Candlelight Procession

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Candlelight Procession

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Fri 14, 2012 2:23 am

My mom and I went in advance to Disneyland to see if we would be able to get a good viewing spot for the Candlelight Procession because the guest narrator was none other than Dick Van Dyke! So it was a mission for us to get there and find somewhere good to watch and thankfully, we were able to stand in front of City Hall right close to the podium where he would be standing. I didn't get that many great photos on my phone but my digital camera helped immensely! To those that I don't have on Facebook, I'll share some of the photos on here. I don't go back to Disneyland until Monday since I got the lottery tickets for Molly Ringwald's narration but since it was Dick Van Dyke, someone I've grown up with and a true Disney legend, my mom and I had to go. Whenever the choir/musicians sang, he would rock back and forth to the beat of the music and it was an adorable sight to see. He still sounds absolutely amazing and had the pizzazz I can remember with that same bright smile. The photos are huge since I got them from my facebook and I don't feel like resizing because come on, it's Dick Van Dyke and I'm a little lazy right now. :wink:

I'm reposting this from the Subsonic facebook group page because this was just perfect and something magical I will take with me to the grave.
I honestly don't think anything will ever top the fact that I (along with my mom and a group of people we talked with around us while we waited) got to sing happy birthday to Dick Van Dyke right when he first stepped out to the podium and got ALL of Main Street to join in. At first we just shouted happy birthday but then we started to sing it and he was all surprised but so very humbled and all smiles about it. After we finished he went, "Thank you, but it isn't my birthday we are celebrating!" At least after the ceremony ended, the choir was more prepared because they started it off and he got surprised again at the podium! He didn't even expect a second round but was all smiles and thanked the crowd. But to know that you and a few people started it off at random and caught him a bit off guard but left him smiling was the cherry on top of a very incredible day. I don't have any good photos on my phone to post but I will hopefully upload them tonight or tomorrow! Beautiful ceremony, by the way. Well worth the two and a half wait in front of City Hall. 87 looks incredible on him!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Candlelight Procession

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 14, 2012 8:06 am

That is so neat that you and your Mom were able to go see him narrate. Thanks for sharing the photos :D

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Fri 14, 2012 1:19 pm

So awesome!!! I saw a post on FB from a podcast (mousechat.com, I think) and they mentioned how everyone sang happy birthday to him. I remembered seeing the post and thought..."Hey! I know someone who was in on that!" :D Fantastic pictures!

elizabethswann

Post by elizabethswann » Dec Fri 14, 2012 2:03 pm

MmeLeota wrote:So awesome!!! I saw a post on FB from a podcast (mousechat.com, I think) and they mentioned how everyone sang happy birthday to him. I remembered seeing the post and thought..."Hey! I know someone who was in on that!" :D Fantastic pictures!
I still can't believe that we started it! I still am all smiles about that.