Winter 2012 Trip Timing

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Botts
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Winter 2012 Trip Timing

Post by Botts » Jul Tue 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello all,

I visit Disneyland several times a year and managed to catch the Hallowe'en season myself last year October 21-24 so I was in the heart of the Hallowe'en season. I have never visited during Christmas season.

My first question:
My girlfriend and I are planning a winter trip this year, and were wondering if there would be a time when we could see Ghost Galaxy as well as the Christmas overlays. I.e. is there a Hallowe'en / Christmas date overlap?

My second question:
If we were to choose to go for Christmas season, is there a best week in late November or any of December to visit? I have ran the touring plans charts and see that it is better to go earlier, however, I wonder when the Christmas overlay will be fully installed. If we don't go for a blend of Hallowe'en/Christmas, we'd like to go during "maximum" Christmas time.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Winter 2012 Trip Timing

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 17, 2012 7:45 pm

No, outside of HMH no other winter stuff is up.

Usually the best week is the week before thanksgiving week, or the first few weeks of December. By mid november they are pretty much done and the first few weeks of Dec are when they film the DLR segments for the christmas day parade.

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jul Wed 18, 2012 5:10 am

If you really want to immerse yourself in Christmas, go anytime in December. Everything will be all decked out, the MVMCP will be rolling every night and WDW will be even more magical than normal!
I was reading someones TR and he said that on Nov 1 they were putting up Christmas stuff already, but the whole resort wasn't "switched over" just yet.
It might be hard to get a week where in the beginning you get Halloween and the end you get full-on Christmas. But good lucky and let us know how it goes. (with lots of pictures!)

My crew went the week before Christmas a few years ago (there is a TR out there somewhere) and it was AWESOME, crowded but awesome.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 18, 2012 11:32 am

They said DLR not WDW. :D

Oh, and the worst week to go (just in case you were thinking of it) is between 12/25 and 1/1, it has some of the highest capacity days and typically has DLR closing to non AP/Hotel guests due to being maxed out. It also happens in summer, but it's the worst when it's that small span.

Botts
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Botts » Jul Wed 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for all the information!

I've got a Premier Passport so I'd imagine I'd be ok if the park was full and closed to non-AP/hotel guests correct?

December 13-18th is likely the time I will book unless I can get November 15/16 -> 20th off work. The 22nd to 26th (November) just looks way too busy according to the crowd planner.

Which of the two above weeks would likely be best?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Depends on which holiday you like the best. I would go for the December trip myself :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah, 22nd to 26th is a little too close to thanksgiving rush. I'd probably lean towards the Dec date because it would be normal holiday with the possiblity of seeing the holiday special stuff and also the november week is when they just start the holiday stuff. So some stuff might not be up yet.

If you have a premier you can get in, but the dates you gave won't be an issue. The most crowded days basically force you to stay in the park because they have to run it like a night club, there will be a line of people out front waiting for someone to leave so they can let someone else in.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jul Thu 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:They said DLR not WDW. :D
Wow how did I miss that...Whooooops! Don't drink and SSR kids!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 19, 2012 6:49 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:They said DLR not WDW. :D
Wow how did I miss that...Whooooops! Don't drink and SSR kids!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: