Jumping the Pond

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Jumping the Pond

Post by cy1229 » Jun Wed 13, 2012 9:55 am

Soarin08 wrote:Love the pic of the Grand, I just hope the fact I have always enjoyed that resort so much doesn't diminish now that I work there. Tends to happen, sadly. :(
Me too! I've always thought how much fun it would be to be an "educator" somewhere in the park (like the Land, Seas, or in AK) or a photographer, but I wonder if that would make me love WDW less.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 13, 2012 11:05 am

cy1229 wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:Love the pic of the Grand, I just hope the fact I have always enjoyed that resort so much doesn't diminish now that I work there. Tends to happen, sadly. :(
Me too! I've always thought how much fun it would be to be an "educator" somewhere in the park (like the Land, Seas, or in AK) or a photographer, but I wonder if that would make me love WDW less.
Me three! I would be willing to take the chance though. I think it's more likely that I would like to end up living close enough to the parks to make popping in whenever I had free time and the desire to visit, but be employed elsewhere that pays a bit better...

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Thu 14, 2012 2:24 am

Amy wrote:Very pretty! Did he use a tripod or has he sworn off caffeine? ;)
The tripod was on duty that night.
I've often thought if we were close enough to go to the parks whenever we wanted would we get tired of going, I don't think we would but you never know.
Might have to try it out when we retire or earlier if we win the lottery. :lol:

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Sat 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Well after the excitement of last night and our late evening it's going to be a nice quiet start to the day. Nowhere special to be so we take our time leaving the room and take a slow walk round the resort without any camera. We sit in the gardens and watch the fountains it really is a lovely day, then we wander along the river and watch the boats go past on their way to Downtown Disney.
We head back to the room to pick up the camera before heading over to Riverside for a little lunch. I know we are staying at French Quarter, we decided to try it as we had always enjoyed our little jaunts over their while we stayed at the other resort but we are not really keen on their food court and have made up our minds that we are going back to Riverside next year it is such a relaxing resort and you can be sure there will be no infernal beeping from the catering truck in the morning.
Having had a pootle round the store we head into the dining hall to lunch, this is the cog wheel inside the dining hall I'm sure it does not actually do anything but it looks good.

After lunch we refill our resort mugs and head outside to take a slow stroll back to the other resort. The boat looks like it is about to head out to Downtown Disney so we take a quick snap before it leaves.

We wander back along the path and take a seat on the benches opposite the Mansions to watch the world go by. You get the occasional jogger, a lot of people walking between the resorts and then a rarity a bicycle ladened with family ringing their bell with merry abandon and also a assortment of animals, Squirrels,ducks and little bark anoles.
We leave the bench and walk back to the room to collect our stuff, head to the car and over to Epcot for the evening.

BUT WAIT

we have someone to phone and we know they will be close to leaving work. RING RING, RING RING a voice answers and at long last I am speaking to our very own Soarin. We arrange to meet tomorrow night at the Magic Kingdom after work.

So off to Epcot we go, we head to Test Track, the fastpass machines are not working and the standby line says 40mins but the queue does not look that long so we decide to risk it. 40mins yeah that will be right we pretty much walked straight on. we head over to the land to get passes for Soarin and then take the ride through the land, I think we were just about the last boat of the night as the line was closed when our boat ride ended. The Sea is calling and so we visit Nemo and his friends. We knew that the tank had problems in January and so I was looking for the big fishes hmmm no turtles, sharks or dolphins and even the manatees were in their back area.
World showcase is our next stop and we go right towards Canada, well what do you know the camera has miraculously surfaced again and Joe takes this shot of China.

and then a little further round this one of Morocco, it is quite difficult to get a good picture of the tower from the left hand side without the Swan and Dolphin in the background.

