Spending Our Inheritance with Our Parents

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Spending Our Inheritance with Our Parents

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Belle1082 wrote:Can I ask how busy it was at the END of your trip?? I get to DW on Saturday and I am concerned that it is going to be more crowded than I thought! Last January when we were there, we were expecting it to be quiet and it was crazy busy! Fingers crossed that it won't be starting this saturday for 8 day! haha
It was busy pretty much every day. Epcot Futureworld wasn't too bad, but the World Showcase was very busy. DHS wasn't too bad unless you're wanting to go to Fantasmic (more about that when I get to that day in my report!) The MK was crazy though. It made me a little nuts. We hung out on Thursday morning for awhile and it was definitely slower but I still felt like there were a lot of people everywhere. For reference, our other trips have been in January, early June, and October. This trip rivaled the crowds, maybe surpassed them, that we saw on our June trip.

Hope that helps!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 25, 2012 6:56 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Belle1082 wrote:Can I ask how busy it was at the END of your trip?? I get to DW on Saturday and I am concerned that it is going to be more crowded than I thought! Last January when we were there, we were expecting it to be quiet and it was crazy busy! Fingers crossed that it won't be starting this saturday for 8 day! haha
It was busy pretty much every day. Epcot Futureworld wasn't too bad, but the World Showcase was very busy. DHS wasn't too bad unless you're wanting to go to Fantasmic (more about that when I get to that day in my report!) The MK was crazy though. It made me a little nuts. We hung out on Thursday morning for awhile and it was definitely slower but I still felt like there were a lot of people everywhere. For reference, our other trips have been in January, early June, and October. This trip rivaled the crowds, maybe surpassed them, that we saw on our June trip.

Hope that helps!
I wonder if the crowds die down a bit after the Food & Wine festival concludes. Unfortunately I think that will be after your trip Belle. Looks like the Food and Wine festival runs until 11/12. I never realized it went that long! :shock:
Ummm, cy1229, I hate to ask, but what is the v/v in your buses answer :?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:

Hope that helps!
I wonder if the crowds die down a bit after the Food & Wine festival concludes. Unfortunately I think that will be after your trip Belle. Looks like the Food and Wine festival runs until 11/12. I never realized it went that long! :shock:
v/v as in vice/versa, meaning buses run from the Contemporary to the parks, and also from the parks to the Contemporary. You had asked me if the monorail and walking were the only options. I don't know that there's a bus from MK to Contemporary or not. Even if there was, I wouldn't take it. THAT would take too long, I think.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Thu 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Awesome reporting and pics cy! We also call it the Tea Cups and I frequently shoot my arms into the air while riding with my kids. I can't help it. I'm sorry that it was so crowded for you guys. I love the strollers pic. I was SOOOO glad when we decided to stop using strollers on our visits. So now we aren't "those people" anymore. I am glad you decided to scrap the touring plans as you can get too stressed out about not keeping to the schedule and it will make you stop enjoying your vacation. Just go with the flow. Thank you for showing off the rooms at the BLT as I will probably never get to stay there. I'm sorry I missed your trip by about a week, but thank you for cooling the weather down for us. 78 is the high on Saturday and 80 for Sunday! Nice!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Good Trip Report, Day Two, part one: Sure, I can go non-stop!

We started the day at the Magic Kingdom. The previous day, Ellie had asked me why we'd never ridden Astro Orbiter. I told her we rode it last time we were there and she again asked me why we'd never ridden it. (Does anyone else have a 14-year-old??? You know what I'm going through...) So, we decided to go ride it before the line got too long since we were there pretty early. It was about a 20-minute wait. However, while waiting, the kids noticed that the line for Space Mountain was only 10 minutes, so... yes, we ditched AO and went to Space Mtn. I don't think Ellie rode AO on this trip, and I'll probably hear about it on our next trip. :) Once on SpMtn was plenty for me but the kids wanted to go again, so we waited for them. In the meantime, my stepdad had gone over to Splash and BTM to see which one should have fast passes, and told us both were essentially walk-ons at 10 minutes each. After the kids finished with SpMtn we walked over to BTM and rode it. Then we went directly to Splash. Jeff and I are on the big side, and we rode in front. I ducked WAAAYYYYY down, and Jeff got SOAKED. :lol: My back got went, and my nephew, sitting behind me, also got wet. Christian told me he wasn't sitting behind me anymore. :lol:

At this point we all were hungry so we headed to Pecos Bill's for lunch. We were glad to come inside to the air conditioning, too, as this day, our first full day and a Sunday, was quite hot and humid. I think the high temperature reached 85 degrees Fahrenheit that day. Very good lunch, and then we were ready to hit the pavement again.

First it was Small World again, then the Haunted Mansion. I noticed some construction going on next to Small World. Anyone know what this is going to be?

We didn't take the queue through the cemetery this time, but went straight through. It was about a 15 minute wait, including the stretching room.

