Jumping the Pond

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: Jumping the Pond

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Sat 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Another day dawns and we are heading out of Disney and up to the top of International drive to the outlet malls,we are going to go to Epcot later.
Yesterday between leaving AK and going into MK we sent a text to our one and only Soarin08 to let her know the British Invasion had begun and see if we could arrange to meet up, as of now we have no response but any text she sent back could be in the ether as we are working on UK networks.
The outlet mall is a little disappointing today. Normally the Disney store has something of interest even if it is just a few pins for the collection, today there is nothing. We dawdle around the rest of the mall and then decide to head back to Disney for some lunch,the only purchases today have been a few T-shirts from the Nautica store.

On the way back we decide to go to Wilderness Lodge for lunch and then a mooch around. I really like the lobby at Wilderness the carvings on the posts and the little carved animals under the registration desk. We have never eaten here before and are not quite sure where the dining area is. It does not take long to find and now what to have, I decide on something called wilderness salad and Joe is going to have a burger so we split into separate queues to order.
Joe's burger looks good but it does not hold a patch to the salad, I asked for the server to reduce everything in size but still this thing is huge, it consists of lettuce, apple, orange, chicken and the most wonderful selection of toasted nuts, absolutely superb. We take a stroll around the shop, which has some things that are only seen at wilderness lodge and I begin to wonder if it is only the deluxe resorts that have resort specific merchandise as we had noticed the same thing at Animal Kingdom Lodge last year when we visited there.

We leave Wilderness and head to Epcot. Through the gates and straight on to Spaceship Earth, then we head over to Soarin to get some fastpasses for later. Off we go on a happy jaunt around the showcase. We are not really going anywhere in particular but we do stop to watch the drummers at Japan.

Then we slowly make our way round to the front of the park to ride Soarin, then on to Test Track and a wander round Mouse Gear by this time it is dark and we decide to venture round the showcase again. This time the camera is out and we take pictures of some of the pavilions as we go.

Norway

Germany

Italy

and last but not least Japan.

We arrive back at the front of the park just in time to get a spot in watch Illuminations which as always is great and then take the Disney shuffle out of the park.

I have tried to contact Soarin08 by telephone today but am getting no reply. I'm starting to wonder if I wrote that telephone number down correctly. I hope I haven't had another Dori moment.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 02, 2012 11:05 pm

The salad from the Wilderness Lodge sounds really yummy! Was that their quick service restaurant, or food court?
Beautiful nighttime photos of the World Showcase pavilions :D
Hmmm, wondering if you and Soarin' will get to meet up on this trip or not?! You're leaving us hanging!! :shock:

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Sun 03, 2012 2:26 pm

The salad was from the quick service place and yes it was delicious. I think it is called the roaring forks but I may be wrong.
Last edited by Sleepy90 on Jun Sun 03, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:The salad was from the quick service place. I think it is called the roaring forks but I may be wrong.
We might need to investigate that next time. I've heard other good things about the Wilderness Lodge quick service. I wondered since you said you had to go in to different queues since you were ordering different things...

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Sun 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Amy wrote:
Sleepy90 wrote:The salad was from the quick service place. I think it is called the roaring forks but I may be wrong.
We might need to investigate that next time. I've heard other good things about the Wilderness Lodge quick service. I wondered since you said you had to go in to different queues since you were ordering different things...
It was a very nice place to eat, the seating area was very quiet and kind of like the interior of a fishing lodge. They had one other thing that I have never seen anywhere else apart from Peco Bills and that was a fixing's bar for your burgers. I would definetly eat there again.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:
It was a very nice place to eat, the seating area was very quiet and kind of like the interior of a fishing lodge. They had one other thing that I have never seen anywhere else apart from Peco Bills and that was a fixing's bar for your burgers. I would definetly eat there again.
A toppings bar is always a plus. I can make a nice little side salad from those :D

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Sun 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Sleepy, that's correct, Roaring Forks. It's a wonderful little QSR place. Very quiet. And like you said... BIG portions!

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Sun 10, 2012 11:23 am

Another day dawns and it is going to be a long one we are heading to Magic Kingdom for EMH tonight. The kettle is on for the tea and we are trying to figure out what to do for the early part of the day.
Decision made we are going to head to DHS and see how it goes from there.
We park the car and wander towards the park. You will have noticed by now that we hardly ever take a tram we enjoy the walk in and at studios the security bag check hardly ever has a queue when you walk.
Into the park and we head for Toy Story Mania to see if we can get a fastpass (who are we kidding) the stand by is already at 60mins and the fastpasses are for 2.30pm onwards, well thats out the window then. We pootle on down to the Backlot and head in for the tour, I like the backlot but think I prefer the way it used to be. Star tours is out because Joe is not good with simulators so we head over to Muppets always good for giggle (Up Chuck) it is still amusing. We decide to head back to the resort for an early lunch.

Lunch finished we go back to the car and head up to the Florida Mall always good for a little walk round and the occasionally thing can be picked up last time we got a light weight tripod for the camera. OH NO Harry and David's has gone what happened there?
It is getting late in the afternoon so we head back to the hotel and take a wander over to Riverside just for a little walk.

