Jumping the Pond

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Jumping the Pond

Post by Amy » Aug Tue 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:Fun! I have seen a few competitions on tv and it looks like it would be fun to watch. My friend's oldest has been a cheerleader for 2 years now and would love to see something like that I'm sure :D
If you think she might be interested tell her to check out varsity.com. It has videos of all the competing teams at the nationals. Being a cheerleader she probably knows all about the site anyway but you never know.
I decided to check and see if there were any Michigan teams and there were a few but nobody has attended since 2006 not sure why they stopped but I did notice that there are no qualifying competitions in.Michigan.
I'll mention the site to her. They don't have the internet, but she is allowed to use her Aunt's computer. Our local school hasn't had a competitive team in years, but they are hoping to start one up yet this year.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Thu 16, 2012 6:38 am

Amy wrote:
Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:Fun! I have seen a few competitions on tv and it looks like it would be fun to watch. My friend's oldest has been a cheerleader for 2 years now and would love to see something like that I'm sure :D
If you think she might be interested tell her to check out varsity.com. It has videos of all the competing teams at the nationals. Being a cheerleader she probably knows all about the site anyway but you never know.
I decided to check and see if there were any Michigan teams and there were a few but nobody has attended since 2006 not sure why they stopped but I did notice that there are no qualifying competitions in.Michigan.
I'll mention the site to her. They don't have the internet, but she is allowed to use her Aunt's computer. Our local school hasn't had a competitive team in years, but they are hoping to start one up yet this year.
If the stories I've heard from my parents are state-wide, schools in Michigan just haven't had the $$ to do things like competitions.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Sun 19, 2012 6:45 am

cy1229 wrote:If the stories I've heard from my parents are state-wide, schools in Michigan just haven't had the $$ to do things like competitions.
That may well be the reason they are no longer competing I know it is expensive to fund a cheerleader. I have had conversations over the years with a lot of parents and it depends on the team and how much they compete but they say it costs between $2000 and $4000 a year to fund a girl. Some of the schools help out but not all do.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 19, 2012 8:44 am

Sleepy90 wrote:
cy1229 wrote:If the stories I've heard from my parents are state-wide, schools in Michigan just haven't had the $$ to do things like competitions.
That may well be the reason they are no longer competing I know it is expensive to fund a cheerleader. I have had conversations over the years with a lot of parents and it depends on the team and how much they compete but they say it costs between $2000 and $4000 a year to fund a girl. Some of the schools help out but not all do.
I saw some photos on facebook not too long ago with a competitive team from my old high school in 1999. Not sure if that was the last year they did it or not though. The current varsity coach was on that team and is at the head of the charge to bring competitive cheer back this year. It would be nice, but also sad at the same time. If they cheer competitively, there won't be any cheerleaders for basketball season, and my friend's daughter won't be able to compete because they can't afford the costs :(

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Sun 19, 2012 9:22 am

Amy wrote:I saw some photos on facebook not too long ago with a competitive team from my old high school in 1999. Not sure if that was the last year they did it or not though. The current varsity coach was on that team and is at the head of the charge to bring competitive cheer back this year. It would be nice, but also sad at the same time. If they cheer competitively, there won't be any cheerleaders for basketball season, and my friend's daughter won't be able to compete because they can't afford the costs :(
Not true Amy all the competitive teams still cheer at their High Schools for, Football or Basketball it is part of team building process it helps with team bonding and gives them a different type of practice as sidelines cheering is different to competitive cheering.
Most of the schools that compete have some form of fundraising events to help with the costs and there are a few teams that say if the girls can make the grade they can be cheerleaders and the fund will cover most of the costs so you don't have to come from a family with money to cheer.
It is one of the sports that have the highest casualty rates these girls really put themselves through extreme physical pressure and they have to keep their school grades to a high level or they are not allowed to compete.
Cheerleading is not an easy option.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 19, 2012 10:43 am

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:I saw some photos on facebook not too long ago with a competitive team from my old high school in 1999. Not sure if that was the last year they did it or not though. The current varsity coach was on that team and is at the head of the charge to bring competitive cheer back this year. It would be nice, but also sad at the same time. If they cheer competitively, there won't be any cheerleaders for basketball season, and my friend's daughter won't be able to compete because they can't afford the costs :(
Not true Amy all the competitive teams still cheer at their High Schools for, Football or Basketball it is part of team building process it helps with team bonding and gives them a different type of practice as sidelines cheering is different to competitive cheering.
Most of the schools that compete have some form of fundraising events to help with the costs and there are a few teams that say if the girls can make the grade they can be cheerleaders and the fund will cover most of the costs so you don't have to come from a family with money to cheer.
It is one of the sports that have the highest casualty rates these girls really put themselves through extreme physical pressure and they have to keep their school grades to a high level or they are not allowed to compete.
Cheerleading is not an easy option.
No, the coach has actually cleared it with the school. If they have a competitive team this year, they won't have a cheerleading team for basketball. They do have fundraisers but they didn't even clear enough to help with camp expenses this year and those fees were only around $200. I'm sure if they get established, then things will change, but it will be tough for awhile. That's the other kicker, my friends' daughter's grades slipped a bit this year. Nothing below a C, which is average, but her parents have told her she needs to improve her efforts!
Will there be more report and pictures soon? So we don't get whacked by Len's yardstick for straying too far off topic? ;)

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Aug Sun 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Excellent report Sleepy... but you lost me at cheerleading competition. Haha...