After that my sister took my niece back to the hotel to swim ("When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim?When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim?When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim?When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim?When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim?When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim?When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim? When are we going to swim?") After that we went and rode on Pirates, then the parents took the rest of the kids back to the condo to rest. Jeff and I went to Tiki Room and then scouted out the new Fantasyland expansion. Here are a bunch of photos from that:

Got to see the outside of the new restaurant:

The walkway to the restaurant is lined with light poles with these gargoyles:

A view toward Maurice's cottage

Gaston's Tavern

Gift shop and the china they're using at the BOG restaurant:

These guys played and sang "Happy Birthday" to a dude named Todd:

Ariel's Undersea Adventure was closed, but we got a look at the outside:

At this point, Jeff and I decided to go back to the condo to rest a bit. We had dinner reservations at Mama Melrose and planned to do a bunch at DHS. Stay tuned...
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Thu 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Awesome pics of the New Fantasyland! It's awesome that you got to explore what was open so far. As for the construction by Small World... Nothing too exciting. It's just restroom additions and an expanded queue area for Small World, I believe.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Oh I almost forgot! Here's the menu for Be Our Guest. I hope you can read it!

Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 26, 2012 6:56 am

Wow ~ the new Fantasyland looks really nice! That is the most pictures I have seen of the new area so far :D Those poor gargoyles look very sad though :(
That is too funny about Ellie and the Astro Orbiter! Hopefully you can remember that it was her choice to skip it this time around when she starts asking the next time :roll: :lol: And I can just hear your niece asking to swim 90-million times! :lol: Did you take her to the Nemo show so she could just keep swimming? :nemo:
Love your photos from the Tiki Room. I never get very good photos in there because I'm always afraid the CM will yell at me for taking pictures...
More? More? More??? :D

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Fri 26, 2012 8:41 am

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:

Hope that helps!
UGH. When is it NOT busy there these days? !?!? I was really hoping for a quieter time since on other sites I've seen, historically the week we are going is supposed to be like the 6th slowest week of the year! I just want to be able to go where I'm not literally fighting crowds.
Okay - I have to get it out of my head and stop being negative. Okay I vented now. I'm all better. Thanks everyone! :-)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Belle1082 wrote:UGH. When is it NOT busy there these days? !?!? I was really hoping for a quieter time since on other sites I've seen, historically the week we are going is supposed to be like the 6th slowest week of the year! I just want to be able to go where I'm not literally fighting crowds.
Okay - I have to get it out of my head and stop being negative. Okay I vented now. I'm all better. Thanks everyone! :-)
It does seem to be busier year 'round than it used to be. I'm not sure how long the Food and Wine festival has been held, but I know it seems to grow larger in scope each year. We were surprised at how much busier the parks were when we were there in November and December the past two trips. Those times used to be pretty slow. I guess the trade-off is slightly slower crowds, but much better weather!! :D

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Oct Fri 26, 2012 10:48 pm

One more thing cy... Your pic of the sax dudes singing to Todd reminds me of "Mom and Dad Save the World" where the choir is singing, Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd.... Love that movie... Carry on...

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Oct Sat 27, 2012 10:01 pm

My apologies for posting the same photograph of the gargoyles twice... not sure what went on there except middle-age-heimers. :lol:

Amy, the key to taking good photos in the Tiki Room and other dark attractions without the flash is to set the ISO on your camera really high (I used 1600) and use a wide aperture (I used about f/5.5). Otherwise, you're going to get blurry photos because you can't hold still enough. Even so, I still had a lot of blurry shots, which I won't be posting. :) The blurry shots are part of the reason why we were laughing so hard on Thursday night.

So onward:

Good Trip Report, Day Two, part two: Holy $#%&! Pass the Xanax!

Jeff and I only had about 45 minutes to relax at the condo, and we could have used two hours. However, the time to check some things out at our leisure was well worth it. See, my parents and sister are all about RIDES. Today at lunch, Jeff, the girls, and I were discussing how we would have had more fun if we felt like we could just enjoy the park. However, it was all about seeing which lines were shortest and riding the most rides with my family, and the first couple days, when we all stayed together, I started to feel really frustrated because we were rushing. Day Two was one of those days, and the evening was just about my breaking point.

So anyway, after our 45 minutes of R&R, we all boarded the bus to Hollywood Studios for our 5:15 reservation at Mama Melrose.

When we got there, we quickly got fast passes for RNR, then decided to just see if we could get to our table early, since the wait times for everything else would put us beyond our ADR. So, we shopped a little and waited a lot. Let me tell you, it was WORTH THE WAIT. The only one who wasn't satisfied with the meal was Jeff. He got chicken parmesagna, which came with spaghetti, and the portion was rather small for his bigger appetite. Fortunately for him, my pasta with shrimp, spinach, dried tomatoes, and broccoli, was more than I could handle and he got to finish my food. :) Oh, and I had a chocolate amaretto cheesecake for dessert and it was GOOD. Nope, no food pics. I don't think I took any food pics all trip. I felt weird about that. Sorry, maybe next time...

