Planning Trip around the 2013 marathon - Lots of questions

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Planning Trip around the 2013 marathon - Lots of questions

Post by jrcohen » Jul Wed 11, 2012 10:43 am

OK, so for my birthday my wife got me a spot in the 2013 WDW marathon. We are starting to plan our trip around it and are coming up with so many questions. I love WDW and used to go all the time when I was younger but over the last 10-15 years or so I've only been able to make 2-3 trips. This is going to be the trip we try to go all out and do it right. We are looking at staying for a bit over a week; coming in the Saturday before the marathon and leaving the following Sunday. We will start hitting up the parks Monday after the run. We are looking at staying at one of the Disney resorts; we're thinking the new Art of Animation resort because it's a value resort that looks really neat. We've booked our flights but as of now that is it. Is it worth it to book everything (hotel, tickets, dining plan) at once through WDW vacations? Can you actually get a better deal that way? It appears some of the resorts are already filling up for that week since the marathon brings in so many people so we figure we need to book as soon as possible. Are the dining plans really worth it? Which level of dining plans / vacation packages would you recommend? I'd appreciate any inside info for those who have done it many times before.

Thanks!!!!!
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Planning Trip around the 2013 marathon - Lots of questio

Post by cy1229 » Jul Wed 11, 2012 11:05 am

Since you're staying that long, my only immediate suggestion would be to book a 1-bedroom villa for your stay, if you can afford the extra cost. I think it should be pretty comparable to the AofA if you factor in the fact that you can eat breakfast in your room. Even one of the cabins in Ft. Wilderness. That way you'll have a place to stretch out and relax, and enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, before you hit the ground running.

Is it just you and your wife going? Or are you traveling with kids?

I have no knowledge whatsoever about how much it costs to book everything separately as opposed to packages with airfare, but I do know that if you're traveling with kids, the mere convenience of the DDP is a great option. If it's just you and your wife, you might be better off going with just room and park tickets, and paying cash for meals, especially if neither of you has a big appetite. Len has done a significant and very detailed cost breakdown for the plans vs. various resort discounts in another thread [Amy, can you squirt a link to it in here?] so that's worth a read.

Is your vacationing style more luxurious? Do you like to go, go, go, and do as much as you can? Do you prefer to be pampered and relax? Your vacation style will help us tell you the things we have done that match what you'll like to do.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Wed 11, 2012 11:42 am

cy1229 wrote:Since you're staying that long, my only immediate suggestion would be to book a 1-bedroom villa for your stay, if you can afford the extra cost. I think it should be pretty comparable to the AofA if you factor in the fact that you can eat breakfast in your room. Even one of the cabins in Ft. Wilderness. That way you'll have a place to stretch out and relax, and enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, before you hit the ground running.

I have no knowledge whatsoever about how much it costs to book everything separately as opposed to packages with airfare, but I do know that if you're traveling with kids, the mere convenience of the DDP is a great option. If it's just you and your wife, you might be better off going with just room and park tickets, and paying cash for meals, especially if neither of you has a big appetite. Len has done a significant and very detailed cost breakdown for the plans vs. various resort discounts in another thread [Amy, can you squirt a link to it in here?] so that's worth a read.

Is your vacationing style more luxurious? Do you like to go, go, go, and do as much as you can? Do you prefer to be pampered and relax? Your vacation style will help us tell you the things we have done that match what you'll like to do.
We were looking at a standard room mostly. It would just be the two of us, no kids yet. As far as our vacation style, we do like to go, go, go. We both always feel like we want to / have to see everything. I know we are going to spend one day over at Universal to see the Harry Potter land. But for what we're going to do at WDW we are concentrating on the 4 main parks. I don't think we'll have much time for a lot of the extras like the golf clubs. I know she is trying to make this a trip to remember, planning a lot of the extras that you can do along with the maration; Pasta in the Park the night before, the Race Retreat, and Cheer Squad for the day of). I don't really know much about the villas, what can you tell me about them?

