Staying off Disney property

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

mjmcsl4me
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Staying off Disney property

Post by mjmcsl4me » Jan Thu 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Oh so is it okay for us to stay in a one BR condo rules-wise? I am just used to Disney rules of where we have to stay with six people and what's not allowed. The cheapest for us right now at Disney is a one BR room at Port Orleans Riverside because they have a pull down trundle and we use a pack-n-play for the youngest. This runs us like 1500 bucks. Yes I will definitely look at the numbers again and see how much one room will run us. And I will check on that Holiday Inn also. Thanks again guys!

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Jan Thu 03, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't own DVC but I am a Hilton Vacation club owner. It made sense for me, but I know it doesn't make sense for everyone. Thanks to BIG's post, I am now completely won over by the renting DVC points for the years I don't have Hilton points (I have a 3 bedroom unit one week every even year - so I only pay maintenance fees every other year).

If renting DVC points doesn't work out (but I hope it does because the bubble is part of the magic to be sure), have you considered renting a house in the area? My family of 5 adults (parents, myself and 2 siblings) rented a great house many years ago from Fred Hallam at http://www.floridarentals.com. We absolutely loved having the private screened & heated pool (it was January) and full kitchen. I see that Fred has added hot tubs to the properties. Nice touch. He was super friendly, easy to deal with, and has an excellent rating on Vacation Rentals by Owner (VRBO.com). And it was definitely cheaper (I remember it being about $1100 for the week) than renting 3-4 hotel rooms or a suite on site ($1500-$2500).

Sometimes when you add the rental car & parking costs, it makes staying off-site more expensive. But not always. Break out the spreadsheets and see how it all falls.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Tue 15, 2013 8:46 am

MmeLeota wrote:I've heard about renting DVC points as well, though we've never actually done it.
I've also read about hotels that are within walking distance to DTD...which could still give you a sense of being on property while not actually being on property.
Agreed. Hotel Plaza is very nice. We have stayed at the Hilton and the Marriott. It is right by Crossroads, if you want cheaper food off property, and then DTD is across the street.

mjmcsl4me

Post by mjmcsl4me » Feb Thu 07, 2013 11:14 am

Well I thought I would give an update since it's been awhile. Thanks again everybody for all the tips and help, I appreciate it! We have decided instead of a much wanted Disney trip, we are in the market to buy a house, this time looking for a much wanted four bedroom. It's a good thing but still just love planning a Disney trip. Of course the planning of buying a house would be better if I could mix in buying a house near the Mouse right? Of course DH would have to have a job for some reason :roll: :wink: :lol: Speaking of jobs, anyone know of any jobs in metrology or strategic planner positions? :D :wink: I just look at what is available in our area price-wise compared to what's available in the Disney area and it's a big difference. Of course, I don't know what areas are better than others in Florida to live. Thanks again though guys for all the tips! Still hoping for a Disney trip in the future :mickey:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Feb Thu 07, 2013 11:30 am

mjmcsl4me wrote:Well I thought I would give an update since it's been awhile. Thanks again everybody for all the tips and help, I appreciate it! We have decided instead of a much wanted Disney trip, we are in the market to buy a house, this time looking for a much wanted four bedroom. It's a good thing but still just love planning a Disney trip. Of course the planning of buying a house would be better if I could mix in buying a house near the Mouse right? Of course DH would have to have a job for some reason :roll: :wink: :lol: Speaking of jobs, anyone know of any jobs in metrology or strategic planner positions? :D :wink: I just look at what is available in our area price-wise compared to what's available in the Disney area and it's a big difference. Of course, I don't know what areas are better than others in Florida to live. Thanks again though guys for all the tips! Still hoping for a Disney trip in the future :mickey:
MICHIGAN! :lol: I was just back "home" in northwest Lower Michigan where I spent a few weeks every summer as a kid and was re-reminded how much I love that place. I posted a few pics on my Facebook page if you want to take a gander.

