Planning Trip around the 2013 marathon - Lots of questions

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: Planning Trip around the 2013 marathon - Lots of questio

Post by kcarts » Jul Fri 13, 2012 9:22 am

I got the plan when I went in 2010 for the marathon. I thought it was well worth it. I ate at some places and got some things I wouldn't have without it. I did the math on it and figured I saved about $100 for the week.

Something that helped my decision was I had a friend the made ADRs for the entire week. I knew going in that I was going to have a sit down meal everyday I was there. That's what made it worth it to me. I knew I was going to burn every meal I had on the plan so nothing was going to be wasted.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 13, 2012 1:58 pm

kcarts wrote:I got the plan when I went in 2010 for the marathon. I thought it was well worth it. I ate at some places and got some things I wouldn't have without it. I did the math on it and figured I saved about $100 for the week.

Something that helped my decision was I had a friend the made ADRs for the entire week. I knew going in that I was going to have a sit down meal everyday I was there. That's what made it worth it to me. I knew I was going to burn every meal I had on the plan so nothing was going to be wasted.
That makes sense. You have to commit to making ADRs if you have the table service dining plan. Otherwise you are not going to get your money's worth as it will be difficult (if not impossible) to get into the restaurants.
That is something else to keep in mind. You are going to have to be aware of what park you are in if you have dining ressies...

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jul Mon 16, 2012 10:14 am

As of right now we booked a MYW package through AAA with the room, tickets, and the standard dining plan. We are getting another quote for a room only price as it seems it may be cheaper to get the tickets and room separately. The more we look at the dining plans and read up on them it looks like we may end up canceling that too. We have spent a week now going over numbers and looking at restaurant, planning reservations... I can see what some have been saying about the dining plan almost running your vacation. It seems with it we will be running from meal to meal almost more then we'll be enjoying the parks. ARGH!!! This is so complicated!
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

junebug1233
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by junebug1233 » Jul Mon 16, 2012 12:12 pm

jrcohen wrote:As of right now we booked a MYW package through AAA with the room, tickets, and the standard dining plan. We are getting another quote for a room only price as it seems it may be cheaper to get the tickets and room separately. The more we look at the dining plans and read up on them it looks like we may end up canceling that too. We have spent a week now going over numbers and looking at restaurant, planning reservations... I can see what some have been saying about the dining plan almost running your vacation. It seems with it we will be running from meal to meal almost more then we'll be enjoying the parks. ARGH!!! This is so complicated!
I have to say, I agree with you about the dining plan running your vacation. My boyfriend loves it but when I was a kid, we never did any of the sit down dining and it felt like we had a lot more time to do things and could be more spontaneous.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 16, 2012 5:36 pm

junebug1233 wrote:
jrcohen wrote:As of right now we booked a MYW package through AAA with the room, tickets, and the standard dining plan. We are getting another quote for a room only price as it seems it may be cheaper to get the tickets and room separately. The more we look at the dining plans and read up on them it looks like we may end up canceling that too. We have spent a week now going over numbers and looking at restaurant, planning reservations... I can see what some have been saying about the dining plan almost running your vacation. It seems with it we will be running from meal to meal almost more then we'll be enjoying the parks. ARGH!!! This is so complicated!
I have to say, I agree with you about the dining plan running your vacation. My boyfriend loves it but when I was a kid, we never did any of the sit down dining and it felt like we had a lot more time to do things and could be more spontaneous.
Yup, that's the main complaint I've heard. It does sort of put the damper on being spontaneous when you know you have to be at a certain restaurant, in a certain park, on a specific day at a specific time. Plus then you might have to wait quite a while to get in for your reservations :( But, maybe one time, I might like to try a few more sit-down meals...Via Napoli was certainly tasty enough for us to eat lunch there on two different trips :D

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Tue 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Amy wrote:
junebug1233 wrote:
Yup, that's the main complaint I've heard. It does sort of put the damper on being spontaneous when you know you have to be at a certain restaurant, in a certain park, on a specific day at a specific time. Plus then you might have to wait quite a while to get in for your reservations :( But, maybe one time, I might like to try a few more sit-down meals...Via Napoli was certainly tasty enough for us to eat lunch there on two different trips :D
As of now we have 4 planned sit down meals that we already have reservations for. We have dinner reservations set at Coral Reef, Brown Derby, and Ohana. And a Breakfast reservation for Cinderella's Royal Table. The only one I'm not sure about keeping is Ohana. We have that scheduled for our one day at Animal Kingdom. As I've never been to AK I don't know much about the restaurants there. According to what I've been able to see at touringplans.com and a few other sites there's only 1 or 2 good sit down restaurants there. It seems through the forums here there are a lot of people saying that Ohana is really good too.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

junebug1233

Post by junebug1233 » Jul Tue 17, 2012 2:48 pm

jrcohen wrote:
As of now we have 4 planned sit down meals that we already have reservations for. We have dinner reservations set at Coral Reef, Brown Derby, and Ohana. And a Breakfast reservation for Cinderella's Royal Table. The only one I'm not sure about keeping is Ohana. We have that scheduled for our one day at Animal Kingdom. As I've never been to AK I don't know much about the restaurants there. According to what I've been able to see at touringplans.com and a few other sites there's only 1 or 2 good sit down restaurants there. It seems through the forums here there are a lot of people saying that Ohana is really good too.
Ohana is one place that everyone in my family is obssessed with. I personally don't like it (I'm super picky), but most people seem to love it! The only problem is, all of the guys in my family stuff themselves to the point of being sick when they go there!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 17, 2012 8:16 pm

