am

Soarin08 wrote:GOOD LORD, Amy, that photo!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I agree on Splitsville. Even though we haven't gone yet, for the price CMs get, it's definitely worth it. Even regular guests get a decent deal on it.
You are welcome ;) What are the prices for bowling Soarin'? I've seen the menus and the food looks to be on par with the rest of the parks as far as price.
cy1229 wrote:Oh my, Amy... I can guarantee it would be optional if hubby encountered that critter. I think I would politely try to brush it off... TP is not optional for me.
Couldn't resist ~ heehee! I don't know what I would do. Hopefully I would see that big of a spider before even sitting down :shock: If you ran fast enough, you could sort of drip and dry ;) :twisted:

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 7:48 am

I have a feeling it was a "pet" spider that was placed there for a photo opp.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 19, 2013 7:49 am

cy1229 wrote:I have a feeling it was a "pet" spider that was placed there for a photo opp.
That doesn't look like a pet :shock: But I'm sure you are probably right. Or there was some photoshopping involved. Although...there were lots of pretty green frogs in the bathrooms in Australia!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Tue 19, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks! Yea it was actually something that came up late. We had planned on hitting at least 1 park but my gf had a serious tooth issue and was in a lot of pain and on meds so after we went to Universal on our trip down we decided that we were going to take things day by day. We went to a couple spring training games and on the days we didn't decided we wanted to do some relaxing stuff and not run around a theme park. She's never been on property much since she was 6 and this was my chance to take her all around and show her things. We figured that would be nice and we're setting up a 7 day trip to hit all the parks. It was just really nice to be able to relax with her and show her my favorite places to go around the property.

Splitsville is great for non CMs so I can imagine how great it would be for CMs! It's $15 per person for an hour for 2 people (incudes shoes). The amount of time goes up depending on how many people you have. If you have 4 I think its 75 minutes, etc. They give you an extra 5 minutes to get yourself set up. We were upstairs. We were able to do 3 1/2 games in that time and it would have been a full 4 but we had a family come in to the lanes next to us and that slows you down. Also, there were only 2 balls that my gf felt comfortable using by our lanes and the kids held them like they were gold so that really slowed us down. But still, there are a lot worse things you can spend $30 on at Disney than spending a hour bowling IMO. Also, we weren't charged for our drinks (sodas) and I didn't see them on the price list at the table by our lane.

I think the way they set it up is perfect too! It's not just 30 lanes in a row. There are 5 here, 4 there, 6 there, 5 here, etc. So you don't have a ton of people near you and you can enjoy it without a TON of noise. You don't really hear the noise like you do at a normal ally too. It's more muted. You really don't hear the other lanes much at all other than the ones right near you.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 19, 2013 11:28 am

Metalfan wrote:Thanks! Yea it was actually something that came up late. We had planned on hitting at least 1 park but my gf had a serious tooth issue and was in a lot of pain and on meds so after we went to Universal on our trip down we decided that we were going to take things day by day. We went to a couple spring training games and on the days we didn't decided we wanted to do some relaxing stuff and not run around a theme park. She's never been on property much since she was 6 and this was my chance to take her all around and show her things. We figured that would be nice and we're setting up a 7 day trip to hit all the parks. It was just really nice to be able to relax with her and show her my favorite places to go around the property.

Splitsville is great for non CMs so I can imagine how great it would be for CMs! It's $15 per person for an hour for 2 people (incudes shoes). The amount of time goes up depending on how many people you have. If you have 4 I think its 75 minutes, etc. They give you an extra 5 minutes to get yourself set up. We were upstairs. We were able to do 3 1/2 games in that time and it would have been a full 4 but we had a family come in to the lanes next to us and that slows you down. Also, there were only 2 balls that my gf felt comfortable using by our lanes and the kids held them like they were gold so that really slowed us down. But still, there are a lot worse things you can spend $30 on at Disney than spending a hour bowling IMO. Also, we weren't charged for our drinks (sodas) and I didn't see them on the price list at the table by our lane.

I think the way they set it up is perfect too! It's not just 30 lanes in a row. There are 5 here, 4 there, 6 there, 5 here, etc. So you don't have a ton of people near you and you can enjoy it without a TON of noise. You don't really hear the noise like you do at a normal ally too. It's more muted. You really don't hear the other lanes much at all other than the ones right near you.
Thanks for the description of Splitsville ~ in all the reviews and things I have read about it, I've never heard that about the lanes all being spread out. That does sound nice! I probably wouldn't bowl on vacation, but I might go there when I move down there :D That's pretty nice if soft drinks are included in the price as well.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 11:30 am

CMs get 20% before 4pm and after 10pm, I believe. Shoe rental still included. $15 is a steal.

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Mar Tue 19, 2013 11:45 am

Amy wrote:
Metalfan wrote:Thanks! Yea it was actually something that came up late. We had planned on hitting at least 1 park but my gf had a serious tooth issue and was in a lot of pain and on meds so after we went to Universal on our trip down we decided that we were going to take things day by day. We went to a couple spring training games and on the days we didn't decided we wanted to do some relaxing stuff and not run around a theme park. She's never been on property much since she was 6 and this was my chance to take her all around and show her things. We figured that would be nice and we're setting up a 7 day trip to hit all the parks. It was just really nice to be able to relax with her and show her my favorite places to go around the property.

Thanks for the description of Splitsville ~ in all the reviews and things I have read about it, I've never heard that about the lanes all being spread out. That does sound nice! I probably wouldn't bowl on vacation, but I might go there when I move down there :D That's pretty nice if soft drinks are included in the price as well.
Yea I can understand that. It's just something that we did because we had never been bowling together before and it was enjoyable. After going we decided that each time we go to Disney we're gonna do it just because it's a lot of fun and a nice way to relax and spend a hour! There are 2 levels. The first floor has 10 lanes (I believe that's it) and they are spread outwith 6 on 1 side then stuff in the middle and then another 4. Ours upstairs had 5 and if you looked to the right you'd see it set up like it was downstairs with about 5 lanes and then another 5 separated by bathrooms and other things. I love the set up.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Mar Tue 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Soarin08 wrote:CMs get 20% before 4pm and after 10pm, I believe. Shoe rental still included. $15 is a steal.
So your up for a challenge next time we are over? :lol:

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Apr Mon 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Have a great September trip! Nothing better than going with someone who has never been, or at least has not been in a long time! Enjoy it!

And how is this the first time I am (remembering at least) hearing about Splitsville!?! Sounds like fun, and not to much cash either!

Metalfan

Post by Metalfan » Apr Mon 01, 2013 2:11 pm

I don't know? I guess a lot of people who go to Disney don't think of going bowling and don't fit it in their schedule. I suggest more people do it. There's a lot worse things to spend $15 a person on at Disney! And really, it's a great place and really enjoyable. Also, they have pool tables where it's $9/hour per table to play. It will definitely be something I fit into my schedule from here on out!