Back at the room it is time to get ready for our evening so we have shirts to iron.
Some of you will remember that it was our 25th anniversary in the July and we had decided to celebrate it on our holiday in WDW. We have a reservation booked at the California Grill at 7.45pm hopefully we will be seated in time for Wishes.
While talking through what we wanted to do and where we wanted to go to celebrate Joe came up with a brainwave. We met at High School so how about dressing in our old school uniforms for the meal. This took some doing as the only thing either of us had from the original uniform was a school tie and a prefect badge both of which were Joe's. We set about getting shirts, trousers, skirts and blazers. Joe's mother was heading up to Scotland to see some friends and so she was roped in to purchase another school tie and now the only thing we did not have where the school emblems for the blazer pockets. In the years since we left the school they no longer wore blazers and so we could not purchase these, we had a picture of the crest but every place we tried said they could not do it. We were just about to give up when Joe found an American badge making site that had no lower limit on the amount of order and so we decided to give it a go. We sent a picture of the crest to them and how many we wanted, to our amazement they sent us a quote to do the work and instructions on what to do if we wanted to purchase. Everything now in place deposit paid by paypal we sit back and wait, then we get an E-mail from the person who is making the crests for us to get details of colours for certain parts, the crests are made and a picture is E-mailed to us(these things look as good as the originals) the payment is made and now we are just waiting for the crests to arrive. There is a parcel waiting for us a couple of days later and to our amazement it has come from Poland, an American site and a Polish seamstress have completed our plan.

Dressed in uniforms we head over to the Contemporary and sign in at the desk, while waiting for the lift to come we chat to another couple who are also waiting, they want to know what the crests are and so begins an evening to remember.
We are seated straight away and the hostess wishes us a Happy Anniversary, We are not right beside the window but the table has a great view of the castle. Joe ordered some sort of squash soup and I had a lump crab stack. Just as this arrived Wishes kicked off the music was piped into the restaurant quite low but still you could hear it and you could go out onto the terrace to watch if you wanted to, we decided to stay were we where as the fireworks were going offset to the castle (still the place to see them is the bridge in front of the castle) and so the view would not have been any better from outside. Our server was very nice and I am sorry I cannot remember his name he came back and took our orders for dinner. Joe had Buffalo and I had fillet steak with PURPLE potatoes. Just before dinner was served the restaurant manager came over and wished us a Happy Anniversary that was a nice touch we thought. Dessert and finally I hear you say some pictures, we are not used to taking pictures of our food.
Joe had Banana Caramel

and I had the cookie platter.

After we had finished we ventured out onto the terrace to take a few pictures, it had to be done I mean when do you get the chance of taking a picture of the castle from this height.

and Space Mountain.

The water pageant was still on Bay Lake so we stood and watched that, no pictures everything was streaky.

We leave the car and walk into Magic Kingdom, we are getting a few enquiring glances but after the first few we didn't notice all that much. Over to the TTA I love riding this at night but it was not running so into Buzz instead. We wander through Fantasyland and I think about the Carousel but not in this skirt, so on to the Haunted Mansion and then over to Pirates the park is nice and quiet, there are still quite a few people about but nowhere near the capacity of the daytime.
Joe decides that he would like that shot of the castle that we have during the day at night and so we position ourselves in front of the castle with camera pointing skyward, you would not believe how many people came through that drawbridge at looked up to see what we were doing while we were waiting for the castle to change back to its natural white.

Some people even approached us with their photopass in hand for us to take a picture of them, you should have seen the look on one woman's face as I explained that we were guests as well, it was all good fun. That picture out of the way we headed over to crystal palace for this one.

It was well after midnight now and we were starting to flag so we wandered over to the brigde at Tomorrwland and took these before we headed out of the park.

Back at the hotel Joe checks his phone and we have a message from Soarin. Hooray the number was right but its too late to do anything now so I will ring her tomorrow when she finishes work.
We have had a wonderful evening the food was excellent we no doubt will visit the California Grill again sometime for dinner and we will definitely do Magic Kingdom again for EMH.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Beautiful pictures once again! What a lovely way to celebrate your anniversary! Did you take any photos of yourselves all dressed up to share with us?
How were the purple potatoes? I've seen them here and there but never tried them myself. Sounds like a perfect day :D

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Sun 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Amy wrote:Beautiful pictures once again! What a lovely way to celebrate your anniversary! Did you take any photos of yourselves all dressed up to share with us?
How were the purple potatoes? I've seen them here and there but never tried them myself. Sounds like a perfect day :D
No pictures of us in our garb. I hate cameras :roll:
The purple potatoes tasted just the same as any other potato and if you closed your eyes you would never have known the difference :shock: the fillet steak was one of the best I have ever had. I like my steak well done and this often leads to it being a little dry but not this little beauty it was moist and succulent.
It really was a wonderful way to celebrate and we both had a perfect day. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 10, 2012 4:19 pm

How about just a photo of the patches then. Sounds like you went to a lot of trouble and they turned out well ~ wouldn't you like to show them off a bit? ;)

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » Jun Mon 11, 2012 5:17 am

Hmmm I will see what I can do about the crests. In the meantime I missed a picture from the last lot (slap my wrists) so I have been told, here it is the Grand Floridian from the terrace and Joe says you will know how long the exposure is because that streak on the water is the water pageant. See told you the pictures of it were streaky. :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Mon 11, 2012 7:39 am

Very pretty! Did he use a tripod or has he sworn off caffeine? ;)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jun Tue 12, 2012 7:07 am

Amy wrote:Very pretty! Did he use a tripod or has he sworn off caffeine? ;)
My question exactly.

I love your story about recreating your school uniforms. There's always an American company willing to make or come up with whatever you're looking for, if you're willing to pay the price. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Wed 13, 2012 9:38 am

Love the pic of the Grand, I just hope the fact I have always enjoyed that resort so much doesn't diminish now that I work there. Tends to happen, sadly. :(