As far as affordability is concerned, it's pretty difficult to beat the Midwest. With the exception of Chicagoland, housing is amazingly affordable, and so is everything else. It's just a question if you can handle the weather fluctuations. Obviously some people on these boards can't handle it. :)

I'm happy you're buying a house the size you need, but also sad, too, that you're not going to be able to do the Disney trip you want to do. :( Bummer.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Feb Thu 07, 2013 1:29 pm

mjmcsl4me wrote:Well I thought I would give an update since it's been awhile. Thanks again everybody for all the tips and help, I appreciate it! We have decided instead of a much wanted Disney trip, we are in the market to buy a house, this time looking for a much wanted four bedroom. It's a good thing but still just love planning a Disney trip. Of course the planning of buying a house would be better if I could mix in buying a house near the Mouse right? Of course DH would have to have a job for some reason :roll: :wink: :lol: Speaking of jobs, anyone know of any jobs in metrology or strategic planner positions? :D :wink: I just look at what is available in our area price-wise compared to what's available in the Disney area and it's a big difference. Of course, I don't know what areas are better than others in Florida to live. Thanks again though guys for all the tips! Still hoping for a Disney trip in the future :mickey:
Yep, I know how hard that decision can be. I just bought my first house (hopefully my last too) and the only reason I could swing a Disney trip was that I bought a vacation package when I was feeling pretty dejected about finding a place I could afford. Then a month later it all just magically came together. So I got a home of my own and a trip to Disney. But it will be the last trip for a few years...
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Thu 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Sometimes it stinks being a grownup and making grownup decisions. Hope you can find a house that works out to be just the right one for you. If you can find one in Florida ~ all the better! :D

Searlproudbottom
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Searlproudbottom » Feb Tue 12, 2013 2:30 pm

A couple things to keep in mind

Old Key West has the largest rooms at the lowest cost of points per night.
It is also one of the easiest resorts to make reservations at 7 months out.
if you utilize the full kitchen as we do you can save a bundle on food.

If you have any questions regarding the DVC I would be more than happy to help.
I am a DVC member and not only have I rented out my points but I have rented points from other members as well.

Searl

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Fri 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Searlproudbottom wrote:A couple things to keep in mind

I am a DVC member and not only have I rented out my points but I have rented points from other members as well.

Searl
I agree...OKW is my favorite DVC resort...DW's too. We love how peaceful it is...and being spread out gives it a little more charm. We would grab a drink in our room...and then just walk from there to the main bus stop...enjoying the walk. It really was the perfect place to feel like you were NOT near a themepark...and could relax.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Fri 15, 2013 5:01 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:

Searl
I agree...OKW is my favorite DVC resort...DW's too. We love how peaceful it is...and being spread out gives it a little more charm. We would grab a drink in our room...and then just walk from there to the main bus stop...enjoying the walk. It really was the perfect place to feel like you were NOT near a themepark...and could relax.
I third this. The roomies have DVC and we rented out a two bedroom villa there last summer. Absolutely loved it.

mjmcsl4me

Post by mjmcsl4me » May Sat 18, 2013 7:28 am

Well I thought I would come back and give an update. God has blessed us with a house and we will be moving soon! We are so excited! Thanks for all the tips and help! Now here's to working out that Disney trip next year Lord willing :D :mickey:
Last edited by mjmcsl4me on May Sat 18, 2013 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 18, 2013 7:29 am

mjmcsl4me wrote:Well I thought I would come back and give an update. God has blessed us with a house and we will be moving soon! We are so excited! Thanks for all the tips and help! Now here's to working out that Disney trip next year Lord willing :D :mickey:
That is great news! Hooray :D

mjmcsl4me

Post by mjmcsl4me » May Sat 18, 2013 7:43 am

Amy wrote:
mjmcsl4me wrote:Well I thought I would come back and give an update. God has blessed us with a house and we will be moving soon! We are so excited! Thanks for all the tips and help! Now here's to working out that Disney trip next year Lord willing :D :mickey:
Thanks Amy! Now onto planning our home in Disney themes :mickey:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 18, 2013 8:53 am

mjmcsl4me wrote:
Amy wrote:
Thanks Amy! Now onto planning our home in Disney themes :mickey:
Cool! I can hear your visitors now, "When we visit, can we stay in Tomorrowland?" ;) :lol:

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » May Mon 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Searl

That is sooooo true on meals. It costs a small fortune to eat at Disney unless you hit the free dining plan. We have always brought a small carry on filled with breafast foods so we would not have to buy breakfast.(except one day at Chef Mickey). then you have an empty bag for all your Disney purchases. :goofy: