Pilgrimage Westward Summer 2013

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Pilgrimage Westward Summer 2013

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 08, 2013 11:44 am

Dates haven't been set yet, but it's official, I'm off to Pasadena to do a workshop with NASA at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory! :D :D :D :donald: :goofy: :donald: :goofy: :donald:

So, I'm going to tag on a few days, fly the husband out, and just the two of us are going to spend a couple days in DLR! Pretty excited, but still cautious, as it all rides on whether we can actually afford it. We'll use points for his plane ticket, and maybe use points to stay at the Hampton, and eat "on the cheap."

Never having been to SoCal at all, let alone DLR, I don't know what to expect or not expect. I know it's smaller, and several people told me over in the DisneyLand post that the size isn't much of a factor because there's still plenty to do and see. We're planning on one day in Disneyland, and another day in California Adventure. I know we won't cover everything completely but we are hoping we can hit all of the highlights and most of the other stuff.

Any suggestions, precautions, etc? We'll be there either the end of June or the second week in July.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Pilgrimage Westward Summer 2013

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Whoo~hoo!! It is hard to say what is more exciting about this information...the chance to work with NASA or go to DL. It might be a tie, with a slight edge to NASA since I've always dreamt of being an astronaut :D
I'm thinking it will be pretty crowded at that time of year. The nice thing is although it will probably be hot, it won't be humid like it would be in Florida. And you will be amazed at how easy it is to get around. DL is so much smaller than WDW.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Amy wrote:Whoo~hoo!! It is hard to say what is more exciting about this information...the chance to work with NASA or go to DL. It might be a tie, with a slight edge to NASA since I've always dreamt of being an astronaut :D
I'm thinking it will be pretty crowded at that time of year. The nice thing is although it will probably be hot, it won't be humid like it would be in Florida. And you will be amazed at how easy it is to get around. DL is so much smaller than WDW.
The NASA staff I work with are people who work in solar science at the Solar Sciences Laboratory in Berkeley. They're so super duper smart - I feel humbled and honored at the same time to be able to work side-by-side with them, educating teachers. It is a little intimidating, but it keeps me on my game, and makes me make sure I know exactly what the frack I'm talking about. :) And, there is likely a tour of JPL in the works... stay tuned!

So we'll probably be doing a Fri-Sat tour, with hubby flying in on Thursday night and then us going home on Sunday. I'm thinking we should do DCA first, and DLR second, so we can make sure to get to the racing thing at Carsland. Talking about DLR is so foreign, I feel like I'm making half of it up! :lol: But we'll see what we do. The draw to DLR might be too much to resist the first day.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 08, 2013 2:46 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:Whoo~hoo!! It is hard to say what is more exciting about this information...the chance to work with NASA or go to DL. It might be a tie, with a slight edge to NASA since I've always dreamt of being an astronaut :D
The NASA staff I work with are people who work in solar science at the Solar Sciences Laboratory in Berkeley. They're so super duper smart - I feel humbled and honored at the same time to be able to work side-by-side with them, educating teachers. It is a little intimidating, but it keeps me on my game, and makes me make sure I know exactly what the frack I'm talking about. :) And, there is likely a tour of JPL in the works... stay tuned!

So we'll probably be doing a Fri-Sat tour, with hubby flying in on Thursday night and then us going home on Sunday. I'm thinking we should do DCA first, and DLR second, so we can make sure to get to the racing thing at Carsland. Talking about DLR is so foreign, I feel like I'm making half of it up! :lol: But we'll see what we do. The draw to DLR might be too much to resist the first day.
Since a lot of the cost is the airfare getting out there, you might want to try to swing a third day. Then you can have a dedicated day for each park and an extra day to re-visit some favorites, or see things you miss the first few days.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Tue 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Never been so I can't give any advice...but I think the best part of all that is: just the two of us...
That's awesome!!
Some of my best memories of WDW are just me and the mrs. enjoying each other's company. Sounds great...lets hope it's a great trip with lots of pics...!!!! ;)
:D

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Wed 09, 2013 4:00 pm

This is very exciting!

You will LOVE DLR and I think it will give you a new found love of WDW.

Although DL is smaller than MK, it is laid out in a way that keeps it from feeling smaller. The paths that wind through the lands do a much better job of keeping you focused on what is immediately around you. You also have the Matterhorn...which helps separate Tomorrowland from Fantasyland. The attractions are much more packed together than you see at MK, which you may or may not like. My favorite part of the park is New Orleans Square. It is beautiful and has so much charm. I'm sure you've already heard about how awesome POTC is there...but it really is a lot better than its MK counterpart. Make sure you ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride while you're there...and the Indiana Jones ride as well.

Have you used any of the information on TouringPlans.com before? If so...disregard the rest of this...if not then read on. They are a huge help for me in my planning/touring at WDW...and I know they have tons of info on DLR. If DW and I ever get a chance to get out to DLR, we will definitely be getting as much info from Touring Plans as we can. If you decide to get a subscription to TouringPlans.com...I have a discount code I can send you to save you 20%. After getting the subscription, you can download their app from iTunes/Google and then have access to wait times for everything as well as menus for all restaurants and snack carts. Of course you would also have access to their touring plans, which help you save a ton of time waiting in lines. Anway...let me know if you need any additional info or the discount code.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 09, 2013 5:41 pm

So excited for you cy1229!!!!

I agree with BIG as far as touringplans.com goes...we had the subscription for 2011/2012 since we actually were going to parks. But since we currently have no trip planned, we let it lapse. I think only costs $14/year for both parks (I think that's what we paid) so it's very affordable. We found it more useful for WDW than DL, but we are much more familiar with DLR.