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Aug Wed 29, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm back, stupid computer has not been working right and you can't do a trip report on a kindle fire.

Monday comes and goes in a flurry of activity. We manage to persuade ourselves that we really need a kindle so head of to purchase one, only to emerge with a kindle fire. We spend some time mooching round the stores and then head into MK for the evening. No camera with us today as we left it in the room so no pics. Did not even stay to watch wishes this evening as the park was crammed and we need to pack for heading home tomorrow.

Well this is it our final day, the plane leaves at 8ish this evening so we have most of the day to go to the parks. I hate the last day leaving the hotel for the final time is so hard. Having packed the night before all we had to do was take a picture of the thing the maid had left us.

Is it a duck, maybe a Swan, no one knows but it is cross eyed.

After leaving the hotel we head to downtown Disney to drop of the cases at the checkin, boarding passes packed in our carry on we head to MK, this is our usual last day as we like to ride the mansion and pirates before we head home and usually big thunder but it has been down all this trip so we will have to come back next year for that.
Finally they have finished painting the castle roofs so we get a picture without the cranes ( really did not think this was going to happen this trip) you can see some of the tiles are still wet must have finished it this morning.

The park is unbearable today so we ride the few things we want to and decide to head over to AK. Leaving and waiting for the ferry for the last time Joe snaps the little boats coming in to dock.

One last wistful look at the castle from the ferry and we are on our way to AK.

This park is crammed as well, must be something to do with presidents day at the end of the week. We however are not here to ride anything in particular we just want to wander through the trails with the animals so we head over to Africa and meander through the trail, then we head over to Asia the tigers on one side are very active and Joe gets this shot.

However the two in the other enclosure are snoozy, this guy was having a bad whisker day.

Just as Joe took this picture the big cat looked directly at him, got up and walked right over to him and licked the window were he was standing. This is just after he licked the window really would you want to be this close to a man eater?

After that we wandered on round the trail and got this pic of a stunning little birdie.

Heading on out we decide to have a late lunch at the Yak and Yeti quick service, this place was a real find this trip and we will be using it again in the future. It is getting to the time that we need to head for the airport so we slowly wander towards the front of the park, past the squawking Macaws again.
Do these guys ever stop squawking.

At the airport we hand the car back and go through security we don't have to wait to long before boarding and we are on our way across the pond again. Have to say this was the worst flight we have ever had, there was a young sick child in the seat opposite that screamed the whole way back, not the child's fault and I actually felt sorry for it's mother as she was getting some awful looks from other passengers but not a good flight.

Well that is it my first and probably my last trip report. I would like to thank Amy for bearing with us to the bitter end.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Yay for an awesome trip report Sleepy90! You did a great job :D Still sad there were no Sleepy and Joe photos :( but the animal pictures almost made up for that ;)
Trip reports are harder than they seem aren't they :shock: I really am going to work on getting mine completed one of these days :lol:
Glad you made it home safe and sound, even if you did have to listen to a crying child on the way...plus you left something to do for your next trip ~ smart cookie!
Sleepy90 wrote:Well that is it my first and probably my last trip report. I would like to thank Amy for bearing with us to the bitter end.
:lol: I love getting mentioned in trip reports. Makes me feel special :mrgreen: :lol:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Wed 26, 2012 5:27 pm

YES I'll be here in February and in Guest Relations over at MK at that, so I'll be even more of an info mine! :) Nothing like hopping about from park to park with Disney people and Subsonic Disney people are the best!

And that red velvet cake ladybug was so good! :wink:

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Sep Wed 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Hey!!! I enjoyed your trip report as well Sleepy! Amy wasn't the only one to bear with you until the end.

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Thu 27, 2012 2:01 am

NaCler wrote:Hey!!! I enjoyed your trip report as well Sleepy! Amy wasn't the only one to bear with you until the end.
I thought we lost you at the cheerleading. :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 27, 2012 7:25 am

Sleepy90 wrote:
NaCler wrote:Hey!!! I enjoyed your trip report as well Sleepy! Amy wasn't the only one to bear with you until the end.
I thought we lost you at the cheerleading. :lol:
Now where would you ever get that idea??
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
NaCler wrote:Excellent report Sleepy... but you lost me at cheerleading competition. Haha...
Ohhhh... :lol: :lol: :lol:

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Sep Thu 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Ouch... just because i got "lost" didn't mean that I didn't pick right back up on the rest of the trip. ;)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Thu 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:Image

However the two in the other enclosure are snoozy, this guy was having a bad whisker day.

Just as Joe took this picture the big cat looked directly at him, got up and walked right over to him and licked the window were he was standing. This is just after he licked the window really would you want to be this close to a man eater?

Kitties! :D I love kitty pictures. :D :D However, cuddle with one of these kitties and you'll never be playing the guitar again... :shock: