Thoughts on Akershus, 1900 Park Fare?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Thoughts on Akershus, 1900 Park Fare?

Post by Len90 » Apr Mon 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Amy wrote:
Len90 wrote:...last year we set a new record in number of characters we met over our stay....
Was that helped out just a teeny bit by your unexpected extra days?
Yeah it was helped thanks to the 5 extra days in Florida (3 of which were at the parks). However, we still had seen a ton of characters last year.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DisneyYorkie » Apr Mon 02, 2012 6:37 pm

SorcererDonald16 wrote: On a less important note-- How do y'all feel going to meals like this without children? I'm in my late 20s, and I love "fur character" meals, but I have never been big on face characters. I think I've met two in 13 trips (Mulan in China; Cinderella at CRT dinner 4 years ago). I just feel kind of awkward and self-conscious around them. Never even met my favorite human (part human?) Disney character, Ariel, because of this. I'm going to buck up and try one of these meals, but just not sure what to expect. My mom thinks it'll be fun at either place; my dad doesn't know about my decision yet, and I think he is going to be in this for the food alone and just have to humor us like he does at Afternoon Tea. :lol:

Any thoughts, reviews, or food pics would be so appreciated!
Try NOT to feel awkward or self-conscious. I'm 50 and I am SOOOOO looking forward to my upcoming 3 character meals! My youngest is 15 and she is psyched as well. Enjoy the food, enjoy your family while you are there and, you can always just smile and wave at the characters as they pass your table. I'm sure they see folks all day that aren't eager to pose with a character or get their autograph!
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

SorcererDonald16
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by SorcererDonald16 » Apr Tue 03, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks to all for the advice/reviews. I still haven't decided yet (unusual for me, because I usually make my dining decisions quickly), but am leaning towards trying to find some way to try both on different days. The mushroom pasta entree at Akershus is right up my alley (I love pasta, and I love mushrooms!), but food overall at PF sounds good to me too. Will see.

Ideally, I would like to chuck Le Cellier because I had a horrible meal there last year (among other things, I had to send my steak back 3 times before the cook got it right; wanted it well done, and it was still raw :roll: ), but it was always so yummy before, that I'm giving it another try.
DisneyYorkie wrote:Try NOT to feel awkward or self-conscious. I'm 50 and I am SOOOOO looking forward to my upcoming 3 character meals! My youngest is 15 and she is psyched as well. Enjoy the food, enjoy your family while you are there and, you can always just smile and wave at the characters as they pass your table. I'm sure they see folks all day that aren't eager to pose with a character or get their autograph!
This is good advice, thanks! Between myself and my family, there have been a lot of health issues to deal with the past few years, but so far things are going better now, and I am going to just try and enjoy wherever I eat. Doubt I will just wave, but I am at a loss over what in the world one says to Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, or Drizella if I got to PF. :lol:

I think part of my unease over this comes from the first face character I did meet, Mulan. She was just standing there with no line, so I went over to her to get my picture taken with her and she was not very nice. Just acted kind of rude and annoyed and didn't even try to talk to me when I tried to talk to her (and I adore Mulan). She barely even smiled in the picture. :lol: Cinderella was not rude, but not overly friendly either. I guess that stuck with me, now that I think about it.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 03, 2012 11:48 am

Unfortunately I cannot add too much to this conversation, but I did visit Akershus way back ('92) before the Princesses were even a thought for that restaurant. But I can add this...I didn't care much for the food because I do not eat seafood and about the only thing I truly enjoyed was the bread and the cucumber salad. (I was with a group) The atmosphere was great though.
I imagine it's quite different now.
We were going to go to PF on this past trip, but things didn't work out...there's always next time! :D

I'm not really good with interacting with face characters either...especially an over the top Mad Hatter! :shock: I haven't really been able to interact with Lady Tremaine and fam, but I would think since they're villains it would be easy to do.

Have fun with whichever one you end up with! :D

Mark86
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Mark86 » Apr Tue 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Amy- yes, although we didn't reach my goal of doing every meet n greet. As for maturity level, mid teens for Len and I at most :D (I am being generous).

Coming from a 25 y/o, I am looking forward to trying Akershus this year for dinner. I am looking forward to the food in addition to the character experience. Nothing weird about being a kid again (or never growing up)!
Mark86

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 04, 2012 7:39 am

Mark86 wrote:Amy- yes, although we didn't reach my goal of doing every meet n greet. As for maturity level, mid teens for Len and I at most :D (I am being generous).

Coming from a 25 y/o, I am looking forward to trying Akershus this year for dinner. I am looking forward to the food in addition to the character experience. Nothing weird about being a kid again (or never growing up)!
Might that looking forward to eating there have anything to do with the Princesses you will be meeting?? ;)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Wed 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Mark86 wrote:Amy- yes, although we didn't reach my goal of doing every meet n greet. As for maturity level, mid teens for Len and I at most :D (I am being generous).

FWIW, my point-of-view on Akershus is that it should be skipped. We went in 2001 and loved it (not a Princess event) because the food was very good and the dining experience was semi-authentic. We went again in 2008 and the food was mediocre at best. The characters were fine, but my girls were 9 and 13, a little past the age of wanting to be a princess when they grew up.

And also FWIW, I hope I never grow up.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016