DL definitely has more charm than MK and yes, it is much smaller square footage-wise, but there's a lot packed into the park! I suggest that if you want to do anything in Fantasyland, tackle that first thing in the morning because as the day wears on, it gets swamped. It is liable to be quite crowded since you'd be going in the summer, and with large crowds in a smaller park several bottlenecks tend to happen.
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is a great spot to cool off in the middle/most crowded part of the day and is hardly ever full (though maybe since the release of the new movie there is an influx of visitors). The pre-show area of the theatre has some nice exhibits featuring Disneyland history, as long as they haven't changed it.
As far as DCA goes, the last time we were there, Carsland and Buena Vista Street were still under construction so the only advice I can give you about Carsland is what I've heard from others...go to Radiator Springs Racers first. Also, be sure to grab a FastPass for World of Color (after getting RSR FPs). Yellow and Blue are the best sections to view the show from my experience...unfortunately, you have no say in what color section you get. Also, don't be afraid to check out World of Color from the splash zone. I love the up close view of the show and all the details that can't be appreciated from the back. Yes, you will likely get wet but sometimes it's a soaker and other times it's just a mist. I really depends on the wind during the show. But on a summer night, it might feel refreshing! :D

Pasadena is gorgeous (say hello to Sheldon and Penny ;) ) and is about 45ish minutes away from DLR but it's pretty simple to get there. It's awesome that you will be working with NASA folks! It sounds like an amazing trip!

I love to help, so questions are welcomed! It's been almost 2 years since we've been there, so I know some stuff has changed, but I'll do my best. :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Wed 09, 2013 9:11 pm

I bought a Touring Plans membership when we were planning our WDW trip in October. I didn't realize it included FOR too. I'll check it out!

I appreciate all the input and suggestions. Our dates are confirmed, June . 27-30 is when we will be in Anaheim. Hubby will be flying in late-ish the 27th and we'll go home Sunday the 30th. We're not opposed to a later flight as he is taking Monday off and I work from home So sleeping in for jet lag isn't an issue. Boss gave me clearance to rent a fun car like a convertible! Woot!

Edit: I really HATE using FB on my Kindle. It not only autocorrects everything, if you are typing something that it doesn't recognize, it substitutes something it thinks you should have said instead. GRRRRR

What I meant was I didn't know Touring Plans included DLR. And I took a look, downloaded the DLR-specific app to my phone, signed in, and it's all good to go! Yay! Thanks for the info you guys!
Last edited by cy1229 on Jan Thu 10, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 09, 2013 9:30 pm

cy1229 wrote:I bought a Touring Plans membership when we were planning our WDW trip in October. I didn't realize it included FOR too. I'll check it out!

I appreciate all the input and suggestions. Our dates are confirmed, June . 27-30 is when we will be in Anaheim. Hubby will be flying in late-ish the 27th and we'll go home Sunday the 30th. We're not opposed to a later flight as he is taking Monday off and I work from home So sleeping in for jet lag isn't an issue. Boss gave me clearance to rent a fun car like a convertible! Woot!
Whoo~hoo. Nothing better than a convertible in the California sunshine :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 09, 2013 11:11 pm

One thing I forgot to mention as another great way to cool off/get away from the crowds...over in DCA, the Aladdin show is fantastic and lasts about 45 minutes.

If you have a convertible, then a jaunt down Highway 1 (a.k.a the Pacific Coast Highway...or PCH) is in order! :D

Sounds like an amazing trip!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Fri 11, 2013 12:49 am

I think I have pretty much given you all my pointers from being there Nov. 28 to Dec. 2. We did 3 days with an almost equal split between the two. I think your best option will be to hit the parks on weekdays as I did notice that come Friday afternoon the crowd levels started to increase exponentially to a near capacity Saturday afternoon. You will definitely need to start immediately at rope drop for both parks. Disneyland park just has a large amount of attractions that you will need a whole day if you want to at least experience most. California Adventure is a must at rope drop so you can make sure you experience radiator springs racers. I would say try and hit it first thing so you can get on stand by and then loop back for the fast pass or vice versa. Keep an eye on the park schedules for parades and shows. You will definitely want to see Soundsational Parade (from what I heard. That was not running due to the Christmas parade) World of Color, Fantasmic, and Fireworks. If they are doing Fantasmic when you are there you will want to do the fireworks and then fantasmic as you will never be able to do both if you do it the other way around. Food in DLR (from my experience) is not as good as WDW. My favorite restaurant out of the four nights we ate on DLR property was the Big Thunder Ranch.

Finally, when you are in California stop off at the In-N-Out burger and have a double-double :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Thu 17, 2013 5:39 pm

How excited! :) My DLR trip is tentatively set for next year but until then, time to live vicariously as you plan!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Sat 02, 2013 12:03 am

Well, we decided tonight that we have too many other, more important things to finance that are making this trip impossible. So with a heavy heart we are canceling our trip this summer. With younger daughter's room redo, and older daughter's books, senior prom, announcements,portraits to have printed, and graduation parties, not to mention the Europe trip...

Unless someone has a money tree we can borrow.

Sigh...
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Sat 02, 2013 8:18 am

Bummer! :( Wait Europe? Fill me it!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 02, 2013 8:40 am

cy1229 wrote:Well, we decided tonight that we have too many other, more important things to finance that are making this trip impossible. So with a heavy heart we are canceling our trip this summer. With younger daughter's room redo, and older daughter's books, senior prom, announcements,portraits to have printed, and graduation parties, not to mention the Europe trip...

Unless someone has a money tree we can borrow.

Sigh...
:( That stinks. I hate when being responsible and thinking ahead has to prevail. Hopefully you will have another chance in the very near future. We need to start buying Indiana lottery tickets ~ we can split the grand prize!
On that same note, I'm thinking our bonus vacation with my brother's airline miles won't be appearing either :(