DisneyYorkie's Great Orlando Odyssey (GOO)

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

DisneyYorkie's Great Orlando Odyssey (GOO)

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Tue 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Left Maryland's eastern shore on Friday and stayed in Florence, SC which is almost exactly halfway to Orlando. We arrived in Kissimmee on Saturday evening. :D

We are staying at a villa within about a 15 minute drive to the main gates. I have stayed on property and loved it, but I really, really like this villa. For an extended stay, I think 400-700 square feet would get me a little claustrophobic pretty quickly!

If you are going to be making a Disney trip, I would highly recommend Heavenly Holiday Homes http://www.heavenlyholidayhomes.com/. Their service is exceptional and so far (from booking, to checking in, to our first days here) I have nothing but good things to say about the home and our rental agent! :goofy_bounce:

On Sunday, we spent our first of eight Disney days at Epcot. We were originally going to begin at AK, but when I read about Test Track being open for its last day on Sunday, we decided to do Epcot since TT is one of DD and DH favorite rides. Indeed, the first thing the CM at the ticket booth told us after we purchased our tickets is that we should be sure to ride TT because Sunday was its LAST day!!

The weather was absolutely wonderful, with temps running around the 75 degree mark :D . It was quite windy, however.

When we arrived SE was pretty jammed up, so we decided to try it later and went directly to TT and FP'ed it. The wait for The Seas with Nemo was short so we did that first. We pretty much walked onto it. Image

By the time we were done The Seas, Spaceship Earth had cleared out and we rode that. That was a BLAST. :D The interactive portion of the ride is a lot of fun and if it can make a teenager laugh, it's gotta be doing something right! :lol: Some of the ride is the same as I remember from 2006, but some things have changed, most notably the scenes of the "first computer" which apparently is neither Steven Jobs nor Wozniak. For those of you who are interested, here is an interesting story http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/ ... 8/01/epcot

After SE, we headed over to Mission Space, which had virtually no wait, and did the Green, Less Intense flight training. Lots of fun. Since the Orange mission eats adults and we had no desire to be sick the rest of the day, we don't do Orange. :lol:

After Mission Space we were within our FP time for TT, so we rode that. Excellent ride. We would have FP'ed it again but windows were running in the late eve times and we didn't want it to interfere with Illuminations.

Next we headed for the Land. Stand by times for Soarin were crazy long so we FP'ed and did Living with the Land. I did not miss the live tour guide and the narration was quite good. Had a snack in Seasons food court and went to check out Universe of Energy. No wait time, so we walked right in and saw UoE. Nothing has changed about that since 2006 that I can discern.

Next we did some shopping at MouseGear. Didn't buy anything, but MouseGear is a great store, so we always do some pre-shopping and pick up what we really want on our second Epcot Day. We always buy a "year" mug to commemorate our trip but were disappointed to learn that this years mug is not microwaveable. :roll: It's probably not enough to make us not buy it, but a disappointment, nonetheless.

We headed to the Cooling Station to sample Coke products from around the World and then, fully charged with caffeine, we did Journey into Imagination with Figment. Never been one of my favorites since they changed the "host" to Eric Idle, but we wanted to make sure DD saw all the major attractions so we did it.

Our final attraction of the day was Soarin. I absolutely love Soarin', more so every time I ride it! It is one of the few simulator-type rides that I can do without getting sick!

After Soarin' we wanted to have dinner (and there was no food back at the house yet so this was kind of a necessity). We had hoped to eat at La Cantina De San Angel, but it was packed, most likely with folks wanting to "eat" and catch Illuminations with a great viewing spot :evil: . So, despite our plan to do Future World on Epcot Day 1 and not head over to World Showcase until Epcot Day 2, we ended up in World Showcase at the American Adventure's Liberty Inn for burgers, dogs, and Mac and Cheese for DD. It was a good, basic meal, even better when you're starving!

We found a reasonable location across from Italy to see Illuminations. It is a very close call which is my personal favorite: Illuminations or Fantasmic. <guys can tune out here> Fantasmic doesn't start the waterworks for me like Illuminations does, but Fantasmic has a childish, fantasy quality to it that Illuminations does not. <guys can tune back in now>. With that, our first Disney day was at an end.