Next it was Star Tours and let me tell you, I just LOVE the redesign! I am prone to motion sickness, though, and did leave the ride feeling slightly queasy. It could have been owing to me having a very full tummy, but maybe not. So, if you've never done Star Tours, and you're prone to motion sickness, it's not bad, but be aware that you might be somewhat affected by it.

After ST, the kids made their own light sabers - something Meghan had been saying she wanted to do ever since we told the girls about the trip last February. Meghan goes to college next year, and she'll be well protected now. I can rest easy. :lol: And this, my friends, was the end of my easy state of mind.

We decided to walk to the RNR/ToT end of DHS to see if we should do our fast pass or ride ToT, or what.

We interrupt this trip report for a special announcement. Who designed DHS anyway? It's full of dead ends and dead spaces. The most popular attractions are put in squished-in areas, and there's a ton of wasted space. It's NOT NEARLY as efficient as MK, with its circular arrangement. The layout makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. We now return you to our regularly scheduled trip report, already in progress.

Now, we didn't know this, but there were two shows of Fantasmic scheduled that night. As we were walking in that direction, we saw a lot of people standing in the street. I figured (correctly) that it was the line for Fantasmic. We walked just to the left of that horde, and ended up stuck between both the exiting and the queuing crowds!!!!!It was horrible. It was nerve-wracking. Meghan, who hates crowds and gets a little anxious, began to get anxious and panicky. We made a 9-person chain, walking hand-in-hand-in-...-in-hand, through the crowd. My niece, who is a short six-year-old, was frightened. And when we tried to cross over to the sidewalk, we all were separated for a few moments, which seemed like a lot longer. At that point everyone's nerves were shot. We made it to the "Traffic Pole" between RNR and ToT, and were going to get on RNR, except my niece is too short to ride it. So, my sister took her to ToT, my parents didn't do anything, and Jeff, the big kids, and I rode RNR. Mom and Paul went back to the condo at that point, and when Steph and Kate were done, Steph and the big kids rode RNR while Kate and I went down to a shop in search of a stuffed animal she had seen earlier.

That was as good as it got that night, because when everyone was done with their rides, we were all frazzled, I had had it with crowds, and I needed a drink, or a xanax, or both. So, we went back to the condo "early" (the park was open until 11 but this was about 9:30) and passed out for the night.

Here are a few photos I snapped:

Oh, guess what's going up!!! See if you can figure it out from these shots:

Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 28, 2012 6:45 am

Wow ~ sounds like a more stressful ending to this day. I would have freaked out if I got caught in that many people :shock: Good thinking having everyone hold hands! Glad Mama Melrose's was good. I've heard so many mixed reviews and it sounds like the food can be hit or miss.
I see the Osborne Christmas lights starting to go up. That has to be one of F1gment's and my most favorite thing to see at DHS!! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sun 28, 2012 10:07 am

cy1229 wrote:After the carousel we headed to Cosmic Ray's for dinner. We found a few tables clustered together on one of the terraces outside, and relaxed and lingered over our dinner. I know the food here is generic, but we always have a good meal and love to come back every time we're in the MK. We started making jokes about the ubiquitous chocolate dessert, which seemed for the first time to not be chocolate mousse! Did they drop this (finally)? The carrot cake aboundeth, though.
We grew so tired of the chocolate cake that seemed to be the only desert option in a lot of quick service counters. There was a cheesecake option a few times that I liked. The crust wasn't good, but the cheesecake part was tasty. F1gment didn't care for the cheesecake at all. We waived off the dessert a lot of times, but in talking with a few resort CMs, we found out they or especially their children, actually enjoyed the parks food and normally didn't get it because it was too expensive, so they were happy to take what we offered. So we shared a lot of the chocolate cakes with the CMs at the hotel.
I think he only time we had chocolate mousse was in the Animal Kingdom ~ Flame Tree BBQ, and we weren't sharing that with anybody! It was too delicious!! :D
We didn't know until late in our trip that some of the counter service places would let you substitute a bottled water for the dessert. We learned to ask when we were ordering if we could substitute anything and generally as long as you were on the dining plan, they would allow the substitution of water for dessert, or fruit for fries, etc. I found it weird that they wouldn't substitute if you were paying for the meal outright though.

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Oct Sun 28, 2012 12:47 pm

We have found all sorts of desert options. Peco Bill's do yoghurt, Columbia Harbour House had an apple cobbler. Sunshine seasons let you have anything from their pastry counter. Yak and yeti do a banana mousse (yummy) and Flame tree do that suberb chocolate mousse. The Japenese place does a cracking ginger and cream cake. We also discovered that most of the resorts let you sub ice cream for dessert.

We could not have handled the crowds that you had at DHS and would have probably just escaped to somewhere a little quieter.