Back to the land to Sunshine Seasons for dinner before we go flying and then out to get a good spot for Illuminations.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Sun 24, 2012 10:32 am

I love all the photos! They look like professional work! It's incredible.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 24, 2012 11:25 am

It sounds like you had a relaxing day. Isn't it wonderful when the posted wait time is waaaaay off and you can walk right on?! You actually got passes for Soarin' late in the day? I thought that was almost impossible to do :shock:
That is a lovely picture of Morocco. It must have been a very quiet day for the water to be that still ~ love the reflections in the water :D

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Mon 25, 2012 9:32 am

Yeah getting the fastpass for Soarin was a bit of a bonus, we didn't really expect any to be left which is why we went to Test Track first. It was just as we were walking back over to the land that we noticed that they were still available on the board by the fountain. :D

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Mon 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Today is going to be a quiet day for the most part. That is before we go to Magic Kingdom tonight to meet Soarin.
For a long time we have been talking about DVC and if it would be suitable for us, before we left we looked at resale places and we think we have narrowed it down to two resorts so we are going to have a look at Old Key West and the Boardwalk to see if it will sway our opinion any way.

Old Key West is right beside Port Orleans French Quarter so we decide to go there first. I will apologise now but there are no pictures of this resort and that in itself probably tells you a story. It is a very strung out resort but that is because it is built around a golf course (nice if you play) and most of the apartments look out over the course. We were disappointed with the main area and lack of food hall but I suppose there are kitchens in most of the apartments, just the studios do not have a full kitchen. I like the way it looks but Joe is not to keen on this one.

We leave Old Key West and head over to the Boardwalk, we park in the Beach Club and have a look at their DVC block, no this one is not for us either. While we are here we decide to have a wander through the Yacht Club this is very nice, they were having recladding work down on the front so there was a fair bit of scaffolding around so no pictures however once we cleared the work area this was the view.

Leaving this are we wander slowly round to the Boardwalk area itself and down the path that leads to Hollywood Studios to check out the DVC area, all these rooms either look out over water or gardens. We have a little seat by the pool area, there is no one in the pool area at all which seemed a little strange because it was another glorious day.
It is lunch time by now so we wander back to the front of the Boardwalk and head to Epcot. Joe snaps this as I watch the Friendship boats on the water.

This is the one, if ever we decide to go down the DVC route it has to be the Boardwalk as home base. It is a lovely resort and Epcot is right on the doorstep.
Epcot is busy today the wait times are quite high for everything so a look round Mousegear and then back into World Showcase going nowhere in particular just enjoying the sunshine, we stop to watch the drummers at Japan again and then we feel coffee and a Napoleon calling so into France we slide. My the bakery in France is superb and the Napoleon is an artery clogging monster but so yummy.
Back to the hotel for a little rest before we venture out again later.

Well this is it we are heading to Magic Kingdom to meet Soarin. I have a bit of an advantage as I have seen a photograph and know who I am looking for, We are a little early but that is not a bad thing and as it turns out Soarin is early as well. We head down Main Street not quite sure where we are going as yet, and then head towards Space Mountain. I am quite happy to sit and watch the world go by as they go on the ride. I'm not that keen on coasters in fact most of them terrify me. They really were not gone that long it must have been pretty much a walk on, we head up through Fantasyland and into the Mansion it was quiet so we had a little play with the interactive queue before entering and then the hand sanitizer comes out, well you never can be to careful with these things we don't want to get ill like Boilerdude.
After the Mansion we head to Peco Bills for something to eat, Joe and I are not that hungry and now you know why that Napoleon had sunk us. Soarin had come straight from work though.
Leaving we head for Pirates but it is down so where to now hmmm Tikki Room of course and the only pictures of the night.

Pirates is still down when we come out so off to the Jungle Cruise, this is so much better at night the jokes are just as corny but seem slightly different in the dark. Departing the boat we head to the Hub to watch wishes and as the park is open to 9pm tonight after wishes we fight our way through the throng of people heading for the exit and head back to Pirates which has reopened.
Its getting on a bit when we come out of Pirates and so we head for the exit my how time flys when your having fun,we watch the end of magic the memories and you on the castle on the way out. At the exit we go our separate ways as we have parked in the Contempary car park, I know a bit of a cheek but hey ho but not before arranging to meet again on Friday at Epcot.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I can't believe there is no picture of your meet-up :shock: :( Maybe there will be one for Friday at EPCOT??? :D
Would you feel you would get your money's worth out of the DVC having to travel overseas?

