Planning Trip around the 2013 marathon - Lots of questions

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: Planning Trip around the 2013 marathon - Lots of questio

Post by GeoffS » Jul Thu 26, 2012 3:00 pm

The carb loading only affected me when I REALLY loaded, and that wasn't for the better. Your research is along the right lines. Carbohydrate-heavy meals are only beneficial if your body has gotten used to processing it, generally at least a week or two before the race. Your body can't handle one big shock. I'm skeptical on the protein statement, though. Many ultra runners are switching to vegan and vegetarian-based diets, and protein seems to be overrated as an endurance fuel.

Bottom line: do what works for you, and don't change just before a race. And I hope you enjoy the whole experience: I've thought about doing something like this since I started running long distance events, and look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Thu 26, 2012 9:02 pm

GeoffS wrote: I'm skeptical on the protein statement, though. Many ultra runners are switching to vegan and vegetarian-based diets, and protein seems to be overrated as an endurance fuel.
I'm skeptical about the protein as well. If the body has too much protein, and not enough carbs, it burns protein for energy, and metabolising protein in this manner results in a buildup of ketones in the liver. It's called hyperketosis (I think that's what it is. Maybe Mark86 should straighten me out on that), and inflames the liver, which makes it function less efficiently.

I think you should continue to do what you've been doing with training. Suddenly changing what you do the day before the race is only going to throw your body into a tailspin.

...not that I'm any kind of athlete. Just a biochemist. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jul Fri 27, 2012 10:42 am

cy1229 wrote:
GeoffS wrote: I'm skeptical on the protein statement, though. Many ultra runners are switching to vegan and vegetarian-based diets, and protein seems to be overrated as an endurance fuel.
I'm skeptical about the protein as well. If the body has too much protein, and not enough carbs, it burns protein for energy, and metabolising protein in this manner results in a buildup of ketones in the liver. It's called hyperketosis (I think that's what it is. Maybe Mark86 should straighten me out on that), and inflames the liver, which makes it function less efficiently.

I think you should continue to do what you've been doing with training. Suddenly changing what you do the day before the race is only going to throw your body into a tailspin.

Most everything I have read says exactly what you end with "stick with what you've been doing." No matter what I see about carb loading they all say do what you've been doing because the last thing you want to do is change your diet the night before a race. I feel like the articles I read on eating more lean protein the night before a run was in one of my runner's world issues this year. I'll try to find the article. As a biochemist I'd love to get your take on it. I'll go back through my issues and see if I can find it. Many of the articles that still talk of carb loading discuss doing over a period of 4-5 days instead of all in one night. I find this kind of interested also, as I guess it helps with feeling full and bloated during a race.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Fri 27, 2012 12:12 pm

jrcohen wrote:
cy1229 wrote:

Most everything I have read says exactly what you end with "stick with what you've been doing." No matter what I see about carb loading they all say do what you've been doing because the last thing you want to do is change your diet the night before a race. I feel like the articles I read on eating more lean protein the night before a run was in one of my runner's world issues this year. I'll try to find the article. As a biochemist I'd love to get your take on it. I'll go back through my issues and see if I can find it. Many of the articles that still talk of carb loading discuss doing over a period of 4-5 days instead of all in one night. I find this kind of interested also, as I guess it helps with feeling full and bloated during a race.
Well not to get too graphic, remember that carbs and fiber are "bulk" in the digestive tract. I think the best preparation is to listen to your body and try to pay careful attention to your cravings. If you really want a piece of steak, you might need zinc, iron, vitamin E, or protein. If you really crave fruit, you might need some vitamin C or potassium. Etc. And remember, everything in moderation, including moderation. You could give carb loading a try now, or this fall, and prepare yourself for a preparation marathon, and see how it goes. What the heck, it can't hurt.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016