DLP Weekend Trip Report March 1-3, 2013

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

DLP Weekend Trip Report March 1-3, 2013

Post by horizons1 » Mar Sat 09, 2013 10:48 am

On a recent trip to Europe for work I was able to spend a weekend in Disneyland Paris. It was a nice little trip and a treat to get some Disney magic while abroad.

Day 1: Arrival

I was flying into Paris from Barcelona and landed at Orly. I had read online about getting the Disney bus (VEA Shuttles http://vea-shuttle.co.uk/) so I had pre-purchased a one-way ticket. The buses run pretty frequently and one pulled up right as I walked out of the terminal. It turned out to be just "dropping off" but the bus driver let me get aboard as he went around to the other airport stops and finally we were on our way. An hour and a half later (it was rush hour) and we were out in the beautiful rolling fields of Marne-La-Vallee.

Entering the Disney property in France is a bit surreal. It feels a bit like Florida in that there is some control over construction within the perimeter. Everything within the resort is much more compact, though.

I booked two nights at the Hotel Cheyenne based largely upon price (least expensive Disney hotel). I was given a room in Soaring Eagle, bldg 22, which is facing the river but a bit on the far side for walking to the parks. Check-in was friendly and fast, although I am not sure why I had to hand write my registration card in the 21st century.

Room was clean, except for some cleaning rags left behind the TV. They were removed the second day.

Internet access required putting down a deposit and then they enabled the access. Cable was disconnected. I had to move the dresser and figure out how the Internet and TV shared a router in order to hook it up right. Internet kept dropping and I paid for the premium. I hear they are putting WIFI in all the hotel lobbies which will help. Did I mention it's the 21st century?

The bed was firm, almost hard, but comfortable. It was March and freezing outside. The room heater is located under the bathroom counter so you have to be careful not to put any liquids/gels that can melt on that side of the counter. No climate control but there was a ceiling fan. Shower pressure was great and water was always hot enough.

Breakfast was typical and a good assortment. Although they gave me a "reservation" card I found that, traveling alone, I could just walk in any time and help myself.

The hotel layout is straightforward. I thought it was a bit strange that you have to walk around the main building to get to the rooms, rather than through the lobby to a back door. But the back doors are attached to the restaurant and bar so you can cut through there. Also lots of cement instead of more period-realistic dirt for obvious reasons, but the amount of concrete kind of detracted from the Western feel.

As it was evening when I arrived, I took a walk over to the Disney Village but took a little detour to see my neighboring hotel, The Santa Fe. Actually, I got a bit turned around and walked over to the Santa Fe thinking I had to go that way to get to the Village, but it worked out as I wanted to see it anyway. :)

The Santa Fe is very much themed as the name implies, a Southwestern U.S. collection of buildings of architecture common to New Mexico and Arizona. The main building is set up out front like you are at an old-fashioned drive-in theater. A fake movie screen on top of the building faces the lobby parking lot which is arranged so the cars fan out and face the screen as if they were parked in a real drive-in. Even the little lamp posts are reminiscent of drive-in speakers. Cute.

From the Santa Fe (which looked fine as a place to stay, I might add) I made my way along the patch to the Disney Village. The walk took about 15 minutes. The Village is similar to the Downtown Disneys in the States. It's small, with just one short straight path of mostly restaurants. I ate at the "Steakhouse" which was themed to early-20th Century Chicago.

France is big on combining food items into a "menu" or packaged price. I had a salad and chicken dinner which cost about 30 Euros. A note about soft drinks - Cokes are really expensive. We are talking 4-5 Euros as not uncommon. I think in the parks they were around 3 Euros, which with the exchange rate is a killer. Bottled water isn't any better. Anyway, while the food prices seemed good throughout, keep in mind the drink factor. Anyway, back to dinner - I had a glass of wine (7 Euros) and the meal was quite nice. The waiter was fast and attentive. The food was good, and the two couples on either side of me seemed to enjoy their meals as well. They seemed to sit me in a kid-free zone which might have just been coincidence but it was nice anyway.

After dinner I took a slow walk back to the hotel, checking out the other hotels along the way. Attached to the Village is a large rectangular body of water (Lac Disney) with three hotels facing its shores. The lake is fed by the river that runs between the Cheyenne and Santa Fe, making all five hotels feel connected. I am not counting the sixth, Disneyland Hotel, as it is way over at the park entrance.

You can tell when Disneyland Paris was built because they borrowed heavily from the look and feel of WDW in the design of the three main hotels. The Newport Bay Club hotel is a yellow, seven-story version of the Yacht and Beach Club. Here are some pics:

You could almost swear you were back in Florida.

Similar too, Disney's Sequoia Lodge looked like a cross between the Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Californian, especially with its craftsman architecture of straight lines mixed with stone. Very cozy inside with a large fireplace in the bar area.

The third hotel on the lake is the Hotel New York, which looks like the Swan and Dolphin. Makes sense because I think it was the same architect. The New York hotel had a big ice rink out front in their Rockefeller Square area but I saw people on roller blades instead of ice skates. It was very cold there, however, with some small clumps of snow all around the resort.

I headed back to my room and enjoyed a good night's sleep, which was good considering the big day in the parks I had in store for me! More next time.

The one thing that was missing from the overall feel was the lack of water transport or any other activity on the lake and river.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: DLP Weekend Trip Report March 1-3, 2013

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Cool start to your report horizons1 :D That is nice that you got to wander around and take some photos. I suppose DLP could have used some straw colored pavement to help with the authenticity of the streets of your hotel. And maybe some imprints of straw!
I still haven't looked back in my travel diary to be certain, but seeing the different hotels here, I'm almost positive I stayed in the Sequoia Lodge. That is eerie how much the Newport Bay Club looks like WDW!

When you say you had a reservation card for your breakfast at your hotel, do you mean there was a certain time you were supposed to go? And was it a help yourself buffet, or more like the counter services at the Value resorts in WDW where you ordered and then went to a central location to pay? I don't remember my meals at DLP very well at all. The only thing that sticks out in my mind was one meal where I ordered the kid's pizza meal and they were very snooty while they were explaining I could not order an "enfant" meal as I was not an "enfant" I stuck to my guns, as they had no idea if I was ordering for my child that was sitting and waiting at the table or not :roll: and enjoyed my little Mickey Mouse shaped cheese pizza, frozen yogurt bar and coke :mickey: I don't remember the beverage prices either, but that doesn't surprise me. I think I probably stuck with tap water unless I was ordering a meal that came with a beverage. I do remember that in Africa the price of a bottle of Coke was very similar to a bottle of water, so I usually splurged and had a Coke with dinner.
That bread basket at your dinner sure looks yummy :D
Can't wait to see more :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Sat 09, 2013 1:11 pm

I agree that Newport was probably a refresh of the Beach/Yacht Club EPCOT resorts. After all, if it worked so well there, why not build another at DLP? Same happened in reverse too; after the Sequoia was built at DLP, then we got the Wilderness Lodge at WDW, follwed by the Grand Cal at DLR. You can blame them for re-using a mold again if it worked so well the first time? I've been wondering why the Cheyenne hasn't been duplicated at WDW yet.

The soft drink prices has been a problem for decades, mi amigo. It was that way back when I was there in the 1990's. For the price of a six-pack of cokes here in the USA you just got one can of coke in Europe. The other odd think I remember was that Coke back then didn't taste the same in the UK as it did in France. UK Coke was flat, very low on carbonation, and had nasty slick aftertaste. I tried to convince somebody I met over there at that time that UK Coke taste like crap so when I got back to the USA I mailed him a six-pack of USA Coke (shipping was less expensive back then). He wrote me a letter back admitting I was right. BTW do they still have Orangina over there?

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Mar Sat 09, 2013 8:46 pm

It's almost eerie seeing those empty streets. I'm sure it gets more packed during busier times, but wow. It's almost like they could have narrowed the streets a little more to improve the aesthetics. Great details in the report, though! Look forward to reading more!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Sat 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Amy wrote:...And maybe some imprints of straw!
When you say you had a reservation card for your breakfast at your hotel, do you mean there was a certain time you were supposed to go? And was it a help yourself buffet, or more like the counter services at the Value resorts in WDW where you ordered and then went to a central location to pay?
Imprints of straw. Genius! I never thought of that. They could have at least done horseshoe imprints like they have in Frontierland.

And right, I had a reservation for a specific time, 9:15. I neglected to mention that they let hotel guests into Disneyland 2 hours early. Only Fantasyland and Discoveryland are open, but I still didn't want to miss that by waiting so long for breakfast. So I walked in through the bar (not deliberately - I didn't know where the entrance was) and helped myself. It is a buffet. Cereals, breads (of course), fruit, pretty sure no egg dishes but corn flakes were fine by me.
mindflipper wrote:You can blame them for re-using a mold again if it worked so well the first time?
BTW do they still have Orangina over there?
Totally agree Mind. I would do the same thing. It is freaky though how similar Newport Bay Club and New York look & feel like their Florida counterparts. And I didn't see Orangina anywhere. Pretty easy to find Fanta though.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Sun 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Day 2: In the parks

March 2 was FREEZING in Paris. I mean, literally below zero. During the day, it "warmed up" to the low '40's I think at best. Despite the cold, however, there were a healthy number of people in the parks.

I bought a 20th anniversary 1-day, 2-park ticket for $78 after seeing this offered through the UK version of the DLRP website for GBP50. Despite being slightly cheaper had I bought it in GBP (about 3-4 bucks) I could not make the purchase online with a US address on the UK site. No biggie, it still seemed like a good deal. The anniversary ticket, BTW, is only good through the end of March.

Ticket in hand, I made my way to the front of the Hotel Cheyenne and enjoyed a short 2-minute bus ride over to the transit depot adjacent to the RER train station. The bus, one of those articulated extended jobs, arrived promptly and was quite clean. Like I said, the ride was short, and we didn't need to stop at any other resorts en route which was nice.

I arrived at the DL entrance around 9am. Walking through Main Street was like coming home. One thing you will notice as you go throughout Disneyland Paris is that this is a PROPER Disneyland. Built during the heady and most optimistic Eisner years, this park has so much love and attention to detail it is crazy. It's really a beautiful park.

Since only Discoveryland and Fantasyland were open for early entry, I did what everyone else without small kids did and headed over to Space Mountain: Mission 2. I found the ride fun and enjoyable, although the over-the-shoulder harnesses you have to wear due to the looping nature of the ride are abusive on your ears. I always hate that.

I stopped for a bit to enjoy the mighty Hyperion, as I am the only person I know who has seen The Island At The Top of the World. Not just that, I like the movie and have seen it several times. It's nice to see this movie acknowledged in such a nice setting, even though pretty much everyone there probably just sees it as a decoration.

I walked over to the castle to be in a good position at rope drop to get a fast pass for Big Thunder. While killing a few minutes, I paid a visit to the dragon under Sleeping Beauty Castle. What a cool animatronic!

At 10am, after the welcome announcement in about six languages, I went straight to BTMRR and grabbed a fast pass (the queue was already long from all the people who could shortcut from the other side of Main Street.) Then I experienced Phantom Manor. That is awesome! While the first half is very similar to what we know and love about the Haunted Mansion, the second half is unique and very cool. I won't give anything away. At the end, however, the ghosts that were supposed to be riding in the cars with the guests must've taken the day off. Riders were forced to see the scariest thing of all - their own reflections. Duh Duh!

After Phantom Manor, I checked out Indiana Jones. LAME. It's a looping carnival coaster with some medium-level theming. On the positive side, I walked on the attraction with no wait. Apparently, everyone knows not to rush over here.

It was now 11am and about time for my BTMRR fast pass. Big Thunder is just as fun as the American versions. The best part, I think, is the end. Since the station is on the shore of the river but the bulk of the ride is on the island, you have to go under the river at the beginning and end of the ride. The final swoop into the tunnel is so smooth and fast it was delightful.

Now, having been outdoors for most of the morning, it was getting dang chilly and my head was numb. So I walked back over to Discoveryland and took a tour of Nemo's well-heated submarine. Nuclear power is delightfully comfortable on chilly days. Having thawed, I grabbed lunch in Cafe Hyperion and sat up top in the Videopolis theater. That theater is crazy-big. They were just playing video loops of animated shorts. No shows.

After lunch I took a leisurely stroll through Fantasyland, enjoying the pretty buildings and nice decor. The balk walkway between Discoveryland and Fantasyland is not very pretty though.

While in Fantasyland I rode Le Pays des Contes de Fées, which is their Storybook Land boat ride. Not as well detailed as the California version but still pleasant. Also, despite the sign stating a 45-minute wait, I only waited about 10.

That was the first half of my day at Disneyland. I decided to break up the day by checking out the Walt Disney Studios. I'll tell you about that and the rest of the day in the next installment.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 10, 2013 4:53 pm

I have to admit I am one of the guests who did not know the story behind the airship. I will have to check out that movie some rainy Saturday.
Is the Indiana Jones back to running in forward motion? When I was there in September of 2003, it was running in reverse which made it a little more exciting. But there weren't many people lined up to ride it then either.
I will definitely agree with you on the beauty of DLP. It really is a lovely park. I'm enjoying your photos and am excited to see what you thought of the Studios :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Sun 10, 2013 6:53 pm

March will be freezing at DLP. It's even cold there in May when I visited one time.

There are no ghosts riding with you in the doombuggy at the end of the Phantom Manor. Instead, it's the decaying remnants of the Phantom trying to crawl over the top of the doombuggy to get to you. The effect doesn't work well. I think they should update it to something more visible.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Mon 11, 2013 5:52 pm

No Amy, Indy was going forward. Honestly, I am not sure anything could save that ride!

The Walt Disney Studios was not exciting. Most of the comments about this park are that it's a bit of a let-down. I don't know about that. But it is definitely not a place where you need to spend more then a few hours tops.