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Thu 28, 2012 2:12 am

Amy wrote:I can't believe there is no picture of your meet-up :shock: :( Maybe there will be one for Friday at EPCOT??? :D
Would you feel you would get your money's worth out of the DVC having to travel overseas?
The subject of a picture never came up, we were to busy having FUN. :lol:
DVC at the minute is on a break even with purchasing a holiday package if you go to a studio, but that may change in the future everything seems to be increasing year on year we are just keeping our options open.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Sat 30, 2012 8:09 am

Indeed, when fun is happening, cameras aren't generally thought of too much. :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 30, 2012 2:00 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Indeed, when fun is happening, cameras aren't generally thought of too much. :lol:
Guess that is the result of a poor memory. I want to record it so I have a visual reminder...

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Jun Sat 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Soarin08 wrote:I love all the photos! They look like professional work! It's incredible.
You saw the camera lenses and tripod. I'm pretty far from a pro. But thanks anyway. I like the pics that get posted. Well most of them.
They lose a lot when they get reduced for the posts. The full size originals are fantastic on a high def 32" TV.
You have seen how long I take to get a picture. I'm not good at rushing.
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jul Mon 02, 2012 4:09 pm

The sun is out the sky is blue, there's not a cloud to spoil the view and we are going to:-

The park is busy today we are parked way back in the car park, so far that even we thought all of two minutes about taking the tram. By the time we reach the gates we are feeling in need of some refreshments, it really is a scorcher today. Thankfully there is plenty of shade in this park and we are in no hurry.
We stop to watch the birds and ducks in the entrance, then we head on up to the anteater who is very lively this morning, the orchids are lovely and the two parrots by the cave entrance are squawking their little heads off (yeah we all know its hot) peace breakers.
Its a slow walk to the African trail, we are taking our time and the animals are even more lively than they were the first time we came. If we can survive the heat then its going to be a good day. Look even the Hippo is smiling.

The meerkats are freaking out about a large bird circling their enclosure and keep scurrying down the burrows. It is giving the CM plenty to talk about though, normally they are talking about the antelopes in the background but the meerkats are getting all the attention today.
After we exit the trail we pick up fastpasses for the safari and as they were a couple of hours out decide to go for an early lunch. We skirt round the front of the park and are almost at the Flame Tree when we suddenly think of trying the Yak and Yeti quick service. We have never tried this before and are a little unsure of what it will be like. No need to worry this is a good place to eat and we will definitely be coming back here again, Joe had Sweet and Sour and I had Honey Chicken both were excellent and the banana pudding was superb, worth going just for that. We took a long time eating our dinner and watching the ducks that were in under the tables, mother duck was trying to round up her offspring as they were in danger of getting stood on. I counted eight but there may have been more.

After lunch we head into the Asian trail oddly we have no pictures of this one today but we did sit and watch the gorillas for a while, the baby was very playful and daddy was very grumpy.
We head back over for the safari, even the fastpass queue is quite long today but both queues are moving fairly quick and its not long before we are boarding our vehicle and are of for our two week safari.

This little fella is playing if I can't see you then you can't see me. Sorry to disappoint you little buddy but yes we can.

The black rhino is out in the open so we get a shot of it as well.

Then its through the crocodile pit (not literally) and out onto the plains, Heffalumps first.

and then WOT you want me to charge you, really don't tempt me I WILL you do know that truck is not going to stop ME.

and a shot of the grass munchers.

These guys are supposed to be day hunters but they are always asleep when we see them, some day we are going to get a shot of them standing up.

and then back to the Queen of the Jungle, she really is a stunning puddytat. So she gets two pictures one from each side of the rock.

Heading out to chase the poachers we catch sight of this, Dr Doolittle would be proud, its a pull me push me.

With the poachers caught and our safari cut short we exit and wander towards the front at this point we get stuck behind the parade and end up waving to Mickey quite a lot.

We leave the parade at Tough to be a bug and head in for a seat and some air con. When we finish here we decide to leave the park and head over to MK for the evening.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Nice photos once again! The hippo is really cute :D Looking forward to the evening at the MK ~ hope it was cooler for you...