Bedbugs at Disney?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Bedbugs at Disney?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Saw this today on lifehacker, looks like Disney may have bedbugs. It's not that surprising that the tourist hotels have it since they have such a heavy turnover.

http://www.bedbugregistry.com/location/FL/

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Bedbugs at Disney?

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 29, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm guessing just about anyplace that has a frequent turnover of guests like you mentioned is fair game for bed bugs or any other types of problems. All you can do is hope the room is clean I guess.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 29, 2012 8:15 pm

It's probably also why most of the findings were at the less expensive places, lower prices mean greater odds that the rooms will have less vacant time. I was pleased to see that a hotel I frequent for work up in the bay area (and my backup if that one is full) were both not on the list. They get a huge turnover rate but they are also all biz travelers so that may also be a factor.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Sun 29, 2012 8:17 pm

We Check our beds and rooms at every motel that we stay at. thankfully nothing ever found. We stayed at the Coronada Springs on our last two visits. NO BEDBUGS FOUND. The only bug we saw was the number 53....Herbie. :) :goofy:

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Aug Sat 18, 2012 6:35 am

I gotta quit reading these posts this morning!!! first the break in posts now bedbugs.....ewwww!! makes you not want to stay at wdw resorts anymore!!! I know, they can both happen anywhere!! Just talked to our friend of mine who's in pest control and he said in a few years,bed bugs will be everywhere.They are getting to be a real problem and they are spreading quickly......ewwwww!!!!

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Just so everyone knows, Disney gets new mattresses every 6 months. They are awesome!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 27, 2012 8:25 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:Just so everyone knows, Disney gets new mattresses every 6 months. They are awesome!!!
Are you sure they replace them in all the rooms? We had to request a new mattress one of our trips because it looked a lot like a taco shell :shock:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 8:25 pm

That seems... costly, got anything to back that up?

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 8:46 pm

yes, 1) I was a cast member 2) 10 years after I left the company I was told that again on one of the tours I took a few years ago. 3) This past May I took a DVC tour and asked them if they still did it..answer was yes.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 8:56 pm

That's not really proof, since CMs have also said Illuminations is going away next year, that is DVC, and they can say whatever they want and you couldn't hold them to it.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 9:01 pm

I asked the CM how often they changed them and they said 6 months, withough me saying I already knew that. If you don't believe me I don't really care. Next time you are their check the tag on the mattress.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah, I was just checking (they had an official message on this apparently) and it states...

Disney has an extensive and aggressive pest management program, including trained entomologists on staff, as well as a thorough treatment process for rooms when there is a confirmed case.

· In addition to preventive efforts, housekeepers inspect guest rooms daily and follow appropriate procedures when a concern is identified.

· Additionally, Disney’s Pest Management Department works with researchers and institutions from around the world, to discover and implement safe and effective applications and techniques

Checking a mattress tag most likely would also be over 6 months old since it's date of assembly, not installation. Also, replacement of the bed wouldn't get rid of them as they can live on pretty much any surface so long as a human is in the room, which is why they probably hose down affected rooms with pesticide (though they may not tell anyone they did this).

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Aug Tue 28, 2012 12:58 pm

I have a friend in pest control and he says spraying should be the last thing you do.They die quicker with everything being treated with heat.They put the linens and mattresses in a big heat proof box and bake them for hours.The bugs will live in the walls too, he says they are worse than roaches to kill.He is predicting that in the years to come we will all have them. ewwwwww!!!! I hate bugs too...I'm a typical female about them!! :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Tue 28, 2012 1:38 pm

That is probably true, since they do spread by humans and their books, clothes, etc. Even buying a new mattress isn't a good means of prevention since the same truck holds both old and new beds.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Tue 28, 2012 3:07 pm

I'm in a wee bit of a snit about nothing related to anything on these message boards, so forgive me if I'm overly irritable...

First of all, thinking about being in a hotel room that has been essentially doused with chemicals that kill bugs is not what I would call a calming, peaceful, relaxing thought. And how would we know?

Second, I now have the itchies. I really need to quit reading this thread.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016