The one thing I really wanted to experience, Crush's Coaster, turned out to be the BEST thing about the Studios. What an awesome ride. It is everything a modern Space Mountain should be. Smooth ride, cool lighting, great special effects. It was worth the 90 minute wait in freezing cold air.

The rest of the park, not so much. While waiting for Armageddon (the attraction, not the actual end of the world) I couldn't help but notice all the VERY outdated movie posters. National Treasure? Pearl Harbor? Really? The most recent poster was for the Avengers. The Armageddon special effects show is fun, but sad to see it is video hosted by the late Michael Clarke Duncan. That just made me sad.

Rock N Rollercoaster would have been worth checking out, but the line was crazy long and they don't have a single rider line like the Florida version. So I went and saw Cinemagique instead. Hey, what do you know, ANOTHER Martin Short Disney film. That makes three, counting Canada and The Making of Me. Aside from that, it was an entertaining show and a good way to warm up on a cold day.

On the way out of the park, I stopped for some hot chocolate and enjoyed the view in Studio 1.

Back to Disneyland. I walked around the park. Rode Phantom Manor again. Explored the caverns in Adventureland. Saw the Aladdin walk-through diorama thing. Was disappointed to find Pirates under rehab. Here are some night shots. The quality is decent but these were from my phone, not my camera, so they aren't that sharp.

It was soooo cold, I just couldn't stick around for the fireworks. So I enjoyed the buffet at the Plaza Gardens Restaurant. All you can eat, with FREE SOFT DRINKS. A good selection of food - even escargot for the adventurous. A nice way to end my Disney day.

I took a leisurely stroll back to my hotel, enjoying the evening sights and sounds of Disney Village and the hotels along the way.

Day 3: Departure

I slept in but there was no late checkout. So I was out of my room before 11am after breakfast and took the bus back over to the RER station to catch the train back to Paris. I envy the ease with which Parisians can get to Disneyland. You cannot beat the convenience of the train, especially for visitors.

It was a nice visit.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 11, 2013 6:28 pm

My first time I traveled by train from Paris and back. However, I didn't get back into Paris until after 2 AM! DLP was opened to 1 AM that day I was there. There is nothing more spookier than walking through the underground tunnels of Paris at that hour in the morning. It's a ghost-town. When I got to the hotel the front door was locked! I had to press a button to get somebody to the door and let me in.

Lucky for me, that was August. I wouldn't want to be out at that hour in March. Just tooooooooo cold.

I agree about the Studios. I haven't been, but from looking at the map it seems there is not much there at that park. Some friends from the UK who went around Halloween one year thought the studios too was good "for just a few hours". They need to add more to the Studios. Toy Story Midway Mania wouldn't hurt.

Great report, horizons1!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I liked the Studios when I was there. I think I had a three day pass and probably spent a day in each, and then an extra day over at DL. Like mindflipper I also took the train from Paris and back after my stay at DLP. You just can't beat the convenience of the train dropping you yards from DLP's front gates :D
Thanks for sharing your trip to DLP horizons1!!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I agree on the main park. I found it mostly superior to MK. Plus I did notice there seems to be far fewer strollers and wheelchairs. No tripping over that crap! :roll: And I'm glad you liked the Cheyenne! I'm staying at the Santa Fe in the fall so it was nice to hear you went to visit.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Tue 12, 2013 8:51 am

Soarin08 wrote:I agree on the main park. I found it mostly superior to MK. Plus I did notice there seems to be far fewer strollers and wheelchairs. No tripping over that crap! :roll: And I'm glad you liked the Cheyenne! I'm staying at the Santa Fe in the fall so it was nice to hear you went to visit.
The Santa Fe looked nice so I hope you like it and looking forward to your update later this year!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 12, 2013 10:49 am

Soarin08 wrote:I agree on the main park. I found it mostly superior to MK. Plus I did notice there seems to be far fewer strollers and wheelchairs. No tripping over that crap! :roll:
ZOMG yes. I get so amazingly annoyed at all of those. I had kids, so I don't blame the parents because there's nothing worse than a whiney child who's tired and doesn't want to walk anymore, but is too big to carry everywhere. Still... those of us who are beyond that stage, or ahead of it, don't like them.

I loved all the photos. Too bad it was so stinkin' cold! Sounds like you really made the best of it and had an enjoyable time. I had a stupid thought when you said the buffet line even included escargot. I thought is that a French restaurant? DOH! :roll: :lol:

Thanks for sharing with us. Maybe some day I'll make it to Paris.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Sat 23, 2013 9:48 am

Lol, cy. I had to do a double take on the escargot as well!