Day 4 of the GOO (Disney Day 2) was spent at Blizzard Beach. The past several times we have visited, we have done so when Blizzard Beach was being refurbished, so we had not seen BB in quite awhile. BB does not have nearly the number of slides and attractions that Typhoon Lagoon does, so we thought, being still rather exhausted from a 12 hour Epcot day, that we would do BB first. It was a beautiful weather day and we virtually had the park to ourselves. I have never been to a Disney water park when it was this uncrowded. Other than very brief waits for Downhill Double Dipper and Summit Plummit, everything else was walk-right-on. The family raft ride, Teamboat Springs, is my favorite here. I am not much of a slide fan. I can't do anything that requires lying on the stomach to slide because I dislocated my shoulder a number of years ago and am terrified of doing it again. That means that Toboggan Racers and Snow Stormers are out for me. I did do Runoff Rapids with DD but am not fond of the 150+ steps to get to it! It is a GREAT ride though. We had a counter service meal at LottaWattaLodge. DH and I shared a stacked club sandwich and fries, which was excellent and the three of us shared a ridiculously priced container of "cheesecake" with virtually no crust and no topping at all. At a price of over three dollars, I can't recommend the cheesecake. :x

BB closed at 5, not 6, so we were a little disappointed at that. But we had plenty of lazy river and wave pool time, so in general, we had a wonderful day. In general, unless something disastrous really happens, my motto is, "It's Disney, I'm not complaining!"

For the next three days, DH will be working, DD will be doing school and I will be attending to our real estate business, so there won't be much to report. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday will all be park days, so I will report on those NEXT Tuesday.
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: DisneyYorkie's Great Orlando Odyssey (GOO)--Days 1-4

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Sounds like a great start to your month of living in Florida!
I tried a snack sized mac and cheese for dinner one night at the American pavilion's restaurant and was pleasantly surprised. Creamy and quite tasty.
We've never been to the water parks, but if we went, I would want to go when you did. I would enjoy it so much more with less guests I'm sure :D
May I ask how you are doing your tickets? Did you get an 8 day pass and are planning on using them within that 14 day time-frame?

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Wed 18, 2012 11:40 am

Amy wrote:Sounds like a great start to your month of living in Florida!
I tried a snack sized mac and cheese for dinner one night at the American pavilion's restaurant and was pleasantly surprised. Creamy and quite tasty.
We've never been to the water parks, but if we went, I would want to go when you did. I would enjoy it so much more with less guests I'm sure :D
May I ask how you are doing your tickets? Did you get an 8 day pass and are planning on using them within that 14 day time-frame?
My daughter really liked the Mac and Cheese. Even her dad, who is pretty picky about M&C thought it was pretty good! :D

As far as the tickets go, we bought 8 day tickets with the water parks and more option and we plan on using the in the 14 day time frame. In the past, we have opted for Park Hopper, but found that it was a complete waste of money because we realized how much time we were using to actually do the hopping. We find it far more efficient to do a Park from open to close and then move on to a different park another day. The option to make the tickets usable beyond the 14 day window was just completely off the charts price-wise and we couldn't see forking out the money for it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 18, 2012 12:10 pm

I wondered if that was your plan on the tickets once you started your trip report. And you always have the option of adding another day late in your trip if you really want to...

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Wed 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Amy wrote:I wondered if that was your plan on the tickets once you started your trip report. And you always have the option of adding another day late in your trip if you really want to...
Here is what I am wondering: I bought 8 day tickets. I have to use them in 14 days. Let's say I get to day 14 and I want to add another day so my younger daughter can visit the parks with her older sister who is joining us later in the month. Can I do that? I don't see how because that day would then be beyond the 14 day window. If you could do that, there would never be any reason for anyone to pick the non-expire option because you could just keep adding days to the end. Am I missing something or do you see it that way too? :?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 18, 2012 1:17 pm

DisneyYorkie wrote:
Amy wrote:I wondered if that was your plan on the tickets once you started your trip report. And you always have the option of adding another day late in your trip if you really want to...
Here is what I am wondering: I bought 8 day tickets. I have to use them in 14 days. Let's say I get to day 14 and I want to add another day so my younger daughter can visit the parks with her older sister who is joining us later in the month. Can I do that? I don't see how because that day would then be beyond the 14 day window. If you could do that, there would never be any reason for anyone to pick the non-expire option because you could just keep adding days to the end. Am I missing something or do you see it that way too? :?
I would ask at one of the guest relations booths at the parks. But I think you are correct, you couldn't add more on the 14th day. You might be able to add another day while you were still inside that window though ~ but maybe not. I know you can upgrade to an annual pass during your ticket time-frame, but I'm not sure about adding individual days.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Apr Wed 18, 2012 7:37 pm

So you're only going to the parks 8 days out of the month you'll be there? I think I just got confused...
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 18, 2012 7:47 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:So you're only going to the parks 8 days out of the month you'll be there? I think I just got confused...
She's mentioned it before, in other places, but here's the gist yodiwan1....Her DH is working, DD is schooling and DisneyYorkie is working as well on part of the days of the week while they are there. Plus they'll be taking in some other Florida sights...