junebug1233 wrote:
jrcohen wrote:
Ohana is one place that everyone in my family is obssessed with. I personally don't like it (I'm super picky), but most people seem to love it! The only problem is, all of the guys in my family stuff themselves to the point of being sick when they go there!
Sounds like you have a nice selection of meals planned jrcohen.
We didn't care much for the food when we were at Ohana, but we are sort of picky too. We loved having dinner with Subsonic friends there though :D
If you like pizza, I would recommend trying to have lunch at Via Napoli in EPCOT. It is really tasty, authentic Italian pizza :D If you go, you really should try the zeppoli for dessert ~ nothing compares!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 19, 2012 1:37 am

arthor85 wrote:I feel that if we get the dining plan I shell be more likely to order the most expensive thing on the menu, but if we don't get it I shell feel obligated to order as cheaply as possible. Without the package we definitely wouldn't eat dessert with every meal.
That's another observation I've heard about the dining plan. You almost feel like you have to get your money's worth, so you find you are always ordering the most expensive thing, even if you really would rather have something else. Ditto the other side, ordering a cheaper option to save money. Think it all comes down to whether you are someone who likes to relax over a meal, if you want to plan around restaurant ressies, and if you eat full meals instead of getting by on grazing lightly.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Sun 22, 2012 10:01 am

I have a few observations -

First, keep in mind that the dining plan does NOT include the tip on table service meals. You'll be "required" to pay that on top of the dining plan. You'll need to pay the tip when you pay cash, too. Just keep that in mind.

Second, 'Ohana is GREAT!!!! Go. Just go.

Third, have you considered the all quick-service dining plan? It's less money, you're not tied down by ADR's, and if you decide to eat a table service meal or two, you still can do that and just use your quick-service credit for breakfast.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Sun 22, 2012 7:10 pm

cy1229 wrote:I have a few observations -

First, keep in mind that the dining plan does NOT include the tip on table service meals. You'll be "required" to pay that on top of the dining plan. You'll need to pay the tip when you pay cash, too. Just keep that in mind.

Third, have you considered the all quick-service dining plan? It's less money, you're not tied down by ADR's, and if you decide to eat a table service meal or two, you still can do that and just use your quick-service credit for breakfast.
I have been considering the quick service only plan too. Your suggestion was actually one of my main thoughts behind it. We are staying at the Art of Animation Resort and could always just grab a quick service breakfast there in the morning. Do you find that the quick service plan lands up saving you any money at all?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Tue 24, 2012 10:40 am

jrcohen wrote:
cy1229 wrote:I have a few observations -

I have been considering the quick service only plan too. Your suggestion was actually one of my main thoughts behind it. We are staying at the Art of Animation Resort and could always just grab a quick service breakfast there in the morning. Do you find that the quick service plan lands up saving you any money at all?
I'm not a good one to ask because this upcoming trip and our previous trip in Jan 2010 were both paid for by my mom and stepdad, and in 2008 when the girls and I went, we did the DELUXE plan (can you say roll me out the door?). The deluxe plan was overkill. When we went in 2001 the DDP was new and still included Artist's Point and the tip. However, I do know that if we decide to go, and pay for our own trip, we'll probably do the quick-service plan and just pay cash for a couple of table service meals. We're thinking about doing this for an anniversary trip sometime down the road, and will likely do V&A's and probably 'Ohana too. Beyond that, there isn't any table-service restaurant in any of the parks that I can't live without.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Jul Wed 25, 2012 11:09 pm

One thing I didn't see mentioned was what kind of foods the marathoner usually eats. The park food may not agree with you, pre-run. Many marathons make available a carb-load meal the night before. Have you inquired with the race organizers if they have an option like this? Also, it may be worthwhile to think about bringing some of your own food, at least until the race is done.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 26, 2012 6:38 am

GeoffS wrote:One thing I didn't see mentioned was what kind of foods the marathoner usually eats. The park food may not agree with you, pre-run. Many marathons make available a carb-load meal the night before. Have you inquired with the race organizers if they have an option like this? Also, it may be worthwhile to think about bringing some of your own food, at least until the race is done.
I'm pretty sure they offer a big pasta meal the night before the race. Not sure if it is included in the price of the race packet though, but I would think it is.

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Thu 26, 2012 9:54 am

Amy wrote:
GeoffS wrote:One thing I didn't see mentioned was what kind of foods the marathoner usually eats. The park food may not agree with you, pre-run. Many marathons make available a carb-load meal the night before. Have you inquired with the race organizers if they have an option like this? Also, it may be worthwhile to think about bringing some of your own food, at least until the race is done.
I'm pretty sure they offer a big pasta meal the night before the race. Not sure if it is included in the price of the race packet though, but I would think it is.
We are doing Pasta in the Park the night before the race. It's at EPCOT Saturday evening, and it's a Pasta and lean protein buffet while watching Illuminations. And it is not included. In fact it was kind of pricey, but my wife thought it would be really neat for me so she signed us up. I'm pretty sure that will cover my carb needs. And since we're coming in Saturday early I will only be there one day prior to the run, so I'm not too worried about the park food messing with my insides pre-race. Afterwards is another story.

On a side note I have carb-loaded pre race or any half, full, or tri I've done since I started running 4 years ago. I've started looking into it a bit more over the last year or so and most newer studies show that you actually should eat fewer carbs and more lean protein the night before a race and then eat carbs afterwards. The reason for this is that the proteins are a much slower burning energy store for your body. Where as with carb loading the night before you would burn off all of that quick energy store pre-race, the proteins would still be there. Then afterwards the carbs would give you quick energy to refuel your body.

I've still never had the guts to try doing this and always land up carb-loading; but it's an interesting thought.