Have you been to DisneyWorld on New Years Day?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Have you been to DisneyWorld on New Years Day?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Probably worse since it gives the illusion of security and lowers patrons guard as well as forces people to seek out creative ways to sneak stuff in.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:You mean the magic chopstick (DLR gives them a chopstick to search with) doesn't prevent anything?! But then how will it stop people from sneaking in guns and whatnot on their person?
No chopsticks for the WDW security guard searchers ~ at least not that I've seen. They have a flashlight. A few tap the bag's sides and give it a heft, I'm assuming that is to check for glass bottles.
Yeah, not the most secure search since they don't look in your coat pockets or pat people down. I suppose it is better than nothing....maybe.
That's why I loved DLP's security. X-ray scanner, a la the airport. That will pick up a gun quicker than a quick little squeeze. :roll:

I will say working NYE and the day after wasn't bad. We hit phase 3 closure by 10am and were fairly silent from then on out. Although I left at 3.30pm both days, I didn't see the nighttime madness.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 03, 2013 12:26 am

Well, the ones at DLR and WDW are just for show, they do have more issues at DLRP if I recall. It probably doesn't help that they also don't control the entire area which is why (in warmer weather) you will see pedlers/beggers on property.

God help the US parks if something actually happened since it would probably get ugly in regards to the lacking security when (only a few miles away) other theme parks are using better detection methods.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 03, 2013 8:54 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Well, the ones at DLR and WDW are just for show, they do have more issues at DLRP if I recall. It probably doesn't help that they also don't control the entire area which is why (in warmer weather) you will see pedlers/beggers on property.

God help the US parks if something actually happened since it would probably get ugly in regards to the lacking security when (only a few miles away) other theme parks are using better detection methods.
What do the other parks use?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Full metal detectors, since most people will not be trying to smuggle in carbon fiber guns. That is probably overkill as well, but at the same time those parks are being pro-active. At first, when they put the checks in at DLR, I had figured it was a way to cut down on people bringing food into the parks but apparently they still don't care about that.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Full metal detectors, since most people will not be trying to smuggle in carbon fiber guns. That is probably overkill as well, but at the same time those parks are being pro-active. At first, when they put the checks in at DLR, I had figured it was a way to cut down on people bringing food into the parks but apparently they still don't care about that.
I know this is straying a bit from the original topic of New Year's Day at WDW, but now I want to know ~ does DL not allow outside food in the parks? WDW lets you bring in food...
I would be ok with having to pass through a metal detector on the way into the parks. It certainly would be more effective than the current system. It would be a bit of a pain, having to empty your pockets and all, but as a trade off for a safer park, it might be worth while.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 03, 2013 3:06 pm

The rules are probably the same at WDW...

"With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, food or beverage items are not permitted into either of the Disneyland Resort theme parks"

That being said, the enforcement in very lax, they do have a picnic area near the gates, and lockers to store stuff in, but it is not unusual to see people bring a meal from home and just eat in the park at the tables or benches.