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Apr Wed 18, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm just crious, whats the drice difference between the 8 day adn the annual? ya never know when you may be bored and just go for a little, plus some discounts.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Thu 19, 2012 8:17 am

Amy wrote:
yodiwan1 wrote:So you're only going to the parks 8 days out of the month you'll be there? I think I just got confused...
She's mentioned it before, in other places, but here's the gist yodiwan1....Her DH is working, DD is schooling and DisneyYorkie is working as well on part of the days of the week while they are there. Plus they'll be taking in some other Florida sights...
Yes, that is the gist! :lol:
DH works Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday...10 hour days so no park possibilities there!
DD is still finishing up her homeschool year: reading A Tale of Two Cities and doing SAT prep.
We own our own real estate brokerage and I'm tending to business while I'm away.
8 days was all we could manage, given economic constraints PLUS, we are doing four days at Universal. We are actually doing all the Park days in the first three weeks so that the last week is pretty much "relaxing" time.

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Thu 19, 2012 8:30 am

yodiwan1 wrote:I'm just crious, whats the drice difference between the 8 day adn the annual? ya never know when you may be bored and just go for a little, plus some discounts.
Yes, we thought about it, however, economically it just wasn't in the cards. Our 8 day passes were 330 apiece. So for the three of us with tax it was over 1K. The annual passes are $649. We DID consider the annuals but with DH work schedule, we just didn't think we could justify it. A number of years ago, we did purchase annual passes because at that time we were homeschooling BOTH girls and knew that we would return to Florida not only for the trip on which we purchased the annual passes but the NEXT year as well, within the year time frame, so it made sense. If we had been absolutely SURE we would have visited next year, we probably would have managed to justify the annual passes. Problem is, DD wants to finish out her school career (she'll be a senior next year) at the same school she attended from 2006 to 2011. So we would only be able to travel around the school calendar.

Bottom line: it was economics that drove our decision.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Thu 19, 2012 12:01 pm

DisneyYorkie wrote:
Bottom line: it was economics that drove our decision.

Pretty sure everyone in this group can identify with that. :) I know I can!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Apr Thu 19, 2012 1:12 pm

yup, now I get it, have fun!

DisneyYorkie

DisneyYorkie's Great Orlando Odyssey (GOO)--Days 5-11

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Wed 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Arrggh...I started this message once and thought I saved it, but when I went back to drafts, it wasn't there...sigh...

Anyway...

Days 5-7 were work and school days for us. Not much to do other than lounge around the pool and do work and school. Life's tough :lol:

Day 8 was our first of two MK days. We arrived later than I would have liked and the park was plenty full! We FPd Space Mountain and Buzz LY and did CoP, Peoplemover, and Speedway in the meantime. We then went back and did SM and BL. Afterwards, we headed over to Fantasyland and FPd Pooh and got a surprise FP for Mickey's Philharmagic which promptly broke (although the CM said it was because Goofy had puked during the last performance :shock: ). We wasted about 30 minutes but eventually got to see it...it's one of my favorites. About the time we came out we had a HUGE thunderstorm with pouring rain. We managed to make it back to our locker before the big downpour and got our ponchos. I could tell everyone's energy was flagging so I grabbed a Coke and some overpriced Character Gummies. The combination of caffeine and sugar improved everyone's disposition. We waited out the worst of the storm and resumed touring.

The rain did accomplish clearing out the park quite a bit so we were able to do Pooh, Snow White, Peter Pan and Small World in pretty rapid succession. We had a very late lunch at Columbia Harbour House. The fried fish was outstanding!

We decided to walk through the Fantasyland expansion, which was pretty cool and rode the Railroad for the entire circuit back to Storybook Circus. We tried to ride Dumbo but another storm came through and they shoo'd us out of line. We trooped back through Fantasyland and almost walked right on to Haunted Mansion.

We headed to Adventureland and FPd Jungle Cruise which was not operating at that time. We quickly rode Alladin's Magic Carpets and saw the Tiki Room, and then rode Pirates. After Pirates, we checked out JC which was open and deserted. We had never ridden JC at night, so that was really different for us.

DH decided he wanted to ride the Speedway again and DD went with him. I headed back to Tomorrowland to check out the standby line for SM. It was 35 minutes so I FPd it. By the time DH and DD got back, we still had another 20 minutes to wait for our FP time at SM so I just gave the FPs to some folks that passed by and we headed out. We caught the end of Spectromagic (second performance) and headed out of the Park.

Day 9 was our second Epcot day. We did most of Future World on Epcot Day 1, so we started in World Showcase. We watched O Canada, followed by Voices of Liberty (waterworks again) and then American Adventure, which my DD and DH yawn through but I don't care :P . Then we watched Matsuriza, which is always a fantastic performance and my DH's favorite in Epcot. By that time, it was time to head for The Garden Grille for our first character meal. It was OUTSTANDING. Our waitress was wonderful, her service impeccable. We had roast turkey and dressing, sirloin served over mashed potatoes and a beautiful fish served over fresh vegetables. DD also got to have drumsticks and mac and cheese (which was phenomenal). Our second serving of sirloin was way too rare for me and even for my husband. So we just mentioned to our waitress that for our next serving we would like to have cooked a little longer. Not 5 minutes after, the CHEF shows up at our table with an order of VERY nicely done sirloin. Impressive! :D

After dinner we felt we had covered enough of WC so we did Mexico and Norway. Maelstrom is one of my favorite rides. Mexico is just plain boring. It really makes no cohesive sense anymore. The best part is passing the volcano at the beginning and seeing the "fireworks" near the end of the ride. The stuff in between is just fluff.