Thanks again for all the help. Even though it's 7 months away I already feel I'm too excited to make logical decisions :D
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Wed 11, 2012 12:27 pm

The big advantage of the villas is the kitchenette. If you get a studio villa, you have a bed, small sleeper sofa, and a kitchenette with small fridge and microwave, with a coffee maker. The studios have paper plates and bowls, and plastic cups and mugs (4). A 1 BR villa has a separate bed room from the living room / kitchen area, and the kitchen is a full kitchen with "real" plates, bowls, mugs, etc. plus pots and pans. There's a service, called Green Grocer, that will deliver groceries to your resort (you order and prepay on their website) and when you check in they'll have your GG order sent to your room. 1 BR and larger villas also have laundry facilities in them. That comes in handy if you want to just take a carry-on bag on your flight and avoid paying extra for a checked suitcase. A villa is more like being "at home" than being in a hotel room. If you're breakfast eaters, or only like coffee a certain way (most places in the park serve "Nescafe") then being able to prepare your breakfast yourself is a major cost-cutter. If you don't usually eat breakfast, I'm not sure how much of a savings it is. The other advantage is being able to come back and sit down with your feet up for awhile without sitting on your bed. Our last trip, we stayed at Saratoga in a grand villa with my mom, stepdad, and sister's family (10 of us in all) and it was HUGE, and we loved it. We were there on my mom and stepdad's DVC points. I don't know if we would have afforded a grand villa otherwise. This time around we're staying at Bay Lake Tower, which has received some great reviews. We're going to have a 2 BR and a studio, and I think the major advantages of BLT are location, and being able to see the fireworks at the MK from many of the rooms. I've heard that the lounge at the top of BLT is now going to be open to all resort guests, not just DVC members staying on points, too.

Anyway, do a cost comparison on Disney's website for the type of room you want with and without a dining plan, and do a comparison of a villa with and without dining plan.

Another good resource is TouringPlans.com - they have a lot of information about park crowds, and have some pre-drawn plans that help you maximize your stay. A one-year membership was only $12. One thing that we do when we travel in our big group is list everyone's "must-do" attractions or events. We make sure everyone's top 2 or 3 are covered, and we rarely, if ever, split up as a group. We like to spend time as a family together.

If you're not picky about food, then I would do all counter-service meals and just spring for one or two sit-down places. If you love to eat your way through DW, then the dining plan with advanced dining reservations is a good idea. If you don't care about being at the parks every minute they're open, don't get park-hopper passes. If you want to try a water park, add that to your ticket. Choices choices choices! Does this help? You can literally make a full-time job out of this, so it's better to set your priorities and then design your trip around those.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Wed 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Actually, it's only six months away! I know because I'll be there as well. No running, offering support to a friend....and visiting Disney for a week!

I'll say this, If you're coming Saturday, leave enough time to get over to the sports complex to get your bib and goody pack.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 11, 2012 8:14 pm

I think they just released the packages with free dining today...maybe?? If you can get free dining ~ go for it. It does make it more enjoyable to eat in the parks. If you are more go-go-go, I would think you will be just fine in a value resort since you won't spend a lot of time in your room anyhow.
We generally book directly through WDW online. It is so nice to get everything all sorted out all at once. Make sure you register for the Disney Express if you are going to be flying in and not renting a vehicle. It really is so nice to have transportation right from the airport to the resort :D
Last edited by Amy on Jul Wed 11, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 11, 2012 8:17 pm

cy1229 wrote:Since you're staying that long, my only immediate suggestion would be to book a 1-bedroom villa for your stay, if you can afford the extra cost. I think it should be pretty comparable to the AofA if you factor in the fact that you can eat breakfast in your room. Even one of the cabins in Ft. Wilderness. That way you'll have a place to stretch out and relax, and enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, before you hit the ground running.

Here's your squirted link cy1229 :lol: About a third of the way down...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7841&p=212694=disne ... an#p212694

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Thu 12, 2012 7:53 am

Amy wrote: Here's your squirted link cy1229 :lol: About a third of the way down...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7841&p=212694=disne ... an#p212694
Thanks! I can never find things "after the fact."
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

junebug1233
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by junebug1233 » Jul Thu 12, 2012 8:37 am

My brother and mom are both running in the Marathon and we are also coming in the Saturday before and leaving the Sunday after! They always have a great time running it, Disney really goes all out with the characters and music along the route.

locura79
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by locura79 » Jul Thu 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi! I'm the wife.

So, regarding the dining plan, we're looking at $890 for the standard package (2 adults, 8 nights). That comes out to $55.63/day/person for 1 snack, 1 quick service, and 1 table service meal. I haven't been able to find actual prices for specific restaurants since they fluctuate daily. Do you have any suggestions for determining whether this is worth it and/or for maximizing the dining plan value?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 12, 2012 7:45 pm

locura79 wrote:Hi! I'm the wife.

