Christmastime Question

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

duggett
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Christmastime Question

Post by duggett » Sep Mon 03, 2012 10:44 am

We have been to WDW over 20 times, but have never been there between November 1st and January 25th.
So we have never seen the Christmas decorations. Hard to believe!
BUT...we're are booked for the first week in December this year! We plan to see the sites but avoid the crowds.
Really looking forward to it. No children this time. Just the two of us celebrating our anniversary!
We would like to spend the time seeing the best Christmas things in the parks and the resorts.
We have been on all the rides and eaten at most of the restaurants, so we are strictly looking for best, most unique, or "hidden treasure" Christmas things for adults to see and do.
Any ideas would be welcome. Maybe your top 3 or 4 suggestions???
Thanks.
And have a magical day!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: Christmastime Question

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Mon 03, 2012 10:55 am

The Gingerbread house in the Grand Floridan lobby is something I have never seen myself but would love to see at this time of year.

duggett

Post by duggett » Sep Mon 03, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks - we will definitely check it out. We were also told we "must" buy some gingerberad there. Supposed to be yummy.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 03, 2012 1:54 pm

It's not really hidden, but the Osborne Spectacle of Lights is a must see for us! If you go more toward the middle or end of the time when they are showing, you will find it to be much less crowded and you can wander around to your heart's content. We looked for the Osborne references hidden in the displays these past two years as well. We hadn't known about them until NaCler clued us in :D

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Sep Mon 03, 2012 3:18 pm

I agree with what they said...
I did the monorail resort tour two years ago when we went Christmas week. It was AWESOME. I highly suggest it. Buy a chocolate dipped gingerbread shingle at GF, then check out all the decorations in the other resorts. In fact, everywhere you go will have decorations---it's really incredible.
The Osborne Lights are beyond words...
Nothing can truly prepare you for it. I went there having read everything possible and was still overwhelmed.
Those are the two I recommend.
I posted a TR about that trip in here..I am going to go back and read it again..if I come across something I will post it.

I am jealous! Enjoy the trip!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Mon 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Do some of the other hotels still make their own gingerbread houses/dioramas as well? If so you might also look for those along with the various trees.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Do some of the other hotels still make their own gingerbread houses/dioramas as well? If so you might also look for those along with the various trees.
Yes, several of the hotels do their own Gingerbread decorations, Yacht and Beach, Grand Floridian are the ones I know for sure have had a display in the past...as well as the American pavilion's restaurant ~ The Liberty Inn Restaurant. They have a massive gingerbread house too.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 03, 2012 8:04 pm

There's also the EPCOT Candelight Processional. It has showings between Thanksgiving and New Years. Check the website. They also have dinner package deals that gets you better seating (you'll get seated before the stand-by line). The website should have the list of which guest narrators there will be, and 1-407-WDISNEY is usually where you can get the dinner package deals.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Mon 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Wow, you guys start early, I don't think DLR's starts until December.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 04, 2012 11:07 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Wow, you guys start early, I don't think DLR's starts until December.
Better to sell those dinner package deals...$$$$...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 04, 2012 11:14 am

Interestingly, I was just checking the dates, ours start 12/1 and the first two nights are private events and the other 20 nights will only be open for annual passes (free) and people who buy dining packages.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Interestingly, I was just checking the dates, ours start 12/1 and the first two nights are private events and the other 20 nights will only be open for annual passes (free) and people who buy dining packages.
...and along time ago, Diz used to also air DL's Candlelight Processional on the Disney Channel as well. I remember seeing Howard Keel being the narrator...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 04, 2012 9:36 pm

They also used to promote it in the exit for circlevision as well as the opportunity to get your message on the disneyland marquee. :D

I still remember that souless blonde chick they would use during the free previews, where she and her cube dwelling minions wanted you to subscribe.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Wed 05, 2012 9:33 am

duggett wrote:Thanks - we will definitely check it out. We were also told we "must" buy some gingerberad there. Supposed to be yummy.
Yes it is delicious! We bought a bunch of "roof tiles" to take home with us last year!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

duggett

Post by duggett » Sep Thu 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Do some of the other hotels still make their own gingerbread houses/dioramas as well? If so you might also look for those along with the various trees.
Yes, several of the hotels do their own Gingerbread decorations, Yacht and Beach, Grand Floridian are the ones I know for sure have had a display in the past...as well as the American pavilion's restaurant ~ The Liberty Inn Restaurant. They have a massive gingerbread house too.
Sounds like lots of places to find decorations and treats. Thanks for the tips. We will try them all. Can't wait!