Since it was our last day at Epcot, we decided to do Spaceship Earth again and DD and DH played some of the interactive stuff afterwords. We were worn out at that point and headed out of the park.

Day 10 was our only Animal Kingdom day. Coincidentally it was also Earth Day and AK's birthday. We hugged a tree as soon as we arrived, but not the Tree of Life, since one of the branches had fallen off the night before and the attraction was closed.

We headed to Dinoland where DD and DH rode Primeval Whirl. I can't do things that spin....makes me sick. So I waited for them and while waiting, it started raining. Alas, no ponchos (they were in the locker). DH went to retrieve said ponchos, and it became clear that it was ONLY raining in Dinoland....I'm not kidding here....at the lockers at the main gate it was NOT raining. When DH arrived back in Dinoland it was!

DH went to FP Expedition Everest. While we waited we had a snack and watched the live Nemo show, which was excellent as always. Then we all rode EE together. Once was enough for my DH but DD and I wanted to ride again so we FPd it in hopes that we would be in the neighborhood later. We did the Maharajah Jungle Trek and Flights of Wonder then returned for another ride on EE. Lines had decreased a good bit so we used our FPs and THEN rode AGAIN by using the singles line. It is one terrific ride. Our second FP we road in the last car, which I must say is a very different sensation then riding in other parts of the train. The only other attractions we wanted to do were the Safari and Kali River Rapids. DD has a thing about walking around a theme park wet (go figure) so we had to do KRR last. We did Kali together twice and then DH and I did it once without DD. We didn't eat at AK other than eating from our small packs...pretzels, fruit snacks, etc.

Day 11 was our one and only day at DHS. Our cram driver cautioned us on the way to the gate that FPs for the new Midway Mania ride are usually gone by noon, so DH headed over to get a FP for it as soon as we entered the park. Our return time was not until 4:50! So we started with the Great Movie Ride then did Standby for Voyage of the LM. Afterwards, we were just in time to watch Beauty and the Beast. We were going to FP ToT but standby was only a 20 minute wait, so we decided to go ahead and ride and decided to FP RNRC instead. I had already decided that I was going to try ToT since I hadn't ridden it in so many years. DD was freaking me out because SHE was nervous, but I hung tough and was determined to ride the thing. And, wonder of wonders, I LOVED it. It has become one of my favorite rides! The lines were not bad at all, so DD and I rode it a second and then a THIRD time and practically walked on. DHS seemed quite crowded but the rides didn't reflect that at all.

We ate at the Commissary, standard burger fare, but good when you're really hungry! Headed back over to ride RNRC. First time I've ever ridden and kept my eyes open the entire time! It was awesome.

Crisscrossed the park and saw the Lights, Motors, Action!® Extreme Stunt Show®. That is really an outstanding show, in my opinion.

Did Muppets 3D and then the Backlot Tour where I snapped the coolest pic. If you look closely, you can see the Mickey reflection in the shot! Pretty good for a camera phone!

It was time to use our FPs to ride Midway Mania. I don't really understand the hoopla. It is cool, I agree, the 3D midway games, but it isn't a whole lot different than Buzz Lightyear except for the 3D part. DH really liked it though.

We decided we wanted to see the 8:30 showing of Fantasmic. Unfortunately we arrived when there was only standing room only. We decided to do it anyway. It was wonderful, although not as wonderful if we could have been seated. We were going to take turkey legs in but decided against that when we found out we would have to be standing. So we ditched the turkey leg idea and decided to just get hotdogs from the vendor inside Fantasmic. Only problem is that when DH went to get the hotdogs, they were SOLD OUT. So, we ended up eating from our packs and sharing beef jerky, cookies and DD's chocolate caramel corn!

Headed out of the park worn out and with aching feet and glad that we had three days of work to "recover." :lol:

Days 12-14 are work and school days. Older DD joins us on Day 14, so we are excited about that. We still have one MK day and a water park day left (intend to do Typhoon Lagoon) and then we will do four days at Universal.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: DisneyYorkie's Great Orlando Odyssey (GOO)--Days 5-11

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Wow ~ you packed a lot into your days. It sounds like you had fun conquering Tower of Terror!
Looking forward to the next installment :D
Your pic on the tram with the Earful Tower is pretty cool!