So, regarding the dining plan, we're looking at $890 for the standard package (2 adults, 8 nights). That comes out to $55.63/day/person for 1 snack, 1 quick service, and 1 table service meal. I haven't been able to find actual prices for specific restaurants since they fluctuate daily. Do you have any suggestions for determining whether this is worth it and/or for maximizing the dining plan value?
First off, you aren't simply the wife, you are the "awesome" wife who gave her husband a Disney trip and a spot in the marathon for his birthday!

Is that the price just for the dining plan? Or have you found a plan that includes free dining? We've only done the quick service dining plan and both times that was included in our package for free. If you are paying out of pocket, then you definitely want to be comparing prices. If you are like my Mom and I, we are happy sharing a quick service meal because they give you so much food. It would never be advantageous for us to pay for the dining plan because of that, but when it is free....why not?! :D I've heard from both sides of the fence, that the meal plan is worth the cost, especially if you order the highest priced entrees, and also that people feel they barely break even and often feel too stuffed because they feel obligated to eat all the meal contains in order to "get their money's worth". Adult beverages aren't included, plus you still need to add on the gratuity. Those are two things to keep in mind.

Here are two places that generally share menus that have prices...http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-dining-references/ and http://allears.net/din/dining.htm

locura79
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by locura79 » Jul Thu 12, 2012 8:02 pm

The $890 is just the dining plan. We're booking through AAA, but they don't have packages with free dining plans (yet). I'm told that if a deal is offered later we will be able to get it.

I feel that if we get the dining plan I'll be more likely to order the most expensive thing on the menu, but if we don't get it I'll feel obligated to order as cheaply as possible. Without the package we definitely wouldn't eat dessert with every meal.

That said, I do have a very healthy appetite and would be more likely to order appetizers without the plan. There's no way my husband and I could share meals.

junebug1233

Post by junebug1233 » Jul Thu 12, 2012 8:33 pm

locura79 wrote:The $890 is just the dining plan. We're booking through AAA, but they don't have packages with free dining plans (yet). I'm told that if a deal is offered later we will be able to get it.

I feel that if we get the dining plan I'll be more likely to order the most expensive thing on the menu, but if we don't get it I'll feel obligated to order as cheaply as possible. Without the package we definitely wouldn't eat dessert with every meal.

That said, I do have a very healthy appetite and would be more likely to order appetizers without the plan. There's no way my husband and I could share meals.
Just speaking from experience, I doubt they will have free dining plans during marathon time. They usually use the free dining to lure people in during the non-busy season. Since they have the marathon to draw people in, I don't know if they will do any deals (although since I'm going then too, I hope they do!)

You will probably save a little money with the dining plan. At the very least, as you said, you won't feel obligated to look at the prices when ordering. It's almost better to just pay it in advance and then enjoy your vacation! That being said, I am a somewhat light eater but I had trouble eating as much food as you get when you're on the dining plan (I assume you are on the one with one quick service, one sit down, and one snack).

jrcohen

Post by jrcohen » Jul Fri 13, 2012 12:15 am

It seems like the best value would be if we get the dining plan to use our table service credits for single credit meals and if we wanted to go to a restaurant that would be a 2 credit meal to just pay cash. It seems if we do this we fall somewhere in the range of + or - like $50. From what I saw in the link that you posted Amy most seem to think the benefit of not having to worry about what to order can make that $50 or so dollar loss with it. Does this sound right to you guys?

Also have any of you done the dinner and phantasmic deal where you get automatic entrance into the show without having to wait? We've never seen it and it's only playing once per night so we have to get it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 13, 2012 7:12 am

jrcohen wrote:It seems like the best value would be if we get the dining plan to use our table service credits for single credit meals and if we wanted to go to a restaurant that would be a 2 credit meal to just pay cash. It seems if we do this we fall somewhere in the range of + or - like $50. From what I saw in the link that you posted Amy most seem to think the benefit of not having to worry about what to order can make that $50 or so dollar loss with it. Does this sound right to you guys?

Also have any of you done the dinner and phantasmic deal where you get automatic entrance into the show without having to wait? We've never seen it and it's only playing once per night so we have to get it.
I believe the convenience factor of the dining plan is big. And if you are both hearty eaters, then you will probably enjoy having lots of food :D
We've never done the Fantasmic dining package. Again, it seems like I have heard both positive and negative reviews. The positive is that you are guaranteed seating, but you still want to arrive fairly early to the ampitheatre because it is first come, first served seating, so you could still get sort of stinky seats. It looked like the reserved seating is on both far ends of the stadium seating. I've heard the meal choices aren't that wonderful and a few people have felt very rushed trying to get their food and get to the show. I think a few people here on the forum have done the dining package so hopefully they can give you their impressions too :D