Is your room safe?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Is your room safe?

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 02, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm sure I could get $50 for it on craigslist (a division of Ebay: America's fence) :D

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Aug Sat 18, 2012 6:14 am

This is scary!!! I never thought about a hotel room being broken into,I thought Disney would be one of the safest places to stay.I know crime can happen anywhere but I thought Disney would really be on top of things.Does anyone know if this has happened there yet?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Rooms broken into at Disney? Probably... Using that specific exploit? No idea.

Disney is like any other resort/vacation destination, high guest turnover means people may not be able to look out for various things.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Aug Mon 20, 2012 11:24 pm

most of the time non-guests cannot get onto property (unless they take a bus from DTD) making a clean getaway with your luggage a bit difficult. in probability terms (IMHO, anyway) it is LESS likely to be broken into on-park, than say the best western just off-site(no offense, Best Western)

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Aug Wed 22, 2012 6:03 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:most of the time non-guests cannot get onto property (unless they take a bus from DTD) making a clean getaway with your luggage a bit difficult. in probability terms (IMHO, anyway) it is LESS likely to be broken into on-park, than say the best western just off-site(no offense, Best Western)
You're probably right about the getaway...I'd think it was strange to see someone on a Disney bus with luggage going back to a park or dtd!! might be able to take things that would fit in your pocket though,like money, jewelry etc. if people are stupid enough to leave it laying around instead of using the room safe!!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Well, most people don't steal clothing from rooms, they steal laptops, cameras, and other smaller items of high value since it most likely will be sold off rather than stolen for personal use.

Even then, they could just have a friend/cab/etc. drive up and pick them up from the hotels.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 8:09 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Well, most people don't steal clothing from rooms, they steal laptops, cameras, and other smaller items of high value since it most likely will be sold off rather than stolen for personal use.

Even then, they could just have a friend/cab/etc. drive up and pick them up from the hotels.
It's a little unnerving the way you think of all the ways people could steal stuff, Wiz.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 27, 2012 11:21 am

It's what consultants get paid to do. :D

Still, the easiest way to get into a room is just go in while the maid is cleaning with the usual "Oh, don't mind me". No hardware needed.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sun 23, 2012 9:42 pm

This is interesting, and related to RF keys used at WDW, since many of the admission systems in place lack security over the tickets, it may be possible to reset room keys and park tickets (if they do what is expected and make the jump) so you could get free trips. :D

http://gizmodo.com/5945669/some-nfc-hac ... n-ride-app

The only, small, caveat is that someone might pay attention at the entrance and catch you.